Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Gamaliel

Gamaliel

The Obscene Ones.

Idleness and unconscious, uncontrolled, perverse sexual desire.

Governed by Lilith Nocturna, the Onokentauros, Mother of Demons, First Wife of Adam.

Gamaliel גאמאליאל

In the bottl: Sweet and spicy.

Visual: It's another reddish amber coloured oil.

On the skin: Musky and sweet. There's a scent of dust underneath, like the dust in Misk U but the scent is nothing like Misk U. Very dry and sharp wood spices like the sap of a tree. I kind of like it.

Sweet and slightly woody -- a touch of something like lemon verbena at first.

The Qliphoth I've tried so far all seem to be slightly sweet and fruity in some stage. This is much lighter than I expected for something that rules over perverse sexual desire. :P

There's definitely a dusty/musty scent underneath. A pale, dusty golden wood.

Since I'm testing oils for fragrance right now I can't reflect on its other properties but I can imagine using this to try to control those uncontrolled desires and channeling them into something constructive.

This smells like strong lemon tea on top of something that reminds me of Seance--rosewood? Rose leaf? I'm not sure.

It's a sharp herbal blend with a very pleasant, creamy sweetness to it.

Something sharp pokes out of this. Lemon? Lemongrass? Not a soft lemon anyway. Beneath there is a hint of dust, and some sort of depth. A musk? A sandalwood? Something, anyway, supporting the sweet and sharp top notes. All together not my favorite Qliphoth. The pointyness is offputting to me and something pleases me not. I can't put my finger exactly on what. Anyway, I'll call this a 3 out of 5 for wearability.

Oh, I am so idle... and full of idleness.

In the imp - reddish orange amber, slightly less viscous compared to A'arab Zaraq. In the vial, it smells like having a bit of olive leaf in it, perhaps akin to Alecto. There's also elements of Tzadikim Nistarim, in that there's something sweetly banana-esque which I believe is spikenard. Whoa! On skin, hi lemongrass. Lemon and olive leaf, and oh no... this isn't working on me. It's a very angry lemongrass.

It dries down as all lemongrasses do on me - lemon herbal bleh.

This started out a bit medicinal at first, but quickly warmed up. There's a berry-like fruity-ness and a touch of some creamy note in the background as well. There's also a bit of earthiness. This isn't something I'd normally go for, but I do like it quite a bit.

What a strange scent. There is definitely something woody in here, something slightly lemony. I think I smell ceder and lemon-cream. It's an appealing scent on me- clean and studious. There is also a hint of powder, and want to say a wee, wee bit of jasmine, but I could be wrong on that. I feel like I have smelled this before, and I don't know why. I am trying to dig through scent memories to find it.

Despite the woods, I think this will be a good scent for summer. The lemon makes it very bright and refreshing! I want to lick my wrist right now.

The lemon note really reminds me of Lush's Lemony Flutter cream. :P

As this sits on me the lemon becomes a bit less creamy and a bit more brash. I am getting decent throw from this, which on my skin is a miracle.

I think I really like this. I am falling short of love, but it's nice!

In Bottle: Incense and pickles

On Skin: Yum!! It’s the beautiful sexy note I get from Voodoo Queen, Venom, Dior Poison and others… starts out like pickles then turns spicy and slightly incensey… Actually, the incense in Gamaliel is pretty intense, it’s quite nice. The scent then changes… Musk and a beautiful velvety base… I also smell something slightly lemony. Hmm… a light note of lemon tea. And I also get something sweet in there… slightly creamy. This is very nice, I’d wear this again for sure.

Gamaliel

In the imp: spicy! I think I can smell frankincense and pepper in here, and maybe something like cardamom or saffron? This is a very warm scent.

Wet on skin: this is lovely-spiced sandalwood with a hint of incense!

Dry on skin: now, something lemony pops up! So now, this scent is spicy, woody and lemony. I think it might be lemon balm, which I adore. It may also be lemongrass or verbena. Underneath it, I smell some sandalwood, and I also smell something spicy and incense-y, maybe some pepper or cardamom, and frankincense. I also get something sweet and sugary sweetening the lemon tang of this scent, and a hint of something smooth and creamy.

After a while: not long after that, the scent changes. No longer little random bits of different notes, this is now a very smooth, rounded scent. I get sharp yet sugary lemon balm/lemongrass on top, with a smooth, woody, smoky musk underneath. Its like sandalwood incense smoke with a spicy creamy musk and with a lemon tang. It's both light and zingy and also shadowy and mysterious.

After about 2-3 hours, I get a mossy scent-there's oak moss in here. That, along with a sweet musky wood scent with lemon. I think there's a bit of amber or benzoin in here now.

The drydown at the end is moss, a dark woody note, something smoky, and a light musk, and hints of lemon balm and amber, maybe some cardamom too. I think I can also smell a bit of patchouli, and maybe some vetiver.

Verdict: this is a very unique scent! it's a mixture of woody, spicy, earthy and lemony, with musk and resins chucked in for good measure. The scent is at first a spicy incense, crackling with warm notes, and then it settles into a pleasant woody musk with smoke and incense and also some lemon balm adding a nice sharpness to the scent. over time, the scent smoothes out and a mossy note appears, as well as some earthy notes, probably patchouli, and a hint of something sweet and resinous, like amber. I really like this scent-it's warm and deep and very different, and I think this would be lovely for autumn. I don't need a bottle yet but maybe I will get one some day-I'm keeping the decant for now.

