Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants.

I really wanted to love Eat Me, because I really love vanilla cake. One of my favorite scents is VS's "Vanilla Lace" which smells just like vanilla cake to me. So I was hoping Eat Me would be a good BPAL alternative.

Unfortunately, Eat Me is so sweet I can't wear it. This seems to be my fate with BPAL dessert/ sweet scents: I had the same luck with Bliss, Gluttony, Snake Oil and Vice. It's just too cloying, and makes me sneeze.

EDIT:

My initial response was very negative, but after some time I wanted to revisit the perfume.

It's growing on me! I had some very strong preconceived notions about what Eat Me should smell like. Now that I know what it smells like and don't expect ti to be anything else, I find I like it. It's still a bit heavily sweet. IT doesn't smell like cake so much as just...super sweetness.

I"m stlll searching for my perfect foody. But I don't hate this. Wouldn't buy a bottle. But it's okay. Edited by Persephanise

I got this in my first order, on the recommendation of a friend.

Imp: Cake. Definitely cake.

Wet: Vanilla, sweet, cake, yum.

Dry: There are the currants, peeking out from the vanilla.

Verdict: Edible.

Eat Me:

Nnnnnnguh. Eat Me smells like rich, dark, buttery vanilla, sugar, and toffee, so decadent it's reading as alcoholic and smokey to my nose. It's like Snake Oil, but less potentially overwhelming/nauseating in throw and density. It lasts and lasts and lasts. The smokey baking smell is topped with a sweet waft, which must be the rich currants. Currants work really well on me, as evidence by Megaera and Cheshire Cat. This is in the same family as the 2007 LE Chanukkiyah, but more fruity goodness, less sensual skin-licking. This is the PG-13 counterpoint Chanukkiyah's R rating. :P

Buttery pastry crust and custard, mostly, very vanilla. There's a juicy red cherry somewhere in the room but it's elusive--there's definitely cherry pie filling somewhere in here but it doesn't come forward like a whole cherry pie, more like the hint of cherry when it's used as a filling between two layers of cake.

The butteriness fades somewhat as it wears, and the crust and custard turn into a gentle and sweet angelfood with powdered white sugar on the top. Beautiful stuff.

Lobster Rating

better than: bubble bath

Imp: Sweet, sweet, sweet, like sugar.

Wet: Sweet and light, with a hint of vanilla.

Drydown and hours afterwards: This scent is probably the most consistent BPAL scent I've tried. It smells exactly as it did when I first put it on, which is nice because my chemistry seems to mess up many scents. Very sweet and lovely, with a hint of vanilla. Not a ton of staying power but definitely worth it anyway.

In the bottle: Vanilla cakes

Wet on my skin: The cakes disappear, I can smell the vanilla, and the fruit way in the background, it is very yummy!!

Dry: Very sweet vanilla!! Gorgeous!

The vanilla in this makes me think of Snake Oil. A very sweet Snake Oil! :P I will definitely be keeping this one!! :D

EDIT: I wore this again the other day, and it didn't smell the same on me as I have described above! :) It smelt heavy-sweet, if that makes sense? Maybe like a really heavy sponge cake, no sweet vanilla smell. :D I will try it again in a few days, and see what happens, before I decide whether or not to add this to my swap list! I want my original review to be true to my skin and nose again! What happened?

Edited by violetflower

WOW.

(Octopod:) I'd usually avoided foody scents on the basis that I didn't want to smell like cake unless I'd actually come by it honestly, i.e. made a cake, but got this as a freebie in my last order so I figured we should try it.

So, yeah. It pretty much does what it says, on both of us. It's buttery, vanilla-y cakes with red currants -- no black currant. This is outrageously true to scent, and really yummy smelling. The only problem is that I still am not sure I want to smell like a cake, but I'll be keeping this anyhow just because it's so entertainingly, deliciously, bizarrely cakey. Better than any other foody scent I've sniffed.

