Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cupide430

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale

Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

Holy vanilla batman! Strong vanilla and sweet pea in the bottle and on the skin. As it dries, the sandalwood comes out more and is ever so smokey(?).
One of my favorites. :yum:

In the imp: Sweet. Stomach-churning sweetness

wet: sweet vanilla with what I swear is a hint of cherry. This smells like "Eat Me" part deux.

Drydown: Still smells like Eat Me. This one is VERY sweet vanilla.

Dry: Hours later, still the same.

Conclusion-Doesn't morph. Way too foody for me.

Sometimes this one can be a little soapy. The florals can overwhelm. But most of the time the amber adds a layer of warmth of the blend producing an almost warm foodie quality.

Imp:Vanilla

Wet:Vanilla flower, and very sweet.

Dry:It dried to this cuddly soft vanilla with a hint of the sweetneess and flowers. It's very good when I don't feel well.

Vanilla and sweet pea. Rather sweet but not candy-like. Mm, this is delicious. Soft, creamy vanilla, and I'm rather pleased that it's not turning to straight up sunblock lotion on me, like vanillas usually do. No sign of amber, which I'm glad for, because amber turns to WOAH HEY HEY GUYS HEY I'M POWDER HEY on me. Rather lovely.

Edited to add-

Ugh. Half an hour later and the amber is now in full force. I get no sweet pea and only the slightest trace of vanilla. Sigh. This was so nice too.

Edited by downloadstone

In the bottle, it is a sweet vanilla with a hint of sweet pea florals in the background - the scent is quite unusual but lovely. On my skin, it becomes a warmer vanilla scent, swimming with amber and sweet pea as they come to the fore. After a few hours it is a soft and almost powdered vanilla sugar on my wrist - quite delicate and pretty.

This is a palatable everyday scent.

The vanilla is the ring master on this one, as we figured. I was surprised at how nice the sweet pea complimented it however. Can I use "cute" as the one word description? I just did. sandalwood worked it's magic in the background. This reminds me of being 16.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet! It goes on a very sweet vanilla with a waft of the pink sweet pea floral, and the more it dries, the more it becomes the drydown vanilla that I love in Antique Lace. It is very girly and pretty, and great for an everyday scent. It doesn't have a ton of lasting power, but I have no problem slathering throughout the day...

Oh Mousie! I wanted to love you, but we weren't destined to be. You have that vanilla from Antique Lace and Morocco that is so so sweet, and then the sweet pea to sweeten you up even more!

I love sweet/foody scents, but your sad tale is a little too saccharine for me! :cry:

Edited by littlegoat

This is my never-fail "date night" scent. I have to be very careful when and where I use it, out of consideration for my husband's surprisingly enthusiastic response to it. :P It's delicious sweet golden vanilla goodness made richer and sweeter by the amber, sweet pea and sandalwood, with a slightly watery undertone. Ladies, if none of the traditional smutty-lusty-sexy scents are doing it for you, give this a try. The Mouse is my deceptively cute and fuzzy little secret weapon! :lol:

In the bottle it is definitely vanilla with a wet waft of sweet, soft floral. The smell in the bottle alone made me pause when I picked it up, since it's fairly complex on first sniff.

On me the amber starts to come out, blending with the vanilla, and the floral becomes the barest hint in the background. I can also smell the sandalwood, but it is very, very subtle. Overall a delightful, complex blend. It smells exactly like the description of notes, which meld beautifully with one another, and it lasts, and lasts and lasts. I still got wafts of the scent when I moved nine hours after I put it on. The Mouse seems to love my skin.

This may be my go-to scent. My boyfriend described it as 'hypnotic'.

Edited by lilwhiterabbit

In imp: hint of vanilla

Wet: Vanilla and the sharpness of amber. Maybe a touch of sandalwood—hoping that won’t set off the allergies!

Drydown: Vanilla and sandalwood—and dang it, the sandalwood is making my eyes water…!

Allergic. It’s a pretty scent, but I can’t wear it. Off to swaps.

I tend to amp vanilla, so the main scent I get out of this is vanilla with a slight sweet floral behind. Amazing though. I love finding treasures in my imp box!

In the imp: Kind of flowery, with a hint of vanilla.

Wet on skin: I can pick up the vanilla easier, the sweetpea is fading, and I'm picking up on something sort of dry and musky.. I guess that's the amber? Or maybe the sandalwood..

Dry on skin: The vanilla seems to be receding again, and the sweetpea coming back. The amber/sandalwood is holding its own though.

Like it, but don't love it. I'll let the imp age and see what that does.

ETA: As it sits a bit longer, the vanilla comes back and mingles with the sweetpea. The amber and sandalwood have faded out. Nice!

Edited by Phantasmagoria

Expectations: I knew this couldn't go too terrible wrong on me, as black tea is my favourite note. This is the tea note from Dorian, but more of it, with a teeny vase of sweet peas sitting nearby.

Imp: Dorian's tea note! Yes!!! Very sweet, this is a sugared tea. I'm not getting the sweet pea.

Wet: Sweet tea

Dry: More notes surfacing now. Top note is still sweetened tea, but sweet pea is coming out and is gorgeous (but is not making the blend feel like a floral). There's also something else there serving as a grounding note. I don't think there's musk in this, but there's something with that kind of feel grounding this.

There's something almost effervescent here, like ginger. It must be the sandalwood, which I usually despise. It's really working in this blend, but certainly isn't a top note.

