Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants.

This reminds me a bit of the Monster Baits in general. It's creamy and foody and very tasty in the imp. However, like just about every other vanilla oil from bpal I've tried it goes really weird and awful. boo!

Eat Me

In the imp: mmm!!! Delicious sweet vanilla cake with currants. This has me salivating like crazy.

Wet on skin: oh, this is gorgeous. Currant cake!

Dry on skin: I can't believe how wonderful and also how clever this scent is. Sure it's foody and it definitely has a cakey feel but surprisingly, it's not blatantly foody. It's different to the outright super-sweet foodiness of the Closet Monster-it has a gentler, drier cake mixture, a soft, fluffy vanilla…but it's the currants that are working magic on this blend. They add a juicy, ripe, tart scent that counteracts the sweeter notes nicely and the currant note smells so true, so full and fruity, nicely sharp, freshly picked, and almost perfume like in feel (in other words this isn't as dessert-craving as some foodies, this is more sophisticated). The currant note also reminds me of other tart berry notes I've encountered, such as Lady Macbeth and there's even something about this scent which reminds me of Mabon! It has a sort of wine/booze like feel to it.

After a while: whoa, this has throw! I'm getting wafts of vanilla-currant all around me-it's delicious! the vanilla has cranked up a notch, which is a good thing-the scent is now a wonderfully balanced mix of the tart, fresh currant and the sweet, rich vanilla cake. I love the vanilla cake in this-it smells very biteable but not cloying or overwhelming at all.

Over time the vanilla-cake and currants merge even more so and the scent becomes so nicely rounded. Now this smells very lickable indeed.

I must add that at the end of this scent's stay on my skin, I swear I'm getting something akin to Smut's drydown...a seductive vanilla with a twist of musk! Yes! This is aptly named, I must say!

Verdict: Eat Me is Monster Bait Closet's more sophisticated sister. This is a stunning and innovative interpretation of the foody theme-in that it smells delicious and there are many moments when I want to eat myself, but the scent goes beyond foody and smells almost like a wonderful non-foody perfume blended with sweet edible notes, and I think it's the currant doing this. I love the currant note in here, it's not too sharp but tart enough to balance out the sweetness of the vanilla and cake, and adds a bit of fruity juiciness, like a rich vanilla cake topped with just picked berries. This gets even more delicious as it develops on the skin and the vanilla merges with the currants so nicely and something in here even hints at sexy musk. I think I will need to get a bottle because this is truly fabulous. And it's GC!

Emoticon rating: :D :D :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Ack, I was hoping for vanilla and currants per yeahbutnobut's review, but I got the big 'ol scoop of cake batter (and what I've come to think of as the Generic BPAL Foody Smell, which goes buttery and unfortunate on me). I was hoping for big ripe juicy currants but I got a bit of a tart undertone and that was it.

This one is already heading off to a new home where I'm sure it will be much loved. I should just learn my lesson and stay away from the foody blends, but I will always be haunted by how well Underpants worked and how I only have a lone imp of it because I thought it would be awful. Tear!

In the bottle: Slightly boozy currants and vanilla, with a bit of a cake note.

Wet: Buttery, boozy and floury vanilla cake.

Drydown: Ooh currants! Black and red currants in a very light vanilla cake mix. It's soft and creamy and fruity, simple and delicious. The vanilla grows stronger as it develops and it's made a bit sharp by the fruit.

Overall: A lovely foody blend that'll delight all foody lovers. Though I'm not a foodie, I enjoy this blend for its lightness and its lovely currant scent. It's a bit like a buttery cake with "Montresor" thrown in, with a lovely vanilla note. And it has quite some staying power, which is unusual for foody blends on me. A great blend, wonderful that it's GC!

I knew I'd love it before I even tried it, and I do! There is a lovely, creamy, vanilla cake base, and it's completely smeared over with strong red and black currants. The currants are actually on top on my skin, which makes it more of a fruity scent than an all out cake 'o rama, which is what I expected. Nonetheless, the sugary base becomes more apparent the longer I wear it, and either way these notes are all winners as far as I'm concerned. It reminds me a bit of Monsterbait Closet, except without the boozy edge. Just beautiful, my only complaint is that it doesn't have a lot of throw, the way Drink Me does. I may need a 5 ml, I'll have to think on it for awhile. Tasty! :P

Damn, this one is breaking my heart.

