Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cupide430

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

In the imp and on wet this was almost cloying. The sweet pea and vanilla dominated at first. And as stated before this is a very feminine, sweet vanilla. On me, as this dries the amber and sandalwood come out and round the blend out nicely. The amber is warm and powdery, and the sandalwood lends a milky quality. It's definitely sweet in the end though, almost candy-like. It's youthful, and innocent.

ETA: The sandalwood here gives it a fluffy, almost fuzzy sort of vibe. Like a little mouse. Adorable!

Edited by roseus

This is beautiful, but has NO throw on me. At all. Like, I have to literally put my wrist against my nose to smell it. Other reviewers don't seem to have this problem, so maybe it's just me. If I could smell it from more than a centimeter away, this would definitely be a bottle purchase, because it's gorgeous. But with no throw, I guess I'll pass. Wonder if it's an aging thing. Perhaps I'll get a fresh imp from the lab and see if it has more throw than the imp I received in a trade.

Vanilla, amber, and sweetness... The sweet pea is strong, but smells so innocent and dainty! I thought the sandalwood would take a bit to show up, but I can smell its light, grainy texture right away, making the sweet pea more interesting.

This is a very pretty blend -- a little too much floral innocence for me, but so lovely for the right person.

I received this as a frimp from the lab. I almost didn't try it because I read the notes first... Sandalwood and I are enemies. But perhaps white sandalwood is okay because I get NO sandalwood from this, just a hint of something milky and dry that smoothes everything out and keeps the amber from going powdery. Speaking of the amber, it's cozy. Very cozy and warm. I've always been a fan of sweet pea (It was my Pap's nickname for me after all) and it adds a romantic sort of sweetness to the vanilla. It doesn't really register as "floral" on me. It's mostly a cuddly vanilla scent that I could see myself putting into heavy rotation in the fall. When I put this on, I got an image of myself sitting in the front porch wearing an oversized sweater, sipping coffee with my latest crochet or knitting project in my lap. This is soft, warm, sweet and wonderful. I love it.

Edited by SunsetKay

When i got an imp of this oil, it smelled so sweet and beautiful, but had a chemical vibe about it, most likely because it was fresh. 5 months later, the sharp chemical vibe is still there, but the beautiful fragrant sweetness has faded and all i'm left with is play-doh sandalwood. *Bummed out face* :think:

Edited by theredkilt

Wet: A soft, soft vanilla with amber. Very sugary! A sharp floral edge in the background.

Dry: Soft, bouncy and sugary vanilla. Almost like icing sugar and vanilla. The amber gives it almost an caramel edge. The sweet pea blends in with, and is overpowered by, the vanilla but there is something that isnt quite just the vanilla or amber by itself and adds a bright sweet note (as there isnt enough already!).
At half an hour the sweet pea grows sligtly which gives Mouse’s… more of a floral turn. Still very, very sweet.

When compared to other BPAL scents that are heavy on the vanilla and sweet side, such as Dorian, its easier to pick out the sweet pea in Mouse’s…, as the sweet pea adds some floral air to it, preventing it from going all to cloy and flat. It also adds a little bit of purple/violet into it, if it makes sense to match colors and scents.
Ends as a soft sweet pea scent.

Dominant notes: Vanilla, sweet pea
Type: Sweet: Vanilla floral
Lasting: 4 hours

This one is on my "to-buy" full bottle list (as soon as I stop spending all my money on LE's that is)

It's so pretty!

I get the Vanilla and the Ambers and the Sweet pea...I don't really notice the Sandalwood (though I'm not sure what white sandalwood should smell like)

Wet: Vanilla and sweet pea with amber at base

Dry: amber comes up a little more and all three notes a pretty much equal on me

Oh, could it be? An amber that works on my skin?? For now it does seem to be behaving, and I get no powder at all. There's a gooey, almost fruity richness to this but it's not heavy--instead it's light and soft, like a much-loved sweater or blanket. The sweet pea takes on a warm quality thanks to the other notes, and the sandalwood is soft and cuddly. I'd definitely classify this as more vanilla/resinous than floral. I'll probably end up with a bottle of this, if only because it's the only BPAL I've ever tried where the amber smells like amber is supposed to smell on me.

This was a frimp, but one that I'd been thinking about getting for myself down the line, so yay! :D

In the imp:
Oh, I like this very much. It's vanilla, but not a thick, syrupy vanilla or a creamy vanilla. It's a cool, light vanilla. Almost makes me think of a vanilla popsicle.

