Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Storyville

This may be one of the best BPAL scents ever. The vanilla, musk, spices, etc, are so very smooth and rich. I don't know what I could say that hasn't already been said. I ended up wearing this to my wedding, despite having to use the last of my tiny stash of it. I am hoping very much for a re-release.

I was Santa'd a tester this by the amazing Wren08, and I'm glad I won't have to run around trying to chase down more: Storyville smells exactly like a less sweet, less saffrony version of MB: Underpants on me. It's beautiful and decadent and sexy and I can see why people love it so, but I like the somewhat-less-rare Underpants quite a bit more.

I too owe my chance to test Storyville to the amazing wren08!

In the vial: Red musk (with the distinctive "corn tortilla" note) and vanilla.

Wet: Vanilla very much like Snake Oil, but with a more musky underlay. I can smell other things wanting to come out as well; this needs to blend.

One hour: This reminds me a great deal of Black Lace! It has the same boozy vanilla note, but I think it's more musky, at least on me. It also lacks one of the notes in Black Lace that I think is floral. But wow, sweet musky vanilla! I can understand why this one is so popular.

Three hours: Still coming on strong. This is still a lot like a less boozy, more musky version of Black Lace. It has a lot of throw and hasn't faded or changed much at all. It's a little bit softer around the edges, is all. She's the bad-influence elder sister of Black Lace, the soft zaftig one with the inviting, throaty laugh that makes you want to sink into her arms. The one Black Lace swore she wouldn't grow up to be like at all, at all, but you can still see the family resemblance when they're both in the same room.

After several hours on me this faded to a fairly true vanilla bean, but I got at least six hours out of my encounter with it. She loved me long time, for sure!

It's funny, everybody says "musk" but I don't get any musk at all.

What I do get is a seductive, dirty, red brown scent that I can't get around the composition to pick out notes. They go together far too well! It's smoky, spicy and warm with some sweetness... and it does not last long enough, ever!

Well, this epic scent turned out to be an epic fail on me as I found out at the C2 MnS. I've come to the conclusion that there is a certain type of cardamom and a certain type of musk that don't like me to a high enough degree as it is on their own and really hate me to death when teamed up. They did it in Enraged Groundhog Musk and now they did it in this. In fact, the drydown of this is the spitting image of the drydown of Enraged Groundhog Musk was on my skin. Smelling it in the bottle I could definitely tell there was a ribbon of cakey vanilla in there, but on my skin it disappears in all of a fraction of a second when whatever this musk is and whatever this cardamom is band together and turn it into an overwhelmingly plasticky type of thing with a rancid nutty undertone that is actually pretty nausea-inducing. I'm glad I tested it on my ankle too, because the stuff is damn strong too and would have made me sick wafting up to my nostrils from my wrist the rest of the day. Thankfully it was Love's Philosophy that was doing that. So long, Storyville.

Edited by Invidiana

Holy shit. I cannot believe I am currently holding a tester of this. Holy. Shit. Thanks so much to my AMAZING fairy over on LJ, wren08! I don't know if she's on here, but, still, WOW!

In the imp, this is a deep, woody, spicy musk to me. On my skin, this is a red musky, spicy vanilla with a darker undertone. We'll see what this does (please let me NOT fall for the ultimate BPALicorn, please!). Turns into a spicy, cakey vanilla on me. ...It's definitely nice. But, it's not anything I need to desperately seek more of. And I think I'm going to be passing this on to someone who's had a rough time of it just recently who just bought from me.

Edited by Venneh

I got my hands on a tiny, tiny testable amount of this from a good friend of mine who gets brownie points forever and ever.

In imp: So faint I can barely smell anything. Musky vanilla, so far.

Wet: This is reminding me a great deal of snake oil. It has that same spicy, musky vanilla quality, with just a brush of red musk.

