Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants.

I'm new to the BPAL world and this is my first review but I'll do my best!

Imp: Smells like buttery-sugary goodness!

Wet: Woah! Sour cake? How is that even possible? Ugh, I don't know that I like this.

Dry (after 10 minutes): Cake smell returns. Can't get any hints of the currents. Its a little stronger than I thought it would be, but its nice.

And this point, I walk into my living room and my sister yells "WHY DO YOU SMELL LIKE CAKE?" So evidently, its noticeable. I ask her what kind of cake because I'm getting more of a "cake baked in a little cabin in the woods" rather than "victorian" cake. She says it makes her think cake batter rather than a cake itself. The sugary notes are really sticking out, and she can catch the current notes too.

Dry (after 3 hours): The cake is still here. I repeat, the cake is still here, and its starting to drive me a little crazy. I try to wash some of it off to dull it down a bit (and I promise I didn't put that much on!)

Dry (after 8 hours): Smell is no longer detectable unless I get my wrists near my face. Smells less like cake and more like a faint, floral soap. Not bad.

Consensus: I like Eat Me. Not sure if I want a full bottle though. Seems like a good scent for days with friends and family. Its not really sexy or suave. Just cozy and comforting.

I adore this scent! This is pure cakey,sugary vanilla goodness on me :wub2: I usually like sexy foody scents, this is not sexy but it comes close to my idea of the perfect foody blend. If I want it to be more sexy I layer it with o B)

This is straight up yummy cake! I was a bit worried at first, because I don't really like overly cakey blends. However, the currants enter the stage and sweetens up the blend, also making it a bit fresher. It's still a fairly cakey vanilla scent, but not AS cakey as I first feared.

It's really quite pleasant, I think. I probably won't be wearing it much, but I might as well keep my imp for those days when I want something foody and berry.

This is my first review, but this scent gave me such a visual that I felt I *needed* to write a review.

(I've been wearing this for a couple of hours now.)

My initial thought on sniffing this was the color plum. Then a dress took shape in my mind. A knee-length medium plumy colored party dress made of buttery velvet. With a butter-cream colored peter pan collar with tiny yellow flower embroidered on it. Perfect for a holiday party with lots of sugary deserts. Yes, that would be the perfect dress to wear with this scent. :lovestruck:

Receiving a frimp of Eat Me in my most recent order—thanks, Lab!—made me realize that I had never written a review of my original imp, which is almost exactly a year old.

In the imp: Cake, with currants just detectible in the background.

Wet: Vanilla cake.

I’m always a little wary of cake and other baked-goods notes, which can go fake or stale-smelling on my skin, but I had to try this for the vanilla. As Eat Me dries, the currants become more prominent, and balance the cake note, which saves this for me. As in Knave of Hearts, the fruity but not-too-sweet currants give this some depth and prevent it from becoming too sweet.

This smells better when I catch whiffs of it as it wafts around me rather than when I put my nose right to my arm. Also, on the back of my hand, though not on my arm, this dries down to sweet pure vanilla, rather than vanilla cake, mingled with currants. I love that and wish Eat Me smelled like that everywhere.

Eat Me becomes delicious in the final drydown: deep, rich currants sweetened with vanilla.

Scent Description: "Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants"

Wet: in the bottle and wet on the skin, this smells precisely like cheesecake crust on me. It's cake alright, but it's burnt brown sugar cake which I'm definitely not complaining about.

Drying: the cake is still prominent, the vanilla comes out too. There are no berries whatsoever which, bummer. There is hint of lemon somewhere though. It's nice, although much much lighter than I expected. I hope it won't be gone soon, but that's the direction it's taking.

Dry: woah lemon! where did you come from? This is mostly lemon, backed up by vanilla baked goods on me... oh but I love it! I do miss the currants, as I had imagined this scent as very "blue" and I get none of that... same experience as with Bones Trombone, I guess my skin just eats berries :D

In the imp: Exactly as the lab describes! White cakes with vanilla & berries! So yummy!

Wet on skin: Something a little spicy or slightly sour is coming out. Like the cakes aren't fresh, they've gone a bit stale & cream has been left out with them & has started to turn.

Dry on skin: They've freshened up again, but now the smell is VERY mild. As though earlier in the day you baked white cakes with vanilla icing, cream & berries, but the cakes have since been taken away & you're left in the kitchen with the crumbs & the vanilla you spilled while baking. It's still a nice smell, but there's not much of it!

After a few hours: Same as freshly dried. It's really nice, but there's really not much here.

