Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cupide430

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

All I get from this is strong powdery sweet pea. The powdery part would be the two ambers, which apparently have decided not to play nice with my skin (as usual). I'm not picking up any vanilla at all. It's quite perfumey.

Not offensive, but not something that makes me go "OMG, I want to smell like this!!"

In the Imp: It smells like an orange creamsicle. And vague hints of wood.

Initial Wet: Sweet peas! I can even smell the green of the leaves. No vanilla at all and maybe just a hint of something not-floral, but I can't tell if it's the amber or sandalwood.

Initial Dry: The amber definitely begins to come out and then it gives way and blends with the sandalwood. The vanilla begins to overtake the sweet pea and it becomes a spicy, sweet, woodsy scent. The vanilla isn't a cakey foody vanilla, but really more like the raw vanilla bean.

Drier Dry: It mellows to a very nice vanilla spice on me. The sweet pea has mercifully all vanished and the ambers have a warm spice quality that compliments the vanilla note.

I'm waffling as to whether or not I like this one. I like the spicy vanilla, but I'm not especially fond of the floral. I'll have to test it on the hubby to see whether or not he says, "Ugh, you smell like weird cake." :P

ETA: My skin really eats this one up and I find myself reapplying it so I can smell it. So, taking that into account, I think this one is worth a bottle. And hubby did say upon sniffing, "Huh, smells like weird cake."

Edited by Shollin

Ooh, I heard really lovely reviews of this one, so though it doesn't contain my usual favorite notes, I was excited to try it.

I came into work this morning wearing it, and my co-worker said, "who brought the donuts?"

She was serious! So on my, MLaST smells like donuts! Hilarious!

Anyway, to sweet for me, but hey, I may have made some hungry friends. :P

OMGBBQ!!!!

I am so glad I read the reviews for this one or I may have missed it. I am coming in late to this party, but I made it.

This is so sweet, but so complex and sophisticated - not sweet enough on me as in foody, just a touch - but I want to slather myself in it. Way to go Beth, this is one I plan to wear ALL the time!!!!

this is a very pretty scent. a little bit powdery a little bit musky and a little bit floral. very innocent, soft and sweet. the white sandalwood ads a touch of SLIGHT spice. i think it's where the powderiness comes from. this reminds me of the color white.

Sweet, warm, creamy vanilla. Delicious, easy to like. I can't pick out the sandalwood, but I can detect the ambers warming this up.

This might make a good intro to BPAL for somebody who already liked vanilla scents.

This is like a bit of Coyote mixed with Antique Lace without the flowers. I think the ambers give this blend the warm fuzzines of Coyote (but is there amber in Coyote?). I can smell the sweetness of sweetpea and vanilla. Maybe there is a bit of musk in here. It reminds me very much of Coyote, but lighter and sweeter and softer. And while Coyote is a warm golden tan fuzziness, this is a light fluffy gray.

Very nice.

Vanilla and sandalwood, two of my favorites. In fact, this smells almost exactly like the bottle of Vanilla Sandalwood spray I bought from A Zaftig Woman last month, just more complex. This will be great in cold weather.

This smells almost like how an innocent child would smell like. Its all powdery and soft, its such a cute blend. Creamy, powdery & innocent! :P

What the hell, I don't understand this.

I got an imp of Mouse's Long and Sad Tale and it was GORGEOUS. Purchased a bottle off the forum, wore it today, and I smell like Sweetpea. I'm so disappointed since Sweetpea is my archnemisis (Aeval anyone?)

Maybe the aging effect the scent- problem is, I don't know if the one I got is old or new :\ I guess I'll buy one from the lab to see.

I just had to order an imp of this one, and boy, am I glad I did. Amber and vanilla are probably my two favorite notes, and The Mouse's Long and Sad Tale doesn't disappoint. I'm seriously thinking this will be my next bottle (and I have too many already!).

In the bottle: I have a hard time smelling this. I don't know what's up with me lately; seems like I have a hard time smelling anything just out of the bottle these days.

On me: The vanilla is creamy, and the amber is powdery (but in a good way, on me), and the sweet pea. . .well, I don't really know what it smells like, but it adds a definite complexity to the mix. It's sweet without being foody; feminine, delicate, angelic. My words can't do it justice: definitely a new fave!

Ancientgirl

In the imp: Sweet, vanilla-y, a touch of amber. The love child of Dorian and Alice.

On the skin: While wet, there's a note that I can only guess is the sweet pea, because it ain't vanilla or amber -- this is very cloying and sweet and delicate in a lot of ways.

As it dried, the hints of vanilla and sandalwood became apparent just below the sweet pea and amber. It's a very pretty scent, very fresh and feminine. 'Sweet' is really the only adjective I can give it since it's not quite floral, not quite foody on me.

The throw is pretty light, alas. It's nice. Not 'OMG WOW' kind of nice, but I'll definitely feel a little prettier today wearing this.