Wet: Ooohhh... vanilla? Vanilla cake? This smells divine!

Dry: The currants have come out to play! This is a creamy, rich, delicious cake. The throw on this is average, and it lasted for hours on me.

I love me some foody scents!

On a scale of 1-5, I'd give this a 4.5.

Big bottle plz! :P

It's a wondrously transporting scent that I find comforting and warming. :P For me the strongest note seems to be almost cinnamon like which probably is the currant. All wrapped in a buttery coating.

I like this one when I want to feel cozy and secure. It's a perfect scent for the winter months and I can't see this one in hot weather as it has such a warming effect.

It does have something of an incensey feel to it overall which is perfect for contemplating Alice's adventures.

Two things:

--I love foody scents. Annick Goutal's Eau de Charlotte is one of my all-time faves, and it's reminiscent of Eat Me.

--I'm always looking out for scents my daughters (7 and 10) can wear. This is one. :P

Starts out cake, goes to vanilla, ends up currants, then the cake comes back. Delicious. Must get bottle.

Edited by MeiLin

this is totally angelfood cake. I love angelfood cake. I would rather have angelfood than any other cake. :P

after it dries down, it's a little bit fruitier and I swear I get a hint of almond extract. so so yummie!

I think I need a bottle of this.

It's absolutely gorgeous. yus.

In the vial - Sweet and rich, with the barest hint of fruit. It's like a homemade victoria sponge cake just out of the oven.

Wet on the skin - A strong blend of vanilla cake and dried fruits. It's wonderful. All lovers of foody scents should buy a bottle of this! Though it's rich and sweet, it lacks the buttery note that I personally dislike and is less imposing than some other cakey BPAL blends.

Next stages - I agree with those who have identifed this as angelfood cake rather than something more buttery. It's warm and delicious, but not too heavy.

Dry down - I believe this blend actually get stronger as it dries. Certainly its throw is impressive. Despite this, it stays sweet and sponge cake like, never becoming too rich.

Similar scents - Monster Bait:Closet, Cockaigne.

In the vial: Vanilla-ish, and I swear I can smell... I want to say, lemons, or perhaps a custard? Either way, it's desertful and it strongly reminds me of Midnight Kiss for some reason. I wanna say it's the currants.

Wet: Caaaake. More cake, and more of that custardy smell. Maybe that's currants?

Dry: It mellows out a bit, I think, but it's still there, going "Look at me, I'm cake!" Is... is it bad that I'm half tempted to lick my wrist?

After a while: I want to say it's about the same, although for some reason a lot of scents tend to disappear on me, and this makes me sad.

Overall: ...Hmm. It's a very interesting scent, but I'm not sure what I think yet. I kind of like it after a second test, but I'm worried that family members will find it too strong. I'll have to hold onto this one.

Mmmmm.

This was my first bpal love. The minute I sniffed the imp, I knew I needed a bottle of this. Rich, delicious white cake. Not the the overly sugary frosting, just pure fresh moist cake. Decadent.

At first I could really only notice the vanilla, but once on the skin the currant starts peeking out, adding a layer of depth to the scent. It's so sweet and warm and comforting. Simply wonderful.

This was my first order and my first 5ml. Its simply amazing. I'd love to devour the scent if only it was a dessert :P. If your a vanilla fan I'd definently recomend it and its not an amazingly foody scent.

This was a frottle. I never would have tried it on my own, and that would have been sad.

In the bottle: caaaaaaaake. Fiance wants me to try this one asap.

Wet: I smell a lot more currant than anything. Cake is still there.

Dry: Wow, I usually don't like desserty scents at all because they are too cloying, but this smells like gourmet vanilla cake with a hint of currant. My mouth is actually watering. I keep sniffing it. I'm sniffing it right now. I love. This makes me wonder if I should consider more BPAL foodiness in the future. mm.

still sniffing.

This is my first BPAL purchase! Eat Me! What a great way to start off, eh?! :D I love this!