Drying: I finally get the cocoa everyone mentions, mingling with everything else. What we have here is a death-defyer of a perfect scent, sweet snake oil vanilla goodness with some musk and a sweetness that absolutely cannot be beat. Unsurprisingly, Storyville is just as good as everyone says, and even though one test on one wrist is likely all I'll ever see of it, I'm so glad I got the opportunity to try it, it was well worth the test for the experience! 5/5

It's not much in the bottle, but on my arm it paints a beautiful and complex scent poem about new Orleans. Imagine a canvas of old wood, stone, and muddy water with an evolving collection of spicy sexy goodness parading across it. I wanted to roll in it. I wanted to like it. It is nothing I will even be in a position to possess, but I have spent the evening exploring it's ins and outs. This does not have a lot of throw, but it it grabs me by the hind brain and melts my bones.

Origin:

Partial 5mL bought on eBay.

Preconceived notions:

Storyville is my white whale. I've been searching for it since it was first released (a little over four and a half years) and had almost given up hope on ever finding so much as a tester. So I'm equal parts thrilled and terrified to try this. It has the potential to either be my greatest BPAL moment ever or to break my heart into a million tiny little pieces. 86440045.PCDDqeEw.nailbiting.gif

Scent-wise, I'm expecting something musky rich with vanilla, spice, maybe some chocolate and booze. And I'm expecting that scent combination to be amazing.

First sniff:

This smells like BPAL. I mean that in the sense that it smells like what I would imagine the Lab to smell like. It has that indefinable musky, spicy, slightly sweet, slightly earthy smell that just screams "BPAL!" to me. I can't pick out any particular notes in here, but I can say that this smells amazing. :heart:

Wet on skin:

Vanilla musk and ever-so-slightly spicy cocoa (not a lot) with something boozy in the background (can't say for sure what kind of booze it is...could be bourbon or cognac, maybe). This smells exactly like I'd hoped it would based on the reviews (and my fevered imagination's epic imaginings). There's maybe a little bit of tobacco here, too, but it's so hard to say.

Everything just swirls together and it's incredibly hard to pick out any of the notes. I just get an impression of spiciness, booziness, muskiness, deep vanilla and a dusting of rich cocoa overtop. This isn't a foody scent to me, exactly. It's a sensual, deep, rich, grown-up scent that grabs me by the subconscious and yanks me in.

Dry down:

I could cry tears of joy right now. I'm so, so in love with Storyville. It really is everything I ever wanted it to be. :thud:

As it dries, the spicy chocolatey boozy musk scent stays but it gets deeper and even more blended smelling. I still get the impression of some very rich, cured tobacco in here, too. I have to say that I think this would smell amazing on a man, too. It's so rich and sensual smelling. I'd slather this on my husband if I weren't so rabidly possessive of my precious partial bottle.

The bottom line:

Everything I ever wanted and more. If Storyville were ever to make a comeback (which I gather is impossible), I'd buy a dozen bottles. It's that good. This was worth every penny I paid for it and more. :heart:

ETA: Amending my review to be more thorough. Playing BPAL note detective! ;)

I've been trying out various amounts of Storyville, trying to pin down the notes a little more, now that I've had plenty of time to let it rest and get to know it a little more, ahem, intimately and I agree with most of the notes that other people have picked out.

Here's what I'm thinking the notes list would include:

• Definitely:
  • Vanilla (definitely)
  • Musk (not sure what kind, but it doesn't seem to be white because it's not clean and powdery)
  • Cocoa
  • Whiskey (I'm basing this on the fact that the booziness in Storyville smells a lot like the whiskey in Mad Sweeney on me - rich, sweet, a little musky and oh-so-sexy)
  • Cinnamon (just a little bit)

Probably:
  • Coffee (I don't smell coffee explicitly, but it does have some similarities to the coffee note in some other blends, like The Arabian Dance and Misk U v3...sort of a rich, dark brown scent rather than screaming fresh-brewed coffee beans)

Maybe:
  • Honey (could just be the sweetness of the vanilla and whiskey)
  • Tobacco (could be the whiskey again since Mad Sweeney reminds me a little bit of cured tobacco in some ways, too)

Edited by Penance

In the decant: Boozy vanilla bourbon. A bit sharp and bright.