I expected cakey goodness, like my beloved Monster Bait: Closet, but instead my skin makes it all about tart, almost sour, berries. It softens over time and becomes ever so slightly cakey, but by that point it's almost gone and my skin just gobbles up the vanilla sweetness.

Oh well. At least Drink Me works for me!

First I was hit full force by a buttery cake smell that felt a bit overwhelming. Then it sank back and was overtaken by currants! It's like a rich cake dripping with jelly. Still deciding on if I'd wear it or not. I like it, but I'm finding the baked foodie smells are fun, but I like something fresher for regular wear.

I bought an imp of this the same time I bought Monster Bait: Closet, since I noticed some note similarities.

If forced to pick, Eat Me is the better scent. They are similar in many ways, but Eat Me seems like the more sophisticated of the pair. (Closet Monster is a very heavy foody scent). It smells sweet and vanilla-y, but the currants give it a perfumey edge that is absolutely divine. It also has a airy, powdery twist - which I love.

I normally use a form to break down the scents, but I tried this on when I couldn't sit by the computer and write down the phases. My apologies.

Throw: Medium

Rating: 5 out of 5

Related Recommendations: Antique Lace, Regan, Baneberry, Le Serpent Qui Danse, Monster Bait: Closet, and possibly Dorian.

Edited by ladymissspyder

Foody (sweet/baked good) scents are the one thing that I avoid like the plague...somehow it's usually nauseating to me unless there's actual food backing it up. However, I love currant and have had good luck with some of the lab's vanilla blends so it seemed a better fit for me than the ambiguous Drink Me.

In the imp, I do get a hint of the dreaded buttery smell that makes me feel sick, but I don't actually feel sick this time. It's not a strong enough component or maybe I'm just used to it by now. I don't really smell currant but it's a pleasant, soft cakey smell rather than an overwhelming, stomach-churning one.

On my skin it becomes quite nice. I don't specifically smell currant but the fact that I like this is probably because it's in there somewhere, adding that tart berry touch. When it dries down it smells just like the drydown of Snake Oil, minus the spices. Must be the vanilla.

Still not my kind of scent but if I was in one of those rare moods for something like Snake Oil I could go for this. There might be some hope that some of the foody blends are becoming a bit more soft and mellow for folks like me, who have really bad reactions to the butter and strong, sweet scents. I think I'll keep this around!

I get the Monsterbait Closet vibe too.

However, on me the Currants smell pretty darned bad for the first few minutes. Thank goodness I persevered... cause after about ten minutes a lovely foody-fruity scent wafted of my arm and lasted a substantial amount of time.

The Currant has a pleasant tartness that keeps this from being cloying. Eat Me is a dessert-type gourmand that would be nice for summer.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

straight sniff from bottle....

this is candied snake oil!!!

applied ... a delightfully moist carrot cake with a thick orange cream cheese frosting...plus some snake oil....hehe...wowza!! good heavens this is pure indulgence beyond words...i am astounded once again in beth's transformation of fragrances...she has come so far and this is the best and my current favorite of all time.... i have a 5 ml now, have one 5 ml coming from a forumite and will have a 10 ml on order by days end as i am more than positive this will age to the most amazing and astounding perfume ever created....

Mmm delicious. This reminds me a lot of Monster Bait: Closet, but I don't get currants. I get sandalwood. I don't know how or why, but I swear I smell it. ::laughs::

This is beautiful. The woods I smell balance out the sweetness so well. I might need a bottle of this one.

Eat Me

Another one with a name that I couldn't resist!

In the bottle: Cake with an undercurrent of... well maybe currant?

On me: The cake scent becomes perfumy then quickly fades and leaves not much behind. I guess my skin did "eat" it. :P

edit: After wearing this the rest of the evening, a scent, reminiscent of other BPAL cake/foody scents, did emerge. I asked my Sweetie to tell me what he thought it smelled like and he was reminded of incense. Maybe that was the vanilla. All in all, not a favorite, but not sure about letting it go either.

Edited by cybra111

In the imp - Not as sweet as I had expected. More of a spicy cake - no currants. I picture a dark spiced cake.

Wet - Got sweeter when I tested it on the back of my hand (the strange spiciness is only in the imp!) Light berries and cake, but the cake is no longer spiced. More than one kind of cake though... maybe chocolate cake and a vanilla cake? Or more like a marbled cake of chocolate and vanilla, right out of the oven... mmmm.

