Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Storyville

This is a perfect scent. It is foody and gourmand, but very subtle as well. On th edrydown, I'm left with the scent of musk and vanilla, but nothing overpowering, honestly, it is a PERFECT mix of my all-time favourite BPAL scents. I would chase this down. O yes. Anyone want to rob a bank with me?

Having heard of the wonders of Storyville, I was delighted at the opportunity to swap for an imp. My excitement was tempered, however, by the knowledge that red musk and I are not the bestest of friends. It doesn't always go wrong, but it definitely makes me wary.

In the bottle, it's sweet, creamy, a little gingery and incensey. In other words, delicious. There's a definite similarity to snake oil, but with less patchouli.

Dry, there's vanilla and spicy woodiness, and a tiny hint of peanut butter. Dammit, red musk. This is still nice, but I'll swap it to someone it can live up to it's potential on.

In the imp this is gorgeously creamy in a vauguely foody way and musky but with a bit of sharper kick to it on top if that makes sense. Like it has red musk and then a lighter musk on top.

On my skin this is yummy! Creamy vanilla and cocoa but then a sexy musk too. You'll love this if you like Snake Oil type incarnations, Smut, Hollywood Babylon etc. Oddly though in the final stages of the drydown I get a tiny hint of soap in the background but I think that may be due to 'time of the month' things where red musk can turn a bit soapy but usually I think this would be amazing.

I felt kinda funny buying this when someone put a bottle up for sale recently, because it's such a sought-after scent and almost seems like you should have to run through some kind of gantlet to earn the right to get it. But I was miserable and figured it would make a nice birthday present to myself. I think if any of my friends knew I spent that kind of money on a scent I'd never even smelled, they'd bombard me with criticism, but BPALers understand. I hope! :P

I really don't regret it, either -- I love this scent and can see why it's so popular. It reminds me of many of my favorite BPAL scents -- there's that wonderful, gorgeous quality I get from Mme. Moriarty and Snake Charmer (which smell of a kind to me), the dry, not-too-sweet cocoa of Candy Butcher or Underbed, and that lighter, not-too-sneezy cassia of Underbed, as well. I also pick up the perfect vanilla/light sassafras of my beloved Tombstone. I feel like there's a tiny note of musk, sweet along the lines of Smut, but I don't know. I'm not sure it has any of those notes, but I love it all the same.

It's a perfect scent for when I need a pick-me-up -- it smells wonderful and knowing it's rare makes it all the more special. I'm really grateful I had the chance to enjoy this one.

:D

Many thanks to allidavie for the chance to try this one! I love the way the wet phase smells on me most of all: sweet honey (or sugar cane? I get an initial flash of something almost Temple Viper-ish) and vanilla that stay sweet and rich, a ginger/cinnamon spiciness that never overpowers (or turns to red-hots), and a delicious muted musk. Unfortunately, the drydown is much less complex... just faint incense on me. Two hours in, there's nothing left. If this ever came back, I would buy lots so that I could enjoy that initial stage over and over again... but I will be passing this on so someone else can try it.

There's something around the spice and the musk at first, something almost sharp that I cannot describe, but it settles soon into a complex, warm, sweet, and sensual blend. I'm so glad my skin chemistry likes this one. It dries down to vanilla and musk and spices and something indisputably New Orleans. Beautiful scent, very well made.

Finally got my hands on an imp of this, and I have to say it's not what I'd expected. It's lovely, but I don't get any musk from it (not that that's a problem for me!). What I get reminds me a lot of Red Lantern without the coconut note. And I love Red Lantern (and I love the coconut note!). So not so special on that count. It turns into pure vanilla on me, and lasts forever. I like it, but there are things I like better!

a generous sniffie from Bloody Fangs is allowing this review to happen- thanks!!!

in the vial: every yummy, spicy dessert item i have ever wanted to eat heaping bowls of in one sitting. :swoon:

wet on skin: i get what folks are saying about the foodie-but-subtle thing- his isn't the over-the-top sweetness of, say 13. it's got the angel food cake quality of Underbed, but there's also something more sophisticated about it. maybe coffee/mocha frosting :P

dry down: now something a bit more cinnamon-y has emerged. it's pretty sexy.

in all: totally glad i got to try it, and while i'll love the remains of this sniffie and any vials that get thrown at me, i won't pay hundreds of dollars to get me some, either, so you can see where this fits in the scheme of things.

:D

This is based off a pipette sniffie.

WOW. If this smells on the skin as good as it just smells, I can understand the craze. To me it smells like the ultimate foodie/musky blend. Just enough spice and sweet to go with the musky base I smell. I can definitely smell the vanilla, and usually we're not friends, but I do want to become HER friend in this blend, if you catch my drift.

Mmm.

If it weren't so darn rare, I'd like to try some of it one day!

ETA: Managed to swap for a teensy bit of this lovely. It's this spicy, musky vanilla. It really is the ultimate foodie/musky blend - spicy and sweet and musky and droolicious. I am not a huge convert, but I think I'll be huffing this every so often.

