Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brienze

Doc Buzzard

No description available.

I guess I'm starting the thread, so I'll have to apologize for being so terrible at picking out notes.

Scent Category - woody/herbal/resin/smoky

In the bottle - In the bottle this is mostly herbal and resinous. There's pine, I think, but it's not "piney". There's something that I want to call patchouli but probably isn't, because I tend not to like patchouli. It's a deep scent without being dark. It's unisex... maybe a bit more to the masculine side, but not in a cologney way.

On, wet - True to the bottle. It doesn't cling to my skin, but the waft isn't that huge either (in a fight between this and the Voodoo Queen on my other arm, Voodoo Queen is winning, even though the way I use my hands puts Doc Buzzard closer to my nose more often).

On, dry - There's a smokiness coming out, a bit like a burning candle. Incensey without being at all sweet. There's a bit of waxiness (the smell, not the texture) though I can't swear that it's the beeswax note from Lupercalia. It may well be.

Summary - I know next to nothing about Voodoo and hoodoo (I skipped that tour cause I was sunburnt from the cemetery tour already :P ), but I can imagine this as the scent of a witch doctor performing a ceremony. It definitely has masculine character, and there's no sweetness to the incensy/smoky bits, but it's also not harsh or acrid. A friend and I are scent opposites (she loves patchouli and woodsy notes) but we both agree Doc Buzzard is fabulous.

Duration - 4 hrs and going strong, as long as you're inside my personal space. Only really morphed the once, from wet to dry.

Rating - 5/5 Of the three C12 scents, this is the one I'll try to imp out the least of, so I can keep more of it for myself!

doc buzzard is masculine in the bottle i think i am getting something mint like, fresh.

on it is very clean smelling w/ a hint of possibly pepper? the mint is gone doc has a woody background, like a fresh tree branch type scent, very nice and there is a resinous undertone, as well as that candle type scent brienze spoke of.

most of yall know the size of my collection by now, lets just say this will get some wear time...major weartime. i am wearing voodoo queen on one hand and doc on the other, and they are the perfect yin/yang. this will be my dh scent and i will wear voodoo queen next tikme we go out....mmmmm sexy!

In Bottle: Dark and woody

On Skin: This is the darkest scent I have ever smelled. It’s very masculine and woody… most woody scents scream “man” to me. The wood is a dry and piney type, not sweet and soft at all. I also smell a sharp herbal note… maybe mint or something fresh like that. I also smell a spicy incense and something smoky… this would actually make a very nice incense scent. I love that although it is dark, the herbal note provides a beam of light refreshment that cuts right through… very interesting! This has a very strong throw, a little goes a long way.

Also, I agree with Sheldoo, this is the counterpart to Voodoo Queen, they work together perfectly!! To me they’re a masculine and feminine pair… I’ll wear Voodoo Queen and my hubby can wear Doc. A gorgeous blend once again!!

2 hours later: The wood has lightened up and softened suprisingly, and I get a slight soapy feel… I’m thinking there may be sandalwood in this? Still a beautiful incense note that blankets the scent perfectly.

Edited by slave1

Doc Buzzard-In the imp: a masculine floral?

Wet: Earthy and something that tickles my nose, is that anise?

Dry: Has softened considerably, I keep wanting to say aquatic, but it's nothing like Cthulhu. Still slightly floral, but they're really BUTCH flowers. I can easily see this one being classified as unisex.

1 hour later: A sharp wood note has dominated everything else. I'm not real big on the woodsy scents, alas Doc Buzzard is not for me.

To my nose this was a woody/earthy/herbal dark green scent... with a whopping dose of LIME. Both in the bottle and on my skin, the strongest note for me was lime.

