Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sarah

Drink Me

… However, this bottle was not marked `poison,' so Alice ventured to taste it, and finding it very nice, (it had, in fact, a sort of mixed flavour of cherry-tart, custard, pine-apple, roast turkey, toffee, and hot buttered toast,) she very soon finished it off.

Imp: Buttery toffee and pineapple.

Wet: Oh, ick. It reminds me of a poisonously sweet vanilla coffee-type drink an old coworker used to buy. There is a scent here that is definitely reminiscent of empty coffee cups--a scent I am not at all fond of. Also: Very highly amped toffee/caramel. Yikes.

Dry: This be here the personal pineapple upside-down cake of Beezelbub himself. A foody, sweet, sickly sort of scent that is making me feel a little nauseous the longer I sniff it. Very cloying, sweet and heavy on my chemistry. I think there is a cream accord here that is making it even sweeter and denser and it is not fairing well on my chemistry.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I know that foody scents don't tend to work on me and luckily I rarely have the desire to wear one. This is not working for me but I'm really not that sad about it. It's not as dense and sweet as Gluttony but it is definitely one of the densest and sweetest scents I've encountered in the GC.

Wet, this is kind of a pineapple/turkey blend. As it dries, it smells only slightly of turkey, and sweet apple cider. It really is much too foody for me, but very evocative of a thanksgiving dinner cooking with apple cider brewing in the background.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite Mad Tea Party scent, but this one is definitely at the top of the list. One of the first BPALs I tried, this one still reminds me of really high quality cinnamon powdered sugar doughnut with toasted hazelnuts. It's warm and sweet and buttery and one of the few foody scents that I can wear.

The first time I tried this a couple weeks ago, I smelled of roasted toffee turkey. I was a little repulsed and intrigued. Figured I'd try again to see if anything changed.. it did. Less turkey this time (whew~!~)

Same from imp to drydown, this strange one is sweet, dried fruit, caramel and butter on me. There's a roasty meatiness still hanging around however it's not notably turkey-ish anymore, just juicy and fleshy like a heavy meal. Weeeiirrrdd! A keeper still.

ACK. PEE. PEE. IT SMELLS LIKE PEE. :( That's all I can smell. Iiiick. I wanted to like this, but it does not like my chemistry at ALL.

It's a dead ringer for caramel popcorn. I would love some popcorn right now, but I do NOT want to smell like it.

IMP: I'm instantly reminded of custard and pineapple, without reading the description :P

On skin: Hmm there's "pastry" in there. Kinda like a pineapple custard tart I suppose.

Dry down: Wow cherry really comes through here. It's giving me a headache-- I'm not a fan of cherry :( I was hoping it'd just be faint, but it gets to the "medicinal" stage on me. That's a shame as I really liked how it smelt to begin with.

---

After note: After a few more tries I'm giving up on this scent. I was really hoping and wanting this one to work for me :( Ah well... it's reluctantly off to a cherry-lovin' friend!

In the bottle - Popcorn, turkey, some caramel and this odd... astringent scent that I can't place. It's very odd.

Wet - Is that cherry? Huh.

Drying - Okay, I don't think I like this too much. That bizarre smell sitting right in front is fading a little to leave me with a rancid cream with popcorn and turkey. Uh....

Dry (3 hours) - It's not as bad as I had feared. It's actually rather nice! Turkey with some cream pie and cherries. A full meal all at once.

Overall - Not for me, but it's not as bad as other people have said. It's very foody.

Wet--vanilla cake batter, butterscotch and pineapple.

Skin--caramel popcorn. fake vanilla/hazelnut coffee creamer.

Dry--still smelling like popcorn.

I had high hopes it would smell interesting. I had to "temper" this a little with Grand Guignol (another frimp I received with Drink Me from the Lab). It was too buttery/vanilla cake sweet on me, I almost threw up. I'm going to wash this off. Where's a barf emoticon?

In the imp- sharp, ripe, fresh pineapple sweetness, rich custard with creamy butter, and a little tartness from the currants

Wet- Like a mild Cockaigne, with a touch of pineapple

Dry- Same. The rich spices have calmed down some tho. It is like a pineapple upside down cake that has just cooled. A very foody scent, but still very wearable. I don't know if I will buy a bottle of this one, but I may collect a cpl imps!

I was interested in trying this out and received a frimp and got my chance.

In the bottle it smells very foody, lush and decadent, I got an almost amaretto feel, with some baked goods thrown in. So lovely smelling, truly.

On skin: I get a hint of berries and then I get a lot of pineapple, then things take a weird turn and all I can smell is roast turkey, maybe with a hint of some side dishes, maybe some sweet pineapple cake, but the turkey is most certainly the main course here for me!

Verdict: I had to wash it off as I don't want to smell like roasted turkey, I have a feeling this one would be beautiful on someone else, depending on their skin chemistry(i.e. doesn't amp roasted meat!).

In the imp: Smells buttery! Not sure how I'm gonna like this one. :unsure:

Wet on my skin: Buttered toast - but a bit nicer. This scent doesn't make me gag like the smell of real toast. Cherry and pineapple as well! Smells like a lovely pastry.

Dry down: Toast, still, faint lingering pineapple and.....turkey :blink: The turkey note blew my mind. I couldn't believe it.

The cherry has disappeared and I am catching a whiff of something vanilla. Is it the custard? And a whiff of cinnamon. Combined, this smells like burnt rubber. x_x

Overall impression: Beth's ability to create such a scent is very impressive. It makes a great novelty scent but this isn't something I'd wear.

Thanks for the unique scent experience, Beth!