Dry - Currants seem to get stronger as this dries. I don't smell cake so much as vanilla. The vanilla reminds me of Snake Oil, but without the incense or spice. After more time passed, this mostly smelled like berries and vanilla cream. A very pretty fruity scent, but where did the cake go?! After even longer, the vanilla fades, but those currants have staying power!

Not sure what to think of this - I like the currants a lot, but I think the cakes all got eaten! Need to try this a few more times before deciding if I need a bottle or not.

yep! cake cake cake cake cake with a slug of vanilla and some fruitiness- i get more of a dried current or current jam scent from this, as opposed to a tangy-er fresh currant scent. it's a really nice foody perfume and the vanilla doesn't go all dusty on me! :P

Absolutely stunning scent. It smells of cake and musk. I think it's very sexy. It lasts on my skin for ages as well. I just bought the 10 ML -I like it so much!!! Yum!

The first time I tried Eat Me, the currants were overwhelming, it was all fruit, no cake and a disturbing chemical element to boot. But I persisted and tried it again the next day, rolling the imp first. What a difference! The currants are more of an accent, they don't dominate at all. And I get the Snake Oil vibe, it's that same thick, rich vanilla (without the darker notes of heavy musk, patchouli and spices, of course). I love Eat Me and I also think it will age beautifully. :P

Eat Me is a lighter, tarter Monster Bait: Underbed, for sure. :D

For some reason this goes all coconutty on my skin on drydown, almost identical to Underbed (which I adore), but balanced out wonderfully with the currants. And the cake batter-like notes are there, too, creamy and yum.

I could almost happily swap all of my Underbed bottles just for Eat Me bottles. Almost. :P

I have this theory that I will like all of the Mad Tea Party scents. I don't know if this is because I'm just that nuts about Alice in Wonderland or what, but so far none of them have disappointed me.

This? Is so tasty. I think it's my favorite scent so far.

Most vanilla makes me feel sticky after I wear it, but this one is soft and a little buttery and blended just right. I made everyone smell me when I put it on.

5/5

Let me first start off by saying I *adore* Eat Me. It's the perfect gourmand blend for people who aren't always crazy for foody scents, because there's no butter or sickening sweetness here. Just cake, a thin coating of frosting with a scattering of currants. It's absolutely delicious! This definitely made it onto my 5ml list.

In the bottle this smells like vanilla cake, but on my skin it smells exactly like snake charmer.

I put one on each wrist, and they smell almost exactly the same to my nose but snake charmer is a bit sharper (even aged a year). I thought I loved Snake Charmer until I tried Eat Me. I'm surprised by the similarity but very, very pleased!

I had to try this, just for the name alone, and because I'm a huge fan, etc....

When I put it on, for a minute or two I was underwhelmed. I really wasn't sure *what* I was smelling; it didn't seem foody or cake-y to me at all.

After a few, I suddenly smelled something wonderful.... and realized it was me! It morphed, and blended, and became a gorgeous foody scent that doesn't seem foody. I can smell the cake, and the currants, and it's just wonderful.

Big bottle buy for me!

Yummm. In the bottle, Eat Me is all buttery yellow cake. (Now I'm craving cake.) It's good, but I'm wary as buttery blends tend to turn gross on my skin.

At first, it seems like Eat Me and my chemistry do indeed hate each other, as Eat Me becomes almost too buttery to bear. But that butter note calms down and it's a rich cake-y vanilla. This might be heresy, but it reminds me a lot of Underpants, only without the sandalwood and saffron.

I never even noticed the currants. They were totally AWOL. Hmmm.

Ooh, this is white cake batter, dead on! It's sweet, sugary and creamy, with the tiniest hint of vanilla. It reminds me a little bit of Monsterbait: Closet, but it's less complex and whiter. I think I would have liked this more if I could smell the currants, but all I smell is cake batter.

I have to admit that I usually don't like foody scents, but I felt compelled to order these since I am so Lewis Carrol obsessed (oh the wonders of marketing). Anyway, I must say, I am loving this scent!

In the bottle it was actually hard for me to smell anything (but perhaps that is because I have been testing scents all day!). Perhaps a hint of currant and vanilla.

On my skin wet, it was quite sickenly sweet. Like a huge vanilla sundae with berries on top. Thankfully, as it dried, it mellowed into a nice angel food cake with currant, like others have said. The vanilla is defientely well blended and mellow. I love this! The lasting power on this isn't the longest for me, but that's OK because I definetely don't mind reapplying :P

This seems, especially compared to Drink Me, like a light foody scent, perfect for people like me who are a bit skeptical of wearing foody scents.