The C12 scents have really made me wonder whether my nose is completely out of whack - my reactions to these have been totally different from the other reviewers! :P

It's hard for me to review a blend when I don't have 1) a list of notes or 2) lots of reviews to help me figure out what I'm smelling. So I'm sorry if any of this seems way out in left field; my nose is still pretty inexperienced.

edenssixthday generously sent me a q-tip soaked in Doc Buzzard when I bought some imps from her, so I got to try it out, and I have to say the only bad thing about that is that I love this scent.

In the imp (er, on the q-tip) and wet, Doc is an almost fruity, earthy, woodsy blend that smells masculine but not overly so. Dry it's much the same, but yeah, I can pick out a little of a bright lime-like note. After a while I can see how some people thought "pickles" because there's a bit of a vinegar undertone, but it's not strong enough on me to be bad.

I'm usually not into woodsy/incense-y oils, but there's something about this one that I love. I'm so glad I got to sniff it.

Edited by karen

Doc Buzzard, at first sniff, reminds me of that crazy cherry coke smell I get from Voodoo (in the general catalogue). It’s darker, though – both in colour and in sniffability. There’s something a little woodsier to it than Voodoo – though without any overt vetiver. (No vetiver here. In Voodoo, that’s the second note that jumps out at me. Doc Buzzard isn’t earthy like that on my wrist.)

Wet, it turns sweet super fast, and then dries into a dark, dusted wood over a dark musk. It’s got a bit of resin to it, but for the most part, it’s settled into a nice, deep, sweet smoked musk with just the slightest hint of incense.

I’m going to agree with the above posters and say Voodoo Queen on one wrist and Doc Buzzard on the other is the way to go – they balance each other out wonderfully.

First of all, I would like to thank a very dear for the opportunity to try the Convergence scents ~ Thank you Sherry!

When first applied, Doc Buzzard starts out sweet and syrupy but this only lasts for about 10 seconds. As it dries down, I start to get a hint of woodsiness and something that is familiar but I can't place my finger on... After a few minutes, I have finally figured out what that familiar scent is - it's a Fougere ~ Dorian's fougere! But that is the only similarity.

Completely dried down, Doc Buzzard rests on a base of woodsiness - Sandalwood with a very faint tang of cypress and fougere. This scent could be worn by both sexes, although I believe men would wear it much better than women. Good throw and long wear... this is a very lovely scent.

Many thanks again to Jola on Livejournal who made it possible for me to sample the Convergence scents! She is an angel. :P

Doc Buzzard is a very masculine, woody and resinous blend. Whereas the other C12 scents are softly resinous, this is harsh and proud and extremely upfront. It almost has an alcoholic quality, actually.

As it dries down it's grows slightly softer and the wood notes come to the forefront, getting an almost nutty quality. It has quite good staying power, too.

I think this is a fabulously masculine scent. It just screams 'big strong man!' to me!

Doc Buzzard is the companion of Voodoo Queen.

Or you could say the Yang to her Yin! :D

He is mysterious personage and spicy, indeed.. You would do well to be wary of him as it is very easy to be ensnared in his grasp. If you love spicy, smoky, woody *boy* scents, then this is a fragrance for you. I find that this scent to be quite grown up. Doc Buzzard reminds me of someone sitting outside on a veranda smoking a pipe and imbibing a good whiskey.

Richly scented but also subtle. No Old Spice here!

Very, very wearable. And I usually go for the more girly, sweet floral fragrances.

Another winner from the inimitable Beth!

:P

Thanks to Brienze for the sniffie circle!

In the imp: Sweet, resinous, rich

Wet: Just a wee drop from a toothpick to test, but enough to say this is sweet - opium den sweet - with an underlying rich resinous tone to it. Complex and wonderful!

Dry: Doesn't morph much as it dries. Very there. Very sensuous actually. Earthy and woodsy at the base with a strong sense of confidence, masculinity and strength. Rich, complex, well-blended.

If I have a chance to get my hands on some of this without cutting off my arm or offering up my only child in sacrifice, I'd do it.

Bottle: Very masculine, slightly woodsy - it's a dark, green scent.

