Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Drink Me

… However, this bottle was not marked `poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it, and finding it very nice, (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,) she very soon finished it off.

This is the damned strangest thing I have ever put on my wrists.

The initial hit is a wallop of treacle, and then it turns to pineapple and pastry, with more treacle. I guess I can smell a bit of spicy cherry-ness if I think about it.

Drink Me is way sweeter than I can usually tolerate, but I have to admit I find it intriguing and, on some level, very appealing.

I'm not smelling any turkey... at least not yet. B)

ETA: No turkey ever emerged. Just sweet pineapple pastry forever. This scent grew on me, and when I eventually washed it off, I missed it! A surprising success.

This is a review of an aged bottle.

In the bottle: It smells almost like caramel corn. Or buttered toast and toffee, I suppose, but it really makes me think of caramel popcorn.

On skin, wet: VERY buttery caramel corn.

On skin, dry: The buttery note is at the forefront, the sweetness of the caramel/toffee has become more of a background.

After an hour: Something almost spicy peeks out, and the sweetness has really died down. Buttery and warm, with a hint of spice.

This had been on my list of scents to try forever. In the imp this was like a mix of cherry and buttered popcorn jelly bellys. It's definitely foody, but not just straight fruity or cakey...it has a savoury edge to it.

It's similar on my skin-cherry pastry I think is the strongest in this blend. I don't specifically notice the turkey, but I imagine this gives the blend its slightly salty/savoury feel. It's fun and quite strong. A little goes a long way. It doesn't feel like an everyday kind of scent to me because it is so foody (and it is so rare to hear ME say that-maybe it's that buttered popcorn-y scent in there), but it's an enjoyable scent for foody fans. I don't specifically notice the custard, pineapple and toffee, but I think that's what contributes to the sweet cakey fruity pastryness, and the buttered toast definitely gives me the buttered popcorn jelly belly scent.

Overall, this is a fun blend I am glad I got a chance to sniff, but I wouldn't need a bottle of it.

Drink Me starts off as a yummy nutty buttery popcorn like scent, almost like a lighter Tanuki no Kanban. Then it quickly morphs into plasticky cherry, then something odd and off-puttingly "meaty" that has to be the turkey. Ugh. :ack:

Eat Me is a Top Five for me, so I needed to try the companion scent. Turkey? Buttered Toast? I love the smell of both, but I don't want to smell like turkey. Oh no! Too interesting that I gotta try it immediately.

Wet - buttery pastries straight outta the gate. It's like baking shortbread or oil pie crust. It gets a bit caramelly on the skin, still really buttery, but a lot sweeter.

Drydown - caramel/toffee! I had a memory of MB: Underpants and MB: Closet with the cake notes. This gets sweet and strong caramel toffee with a small whiff of floury good underneath. Becoming a perfect companion to the creamy berry tart of Eat Me with wear is heavenly.

Dry - Delicious. Just pure deliciousness. I can definitely smell a bit of a caramel popcorn scent or toffee cookies. I need to layer this with Eat Me to get all the goodness in one. The best sweet, sugary BPAL I have tried yet.

In the Imp (ITI): Ooh, that clearly is melting butter on warm toast. I really wasn't expecting that. I get warm hints of turkey and gooey toffee when I sniff for a second time. It's like Thanksgiving in a bottle.

Wet: Lots of butter, sweet cherry tart fresh from the oven, and vary faint toffee mired in custard. Again, this scent is so bizarre that it is interesting.

Dry: Buttered toffee and bread, like a yeast, floury bread, mingle together in an awkward concoction makes me twitch.

Source: Fresh Lab imp

In the imp: Tart cherries and... gravy?

Wet: The cherry Luden's note whooshes to the top over a thrumming gravy boat.

Drydown: The cherry is subsiding and I'm starting to get the aroma of one of those tv dinners with the turkey and stuffing. Hmm.

Dry: Slightly buttery stuffing drizzled with gravy.

Overall: I'm suddenly wishing for Thanksgiving. I'm not a foodie, but my curiosity has been assuaged. To date, this is the strangest BPAL I have tried.

Just got an imp from this in my first delivery ever, and I'm so excited to try this! Ever since Gluttony caught my eye I've been dying to try a foodie scent (unfortunately, it was discontinued before I had the chance to order). Let's see how this one turns out!

Imp: Buttered toast. Odd.

On wet: I still get the toast and something a little sweet under it - probably the cherry - and something that smells suspiciously like BO. Oh dear...

Dry: There's something sweet about this that I like, but still something salty under it that just ruins the smell for me. It really reminds me of an arts-and-crafts store, and not in a good way. I can't help being disappointed, but maybe there's another foodie scent that will turn out better on me -- I'll keep an eye out.

In the imp: Buttered Rum or Butterscotch. Mmmm.

Wet: Holy hell, buttered toast. Seriously, buttered toast in a bottle.

Dry down: Buttered toast morphing slowly into buttered popcorn

Dry: I don't actually smell any meat, but this has changed to an unpleasant sort of toasted...thing. The butter is mostly gone, I believe.

I had no idea what to expect with Drink Me, so I just had to try it out. I'm glad I got to, but seriously. Such an odd experience.