Verdict: Very yummy scent, but also very mild. I like it & I know I'll wear it, but I wish it were a bit stronger. Maybe I just need to really slather it on?

My new fav! and my husband said it "doesn't smell to bad" which is amazing praise.

In the Imp: like sweet cake with a touch of berries, yummy!

On skin: It smells like sexy cake! After it dries the vanilla comes out more and the currant keeps it from being too edible. This one lasts ages on me and makes me smell like cake you want to do dirty things to.

I got this as a frimp, because it's not something I would order, I am not a fan of smelling like food. And I'm so glad I did, because it turns out I love this scent! It does smell like fragrant vanilla cakes - sometimes with raspberries? (jam every other day) - but *not* (and I don't know how this works) in a way that makes me feel like I'm about to end up like the girl in that Tom Petty video. Which, come to think of it, was also Alice themed. Hmmmm...

It dries down into something a little sharper - like amber/vanilla/tonka bean with bite. Even if you are not a big fan of foodie scents, I highly recommend giving this one a try!

I really didn't think I was going to like this, so of course I love it! Berries/currant make a delicious fresh kind of scent with my skin chemistry, so it really isn't as foody as I thought it would be. I get a strong brown sugar/buttery almost caramel scent with a fresh, tart background that comes out more after an hour or so. Definitely need a bottle of this.

Got a frimp of this with a forum purchase! Been wanting to try this for ages, even though cake and vanilla are both iffy notes. It's actually not too bad on me, I think the currants are holding back the plastic that sometimes likes to accompany cake and vanilla blends. Overall it's sweet, but not cloyingly so, and youthful without being juvenile. I'm seeing pastel colors and lots of white. It's rather comforting, like a lovely childhood memory. The longer it's on the more pronounced the currants become, and they smell very nice on me, both sweet and fresh. Very pleased with this blend!

In the imp: Right off the bat, from both me and the bf: "OMG CUPCAKES!!!" I got this as part of the Vanilla Imp Pack, and there is indeed vanilla in there, but it's a very foody vanilla (to the surprise of none). I'm also a little worried about the currants. They're only a subtle undercurrent (pun not intended) here, but my skin tends to amp fruit of all stripes to hell and back.

Wet: Like GuardianoftheMoon, my initial reaction was along the lines of "sour cake wtf???" At first I thought it was interference from yesterday's Juke Joint still hanging around, but apparently it's not just me. But either I get used to this really fast, or it's just an initial burst that fades thankfully quickly, because it quickly settles down into something much more wearable. The currants are definitely dominant, but not the bust-down-the-door "HI I'M FRUIT!!!" reaction that my skin usually has; more of a slightly-too-loud-indoor-voice kind of thing, with the foody vanilla playing backup. And even this doesn't last too long - within 10 minutes or so, the currant has decided to play nice and settle down, allowing the foody vanilla to take center stage. I actually think I like this phase better - the currants are less sharp (which I think was the initial sour cake note), and it feels more like delicious, delicious cake.

Dry: The currants are back, and with a vengeance. There's a slight cake-batter edge rounding them out, but at this point I would describe it as primarily a currant scent.

This is a bit too foody-sweet for everyday wear, but I could see myself buying a bottle A) to round out my collection, and B) for those ultra-horrible days when the only thing that will make me feel better is smelling like fruity cake.

My nose and scent preference disclaimer: I have three distinct camps of scents that I love: baked goods, earthy spices, and woods/forests. My favorite scents are currently Captain Lilith and her First Mate and Gingerbread Snakes for the foody category, Morocco and Scherezade for the spices, and Druid and Isle of Demons for my woodsies. Notes I dislike are vetiver, civet, leather, all of the peppers, most florals, sometimes tobacco, "wood" scents like rosewood and sandalwood because I amp them so so much and kitchen spices like sage (and by extension, frankincense because woah I get sage from that).

In the bottle: Sugar and cake. Just as it says on the tin.

Wet on the inside of my wrist: This is such a gentle sugary scent when wet. You get a white cake aura, nothing buttery or too heavy at all.

Dried down, after 25 minutes: the throw on this is so beautiful without being overwhelming Typing this up, with my sweater down over my test area, I'm still getting a whiff of beautiful scent. The currants hold the sugar down and make it less cloying and still perfumey. The sugar doesn't go away but it doesn't hurt your teeth or give you a headache either. I LOVE the staying power of this one!

Verdict: Eat Me had me at the bottle, which is rare. It has moved up into one of my number one scents. In fact, from just a sniff at NYCC this year, I bought it on the spot, untested. There's nothing that weighs this scent down and best of all, it layers with just about everything in my scent palette! I love layering Eat Me with Inferno and I use it with Gingerbread Snakes on a near constant basis.

