Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants.

In the bottle: Yummy currants, and sweet cake.

Wet: The currants and the cake are combining into a delicious tasty (but don't drink it!) treat. There's some sweet frosting too, that reminds me of the drizzled sugar frosting that my grandmother put between each layer of her torte/layer cakes.

The dry-down: Bit more cake more and less currants, but still one of my fave scents ever from the Lab. :wub2:

Eat Me hits me over the head with fruitiness when wet. After a few minutes, I can smell the sweet vanilla, but the current is still so strong that I'm not sure how often I could wear this, (fruity scents tend to give me headaches.) I really wish I could smell the cake, but it's just not there for me. I could see how this would work for someone wanting a food scent that isn't too foodie, but for me I like warm, buttery, sugary foodie scents all the way.

Edited A Year Later: It's funny how skin chemistry and perception change. Now I absolutely smell cake, and it is definitely white cake, not any other flavor. A lot of cake smells go wonky on my skin, but this stays pretty true. I have a couple of very well aged imps of this, and I have to say that I prefer it fairly fresh from the lab. This is one of the few foodie scents that works well enough for me that I have not traded it away.

Edited by whataboutprom

I love love love this scent. While I can't detect too many notes when it's still in the imp, as soon as I put some on my wrists it smelled just like vanilla raisin cake. It's got a really good throw on me too, I can't stop smelling it everywhere!

The scent didn't change too much as it dried down - the vanilla came out a bit more, making the whole thing sweeter. It's also less cloying than some of the other food scents I've tried - overall this was an instant hit with me, wearing it is a great pick-me-up for my mood because it's so delicious. Definitely getting a bottle of this one.

I ordered an imp of this in my first order, which I received recently.

I really wanted to like this scent. In the imp, it is the most luscious, creamy vanilla with the currants in the background. It smells practically edible! Wet, it is very similar. The vanilla is very creamy and sugary; the comparisons to icing and angelfood cake are apt. The currants only appear after about 20-30 minutes of drying. These currant notes are more powdery than juicy, but still smell very foody. Eventually they fade into the background and leave the same sweet vanilla, which hangs on for several hours

Unfortunately for me, I found that the very, VERY sweet vanilla cake scent was perhaps too sweet (to the point of being almost nauseating) for my taste. I so wanted to like this one. Perhaps I'll try it again in a while and see if I have better luck. :huh?:

This is so cake-y and delightfully delicious that I wish it really were edible. It makes me think of white cake with rainbow chips, with buttercream icing. The very first day I tried it, it smelled a bit more like the currants, but they seem to have disappeared (must be the time in my cycle or something).

I can't believe I waited so long before ordering this! I should have ordered it on my very first order and I would have been wearing it for months already! The lab included a frimp of this in the order as well, so I've got a bit of time before I have to order a bottle, but I absolutely will be ordering one as soon as I've used up one of the imps. This skyrocketed to the top of my favourites list. Hubby loves it too, and not just because of the name ;)

In imp: I'm getting the vanilla and a honey-like sweetness, and for some reason I also get minty baked lemon goodness. Maybe it's one of the white cakes! Nomnomnom. Some whiffs also remind me of chocolate pastries. I have no idea where that came from.

Wet on skin: cake! A slightly minty white cake, with a somewhat berry note hanging around--the currants, I guess. It doesn't stay put in one "type" of cake for me though, it keeps moving between chocolate, vanilla, plain and lemon cakes. There's also a slightly "off" smell here...not exactly oily, but something approaching that. I wonder what's making that happen?

Dry: it's gone somewhat powdery, but still quite true to the smell as when it's wet, as the powder actually adds a kind of powdered sugar sort of feel to it, which is interesting. Certainly very foody, and quite nice to eat, I'm sure ;)

Verdict: it's an interesting blend, and I was actually kind of surprised that I'm a little ambivalent about it. It's nice but it feels a bit too straightforward for me, and a bit on the too-foody-sweet side. Oh well!