Wet: Not getting any of the sweetness some others have mentioned. It's pretty in a masculine way, like Oisin, though it goes earthy and incense-y where Oisin goes slightly aquatic. It's surprinsingly clean on the drydown, until...

Dry: Hello, trees! There's a forest on the back of my hand, and this forest holds every kind of wooded vegetation imaginable. It reminds me a bit of Umbra, though it's nowhere near as dark - Umbra is a spot deep in some forgotten wood where the sun doesn't shine and marshland rules, and Doc is a cluster of trees outside that spot, in a clearing on its own, where fresh air is still abundant. There's a resinous note underneath, trying to peek out... the trees keep lashing at it and forcing it back into hiding.

Like the other C12 blends, Doc Buzzard is complex and well-blended. Unlike them, it's also fleeting (Storyville stuck around through a load of dishes, and Voodoo Queen lasts for hours) and a bit too heavily wooded for me. I'll try it on the boy, and probably will keep an imp, but this one is my least-favorite of the bunch. Not bad, just not for me.

I want to preface this thanking BellaKatrina for letting me obtain some of this blend!

In the vial, Doc is cool, cool greenness. Definitely some stands of pine, fir, but no additional notes like leather or smoke are apparent. I'm not sure what to expect, as I don't know the story behind the name of the blend. On my skin, the oil remains a sharper, resinous tree scent but I think there's some benzoin or galbanum, a sweeter true resin that sets a sweeter base for the airier pine. Oh - I bet there's a 'paper' note in this, because I'm detecting a morphing and dusty scent which reminds me of the parchment in Clio. It's quite foresty!

Voodoo Queen and Storyville did not work out well on my skin, so I have some high hopes for Doc Buzzard. I tend to love a lot of the more masculine blends. And at least one of the C12 blends has to work on me.

In the bottle, this reminds me very strongly of Luperci. And anyone who knows me will know that Luperci is my great fragrance love. Patchouli is my friend.

On my skin, this reminds me a lot of Voodoo... it has Voodoo's same cola, patchouli, lime, and a hint of pine. The drydown loses the cola scent and is a meld of wonderfully foresty/earthy scents, with a hint of something resinous and slightly peppery. And still a lot of patchouli goodness on me. :D

In conclusion to my loving rambling, this is now my number one scent for something sincerely forest-smelling. It's amazing. If you like patchouli or Voodoo or Luperci (my two all-time favorite scents ever), you would probably love Doc Buzzard. And it's different enough from both Voodoo and Luperci that it's still unique and completely hoard-able to me.

I paid over $120 for a bottle of this one on ebay, and it was so worth it. The label is adorable too :P

Doc Buzzard

Thanks to Jenpo for letting me try this!

In the imp: no pickles, but I do get lime. Lots of lime, and also a masculine cologne base, with resins…and bay rum. I'm sure there's bay rum in here.

Wet on skin: now some dark wooden notes creep into the scent, and it starts to become green. Still the lime, resin and bay rum cologne remain.

Dry on skin: ooh, this is nice. This is such a unique, complex scent…I'm not sure exactly what's in here, but I can guess…there's something sweetly resinous here-I'm thinking opoponax or labdanum, or maybe benzoin? It's a sweetish scent, and very dark, but with a definite resin feel. There may also be some smouldering myrrh in here, I get that characteristic incense scent from this, it's rich and deep. So yeah, lots of resin and incense here. I also get woods, possibly cedar, dry and also smoky, maybe a touch of sandalwood? This gives it a hint of 'dark green-brown', an earthiness. Maybe some musk too. I think there's also some moss here, enhances the greenness of the scent. The lime/bay rum scent still lingers, though not as strongly. This is masculine but not too much-I really like it.