In the imp - Buttery foody spice.

Wet - OH, BUTTER. This is cake, but one that isn’t done baking quite yet. The center is still doughy.

Drydown - And those must be the currants. Wow, this is not what I was expecting at all. I think I like it, but the currant is SO strong. Probably because my skin ate up all the cake smell. There’s just a vague vanilla butteriness now. It’s nice, but not something I’d wear.

Verdict - After being told this was the holy grail of foodiness, I’m a bit disappointed. I know I’m the one to blame here; I’ll have to try it in an oil burner or something.

Hmmm... got this as a frimp in my last order and I'm wondering if it's mislabeled. A little sweet in the imp, not very cakey, perhaps some currant. Post-drydown it really leans towards berries and patchouli. Not what I was expecting.

When I first put this on, I didn't think of Alice at all but rather Marie Antoinette shouting, "Let them eat cake!" However, the cake goes away and I then get currents and vanilla, lovely, long lasting, close to the skin.

Sooo my imp is from 2010?* Boy has this puppy aged well and it's pretty potent! I know I wasn't in love with it when I first got it but it had potential. Now that it's aged, it's quite yummy! I'm getting snake oil overlayed with vanilla cake and red vines... Very pretty and sexy sweet! Glad I kept this around!

*I have a note on the label purchased 5/2010 and to age. Apparently it's taken me this long to get back to this imp!

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: So, when this was introduced as part of the Mad Tea Party, I dismissed it because I didn't want to smell like food. This was some time ago in my BPAL development. I did try Drink Me when I got a frimp of it at some point and decided I liked it, but I think the currants, which had been problematic in a couple other blends, kept me from trying Eat Me.

And then there was the BPTP hair gloss battle in which Eat Me was a lonely foody scent hemmed in by a bunch of stuff with deal-breaking notes like patchouli and amber and vetiver and dark musk. And I voted Eat Me as a sort of protest because what I really, really want are some BPTP Lunacy polls that are 100% floral and guarantee something I'd love.

Eat Me won. And having voted for it, I felt I ought to purchase it. And I discovered I loved having my hair smell like vanilla cake with a dash of currants. So I promised myself that I'd throw an imp of Eat Me into a future BPAL order.

In the Imp: The same luscious vanilla cake with a thread of currants running through it.

Wet: Fruity-sweet vanilla. The cake is in hiding right now.

Drydown: The cake emerges again, blending beautifully with the rest. As a whole it makes its presence known, but doesn't overpower.

Verdict: Thank you, hair gloss, for showing me the way to a great GC scent!

WHY I DID I WAIT SO LONG TO TRY THIS OMG!!! Pretty much my initial reaction. This such a delicious scent! It is foody and sweet and has a nice hit of spice to mix it up a little. Who knew cake could smell so sexy? Seriously this is very alluring. I can't wait to order a bottle.

I got this imp 3 years ago so the scent in the imp is much richer than what I remember. Vanilla but almost tarty cake, no currant. Wet is crazy sweet and foody, a little too much for my taste. Once it dries it mellows out to be softly sweet and more wearable.

Wow.

I didn't used to care for foodie scents because it's often far too overbearing in commercial perfumes. But this frimp changed everything.

To take a page out of Neil Gaiman in American Gods, I smells like a slutty bride on top of a wedding cake, which in this case is not a bad thing. It's rich vanilla cake with berries sprinkled on top, dusted with extra sugar.

Give me ALL THE BOTTLES.

​Bottle: White Vanilla Cake

Skin: Clean Currants - Very Sweet

Dry: Warm Vanilla

I think I found the one foodie scent that agrees with my skin. Every time I sniff my arm I get waves of vanilla and currant. Picture walking into a bakery. This is making me hungry.

Currants with vanilla in the bottle. Goes on as a "deep" cake note, not a high sweet bright one like Arcana's. The vanilla comes in but it quickly morphs into tonka, which takes on that "too much butter on the popcorn" smell. That doesn't last long, but neither does anything else. Finishes as a faint vanilla.

In the imp: cake! Sugary vanilla sponge cake.

Wet: still vanilla sponge cake, and something berry with a hint of bitterness and depth - more raspberries than currants to my nose.

Dry: okay I smell like raspberry jam roly-poly now.

Throw: medium, I can smell it on myself but it's not obnoxious.

This is a funny little number, but I don't really want to smell like cake. Stuff my face with it? Hell yeah. Smell like it? No thanks.

Too sweet and sugary for me, I'll pass this one on.