Wet: Not much different on the skin than from sniffing the imp. Maybe some spices deep in the blend.

The dry-down: An hour late, it's calming down, but slowly. Three hours or so later, this has changed into an elegant vanilla musk, but not foodie at all. There's also hints of some resins, a bit of powdery amber, and those spices, and perhaps some sandalwood. I'm not getting any ginger, and if there is cocoa, it's the baking cocoa powder, very dry. Not at all sugary sweet. I like the long-term dry down phase, but it does take a while to get to this point, alas. Would I bid for a bottle on ebay? That's a very good question, but probably not. A full decant might be nice, though.

ETA: I have sadly forgotten the name of the wonderful person who sent me a tester, but I do want to thank them muchly for allowing the chance to test this. :)

Edited by thekittenkat

Thanks to the fabulous cfrancesca, I get to review this (and silently cry that I will never find a bottle...) :wub2:

The chocolate note is the most realistic dry cocoa scent I've ever tried. The vanilla is coconutty with spices like nutmeg and definitely cardamom, because I always get a faintly dusty, sometimes plasticky spiciness from cardamom. This makes me think of a coffee cake...a much less foody Underbed. I also get oak-aged bourbon, and smooth sandalwood...the lovely one that's in Anne Bonny.

I'm going to start padding the paypal account to fight to the death for a bottle of this next time it's on ebay. It's that good to me.

I finally got to try this thanks to Mellifluous...holy moly - now I understand what all of the hype is about. This stuff is outrageous. I think it's one of the most delicious things I have ever smelled. I smell a slightly spicy Vanilla, with maybe a bit of Black or Red Musk, I swear there's a bit of Patchouli in there (maybe the black variety?)...holy moly again. Love at first sniff...this tester will be used on very special occasions. $300 worthy indeed. :)

In the decant: Foody lighty spiced red musk, a slight buttery note.

Wet on skin: A beautiful rich foody vanilla, slightly boozy red musk, spices, hazelnut, a hint of cocoa and/or tobacco.

Dry on skin: Oh my! I love this. It's a slightly boozy, slightly foody high class vanilla musk with hints of cocoa, tobacco, spices, resins and nuts.

Final thoughts: I think Storyville lives up to its expectations when dried and working with your skin chemistry. Unfortunately, Storyville has a bittersweet meaning to me, as I bought two decants from different sellers one week apart, but one never made it home... I cherish my decant dearly, wear it only rarely and I'm always on the hunt for more, as it is truly marvelous. I'd love a bottle... but then again, who wouldn't? ;)

Try if you like: Elephantine Colossus, Wezwanie/Hold, Devil's Night, Smut, Snake Oil.

Imp: Smells like butterscotch, toffee, caramel.. very sweet and maybe a bit boozy. Hard to make out.

On my skin: Very creamy sweet musky vanilla. I cannot test enough from this tester/sniffy, but the amount on my arm just smells divine. It smells like.. cotton candy, the faintest floral note (powdery lilac?), slightly foody and, most of all, buttery and sugary. Delightful.

Thanks for the tester, you know who you are. :D

Smells like .... Cake Smash. Only cakier. That's as close as I can come to describing it. In fact, I could go so far as to say that it is the yellow cake note because that is the one that smells artificial to me on my skin. This is pretty, but not something I'll hunt for.

I keep telling myself i do not like this..... But um, yeah that is lying. Its smells nice. damnit. I wanted to hate you Storyville cause i will never be able to afford a bottle of you. Thank you to my angel who sent me a sniffie :wub2: cause really, i never thought i would even get to try it. Its kinda cake smashy with some warm spices thrown in there. And musk. Maybe some tobacco? Its got a masculine feel to it on me. I do not feel the need to remortgage my house to purchase some, but its sure a pretty blend. I wish the lab would re-release it. Until then i will open my sniffie and huff happily....

A big BIG thank you to allidavie for giving me the opportunity to test this! :wub2:

Wet: Spicy caramelized vanilla and... a hint of woods? This is good. This is really, really good. CRAP. :lol:

Dry: This is gorgeous. I can see why it's so popular! The drydown stays almost exactly the same as the wet stage. This is so, so good.