Eat Me ties with Boomslang as my 2nd favorite oil so far. (Snake Oil is still tops!) At first Eat Me is mostly the vanilla from Snake Oil (the rich, thick, gooey, decadent vanilla from Snake Oil...*eyes go glassy*...where was I?) with a fruity cakeyness thrown in. On drydown the vanilla loses some of its gooeyness and it becomes more of a white cake scent with what I assume are the currants, although to me they're just a vaguely tart fruitiness in the background. Heavenly! :wub2:

Had to see what the fuss over Eat Me is all about. I'm not overly fond of foody scents so this wasn't on the top of my list to try, but I recently received an imp.

At first: cupcake. Major cupcake with sweet vanilla frosting. Then the musk started, which I found a little odd coupled with the vanilla cupcake. After two hours, however, it settled down to a creamy vanilla, slighly perfumy, absolutely gorgeous scent. I'm not much for sweet scents, but Eat Me is gorgeous.

:wub2: I may need a bottle of this...

This is all fluffy and lightly buttery vanilla cake studded with juicy currants. There is a perfect balance of just enough currant to accent the cake but not overtake it. The extra vanilla in addition to the cake notes gives it the feel of equally fluffy frosting. Yum. :yum:

Eat Me in the imp has a fruity vanilla buttery cake smell. Matches the description perfectly! Once on my skin, the buttery cake note backs down considerably. It's still there, but it's not "BUUUUUUUUUUTTER LOL~" like it was on the intial application. The currant note fades back too. It turns into a slightly fruity, slightly cakey, vanilla musk. The vanilla note is pretty sweet. Gives me visions of a sweet little angel food cake smothered in vanilla frosting topped with a handful of berries! I'm pretty sure the vanilla note in this one is the same as the one used in Zephyr, although I'm enjoying Eat Me more than Zephyr.

Final Thought: Like it! I really like the slight muskiness that it has to it that I wasn't expecting. I don't know if that's just a skin chemistry thing but I've seen people say as Eat Me ages, a red musk note seems to pop out. Funny because I thought red musk didn't work on me, but perhaps I must stand corrected! :lol:

Intensely sweet, almost overpoweringly so when wet. At first, the red currants give it a strong, rather artificial berry smell, like Bonne Bell Lip Smackers, mixed with the smell of vanilla cake frosting. I wasn't sure at first if I could wear this at all because it was so cloying, but once it dries, the strongest, most sugary cake note fades and the more subtly sweet vanilla and blackcurrant become more prominent. It's still very sweet, girlish, feminine, but smells more natural than the initial scented-plastic phases.

Edited a couple of weeks later to add: this becomes a really rich, wonderful, addictive vanilla on drydown. I didn't really like this at first because it came across as too sweet, but I found myself going back to the imp again and again for that intense vanilla creaminess. Now I'm thinking of even getting a bottle at some point...

Edited by orata

The first time I tested Eat Me was from a lab-fresh imp. It started off buttery, then turned to delicious currant & cake, and then turned to powdery powdered sugar. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't very interesting. So I said meh and forgot about it.

A couple weeks later, I read some suggestions that there was red musk in Eat Me. And red musk, which :yum: , always does better on me with (at least) a couple weeks of age. So I thought hm, and tested Eat Me again. With much better and more delicious results.

On skin: It still starts off extremely buttery cake, and while wet it remains rather buttery, more like scones than cake, with a schmear of red currant jam.

Dry: As it dries, the buttery note burns away to naught, leaving vanilla cake with a hint of red currant combined with the addictive sweetness of a tiny bit of red musk. Not many fruit notes work for my skin/nose, so I cherish them when they do, and the currant here definitely works for me, not cloyingly fruity just red faintly tart-sweet. The overall scent still has a barely powdery texture, but it doesn't overwhelm the cake. So, vanilla cake with a hint of red currant & musk. While it is a delicious blend, I would not ultimately call it foody, especially the scent that throws. The red musk holds it back from foody. It still says "eat me," but more in a figurative sense, you know, like "eat me." :twisted:

Verdict: Yes. Bottle ordered.

Eat Me is everything I hoped Snake Oil would be. :D

In the imp: Foody, cakey, sweet. Yum.

Wet: Still cakey, but it's not too much. The vanilla and berries mix perfectly!

Dry: Snake Oil. That's all I can smell! But it's sugary and slightly fruity Snake Oil, and I love it!

