Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Drink Me

... However, this bottle was not marked `poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it, and finding it very nice, (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,) she very soon finished it off.

I get a lot of maple, a rich buttery note and a bit of spiced pumpkin... below that there's a baked note, slightly along the lines of scorched sugar cookie, and below that something red and fruity.

Definitely an interesting blend, but the butter's reminding me strongly of Jack, and for that I'm going to say that while it works on me, it's not my cuppa.

There is a rice pudding at Floataway Cafe in Atlanta that is the best rice pudding in the world. The rice is cooked to perfection; the spices permeate it beautifully. This is the sort of dessert that one savors.

There is a bread pudding at another local restaurant that is the best bread pudding ever. It is so rich, with cinnamon and brown sugar and bourbon and the sweetness of cooked raisins.

One day, these puddings met. And they fell in love. And they had fabulous epic pudding-sex. It was the stuff legend is made of. And in their puddingy lovemaking, they dissolved into each other, their puddingy essence evaporating, leaving only pure elemental liquid.

And Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab gathered this liquid and put it in a bottle and labeled that bottle "Drink Me", and that is what I am wearing right now.

*curtseys*

Oh...divine!! It's a creamy, buttery, sweet, sugary, confectionary delight! It's like liquid toffee in a bottle, and actually reminds me a bit of butterscotch liquor. There is a fabulously sugary undertone, sort of like the cheesecake note in Beaver Moon. This is another fantabulous foody indulgence that I completely love. I **need** a big ol bottle! :P

This is such a crazy and yummy blend. At first there are a lot of weird combos coming out. Then as it dries it goes super sugary. This is actually a bpal oil that really does smell like marshmallows. It is like a big marshmallow with vanilla frosting all over it.

The really weird thing is that usually if there is vanilla, it goes completely weird and burning plastic on my skin. This never happened with this one.

You will get a cavity from this oil and love every moment of it.

Wow! This is arguably Beth's most complex blend to date, and definitely her most realistic foody. :P

In the imp it's gooey cherry bakewell tart, fresh from the oven, and buttered toast (real butter too, like what my grandmother used to make). On my skin, though, it's pineapple turnover cake, buttered, with a rich creamy custard and some almond slices sprinkled ontop. In the background, toffee is lingering, adding an extra level of gooiness to the blend.

As it dries down, it's mainly pineapple and buttered toast.

At first, I wasn't sure if this is something I'd like to wear as a perfume but the more I sit here sniffing it, the more I like it. It makes me hungry but it's also comforting, rich, and unusual. The staying power and throw are also phenomenal.

I think I need a 5ml of this, stat!

straight sniff from the bottle this is a big bunch of super ripe bananas :D

once applied it turns into a freshly baked piece of banana nut bread still warm from the oven with gobs of butter slowly melting on top...completely droolworthy!!!

after 30 minutes or so a heady vanilla nuttiness peeks through mixing with what seems to be the slightest cassia note...this is one of beth's finest creations to date!!

uber long lasting on me this is positively the most scrumdillyishus blend ... i can only imagine how wonderful this will be aged as well... :P

Wretched!

Yes, this is the one that had me

Rushing to wash it off.

Butter, toffee, pineapple?

HA! I say. You must be mad.

This is bitter almond to the end.

Drink Me takes The Cake

For fruity, foody vileness.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

I was really expecting to like Drink Me a lot since I love foody scents but I'm not sure about this one. I get a strange savory note from it, it may just be a nuttiness but sometimes I'm afraid it is turkey or mashed potatoes with gravy or even stuffing :D . Mostly it's just a rich, buttery custard with some vague fruit note, I can't tell if it's really cherry or pineapple. But that savory note, not sure about that.

ETA: I had to come back to mention how much fun this scent was for me. The description made me laugh when Beth first announced it and I so enjoyed the anticipation, reading all the reviews, until I finally got to try Drink Me. And it was so much fun finally getting to try it, sniffing for all the crazy notes (and they're all in there!). I love that Beth has the sense of humor and courage to attempt something like this, it's what BPAL is all about :P .

Edited by ChupaChup

This is lovely. It smells of a buttery tropical confection. It goes very sugary/sweet on my skin. GOREGOUS!

I get...a lot of butter. Very strong, savory butter. There's fruit in there too, and red fruit tends to kind of ferment on my skin - drowning it in butter does not help matters. Don't get me wrong - I like butter, and I like fruits. This does not mean I like buttered fruit.

I had to wash Drink Me off before too long, because much as I wanted to like it, it was very strong and kind of grossed me out.

In the bottle it's a kind of nauseating jumble of foody smells. On, the pineapple comes out along with a buttery-popcorn note, and a hit of cherry-flavored medicine.

It's not really my kind of thing, but i'll always imagine the potion tasting like this smells when I read alice.

Now let's just say that I happen to like foody blends, but this one is so obsurdly rich with the toffee, custard and butter notes that all the fruits one are hiding from my skin. They come up in wafts but are completely hidden by the others mentioned above. I wanted to love this one and may snuffle it upon occasion.

Drink Me - When I was 20 years old, I made my very first foray into season holiday candy-making. I decided I was going to make toffee. I had all of the ingredients cooking in pot on the stove, and I was stirring away with a spatula, watching the temperature on the candy thermometer rise. One of my roommates, peered into the pot and he said, "What's that white stuff?" Sure enough there was white stuff in it. I pulled out the spatula, and the plastic spatula had melted and was being swirled in with the toffee ingredients. THAT is what Drink Me smells like -- it smells like almost-toffee made of lots of sweet sugar, thick butter, and cooked plastic. In the vial, it just smells like pure yumminess, but as soon as it touches my skin, it takes on that awful burnt plastic scent that I often get from "foody" scents. It sticks very close to my skin but seems to la st for several hours. Sadly, due to the scent, it's not for me.