On me, wet:
It warms up a little on me, but stays mostly the same so far. Light and sweet.

On me, dry:
The vanilla steps back a little and it smells more woody for a bit, but then the vanilla returns, a little richer and creamier, and still well balanced by the other notes. Oh, I love this!

Verdict:
This will be a big bottle for me. It's a snuggly scent, and a pretty happy one for me in spite of its name. It reminds me of being a kid and having little summertime adventures exploring old neighbourhood sheds with friends, then running off to buy ice cream when we heard the cart's bells tinkling down the street.

Wet, in the imp: Sweets and sugar!

On my arm, Wet : ...Peanut butter? This is interesting. It quickly is taken over by Cotton Candy Vanilla.

Dry, it turns in to a gorgeous cotton candy, vanilla, sandalwood scent. It's beautiful. Very comforting. I think I want a big bottle o' this.

♔ Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

Ah, one of the first scents that stole my heart almost a decade ago. I didn't know what to expect from sweet pea until I smelt (and fell in love with) this. I stopped wearing it because my chemistry morphed- but after morphing again it seems that it's back in rotation now!

In the Bottle: Sugary, pink, vanillic sweet pea- almost cotton candy like.

Wet: Dried, slightly warm and musky sweet peas..hmm - almost gourmand on me. I really love this- the amber is beautiful and light, but far from citric or heavily resinous. It's a creamy pink tinged amber, almost apricot coloured scent on me.

Dry: The blend settles more vanillic on me- like , almost cotton candied, vanillic sweet pea musk. It's a gourmand floral scent on me..not necessarily in the way of being foody or candied, though.

TL;DR: Pink, vanillic sweet pea floral musk

Edited by celestia

I can spot sweet pea in anything no matter how little. It's a distinct smell and as an someone who is pretty meh on florals I love it. If it's got sweet pea I will automatically blind buy. I was not disappointed. I can smell the amber and vanilla still. It almost reminds me of O because of that. the on my skin sweet pea is the star. Lush, soft, sweet, very feminine. It reminds me of my own elementary school for some reason. It was a very small school and the teachers loved their lotion and that's what this reminds me of.

Sweet scents to have a tenancy to turn my stomach so I dont wear this too often. But I did get a big bottle and wear it periodically. Usually for church stuff for family member's events I'm invited to when I'm going to be around a lot of kids and older folks because they always seem to like it :)

It's a super sweet scent on me. Lots of vanilla and a little bit of sweet pea. I get some amber one it dries, which warms it up a bit, but it's mostly vanilla for me. While many would think of this as positive, I don't really enjoy vanilla scents, so this is a pass. Of course if vanilla is your thing, I'd recommend it. I can tell that it's a wonderful scent even if my nose doesn't like it on me.

Wet: heavy on the vanilla, with a touch of floral peeking through

Dry: now the amber and sandalwood provide a soft base for this overall light scent, which I think is quite lovely.

My description: A sweet, dry vanilla with soft florals

Im really suprised I haven't tried this one before.

On me this has 0 throw. NO THROW. I think I saw like two reviews with the same problem. This is a nose-stuck-in-my-skin-scent. I just like, ate it up.

I get no florals. Nothing. Which is fine by me tbh.

This has an amber haze to it.

Sandalwood's sweetness with vanilla.

Maybe a tiny tiny twinge of something powdery thinking it wished it was a floral.

And that's it. Soft, warm, fuzzy. Like dog hair stuck in fleece pajamas. :umm:

Mmm Mouse's Long & Sad Tale is so soft and fuzzy! Lots of sweet pea, sandlewood and amber (I think that's what is giving the fuzz effect) and the tiniest wee dab of vanilla. The sweet pea doesn't really smell particularly floral to me, it's more just this light overlay of sugar, like fairy floss or something. I do really like this one but it is very very light so I usually end up slathering.

In the imp: amber and sugary sweet pea.

Wet: The sweet pea immediately takes over, clean and sweet and... boring. If I press my nose to my wrist I can smell some amber.

Dry: The vanilla finally showed up, just a bit. I'm catching a teensy bit of a dusty, woody note that could be the sandalwood, but just as easily could be my skin (which is still stubbornly clinging to the unpleasant 'aftertaste' of a coffee-based BPAL I put on two days ago) or the similar sweet amber vanilla perfume from another company that I'm deathmatching it against on the other wrist. So now it's sweet pea and vanilla, with amber hiding away somewhere.