Mmmmm Eat Me is a regular scent for me, has been for years now- but for some reason I never reviewed it LOL! So here goes: This scent is a terribly delicious-smelling vanilla cake with just a shy hint of berry. So nom that it's a good thing the Lab put that disclaimer in! Oh num num num....

I must be the only foodie in the world who can't stand Eat Me. I included an imp of this in my first ever order, figuring that because currants are good and cake is great, Eat Me must be the Holy Grail of food scents. Not so...

Way back when I first tried it, I could smell the tart currants and the vanilla, but there was something not quite right lying beneath the cakey-ness. It instantly made me nauseous. Now that I'm a more experienced BPALer, I can put my finger on what it is: SNAKE OIL! Heavy spice/incense notes are not something I want in a cake blend. Alas.

Throw: Strong [5/5]

Longevity: Great [4.5/5]

Rating: Stomach-churning [1.5/5]

My first review:

Eat Me

In the bottle: Strong Cake and Currant/Fruit Scent

Wet: More sugar and cake notes come out the currant kind of fades away on me. I smell a little buttery goodness too.

The dry-down: Light Vanilla/Cake scent remains. Not long staying power though. Wish it was longer.

Final: 4/5

EDIT: Ended up selling because of the staying power :(

Edited by Ichigo

Thoughts before testing: I am a little embarrassed to admit, but I wanted to try this because I no longer eat cake :blush: I follow a primal/low carb lifestyle, and cake is most definitely not low carb. So I was excited to at least smell like cake! I adore the currant note in Fairy WIne, so I'm hopeful :)

Wet: Powder? I'm not getting any cake or currant. Weird.

Dry down: Still powder. Not sure what's going on here!

Dry: Baby powder.

Thoughts after testing: This is maybe the most bizarre thing I've ever had a perfume do on my skin. Normally amber turns to pure powder on my skin as does ambergris, but neither of these are listed in Eat Me's notes. Maybe I have a bad imp?

Verdict: I'll test once more, but I don't foresee myself keeping this one.

Oh my freaking word. I keep saying I'm not a foodie scent person, but this is delicious!

The opening act is all white cake yumminess with no too-sweet frosting to be had; it dries down to something just a little tart with the cakey goodness underneath. At no point does it go nauseating or plastic on me, which is what MB: Closet did.

Divine. Once again, Beth challenges all my preconceived perfume notions in the best possible way. I predict that my husband will go gaga over this one...I'll let you know tomorrow. B)

Just got a bunch of imps to sample- first time ever using any BPAL stuff. Of all of them this is the only one that I'm inspired to go write about. I smell so awesome it's not even funny.

In the Imp- Brown (slightly burnt) butter and vanilla. A little rummy at the end I think, but that's probably just because I'm not used to perfume. Very sweet- it sort of smacked me around a little- and while delicious, slightly concerning that it would be a very little-girly free- with- your-barbie type of smell on me.

Wet- Sweeet. Not absurd, but quite sugary. Very strong smell of butter and vanilla still but instead of smelling like extract it turns into delicious cake. Actually- St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake, almost exactly. No real current smell. Just cake-y goodness.

Dry- Sugar cookies! I smell exactly like sugar cookies. It gets much more powdery and adult smelling. Still no current but I'm happy with the baking smells- I don't doubt that this would be amazing if you layered a fruity scent on it-I'm tempted to mix a little March Hare on top of this and see if I smell like peach pie.

I'm off to buy a bottle of this. I smell like everything good in the world. At once. Definitely the best of my sample group.

(P.S. Yep. I smell like peach pie. Might have to find a bottle of that too.)

I've been waiting for this bottle so expectantly. If this is the more grown up version of Bath and Bodyworks' Dark Kiss fragrance, I need loads of it. "Three white cakes, vanilla, and red and black currants" sounded enticing and I got Hellcat and Knave of Hearts and Queen of Sheba and Shub and Jack... and I'm not a foodie scent person! [Gluttony turned to baby pee on me and killed my nose to them.]

Bottle: Mmmmmmmmm! Cakes and buttery vanilla frosting similar to Underpants, without the saffron.