In the Bottle: Sweet Cake with a heavy Currant note

Drydown: AMAZING! The sweetness of the currant is definitely still prominant, but the sweet cake comes out more.

Totally loving this. :P

Source: Imp from the lab

I love foodie scents, but was worried that this might be too foodie for everyday, outside wear. I was remaining optimistic, and my optimism was rewarded! On me, the currant scent is very subtle, and the vanilla and cake scents are warm and yet not too strong. The cake scent is so warm and inviting! Yum and ummm! :P

Eat Me has been a long-term favorite comfort scent of mine (I’ve adored it since my very first order).

However, it’s an ever-changing, tricky little blend on my skin.

Sometimes it’s ATOMIC-SUGAR-CRYSTAL-COVERED-CURRANT-GUM-DROP Single Note (I really amp sweet and fruit notes, and few notes can rival what my skin will do with a red currant), but other times, it’s a rich, creamy Beaver Moon base, with a touch of currants, and sometimes Snake Oil’s spices mixed in.

…Other times I get the angry, shave foamy-almost-baby-powdery-musk that Snake Oil gives me on the wet stages (which, terrifies me), but then it backs down to one of the previously mentioned scents… and other times it takes on a slightly honeyed and/or brown sugar note mixed with one of the above renditions… which is something I’ve sometimes picked up in the Snake Pit blends as well.

…and, take any of the above combinations, and throw in a that light, elusive cake base, and maybe, maybe a twist of vanilla (vanilla is something that will rarely ever even make the slightest of appearances on my skin) that’s the rarest of Eat Me experiences I’ve had… but definitely my favorite.

…and something new: lately, I swear I’ve been getting a touch of lemon (or some sort of sweet, but naturally sweet, not sugared or candied yellow that reads as citrus), which has helped tame the currants and tie the blend together more, and it appears as a new twist in any of the renditions I’ve already described.

When I apply this oil, I don’t always get the scent result I’m hoping for, but the majority of the time, it’s still highly enjoyable – and I am absolutely thrilled it’s a in the General Catalogue. :P

in the bottle: sugary butter cream. yum!

wet on skin: more of the same. this is what i had hoped MB:Closet would be like, but wasnt on me.

dry down: oh. my. goddess. this has the currant-incense quality of Crumpet Rebellion with a dash of honey and a big dollop of cream.

in all: FANTASTIC! :P :D :D

Wet on me: cotton candy and caramel. Almost cloying in its sweetness.

Dry down: vanilla cupcake for the next hour or so eventually fading to warm vanilla.

Verdict: I'll keep the imp for when I want to feel like a child. The eventual hint of vanilla after an hour is pleasant and not so childlike. I never did get any hint of fruitiness.

In the imp, caramel, sugar and melted butter! When applied, vanilla and caramel. The currant makes it appearance. When dried, it really smells like white cake! It's fantastic! :P

Imp: Heady and sweet and very true to the scent of cake and currants. I'm not a food scent person, so I'm a wee bit afraid.

Wet: CAKE! I smell like a delicious cake.

Dry: Mmmm.... this is gorgeous. It dries down to vanilla and currant on me and while it is generally edible smelling my body amps up the sweetness to a nice level and I just smell... good. I love the drydown on this.

Throw: Good. I left a light scent cloud around me today.

Overall: I tried this on my wrist last night for the hell of it and found that I really, really liked it. Enough that instead of choosing another from my scent wardrobe, I slapped it on today. I may have to rethink my anti-food scent stance as it appears that my skin has quite the sweet tooth.

In the imp: Cherry tart!

Wet on skin: Vanilla with a dark cherry kick. Very sweet but I love sweet! During the dry down I get a hint of buttery cake.

After a few hours: Sweet white cake with cherry vanilla frosting.

Overall: I love this scent! It reminds me of a birthday party. I love the sweet cherry cake, I wore this out and someone asked me what I was wearing. I will definitely be buying a bottle of this.