Hmmm...I love BPAL's amber blends, and generally like vanilla and sandalwood, so I'm guessing it's the sweetpea which is turning this into sweet powder and soap on my skin. I thought I'd love it, but if I want to smell like powdery vanilla, I can just wear Antique Lace.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tail-

In Bottle: Mmm, sweet and warm. I love the vanilla-richness.

Wet: Oh, I do like amber, I'm discovering.

Dry: Mmm, I keep sniffing to get the vanilla-ish amber of this. It's rich and delicious without being too sweet and it's delightful on me.

Overall: I really like a lot.

lovely, soft powdery vanilla. Akin to Antique Lace, but doesn't go plasticky and horrid on me as AL does. This stays nice and true, and lasts for hours. Plus it has some good wafting power. :P

I loved this at first... all pretty vanilla, like another, younger version of Antique Lace.

I was smiling, I was happy, life was good, I was sniffing my wrist.

It started amping and amping, up and up and up and up. It went overwhelming... I finally had to wash it off... twice... then to take a shower.

And it let me a very strong headache as well.

Sad because it's really nice, but too powerful on my skin.

I'm a big vanilla fan, so this was on my list of scents to try!

Mouse smells like vanilla and sweet pea on my skin, almost cotton candy like - it's so sweet. it mellows out very quickly and the scent is so faint that I have to put my nose very close to my wrist to smell anything.

it's a sweet, young, girly scent.

So light, sweet, powdery, and delicate. A bit like Antique Lace with her etherial vanilla; quite like Enraged Bunny Musk in it's pinkness, but MUCH less floral. It is like O without the green, and it flirts with having the depth of Morocco. It is a wonderful comfort scent and would be perfect in the Spring.

straight sniff from imp this is sugary and i can sense a touch of vanilla and

amber...delightful!!

once applied the sweet pea and sandalwood come through...wow...

this is an amazing blend for my chemistry...absolutely perfect balance of

all the notes...while i normally like "darker" scents this is something for

when i am having one of my girligirl days :D ...elegant and so pretty :P

Vanilla plastic, through and through. (Sort of reminiscent of plastic scented pencil erasers.)

From the imp through drydown, it has a powdery, plastic edge that clearly doesn't agree with my chemistry.

This is a no-go, sadly.

In the bottle: Ick! Sickly sweet sweet pea.

Wet: Sweet pea over a practically aquatic sandalwood. As it warms up, I get amber and vanilla.

Drydown: It becomes a rather discreet scent, which is a good thing, considering the horrible sweet pea of the beginning. I still get sweet pea in a quieter incarnation, covered with creamy vanilla. It's still a very sweet blend, with sweet pea dominating under light vanilla.

Overall: It's very girly and quite light, and cleraly a floral blend. It smells very much like a perfume my mother used to have, which I found nauseatingly sweet. This too is extremely sweet, sort of naïve and cute, but not at all something that I'd ever wear.

I am not a fan of Bath and Body, but they did produce an amber scent long ago that I loved - and this is a dead ringer for that scent. I love amber, love sandalwood, can handle vanilla in conjunction with other scents, and this is one of those blends that feels as if it were custom-designed for me. This is to die for. I can see where it would be too powdery or sweet for some chemistries but on me it's a delicious warm golden amber lightly laced with vanilla. This to me is like O's innocent virginal little sister.

There's some serious amber and vanilla lovin' happening on my wrist. Seriously, those two are going at it like frenzied teenagers. The end result for me is a very lovely, very sweet smell with a lot of throw. I do like this a lot.

It reminds me a little bit of a more reserved, shy O or like Dragon's Milk's kid sister who wants to grow up to be big and buff (and sweet) just like her big sibling.

I'm not really picking up any sweetpea (although I don't really know what sweetpea smells like). If I shove my wrist up to my nose, inhale deeply and thing "heeeere floral, floral" I think I can kind of pick up something, but only barely.

This is really a lovely scent, warm and comforting. It's a perfect snuggle for those dreary rainy days.

Right out of the imp I smell a very sweet sweet pea :D Mmm. I can already tell I'm going to love this.

Wet on my skin the amber comes out really strong! Ohhhh amber, how I love you :) It's a gorgeous, light amber, very similar to the amber in The Lion.

As this dries the vanilla warms up the amber and the sandalwood. The sweet pea isn't present anymore. It's turned to a very light, pretty, warm smelling perfume.

I LOVE this ;) These new Mad Tea party scents are absolutely gorgeous :P

This is something I'd wear daily. It's light, sweet and pretty (without being girly) and it stands out on it's own as a unique scent.

Another incredible scent!!! :D

On me, this sweet pea note is just smelling kinda sour. The white sandalwood doesn't amp up as much as sandalwood normally does on me though. I also get a very faint vanilla bean note. Amber isn't anywhere to be found. And since I don't much like vanilla bean or sour sandalwood, this one is definitely getting tossed.