This is the second BPAL I've tried this week with white sandalwood and both times it's failed to make any impact. That aside, if you love sweet pea this is a scent you should have in your collection. It's light, cheerful, and utterly inoffensive. Just not quite right for me.

This is actually quite nice on my skin, a very smooth mix of the whole. I guess I didn’t know what sweet pea smelled like but it is a sweet and decidedly unstinky or headache inducing floral. The vanilla and amber and sweet pea overlay again unpowdery sandalwood that lays as a backdrop. A well rounded sweet scent that is neither foody , nor resinous, nor floral but something in between.

Lab Frimp aged about 4 years

I had this on my wishlist, having apparently forgotten I had it. So of course I was delighted to find it! I love all of the notes except for vanilla. But I don't mind a little, as long as it stays in the background. I'm hoping it smells like sweet pea and amber, especially.

In the imp: vanilla, amber, and sandalwood. Everything but the sweet pea.

On me, wet: much sweeter, almost a fruity scent. Kinda like artificial pineapple extract. Too foody for me. No vanilla, but a different foody note is almost as bad!

After about 30 minutes: almost all vanilla, and sugary-sweet. Sigh. I totally agree with those who mentioned cotton candy. Which I have never even liked for eating.

After an hour, it's mostly just plastic, unless I get my nose right up close. Then it's still vanilla, less sweet now.

A couple of hours later, shortly before the scent disappears entirely, there is still the plastic. But up close, the vanilla has gone, and finally I get the mild spiciness of sandalwood, along with some amber. But to be honest, it's too little, too late. And I never got so much as a hint of floral.

Several hours after that: I had thought the scent long gone, and was busy doing some chore that brought my arm up closer to my face, when I noticed the most wonderful fragrance wafting around me. Like a beautiful soft baby powder, but even better. I love the scent of baby powder and am definitely not one to complain about notes going powdery. Some kinds of amber do this on my skin. It's very beautiful now, but I have other perfumes that I love the whole time I am wearing them.

Verdict: 2 out of 5 stars. Too sweet, too foody, too much candy, and way too much vanilla. Vanilla is my note of death. Totally not my thing. Oh well, you can't win them all.

I'm grateful to the labbies for giving me the chance to try this for free, so that I can save my money for a blend I will like better.

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

This is a beautiful vanilla and sweet pea. It’s soft and snuggly. The sandalwood is in the background and the sweet pea is far more sweet floral than planty floral. Eventually the drydown develops a similar light fresh vanilla to dorian. This is like scent comfort food! A light pink and cream Sherpa blanket to snuggle in by a fireplace. I really love this one, it's one that you could pretty much wear for any occasion.

Disclaimer: this review is from a bottle that's like... 10+ years old. (I thought I reviewed this years ago!)

Wet: Unf. Vanilla, amber, and sweet pea. (The amber has only gotten richer with aging.)

Dry: A better version of the wet stage; everything is just deeper, richer. The vanilla and amber are the stars of the show, but the sweet pea adds a delicate note to the mix. (This wears pretty close to the skin on me, but I don't mind that at all.)

It's SO. Freaking. Pretty. If this blend even sounds remotely appealing, you should try it.

Imp fresh from the lab. Initially, this smells like bubblegum to me. :D It does dry down quite pretty, but is definitely very sweet. I will be interested to see how this ages.

A frimp, and not at all a collection of notes I would have picked for myself! I was surprised by its wet scent because it was more sweetpea than I expected. It dries down to something like powdery and milky-sweet vanilla. A fuzzy little white mouse.

I'm kind of scared of vanilla because it sometimes goes sickly and/or totally artificial on me when it dries. This one isn't too bad at all! It remains pleasant, but it's just really not something I'd wear. My long-term tolerance for something this sweet is pretty limited too.

This scent is very warm on me. The vanilla amps up the amber. & I love the gentleness of the sweet pea, & how it seems to float out as the last note. It's a dopey blend that, like TKO, makes me sleepy or want to cuddle up with a blanket & a book. A Spring favorite, but I also see myself wearing it during the beginning of Winter too.

Beautiful sweet vanilla and sweet pea. It’s soft and snuggly. The sandalwood is in the background and the sweet pea is far more sweet floral than planty floral. Eventually the dry down develops a similar light fresh vanilla to dorian. This is like scent comfort food! A light pink and cream Sherpa blanket to snuggle in by a fireplace.