Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Samael

Samael

The Poison of God.

Lies, falsehood, dishonesty, glib tongues, over-rationalization, skepticism, cynicism, denial of faith.

Governed by Adramelech, The Hypocrite, Chancellor of Hell, Master of Satan’s Wardrobe.

Samael סאמאל

In the bottle: Oh, very pretty in the bottle. Light and floral with a hint of spice.

Visual: The colour is light though, a pale amber so I'm leery of the impending soapy.

On the skin: It smells like orange glow which is this orange scented hand cleaner we used to have behind the counter at the hardware store. Not unpleasant, but not something to wear at all. It predictably goes much more soapy on me as time passes. Ah well.

Evil really does come in a beautiful guise sometimes -- this is an absolutely gorgeous, bright fresh floral. It's all of the things that I love in blends like Flower Moon and Phantom Queen -- refreshing, crisp, soft, a sparkling floral possibly over a faintly powdery wooden base. You know that smell when you go into a place where freshly-cut wood is stacked up? It's a sort of very pale, powdery fragrant sawdust scent underneath the flowers.

I'd consider a bottle of this for the spring/summer just for the fragrance but I'll have to see how it wears on me after a little while. Positively scintillating. It's a beautiful lie that you want to believe in.

I'm getting a clean, powdery floral. It's a very gentle smell, but I'm picking up hints of burnt plastic, which is how jasmine generally behaves on me.

I keep thinking of the Samael monster in Hellboy "The Hound of Resurrection". (Oh, the crap that clutters my brain!) Anyway, Sam is a the most straight up floral of the Qliphoths so far. It's a lovely light almost slightly aquatic floral. It reminds me just a bit of Beatrice, but less powdery. I'm not a huge floral fan, but I might use this one- it's so pretty and not overwhelming. Then again, I'll see if I use up my half imp before considering a full size!

I'd call it a 4 out of 5- I don't know what these are exactly intended for besides perfumey goodness, I must admit

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Light blonde liquid in the vial. Sweet and kind of honey-ish, floral like a Carolina jasmine, or some kind of wild, yellow flower with an uncommon herbal scent. On skin, it goes really bright and powerful... I'm tempted to think this is wisteria, or honeysuckle. Whatever it is, it is a wet, gray floral like Asphodel, powdery and giving me a touch of a headache... whoa. Very strong. Yikes.

This was quite light at first, but seems to be one of those blends that intensifies as it dries. I've been getting delicious wafts from it all night. This is a sweet honeyed musk on me. Similar to La Fee Verte without the herbal notes or Al Araaf without the lily notes. This is delectable. Definitely getting a big bottle of this one.

This seems to me a combination of honey and the incense of church: I get a frankincense and myrhh out of this. It is sweet and resinous, sweeter at first than it dries down to be.

After about five minutes it is as though I have been burning incense with charcoal in an old burner. I can almost smell the smoky edge.

Another few minutes and I get pure honey from this again. It is as though the oil has two sides, and that feels appropriate somehow.

Unfortunately, the honey element is not for me. It is too sweet.

I agree with cupide430's assessment: This one reminded me very much of La Fee Verte without so much "verte," after its initial herbal top notes have dried down on my skin. And since I adore LFV, Samael found its way into my heart very quickly. At first sniff, there's a little bit of light floral floating around, but this becomes a lightly resinous, musky honey once it's been on my skin for a little while. It's just lovely - I inhale this deeply from my wrist and think, I can confront and overcome any nasty qualities I have if I can just keep smelling this.

Initially I get a blast of honeyed waxy sweetness.

The dry down is very sweet and perfumey - what I've seen some other brands market as a floral Egyptian Musk - thick, sweet and deep with that edge that makes me think of the residual scents of all the incenses burning in different stalls in Egyptian markets... Not a hint of my arch enemy jasmine in this, from start to finish.

I really like this!

Samael

In the imp: ohh, beautiful warm honeyed flowers. I’m thinking orchid, the same honeyed orchid as Regan.

Wet on skin: honey and pollen! I smell humid flowers with hints of green…

Dry: whoa, it’s suddenly gone very sharp! A green, piercing sharpness-but not the acrid pickly screeching reaction of ‘evil gardenia’-this is not as unpleasant, it’s something else, but I can’t tell what it is, but it reminds me of a booze note, it’s almost alcoholic, maybe even medicinal, but also very green. Around that I smell floral notes and honey, I think there’s orchid in here…oh, now the sharp note settles down and becomes something I recognise-I think it’s lilac! Or is it wisteria? One of those scented purple spring flowers anyway. It’s very complex. I also get a lot of lily in here.

After a while: it’s not long before this scent becomes a cool, steely lily (yup, it also has a hint of metal to it) fringed with wisteria/lilac and a hint of the honeyed flowers from before.

After an hour or so, the lily and lilac move back and the honey is stronger again. It is a sharp honey-floral mix. I do agree with the Fee Verte comparisons at this point! It's also a less creamy version of Al Araaf.

The drydown is a dry, greenish scent with sharp honey. There may be honeysuckle here, it sometimes dries down to a sharp green smell on me after a few hours.