Overall this is a bright, sweet scent. I don't think this is a sad mouse at all, he's very cheerful.

This one will be a bottle for sure. To the top of the bottle list you go, mouse.

ETA: HOLY CRAP, THERE'S NO TEA LISTED IN THE INGREDIENTS!!! That blows my mind, because I'm not getting amber, I'm getting tea!!!

Edited by moosue

In the imp, I smell sweet candied floral, vanilla. Yummy, slightly foody, girly, sweet.

Wet on: I agree that this reminds me of Dorian, and that I would have sworn there was tea and white musk in here. A little bit of lemony vanilla, sugary sweet pea, white musk. I cannot smell sandalwood at any stage. I think that's the amber grounding it with a slightly resiny powdery base. (VERY slight. As in, I wouldn't have been able to put a name to it if it weren't in the note list.)

As it dries, it goes the route of Dorian. Soapy. :\

I can see why this one is popular, but it wasn't really a "me" scent even before it turned to soap.

Mmm this smells nice. Putting this on, I get sweet pea and a soft, warm vanilla. Nothing too rich or foody here. As it dries down, ML&ST starts to turn powdery, but not in a bad way! Think more like freshly washed skin with a dusting of sweet pea-scented powder.

The throw is minimal, and I think the wear is going to be light (it's been two hours since I put this on and it's disappearing). Overall a beautiful, delicate scent that I really enjoy!

Ooh, this is wonderful :bunnyluv:

I didn't expect it to be, with 2 ambers (powder problems), sandalwood (headache problems) and vanilla, but somehow it works.

It's sweet and slightly powdery, and while I can't pick up the sandalwood (yay!) you can tell that it helps ground what could otherwise be a too bright, super sweet scent. Instead it's almost smoky on me.

The sweet pea is wonderful, the vanilla is not candy-like the way it is in Dorian, which turns to pure vanilla extract on my skin. I don't find it foody at all.

It's a simple, warm scent with *very* good throw.

Edited by inkaddict

IMP: woody vanilla

On skin: Hmmm unfortunately soapy on my skin which is a shame as I'd really have liked this one to work on me :( This combination doesn't seem to work for me at all.

Dry down: Still soapy and a bit like medicinal musk. :( Sadface. Definitely not for me. My guess is the Amber or sweet pea.

Edited by follis

In the imp and wet on my skin: vanilla cake. On drydown, here comes the sweetpea and the sandalwood is just starting to appear. All in all, this is a very sweet scent, and I usually don't like those, but I'm enjoying this one.

I bought a bottle of this unsniffed hoping for great things based on the reviews. Unfortunately it just didn't work for me; it was sweet and a little fruity and floral and hadn't any of the depth I was hoping to find underneath (like the vanilla). Sold the bottle to a friend who will appreciate it more!

I love sweet pea and vanilla, but amber and sandalwood are pretty much death-notes for me. I have little hope. ;)

imp: bleh. amber. With a little sweet pea and sweetness - don't give up yet!

wet: as usual, amber is amping.

dry: bland amber powder with a side of sandalwood dust and the tiniest hint of delicious sweet pea. Ah well.

At first, this is all amber and vanilla, and incredibly sweet. I like incredibly sweet scents, so that's no problem. As it dries, I get occasional flashes of a pleasantly sharpish floral scent from the sweet pea. The sweet pea makes all the difference, giving this that unique edge that I love about BPAL. As time passes, the crispness of the sweet pea steadies out, making this a truly lovely, delicate, scent with the sweet pea perfectly balancing and contrasting with the smooth, warm amber and vanilla. Beautiful all the way through, with a unique edge. Light yet languorous. Definitely a bottle purchase!

In the Imp: a bit perfumey, light, juicy (almost fruity), Second test: all that, and a touch of sweetness

Wet on Skin: perfumey (probably the sweet pea); gorgeous amber peeks out for a minute before backing down; Second test: away from my skin, the wafting scent has a touch of the nasty vanilla doom that was in Snow White

While Drying: A bit of the plasticy vanilla note shows itself. (It smells like the same vanilla from Snow White, which I did NOT like). This also reminds me a bit of the Harp of Cnoc I'Chosgair - maybe one of the ambers? Second test: the elbows are picking up a not so great vegetative scent; there is a slight spiciness (amber?) and a dusty-sweet quality on the wrists (vanilla-sandalwood?)

After a Little While: The plasticy vanilla has calmed down, but I still catch bits of it wafting around from time to time. Second test: The elbow scent has improved. The amber scent that peeks through is gorgeous. My skin's reaction to this is just enough to let me realize why so many people love it, but it just isn't quite right on me.

Later: This is getting better and better with time. It dries down to mainly a soft vanilla/amber scent. The plasticy note is gone now. I wish it had a little more oomph and more throw once it reached this stage. Second test: Unfortunately light after the nasty notes go away. *sigh* This had so much potential, and just didn't come through for me.

Final Thoughts: I understand why this is so popular. I wish it worked better on me. Second test: This is so light on me. If I slather, I get more of the plastic-Snow-White smell, but no more of the good aspects. Sadness.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

Light, creamy vanilla with just a hint of amber. This is just simply scrumptious! :yum: I'm actually very surprised by how much I like this blend because usually vanilla and me do not get along at all. The white sandalwood and sweet pea that are listed in the scent description never emerge on my skin, but seeing how much I love the scent that I am getting that's okay with me! :)