Edited by zankoku_zen

Unfortunately for me, years after C12, I have fallen for Storyville. Someone on the first page mentioned it's kind of gross in the bottle and needs to be given a chance. I totally agree. I let a few precious vials of this slip through my hands...which I could be putting to very good use now. :P

Anyhow, in the bottle, it's almost nauseating, though that's because it's one of the strong scents I call 'incensey.' If I give it more of a chance, I smell tobacco leaf (not burning...this is nice but very dark), a deep vanilla lurking behind the heady tobacco and a dose of a lovely amber.

On my skin, wet, it smells like old, old French perfume (fitting, eh?) and quickly the vanilla comes out to soften the effect. A few more minutes and the amber is very apparent but not overwhelming.

This is a heady scent but with a light throw, which is good so it can be more-safely worn in public. I get no musk from this, which is fine by me. Most musks and I don't play well. I must say this will always be, IMO, one of the most skillfully-blended scents in Beth history. God, to have her re-release it!

Dry on my skin, it's powdery, creamy, slightly sweet with a deep, dark undertone. Storyville has won foody/fresh me over to the darkside. Dare you take the pluge? Don't; it's very expensive to visit Storyville anymore. :D

Edited by djnevermore

YUM. Gingery, vanilla-y musk. This reminds me a bit of Shub, but I like this better. If it's ever resurrected I'll be all over this one; it smells divine and I get the appeal it has for so many.

This is all dark bitter cocoa and wood to me- I cant tell if I like it- sometimes I think I do and sometimes I dont!

got a sniffie of this from someone, with just enough to test! in the imp it smells like a strange, foody, musty herbal scent. on my skin it gets less musty, and the herbs come out strongly. there is some vanilla-caramel/cocoa scent in the background which isn't really doing much for me. this is too herbal/foody for my personal tastes, but i am glad i finally got to try it.

eta: i tried it again and it smells better but is really subtle. it reminds me a LOT of vice-it's chocolatey.

Edited by theseagrows

Once again, I'm glad that I'm getting to review probably one of THE most coveted BPAL oils. And I'm going to put it exactly as I think it.

First impressions...Another foodie, not anything amazingly special.... to decribe it quickly I would say caramel/musk with quite a stong wood. I've recently developed a soft spot for foody scents, I disliked them when I first started collecting them a while back. Then??? I probably would have marked this as about a 2 out of 10.

Since I've found the foodie love I would probably say this is about a 5 out of 10. Honestly.

Yes...it's nice, there is a kind of buttery popcorn element to it, but my chemistry is amping this wood and making me smell like a caramel covered tree trunk (In a good way of course).

Dryer still, there's a very faint cocoa smell added in, almost like hot choclate powder. (I can see how this would be heaven for some people)

I think there are other scents that are similar to this if you're dying to try it, like...Freak Show possibly? to me it has the same vibe. (Although it's very rare also)

There's no doubt I'll be holding on to my imp for a while, I bet in a few months I'll be back here like a shot to edit this review, because I will have finally found what evryone else has found, but until then... this oil is nothing wowzer like I thought it was going to be.

ETA: I can kinda see once this is dry that..there is a slight resemblance to Snake Oil, and the vanilla in here is very much like Tombstone when it's dry. It's much sweeter though. No Spice like SO... it's cool. But I'm still happy I haven't fallen in love with this rarity.

Edited by ouch!

I *had to* try this because everyone is always raving mad over how amazing it is and paying crazy prices for decants and what not. I can see how it could be mind-blowing on the right woman...it is a sultry, seductive incense blend that's soft and powdery and smoky with a bit of a raunchy edge. It's the raunchy edge that's killing me here, though...it's going a little bit too raunchy on my skin (though I think it smells better on than in the vial!) I am so incredibly grateful that I can knowingly pass on this one, fully aware that I'm not missing out on some holy grail, and never having to swap my future first born for a bottle of the fabled Storyville!

Wow, no wonder so many people are ga-ga over this! It's absolutely lovely. I was sent a sniffie by the ultra kind-hearted citharadraconis, and I managed to pull just a little of the fragrance onto my skin. There's definitely some cocoa playing in here, along with vanilla and and some musk-honey-sandalwood aspects. A tinge of tobacco. I liked what LiberAmoris said about "Smut meets Velvet." I can kinda get behind that. I wouldn't pay outrageous prices for anything (nope, not even 54) but I shure would like to have a bit of this in my collection. It would keep my beautiful and lonely Voodoo Queen company - now, doesn't that make you feel bad for me and compel you to send me some? :lol:

Alright, I was sent a sniffie of this and I managed to extract a tiny bit of oil to try. Honestly, I am not a foodie person, so this was NOT up my alley. I agree with some forumites who have stated a similarity between this and Wezwanie/Hold. There isn't as much hazelnut here, but definitely cocoa. Musk underscores this blend, but all in all, I smell like musky brownies. Not for me, although I am really glad I got to try it.