After a while: this then smoothes out so nicely into a smoky resin-wood musk scent with a bright, high note which may be frankincense. the scent is very resinous now, but with that smoothness and woody earthy scent, and a bit of fresh musk, it to me is very autumnal in feel-it also reminds me of another BPAL or two, maybe a mix of Devil's Night with one of the incense blends…yes, come to think of it, it's very similar to Devil's Night, only more incensy and dark. I think there may be a tobacco note at the base of the scent-or maybe patchouli. Over time as the scent develops more, I think it that the deep earthy note underneath is patchouli...now I get a hint of honey-less Luperci to this,

Verdict: what a fascinating scent! This is one of those unisex, earthy, incense and autumn smoke that has that trademark 'Beth touch' to it-it's a scent that can only be from BPAL. In the vial, it smells like masculine perfume, a deep bay rum and lime scent. Once it hits the skin, resins and woods come out to play, and the blend's complexity is apparent. I get a load of resinous scents, sweet ones and dark ones, a few brighter resins too, all smouldering gently on a background of dry, earthy woods, moss, patchouli and fresh, airy musk. the drydown is almost like Devil's Night-a smoky depth with light tangy musk, with a bit of sweetness. This is a lot nicer than I was expecting-it does smell a bit masculine, but not so much that it makes me smell too butch (but I'm sure a guy would smell drop dead sexy in this). I'm very glad I got to try this rare scent- I won't need a bottle, but I will be keeping my sample!

Emoticon rating: :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

When I first pulled this imp of of its baggy I was struck by how dark it seemed. The oil seemed thicker than any one I've seen so far. After putting it on I was hit with what could only be some knid of pine scent. I'm not really good with tree scents and identifying them but I think this could be it. It was smokey yet at the same time very clean and crisp. I think this is one that could be for men and women. It would be one that my boy and I could wear together. It is very strong and seems to last for quite a bit but isn't obnoxiously strong. It feels almost powerful. Definitely a great oil.

Spicy, woodsy, sweet pine. That's what it smells like to me. Masculine. I don't wear pine well, but my hubby does -- so this one goes to him!

at first: tons of ginger or lemon, plus something a bit sweet and incensy.

on: lots of incense, with what i'm pretty sure is ginger.

2 hours later: a bit salty and incensy.

3 hours later: strong incense, with a bit of resin to it. very pretty.

5 hours later: soft incense.

overall: this is a really nice blend. i really liked the initial blast of ginger, and the resinous incensy drydown was really pretty.

(scylla is SOOOO amazing for sending half an imp of this to me! thank you!!!)

bottle:

lemon and herbal

wet:

woody (a little birch) and spicy

dry:

yum. Woodsy, incensey. Really like this scent, too bad it's impossible to get!

overall:

I'll treausre my little bit!

rating: 8/10

Doc Buzzard is my favorite of the C12 exclusive blends. When I wear it, the very first note I detect is sandalwood. However, after another reviewer noted a touch of lime in it, I looked for it, and sure enough, when sniffed wet in the vial and when first applied to my skin, there is a bit of lime brightness, which adds the most unique twist to the scent. The lime scent fades when the oil dries down, and the sandalwood really comes out strong at this point, accompanied by the most gorgeous, deep, smokey incense note. This scent would probably be put in the category of traditionally masculine, but I absolutely love it -- and I'm usually into the girly-girl type of scents. But Doc Buzzard is lovely. It's deep and resinous, it's got kick without being spicy, and it is warm and so incredibly sexy. I had the misfortune of spilling some on my desk, and what I couldn't soak up with giveaway Q-tips, I mopped up with a washcloth which I then laid out in that room, and a week later, that room still smells so warm and inviting because of the Doc Buzzard. On my skin, it lasts nice and strong for about 4 hours and is pretty much completely gone by the 6 hour point. This is definitely my favorite among the more woody, resinous, and incensey BPAL blends, and by far my favorite C12 blend. It's gorgeous.