Wet on skin this is very sweet and food-y, I like it!

During dry down all I can think of when I sniff my wrist is burnt kettle corn. Like burnt popcorn but with a sweetness behind it.

After a couple of hours, the "burnt" part is mostly gone and this is pleasantly sweet.

Final remarks: I like this and am glad to have an imp, but that burnt smell puts me off from getting a bottle.

I rated it a 3 out of 5. It would have been a 4 if not for that burnt smell. It's very sugary sweet which is what keeps it from being a 5.

"Drink Me" smells like my mom's pineapple upside down cake- canned pineapple and maraschino cherries topping a sweet cake covered with a super thick syrupy glaze. Not my favorite dessert, and not my favorite scent, but tasty in its own way.

Buttered popcorn and fruit.

Drink Me smells like a handful of Jelly Bellys, buttered popcorn and cherry and pineapple all mixed together, and is vaguely reminiscent of a cupcake-scented candle after about 20 minutes of wear. It’s a little too foody for me as perfume, but it smells just like I always expected Alice’s potion would taste.

To my nose: Wow. First sniff and I smell buttered toast and turkey. Second sniff is all pineapple with an aftertaste of almond cherries.

On: This smells soooo weird! Toffee and toast in a blender with fresh pineapple juice and cherries. I think I smell the turkey too, like toffee-glazed meat. And...No. God No. I can't be sure but I think the buttered toast, toffee-glazed turkey and custard mixed together is making my tummy turn. fear.gif

It's a bit of a shame because the pineapple in Drink Me is so sweet and juicy, it's like the real deal!

Oh, and to make things worse the custard is very vanilla-y and buttery. And now I smell popcorn all of a sudden. Caramelized popcorns. Now, don't get me wrong because I LOVE popcorn, but they should only be buttered and salted, never ever sweetend. Now take all of the ingredients that I just listed, from the toast to the popcorn, throw it all down the blender and mix it to a gloopy greenish gray soup - dump it over your arm. That is how this makes me feel and I can't take it any more! Need to wash this off pronto! 00000012.gifmecry.gif

In the Imp: Creamy pineapple. But it's kind of off somehow.

Wet: Pineapple. And....custard? Maybe a hint of the buttered toast? It's kind of odd, but pleasant enough.

Drydown: Still smelling pineapple, but the custard has turned. It's got a tart, slightly sour edge that I normally attribute to homemade yogurt.

Verdict: This is alright, but I don't think I'll wear this much, if ever. I don't particularly like the sour homemade yogurt smell, and I definitely don't want other people to think that's what I smell like.

2.5/5

In the imp it's butterturkeypineapplecustardwithcherriesontop. Smoosh all those notes into one ever-changing foodie morph and that's what I get. Wet, I can definitely see the comparison to popcorn jelly bellies which to me have always smelled and tasted too sweet to be true buttered popcorn. This is more kettle corn. But there's also the pastry note I know from many blends that hit my nose first before it goes to popcorn. It sweetens up pretty nicely and loses a lot of the popcorn-iness and there's a lovely cherry jam note creeping in. It ends up being a buttery pastry that I think will be amazing with Eat Me.

At the start, this is the indistinguishable foody-ness that a lot of other reviewers got on me. I can smell the buttered toast (and I'm still amazed that this is a scent you can recreate in perfume-form), but I can't tell anything else apart. It's warm and delicious and I thought I'd love this...

And then the dry down happened.

I'm not sure what note is doing that, but this turned bitter on me, almost like the way Hungry Ghost Moon did. It almost smells like an almond note, but not a natural almond -- it's a strangely chemical almond that is how I imagine cyanide would smell like. Which is amusing, given the context here. It's not QUITE as unpleasant as Hungry Ghost Moon, but it still bothers me. Given how much I love another foody scent in the same collection (Eat Me) and how well that one worked on me, I think I'll just stick with that instead.

SCORE: 4/10

I can't believe this is the first time I'm opening an imp of this. I know I've had quite a few over the years but oh boy, I would have remembered this one.

What is that, is that...turkey? :o How'd dey fit a whole turkey in durr? I don't know, but I'm getting a whiff of buttery cherry turkey and I don't know if I'm intrigued or if that's just my stomach churning. :huh:

Seriously though, how has no one else smelled turkey in theirs??? Anyway...

On me, this smells better. However, I'm not convinced. Cherry tart? Custard? Toffee? Should be a total yummy and delicious win for me. But lurking silently in the background is a crazed, stinky, undead turkey, and it makes the whole scent go wonky.

My mental picture of this is a bunch of toppled cherry tarts and broken dishes all over the floor with a crazed, zombie turkey hovering over them and staring at me hissing SMELL MEEEEEE.

Thanks for having such a strong nose, self. Not. :smite:

So, in the end as this dries, I like this. The turkey trotted away and I'm left with a nice buttery cherry tart. I could do without the butter/custard though, it just makes it kind of stale/sour on me. So it's nice, but I don't need a bottle. What a scent journey that one was.