I'm still a little stunned that I even managed to score a full decant of Storyville- my hands were shaking as I opened the packet, and I was SO relieved to see my lovely seller had wrapped the imp in wads and wads (and wads and wads) of bubblewrap. At first sniff, it's... gah. It's magic. It's smooth, creamy yet not overpoweringly sweet. The red musk and woods mix with a rich caramel note which only intensifies on my skin. There's a deep base of cocoa too, but I have to really sniff to catch it. On the drydown, the spices start to amp- I think I smell cardamom and nutmeg. There's also a faint nuttiness to this which is gorgeous. It all manages to be foodie and sexy without being too smutty or cloying, and I definitely second the review saying it's like a mix between Smut and Velvet. Absolutely gorgeous, but I think I'm going to have to save this imp for very, VERY special days. Back into your bubblewrap, my dear!

Sniffed: Orange oil. Sweet; chocolatey, maybe a caramel note/brown sugar, pretty creamy and a little boozy. Bourbon vanilla. There's a dry woodiness, like sandalwood or even maybe cedar.

Wet: Holy tobacco and musk! With rich, boozy bourbon vanilla. Most of the chocolate note fades, but not all. The tobacco and musk really amp. Still quite dry and woody.

Dry: Now this is reminding me of Antique Lace! But this isn't floral and lacks the linen note - but it's the same type of vanilla. Most of that caramel note and all the chocolate has burned off - it's vanilla, tobacco, and sandalwood, the latter going a bit dusty-dry.

Later: When I put my nose close to sniff - I get tangible warmth from the area where I tested - a rich, deep muskiness that's just lovely - I get an almost masculine, exotic sort of musk. The sandalwood has is smoother now, and merging with the tobacco. This reminds me a LOT of Black Lace, without the spicy incense note.

Summary: Indian musk (I'm positive!), tobacco, bourbon vanilla, maybe even some booze, sandalwood, and I get a chocolate note that burns off quickly. Sweet, rich, darkly sexy, complex & sophisticated. Good throw & longevity.

I like it a lot...but I'm not sure that it's me - it's a little dark and mature for my tastes.

I was very fortunate to test this today at a M&S. I'm a poopie head - I don't see what is so fantastic about it.

Sure, it's pleasant, but it doesn't scream NOLA (one of my favorite cities!) or ZOMG MUST HUNT THIS DOWN NOW AIIIIEEEEE! at me.

More for everyone else, I suppose :lol:

In the vial: vanilla

Wet: spiced vanilla musk

Beautiful! This is so lovely. Reminds me of a lot of things. Warm and womanly. Mmmmm. All I have is a sniffie and it is empty now. *despair*

I know this is sacrilege but I don't think I will ever understand the lust for this one. On me it smells like hazelnut and spice and disappears in about 5 minutes. Meh. More for everyone else.

A lovey forumite frimped me a sniffy of this. You guys are great!!

So, on to the review. This is a lovely musky, (maybe a bit boozy, like bourbon?) vanilla, but not too sweet. It is tempered by the musk, and maybe a bit of tobacco? If I had to compare it to anything, maybe Inez with a bit of Perversion thrown in, minus the woods of Inez and the leather of Perversion, or even a muskier less sweet Underpants without the spice. I smell the musk of Smut/Snake Oil here, I think. It really is unique though, and difficult to compare to anything. I love this, :wub2:, it's like my perfect scent, but know I'll probably never get to smell it again on me, so I guess I'll enjoy my morning with Storyville. *sigh* Plus the fact, if I do ever get my paws on any more, I'd never wear it for fear of using it up.

Oh, but I am very happy to have tried this, very much appreciated! :joy:

Edited by milo

Thank you to the VERY generous forum member who provided me with a sniffie of this....you know who you are B)

In the vial: Vanilla...wood...musk (?) Oh sweet jeebus :thud: This is going to be good. The oil color is a wonderful warm orange color.

Wet: Very similar to the Monsterbaits! This smells like a pair of MB:Underpants was thrown into a MB:Closet. This is a sexy, spicy, vanilla mixed with wood notes (sandalwood?) and some resin (amber? a hint of patchouli? some musk?) Everything synapse in my brain is firing off and shouting OMFG LOOOVEEE! :joy: All of the notes are well blended in this one...it's hard to just pick out one.

Dry: This just melts into my skin and works oh so well :wub: Storyville dries into a vanilla musk with woody resin notes. Really, that's the only way I can describe it. This is a rich, gourmand (not overly foody) perfume with a dash of spice. I can see why everyone loves this so much. Why oh WHY do all of the amazing scents have to be so rare?! Gah!

Overall: Beautiful, sexy, delicious...all of the above...I'll take two please! :lol: I'm so happy I was able to try this but DAMMIT why do I have to love it so much?!

On me, this smells like Morocco (without that weird plastic thing that Morocco does on me occasionally) plus light tobacco, musk, and a soft unobtrusive spice. It's very pretty and sexy, and it's spicier now than I remember from the last time I tested it. I had been thinking it was smoother, kind of creamier than this. I think maybe the vanilla in it was stronger when it was fresh.

I've had a decant of this for a few years, but I've never worn it. I tested it once when I first got it, but the rareness of it made me feel like I never had a special occasion that was special enough to wear it. So I never did. If I had a bottle, I'd definitely wear it.