Rich and immensely comforting. The parallel it makes my mind want to draw is pineapple upside-down cake, with a cherry on top. It has the same rich, wet butteriness, with a pleasant burnt-sugar note where it stuck to the edge of the pan. I do get an odd, slightly savory note that other people have mentioned, but I find myself liking it. This scent is very, very thick and heavy.

The verdict? I bought a 5ml off the swaps, unsniffed, and I don't regret it one bit. As Houston is super hot and humid right now, I'm not getting a lot of daytime use out of it. I like to put it on around bedtime, as it's comforting. I think that when the weather finally turns, I'll wear it even more. 8/10.

Drink Me

Ah! Pineapple is what I've been smelling in Drink Me, but I couldn't think of what it was. Sadly, the fruit goes away in an instant, and I'm left with... custard? Very well done, but not the scent for me.

Hmm.. at first whiff this reminds me a lot of Underbed and Beaver Moon… not sure which note is making it seem like this though. It’s that dry bitter cocoa-type note… although I doubt there’s cocoa in this blend. Not quite what I expected… I was hoping for more of the fruits and sweetness. Instead I get the dry bitter foody scents that I tend to dislike.

Oh, this one's bizarre...

In the bottle: Butter. Definitely salty butter and car-scent cherry. Then there's cake under there somewhere, like cupcakes, pineapple, and then subtly, hiding behind everything sweet, there's something decidedly savory.

Wet: Doughnuts, filled with cherry pie filling. There's a bright fruit underneath, but not quite a true pineapple scent. Pineapple candy?

Drying: Turkey, I'm almost certain. Roasted, it seems, and slathered in a savory sauce, as well as the cherry/pineapple pie filling from before. There's a sweet-mustard sort of smell, too.

Dry (5 min.): The cherry has some serious tenacity! It hasn't given up its forefront position between bottle and skin yet. Then suddenly, the cherry's gone and it's a maple syrup sort of thing, and something that I want to say is butter pecan but isn't--I almost want to say it's pumpkin pie, light on the cinnamon?

Dry (30 min.): You're all going to hate me for this, but this smells almost exactly like I imagined Black Phoenix would from its description--with a bit less pumpkin pie. It's gorgeously foody, though there's something in it that makes me think of Gluttony. Unlike Gluttony, however, this one's...I don't want to say it's light, because it's not. It's just like eating the whole Thanksgiving meal, but it's not as "WOW, THAT'S FOOD!" as Gluttony. Also, the throw isn't so strong it makes me want to throw up.

Overall: 2/5 (pretty, and intriguing, but ultimately not a "wear it 'cause it smells pretty" kind of scent)

Drink Me is very very foody on me...fruit laden bread puuding perhaps? Jack meets Beaver Moon? Alas, it is just a little bit too something...sugary? Bakery sweet? I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just cannot see myself wearing this one. Ah well. You cannot win them all.

Drink me has the similar burnt buttery caramel smell that both Gluttony, Beaver Moon and Monsterbait:Underbed had on me. It just doesn't smell right :P I do get the whiff of pineapple at the beginning of the drydown that other people have mentioned, but it just doesn't work well on me.

It is slightly less offensive on my wrist though than MB:U and Gluttony! I may have to give it a second go, but I don't have high hopes as the BPAL caramel family (with the exception of Midway) just doesn't work for me.

Edited by Bagfish

Super rich buttered, salted sugary cake. Just so vile on me. Reminded me a lot of Midway. If buttery salty scents are your thing, you must try this, otherwise, I would give it a pass.

Drink Me was almost an exact dupe of Gluttony on me. It is just too rich, buttery and sickening sweet for me to wear as a perfume. But, as was the case with my imp of Gluttony, I'm sure it'll smell great in my oil burner!

at first: a sweet, bready, fruity scent.

on: this smells like a hot, buttery, fruity tart.

2.5 hours later: buttery bread with a bit of jam.

6.5 hours later: still a buttery, fruity, pie-like sort of scent.

overall: how delightfully odd! i'm really glad i got to try this, since it's a really crazy scent, but i can't really see myself wearing it.

In the Bottle: Hm, whoa. There's a lot going on here. Toffee, yes. Cake, or a crème filled doughnut, topped with canned pineapple.

On Application: Very strange. Pineapple upside down cake, with a little coconut. Slightly buttery, but not like butter rum. More like melted margarine, actually.

On Drydown: This smells exactly like I remember Underbed smelling on me. German chocolate cake. Buttery, cakey, with a little coconut.

Comments: Meh, I'm not impressed.

Verdict: This was just a sniffie. I won't be getting more.

In the Imp: Uh oh. Butter. I don't like to smell like butter. As a good BPALer, I feel that I have to give this a shot, though.

Wet: Burst of butter with an underlying deeper, starchy note and a cherry and pineapple top note - I'd say more pineapple than cherry. Picture standing at a table with a fruit covered cake sitting next to a great big bowl of butter-covered mashed potatoes. Interesting. I think I'll swap it out.

Dry: The mashed potatoes are gone, and it's all rich, buttery pineapple upside-down cake. For some reason, this buttery scent isn't just tolerable, it's gorgeous. This is terrific!

30 minutes later: I can't take my nose away from my wrist, and give in and slather more fragrance onto my wrists and neck. I need at least another imp, and maybe a bottle. :P

ETA: I figured out what else this smells like besides pineapple upside-down cake. It's creme brulee! Oh my, this is heaven.

Edited by terrierhead

Very buttery. Is there fruit in there? The Skin of Teh Doom has sucked it all up. Which isn't unpleasant, in this case, fo rI get a similar caramel/savoury butter note that I get from Gluttony, but sans coffee/chocolate. Yum!