Edited by MiasmaResonance

Let's see if I can get this right, since there are no notes listed to help me pick out individual scents here :o

There is something in this akin to Bread-and-Butterfly. Probably the buttery note, but in this it's much lighter than in Bread-and-Butterfly. There is also a faintly burnt smell, but not in an uncomfortable way.

It's definitely sweet and very foody, but in a non-cakey way.

I didn't think I would like something this foody, but on me it's actually fairly pleasant. Not bottle material for me, but I might just hold on to my imp for those days when I want something a little nontraditional. :smile:

Recent frimp from the Lab. I'd been interested in trying its counterpart, but the idea of anything based on the ever-changing contents of Alice's little bottle made me a trifle leery. Seriously, who wants to smell of roast turkey? And combined with everything else going into this, it's just a tiny bit disturbing to think on.

In the imp: okay, no turkey. Caramel-toffee sort of thing, a little bit of an eggy-custard smell making it sort-of flan-like. Very, very, very caramel, with the slightly burnt edge of it being made fresh. Light buttery undertones, maybe toast, maybe popcorn. It's like warm, fresh caramel corn in a way; very intensely sweet. Cavity-inducingly sweet, in fact. I like sweet, foody scents, and it's definitely that in an almost overpowering way.

In contrast, once it's on my skin, it just sort of mellows down to a light, caramel and custard-like scent on my skin, just a soft sweetness that just sort of gives it that "skin musk plus" quality. Not offensive, not overpowering, nothing really of overt note. I'll keep the imp, but it's not something I'd order, due to its relative simplicity once it settles on my skin.

In the imp: Exactly as described by the lab. A very strange smell, like you're at a potluck & everyone's brought something that would be delicious on it's own, but you really shouldn't try eating them all together.

Wet on skin: Same, except that the pineapple & custard are standing out most. I'm not a fan of pineapple or custard, so while I think this could smell delicious to someone else, to me it just... doesn't.

Dry on skin: Eeewww, the pineapple is all over everything. Yuck! It lives up well to the description & I can pick out all the different foods quite easily once I get past the pineapple, I just can't see myself ever wanting to smell like this! It's got quite a bit of throw too, so I'm not really enjoying this, but I'll give it some time to redeem itself.

After a few hours: Gross. Mostly pineapple & custard, with some roasted meats in the background. The smell is fairly accurate to the description, so if you're a fan of those foods, you'd probably like it. For me though? Yuk.

Verdict: To the swap pile with you!

In the vial: Buttered toast and toffee, with a hint of crust. Tart or toast crust, I'm not sure.

On the skin: Okay, there's a whiff of pineapple, and I'm getting a bit of 'roast turkey', which is confusing my brain. On the dry down, it's all buttered toffee and pie crust. Certainly a foodie blend. Weird, to say the least, but quite inventive.

My nose and scent preference disclaimer: I have three distinct camps of scents that I love: baked goods, earthy spices, and woods/forests. My favorite scents are currently Captain Lilith and her First Mate and Eat Me for the foody category, Morocco and Scherezade for the spices, and Druid and Isle of Demons for my woodsies. Notes I dislike are vetiver, civet, leather, all of the peppers, most florals, sometimes tobacco, "wood" scents like rosewood and sandalwood because I amp them so so much and kitchen spices like sage (and by extension, frankincense because woah I get sage from that).

In the bottle: Butterscotch! This is probably the toffee and tart dominating everything

Applied wet to the inside of my wrists: Butter butter butter. It smells like popcorn butter (not popcorn, just the oily butter you put on it which might sound like a dis but I really groove it). There's an earthy quality to it that slays the sweetness you might expect. I'm praising the pineapple for this. I don't get the cherries at all, but the butterscotch still reigns. I'd call this scent buttery pineapple danish.

After 30 minutes dry down: This is a savory foody scent. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than it smells like perfumed butter. It's not a bad smell at all and it reminds me of the kitchen.

Verdict: I bought a bottle untested from NYCC but I don't care for it by itself. When layered with Dorian or one of the indonesian spice heavy oils I have, this puts me in my happy place. This isn't something I'd wear all the time but it's a foodie scent for people that don't care for cake and sugar.

I get the custard and toffee and all the other yummy stuff, but with an undercurrent of turkey cold cuts :( so sad!

This is my daughter's beloved scent. And the imp we're using lately, which was an aged one from a forumite that was frimped to me/her (thanks so much), wants to spit on me every time. So, I guess I should do a review. Word of warning: I have a hard time with pineapple.

This scent is SUPER strong on me. It's much more mellow on her, though. She starts off with a mix of pineapple and cherry. It goes nauseating pineapple and burnt brown sugar on me first, with a backdrop of the creamy custard. I don't know how it morphs on her since she's usually at school when she wears this. My morph becomes a custard and bread, with a faint meat background which makes me nostalgic for one of my favorite discontinued blends. By the time it's done, I'm left with a weak milky scent. She ends up with baby powder (whereupon it's bedtime anyway and she's taking a shower to get it off).

Yeah, this has a long lifespan on both of us. I only really like one phase, but have a super hard time with the other two phases to make it worth keeping for myself. But, this is my girl's comfort scent. She loves it and cries whenever she sees it out of stock.