Edited by edenssixthday

First, I thought perhaps some people might be interested in knowing who Doc Buzzard was. I'd run across his name before, but found this (edited by me) when I googled him (under Dr. Buzzard):

Doctor Buzzard was supposedly the greatest root worker of all time, a

gifted magician and conjure, and a healer as well. Many informants told

Hyatt that Doctor Buzzard had been a white man, and that he had died in

the late 1920s, about 10 years before Hyatt interviewed them. These

accounts were consistent and coherent.

Several informants also told Hyatt that in the vacuum left by the death

of the original Doctor Buzzard, a number of "Little Doctor Buzzards" had

sprung up in various locales in the South-East. Most of of the

second-generation Doctor Buzzards were black; one was said to be

claiming that he was the white Doctor Buzzard's illegitimate son. The

informants' opinions of the reputations of the faux Doctor Buzzards of

the 1930s varied; some were judged to be poor copies, others to have a

degree of power and knowledge approaching but never exceeding that of

the original.

For an overview of Harry M. Hyatt's 5,000-page long book on hoodoo

magic, see

http://www.luckymojo.com/hyatt.html

That was from Cat at Luckymojo

On to the review:

I only have a bit of this that a forumite was kind enough to swap with me, but I'm delighted to try it. It is a complex scent, and on me, I agree most with the previous reviewers who compare it to Devil's Night and Voodoo. On me, it also has that Coca-cola scent that Voodoo has, and just a touch of smoke and burnt sugar from Devil's Night.

Beneath that, there are rich woods, definately sandalwood, and yes, perhaps a resin. I'd guess frankincense as well. and there is something earthy underneath....

Overall, its dark and sweet and smoky all at once. I imagine a root-worker's cabinet, redolent with wood and herbs, and a bit of sweetness to make a palatable potion. (Obviously I'm imagining someone making something to drink, rather than a mojo!)

Its quite lovely--better than both Voodoo and Devil's night that it brings to mind. And yes, I'll repeat what everyone else said--its a good match for Voodoo Queen.

I'm glad I got to try this!

I thought that Storyville would be my favorite of the 3 Convergence exclusives, but Doc Buzzard and Voodoo Queen have both bowled me over. I'm so, so sad that they're so rare, because they're easily my favorite BPAL blends ever.. Hell, the 3 of them probably rank amongst the best perfumes I've ever smelled, in my book.

It's very hard for me to pick out individual notes in Doc Buzzard, but it's overwhelmingly masculine and dark spicy-sexy. I don't think I could even handle letting my husband wear this. It's *that* good. It's herbal, but that's usually a bad thing and it's definitely not in this case. It's got something in there that's very faintly sweet, and a whiff of smoke that manages to be totally devoid of the tobacco association I usually get from smoke notes. This stuff is GOOD.

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

Oh no!

I didn't mean to love this. I didn't!

But it's so delicious on me. And now I want more.

It's a bit of cherry cola mixed with musk on first application. I can't stop huffing my wrist.

It definitely has some dry notes in it, of the sort that I usually fall for. Nothing like patchouli, but hmmmm....

The throw is medium. It doesn't get sucked immediately into my skin, but I can't smell it when my wrist is against my laptop, typing.

As it sits, it becomes decidely more dry, more resinous. I love this sweetness that reminds me of cherry cola though!

from the Convergence Sniffie Us tour...

in the vial - sharp, medicinal and herby. there's a note I can't place that reminds me of antiseptic.

on, wet - the same.

on, dry - still very much the same, it's not quite as sharp but still herby and medicinal.

on, 1hr later - It's softened up considerably, it's now a sort of masculine powdery incense smell. Still a little to sharp for me, but I bet it would be loverly on a boy.

Wow, resin. This is stark and smoky incense on me, full stop. As it dries, I get more of the wood note others have mentioned, something that lists towards pine sap. It smells very masculine to me. After a while, I get a bit of a floral-like note as well, but it's strongly obscured by the smoke. Overall, it ends up being a compelling forest scent. Lovely.