Wet: Beautiful blooming cake and vanilla frosting with a dark and bittery undercurrent of the black currants. Swoon-worthy deliciousness continues to bloom.

Dry: Oooh! My, my, my, my, my! Everything from before just a bit less wet without losing the moistness of the cake. Vanilla cake with buttery vanilla frosting, layers of jam. Creamy, tiny bit of floral, lots of white kinds of vanillas.

Overall: IN LOOOVE!!! I wore it in my hair immediately. I kept smelling the spot on my arm where I'd applied it. It's not an exact match to Dark Kiss, but it is so great to layer with my Shea Cashmere hand cream. It's so creamy with vanilla and an unidentifiable smoky-sweet note of deliciousness.

I got this bottle as a frimp in my last order and just kinda pushed it off to the side for a few months. I did open it once or twice and was put off by the pure, syrupy, toothache inducing sweetness of it all. Just the other day I bored and took a dive and was very pleasantly surprised.

Wet this is warm vanilla cake with cream cheese frosting. There is also a distinct buttery-ness as well. I don't detect any berry notes but I don't have a very experienced nose. As is dries it begins to mellow out some, it develops a bit of spiciness but stays distinctly buttery on my skin. I never thought I'd describe myself as foody scent-wise but I really like it. The DH seemed to like it too (mmmmm...was his reaction) and my mom pretty much had the same "yummy" coment. I may have to try this out and about to get more of a feel for the scent. Pleasantly surprised.

In the imp, I swear there is some kind of Eastern spice in this. Maybe that's just the way my nose is interpreting the currant.

Wet on my skin, the cake and currant are almost equally as noticeable as the vanilla.

As it dries it's a bit similar to Snake Oil, like a sweeter and slightly lighter version with less throw. Vanilla often goes a bit dark and spicy with my chemistry (which suits me fine) and Eat Me is no different.

The cake and currant set Eat Me apart from Snake Oil enough that I can see myself buying bottles of both.

Edited 7/19/2018:

I got a decant of some old Eat Me (year unknown, but probably a few years older than what I reviewed above) as an extra goodie in a forum purchase from wanderingredhead. I wore it yesterday and I'm wearing it again now. It's one of the first scents I wore in heavy rotation during my first year or so of BPAL obsession. I haven't worn it in a while, but I do own a bottle from about 2012. This reminder of it is making me think about getting a second bottle.

I'm picturing a two-layer white cake with a thin layer of currant jam in between and a light layer of vanilla frosting on top. I think age has rounded it out, making it slightly less fruity, with the cake and vanilla coming forward. I don't know why I compared it to Snake Oil in my original review or thought there was any spice, except that I had only been into BPAL for a few days shy of two months at the time. It's not like SO, but it might be the same vanilla note.

Edited by boomtownrat

Wet: Cake and something vaguely artificial.

Drydown & Dry: Splenda cake.

I'm not sure if it's my nose or skin, but this one doesn't work for me. It might be worth noting that I'm very sensitive to fake sugar and overly sweet foods too so this may stem from the same issue.

Disclaimer: I'm getting over a cold, and my nose might be off.

In all honesty, this wasn't what I expected. It's pleasant, but I didn't get nearly as much of a cake feel as I'd anticipated. In part, this is because it's not buttery, and I'm getting a lot of the currant - it's at least as much a fruity scent as a bakery one. As sweet berry combinations go, this is lighter and more versatile than Lampades or Bewitched, where the musk + berries can get a bit too heavy for close quarters or warm weather.

The combination of bakery sweetness and tart fruit reminds me a tiny bit of the toasty amber and passion flower in Hermia, oddly enough.

In the bottle: Yumm. Cake and Vanilla and creamy goodness.

Wet: Super delicious smelling vanilla cake

Dry: Creamy Vanilla with a touch of butter and a bit of depth.

After a while it winds down to mostly a rich deep vanilla. :D Yummy I never really got any currants from it, but that's fine with me. Maybe that's the bit that's giving that extra oomph that makes it better than -just- vanilla cake. Because it definitely smells like more than your avg. vanilla scent. It's complex and simple at the same time.

LOVE this. I think I'll have to switch out my normal "Hair scent" with this. *squeal*