5/5 :cry2:

I also thank allidavie for a tester!

On me wet, this was a boozy, foody melange of cakey heavy caramel and musk. My nose may have been playing tricks on me, but I could have sworn.. something plummy, almost?

On drydown, a sweet strong cocoa appeared to mix in with the rest. My thoughts at this point are that I smell like musky German chocolate cake soaked in alcohol. It just didn't like me.

After all the hype (and seeing that eBay auction), I was expecting something just stunningly gorgeous. But it really did not like my skin. At all.

So I'm doubly grateful. For getting to test this, and for my pocketbook having dodged a bullet!

Another thanks to allidavie, but now I hate you :) I am so in love with this scent. I knew, knew, knew I should not open that tester and try it. This is so wonderful its Cakesmash (which is a fave) x 10. I know I will never be able to get my hands on more, but am so thankful for having this rare oppurtunity.

I got a tester of this is a PIF from Caper -- apparently originally from Allidavie, so if you're reading this, know that your testers are still making the rounds!

Opening the imp, my first thought was that *this* was the gingerbread scent I've been waiting for! LOL. Seriously, sweet spicy thick syrupy cake.

On my skin, it bloomed. The tobacco came out alone briefly, then faded back into the luscious vanilla rum cake. But calling it cake is just not doing it justice -- there is definitely musk and cocoa here, too. But the whole thing blends into this amazing scent that wafts up from my wrist.

This is what I wish other BPAL baked goods scents smelled like on me. Um.

I really wanted to hate this, y'know? :cry2:

Beth is a fucking genius. I'm glad I got to try this, even if I'll never hold a bottle in my hands.

So...

I got a teeny tester in a recent swap!! So exciting to test the "Holy Grail" of BPAL!!

Sniff from decant: I get sweet and sexy all at once. I am a foody fan and of course a Snake Oil lover, so this is a plus so far!

On Skin: Sweetness hangs a bit, but not overly to me. The muskiness of it starts to come out. I think this is exactly what the front walkway of a brothel would smell like!

Drydown: It softens up a bit, but at the same time has a decent throw. I am glad I don't love this since it is so VERY hard to get (would be easier to climb Mt. Everest!) But to me, if you like O, Smut, and/or Womb Fury, this would be for you. Smells like a mix of all three, but not too strong on me as those 3 can be!!

Finally got to try this thanks to the amazing MuskWitch! I was actually afraid to try it because I didn't want to fall in love knowing I'd probably never get more. Luckily I'm safe!

In the imp: Sweet, tiny bit plasticky vanilla.

On my skin: Sweet, slightly powdery vanilla with a hint of musk.

Dry: More of the same, but super faint.

Overall, I definitely wouldn't complain if I ever got my hands on more, but I won't be stalking Ebay auctions. This has almost no throw on me and I like to knock people out with my BPAL.

I was lucky enough to snag an empty bottle a couple of years ago and ever since, I've been stockpiling and hoarding by dribs and drabs.

I adore Storyville. It's rich and deep and everything old world New Orleans, and it smells unbelievable on me. I think it's the Great Tragedy of BPAL that it will never be resurrected. :cry2:

red musky, baby powder, and incense. it's very sweet and gentle.

I'm wondering, based on reading other reviews, if this doesn't age super well, or gets softer with age, because I definitely get a resiny incense scent going on, but very soft and very gentle.

i spent way too much on this and honestly don't think i can justify keeping it

I was so, so generously frimped a full-size, one mL vial of this for the holidays from a Madness member (thank you, Alexis!). I cannot even begin to describe how good this blend is. It has its hype, of course, and for very good reason. Storyville is utterly delectable: a warm, rich, skin scent that whispers your deepest fantasy so you have to lean in closer and closer and closer. I pick up hints of cocoa, coffee, perhaps tobacco?, and the lightest touch of a sweet musk. Whatever this is made of is damn delicious. Though it's a bazillion dollars when it appears on market, I highly recommend getting your nose a whiff of this beauty.