This was a frimp from the lab with my last order.

In the imp: butter, caramel, custard, and a sharp cherry note that burns the nose.

Wet: butter, caramel, custard, cherry and a brief, very distinct whiff of pineapple.

Dry down: The cherry note goes sharp and plastic, and the blend develops an unpleasant, dense heaviness that is vaguely cloying and nauseating. I never got an actual meat note, but it was suggestive enough of meat that it kind of grossed me out. I had to wash this one off, pronto.

In imp: Wow, very odd. buttered toast, caramel, and something that could very well be the turkey!

Wet: A tiny bit of pineapple is peeking out now, but that weird buttered toast note is still there. Hmm, not as appetizing as I might have hoped.

Dry: More cherry and less butter, but the combination of foods is still just a little too odd for my nose. 3/5.

In The Bottle

Caramel and vanilla

On Application

Wow, I get buttery toast and custard!!

Dry Down

This is incredible. The buttery toast and custard morphs to fruit (pineapple definitely), custartd, toffee. Love it. It ends on pure, thich, rich and vevety vanilla custard. Yum

Rating (0-5)

My imp's all pineapple, cherry and toffee right off the bat, with the pineapple dominating. Wet, the cherries take the front seat and the toffee is still palpable. I have no idea where the pineapple yet, though. This one makes me mouth water. As it's drying, a custard note comes out more and accompanies the cherries. If I think about it hard enough. I can catch a whiff of toast, but it's incredibly brief. This is way better than I expected!

Drink Me:

Toffee? Buttered toast? Turkey and gravy? Gah, this scent is driving me NUTS. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what it smells like/reminds me of. All I know is that I adore it muchly. Big bottle here!

5/5

The scent of the blend and wet on my skin is almost indescribable. It goes through many stages and all of them are quite strange. I get a feeling of bread one moment and some kind of unidentifiable fruit the next.

BUT - I do know that what it dries down to smells a lot like an oatmeal cookie with a bit of brown sugar.

I love how off the wall this scent is.

In the bottle: a veritable feast! I can smell buttered toast most strongly, with a bit of cherry-pineapple in the background. also, incongruous though it is, there's also hints of a dry turkey (like the kind of turkey I'd put on turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving). the buttered toast and what reminds me of vanilla is so rich and overpowering though, most of the rest doesn't really show up.

On my skin: again, it's all about the buttered toast, though it's less drowned in butter than it smells in the bottle (and for that I'm grateful). it's also a little spicy, like cinnamon toast perhaps, and the turkey comes through more strongly. the artificial cherry-pineapple sweetness only shows up for the first couple of seconds and then mostly goes away.

Last thoughts: things I don't want to smell like - large and rich feasts of too much food. it smells like gluttony and overindulgence. if you're a fan of very strongly food-like scents, you'll probably love this one. it's just not for me.

Imp: Sweet, caramel-covered grains

Wet: Still sweet, loads of caramel and bakery notes. There's a musk and/or sandalwood coming out to make it wearable. A little incensey?

Dry: Completely wearable, and I'm not really one for bakery scents on me. I was worried there would be amber in the blend, and it seems there's not as there's no powdery scent coming through. I would describe it as caramel, vanilla and sandalwood on drydown. Similar to Monsterbait: Underpants and HAEE's Voodoo Punani with the sweetened vanilla and sandalwood vibe. I don't know what's bringing the smoky incense underneath, but I LOVE it.

4.5/5 - Love all stages and it works exceptionally well on me, despite not liking bakery scents. Highly recommend it.

In Imp: Buttery, but with a chemical undertone. Like someone spilled perfume in movie theater topping.

Wet: Bakery! Smells like good things to eat, bread and pastries.

Dry: Ack - what happened? Dark, chemical undertones that smell...wrong, the way fruit that's turned does. I don't like it at all and it's giving me a headache :(

Drydown: More tolerable, the smell I disliked is much lighter now and more reminiscent of the initial bakery smell of wet. Still strikes my scent palate as not for me, but an interesting experiment.

This one took me on a cray-zee ride!

Imp: First, there is buttery vanilla. Delicious! Oh, oh! Toast! Toasted wholewheat bread with melting butter, yum! Oh, lookee, there is the pineapple and the sugary creamy custard pie. Maybe some cherry.

Wet: Now it's mainly pineapple with buttery bread.

Dry: After a while, there is something.. tangy, sharp and smokey.. like.. burned bacon or really, well, overroasted turkey. Smells a bit.. rotten. Like.. burning flesh without the sick sweetness. Old animal grease? Yeah, like blubber. Yuck. But I can still detect the creamy butter which is delicious on the toast. A nice natural fresh pineapple, too. Hmmm. That was one interesting journey and actually the most fun scent to smell & guess so far. But.. not so much for wearing, sorry. :(

Very creamy and sweet when wet.

As this dries I smell fruit, I think its pineapple? A Vanillary-ness comes out too mixes with a pastry scent. It seems to come out in different layers as it dries and lasts VERY well.

Imp: Juicy, cherry like and coconutty.

Wet on skin: Sweet coconutty macaroon syrup

Drydown: Hmm.. it's like above but warmed up into baked goods. Wow. Plus maybe some honeyed milk. YUM.

Dry: Hmm I do smell the pineapple people have mentioned. It's like those asian pineapple cookie/biscuits, the ones with the pineapple jam inside. But in a bottle.

Verdict: Oh wow this is seriously yummy. This is one of those foody scents I can can actually see myself wear. Maybe in winter though. I think if I finish my imp, I'd get a bottle easily.