Emoticon rating: :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the imp: Spicy and incensey.

Wet: Very faint. Incense and lemon. Or maybe tea, which always smells very lemon-like on my skin.

Dry: It gets stronger and heavier as it dries. With all the incense and dustiness, it smells similar to Midnight Mass.

Gamaliel smells like spicy woods in the bottle and morphs into a light herbal tea with lemon as soon as it hits my skin. After a half hour or so, this smells exactly like LUSH's Avobath ballistic. I'm not getting any of the other notes that other reviewers have mentioned... it's just a very strong lemongrass on me.

Gamaliel

Smells like sandalwood even before I open it. Hmmm...

In the bottle: Woody, fruity, a hint of turpentine and rot. :P

On me/wet: Definitely a wood, but is it sandalwood or a milder cousin? Lemon or lemon verbena, yup. Heady!

Drydown: This one's getting all spicy! Gah, what is that smell??? It's on the tip of my tongue...not quite cinnamon, myrrh? Frankincense? A bit of clove? It's got a hint of candy sweetness that cuts the resins. And that's not sandalwood I smelled, because it didn't amp to hell. Maybe rosewood? :D

This one was really nice - far better than I had expected upon initial application. It doesn't have particularly strong staying power on me, but is a really unique scent. :D

Gamaliel started out kind of tart on me, with a dill-like note. :P But that quickly changed as it transitioned into a fruity/floral take on Perversion. I love me some Perv, so this was a good thing. It's pretty and sultry at once, and would be great later on in the year when the temperature starts to drop.

This is warm and spicy and sweetly resinous. I don't know what the spices are that I am smelling, but there is a very golden incense smell to this, and a rich wood note. It's definitely not a dry wood like sandalwood, but warm and polished.

Oi... this one didn't like me at all. On me it smelled like a hybrid of unsweetened lemon iced tea and Ricola candy with lemon, with a generous helping of cinnamon on top. It also stuck around for a long time and stubbornly refused to come off even after washing my arm multiple times.

This one is definitely not for me. Oh well, can't like all the evil oils...

at first: very earthy and warm.

on: coconut and sweet patchouli, with some sweet berries.

2.5 hours later: sweet and fruity, with a bit of green earthiness.

5 hours later: very soft. vaguely fruity.

overall: this is just ok on me.

Gamaliel - This scent is full of light woods (but I can't for the life of me determine which wood). It's simultaneously dusty, earthy and spicy. I don't get any of the lemon scent that other reviewers detect. The scent lasts for about 2-3 hours on me, which is average, and has very light throw. I'm not very impressed by this one and will be swapping it off.

wet: ooh. this one is juicy & sweet smelling. like citrus, berry & white musk. love it so far, and i just put it on!

dry: it's really nice. there is a refreshing, juicy quality to it, and a slight creamy backdrop. It's along the lines of Dorian or F5, but more fruity.

a much belated review of my lovely.

musky and a bit fruity in the bottle, at first i didn't notice what it was other than instant love.

then BOOM! lemon sitting on some kind of wood. but it's not TOO LEMON, just enough to make it lovely. this oil also lasts a very long time on me, though it does fade a little.

i get no berry from it, just a light musk and some lemon/wood. very simple and lovely.

this is my favorite oil and first i might add (so far) and i just happened to buy this simply on the description from the site. i cannot BELIEVE how much i turned out liking it.

hmmm, well, this smelled like leather rubbed with a lemon oil when first applied, and then it developed an incense character. Rather a ubiquitious incense hippie scent in the middle stage. At the end is a soft incense amber.

Not a real standout.

At first Gamaliel seemed to be orange oil, but then dried to dill, wood, and maybe patchouli. It had never occured to me that uncontrolled lust would smell so sweet/sour.

In the bottle:

Hard to describe, but possibly because I don't have a list of notes :P I smell citrus, dust/musk, some pine. Almost smells vaguely masculine.

Wet:

Sweet unpleasantly sweet lemon, like limoncello. Musk/incense in the background.

Dry down:

Sweet lemon and dust. It's not as unpleasantly sweet as when it was wet, but it's still not high on my list of favorite notes. I think I'm smelling some amber as well... actually, yes, I feel like this is predominantly amber/lemon/musk-incense. The latter is what keeps it bearable. Thankfully, the sickly sweet lemon is backing off more and more the longer I wear it.

Final thoughts:

After dry down, it's okay. Not sure whether it's a keeper. It is different from anything else I have right now, and it gets better as I wear it, but I have a feeling that I'll pass it on some day. Though... it's actually very much a lemony amber version of Al-Shairan, with the lemony amber instead of cinnamon - the note backs away slowly and lets its place be filled with musk/incense... and I reserved my judgment on Al-Shairan at first, but came to realize that I actually liked it pretty well.

This is sweet, cool, a little spicy on first application. There's wood, which is nice, and agh! A musk-like note that is going wrong on me. Not enough to make this repellent, but it's making the blend go all weird on me. The other notes are lovely--this could be a mildly-medicinal, sweet woods blend. Except for whatever this odd note is. *sigh*

First sniff: This feels like a combination of berries and citrus. It’s definitely sweet-fruity, but there’s a sharp edge to it.

Wearing: And on my skin it EXPLODES into coconut. Very much yum.