Verdict: another strange one. It smells gorgeous in the vial, soft, powdery honeyed flowers. But it develops a sharpness as soon as it hits the skin, and then moves through phases of honey-flowers and cool, greenish-metallic lily, and also stages of piercing lilac/wisteria as well. It’s a floral with a poisonous side-it has a definite sharp bite to it, smoothed out by tempting notes of honey. It’s ok but not my favourite scent-I have a lot of honey-floral scents I prefer to this, but I may try this again. I wish I got the incense and musk mentioned in other reviews!

Emoticon rating: :P

In Bottle: Light spicy floral

On Skin: ooh! This is nice, very elegant yet dark and sinister. Oh my, I LOVE this!!! It smells like something an evil Queen would wear from a Disney film… oh yeah! I get a very deep purple/blue feel from it with a beautiful golden crown. It is pretty tart and if I breathe in too deepely it does make my eyes water a bit so I think I have to apply this lightly. It’s very powdery which normally I don’t like, but it really works with this scent. After the dry down, it mellows out and actually fades quickly so I may actually have to apply more than I just said I should. There is a clean ozone soapy note in the background which adds to the elegant feel. The spice is so soft, just hiding in the background giving it a nice fuzzy feel more like velvet than fur. This is very perfumey and VERY feminine, this screams woman. I do get a honey note in here… JOY! Yes, I’m adding this to the bottle list, I must have it.

In the imp: Fruity and floral.

On: I have to strain my nose to smell this, it's so light. There's a very faint powdery incense and a bit of floral. I seem to be able to smell it while I'm writing, but not when I sniff my wrist. Odd...

Dry: Honey, incense, and floral. It's faint, but it sticks around longer than I expected. I'm still smelling it a bit a few hours later. I might have to buy a bottle of this to put in my hair.

Seriously, this whole series is just amazing. But I am particularly enamored with Samael, which does indeed bear resemblance to La Fee Verte. It's just the most delcious honey musk, and it lasts and lasts. Another one to consider in a larger format. :P

Ohh, this was the one I wanted to try most of all the Qliphoth blends, and it works just gorgeously on me!

A lot of people already mentioned honey, floral notes and musk, which is exactly what I am getting. It has extreme staying power - I applied it first the day before yesterday in the evening (after my shower before I go to work), and it stayed with me until I took a shower tonight. Whoa!

Nevertheless, the scent never seems overwhelming, it's just there, as if it has a life of its own.

Love this, have to buy more! :P

Edited by Diva Urd

My nose can barely detect Samael, let alone pick out notes. It becomes a little stronger on my skin, but not much. I really don't have the faintest idea what I'm smelling. I don't dislike Samael, but it doesn't do anything for me.

at first: some sweet notes and flowers.

on: a fresh floral blend.

2 hours later: now, it's turned to a sweet, musky blend. i can smell amber and a light musk.

3 hours later: powdery and sweet, with a bit of musk.

overall: this is really pretty, but i have other oils that develop similarly on me.

Samael smells a bit like a more perfumey version of Phantom Queen on me at first, in that fruity-floral sort of way. As it dries down a bit, the perfumey note stays and begins to take on a powdery musk sort of feel.

After 15 minutes, I'm getting something like honey musk that others have mentioned. Now this is a bit like powdery lilies and honey musk on me. It's more something that smells clasically floral to me, but with a sweeter edge... and it's probably not something that I would wear a lot.

Samael is a thick juicy floral. I get Jasmine and tuberose possibly honeysuckle and some kind of fruit, I almost want to say pear but I could be way off. Its honeyed and sweet , its what I've been grabbing when I go out with Ken . He really likes it and it lasts long enough , so that I don't have to reaply. Its sexy and comforting. I have to say that this is one of my most used oils right now, and I am DEFINATLY a Jasmine person, sometimes honey goes yucky on me but jasmine and similiar scents are wonderful on me most of the time, and I love this blend. I am so glad I have a 10 ml!

Samael - Out of the vial, this is a strong floral. As it warms up on my skin and begins to dry down, the floral note becomes recognizable as wisteria, and it's quite lovely. I also can't help but wonder if there's a touch of apple blossom in this, as well. Upon full dry-down, I begin to detect the honey musk scent that other reviewers noted, and it's quite gorgeous. It reminds me somewhat of Al Araaf (as other reviewers have noted) and not similar in the least to La Fee Verte, as other reviewers have found. It sticks fairly close to my skin, but I get lovely, light wafts of it on occasion, and it's just so truly pretty. I really like this scent and was very surprised by how different it is after drydown than it is directly out of the vial. Definitely one to consider for a full bottle purchase.

ETA: It's been over a year-and-a-half since I first reviewed this scent, and probably a year since I last wore it. I have worn it three times this week, and I'm having a different experience with it this go-around. I do not know if it's due to aging or changes in skin chemistry, but I don't smell any wisteria now, only perhaps the lightest touch of a fruit blossom, and honey, honey, HONEY! The Al Araaf similarity is stronger than ever, due to the heaviness of the honey. It's also no longer subtle on my skin, but quite strong and lasts a long time. I never did get around to buying a full bottle, and now I'm kicking myself over it.

Edited by edenssixthday

wet: uh. not liking this. it's like bad, sour floral notes and socks. that's one way to poison god, i guess.

dry: This is one of the rare oils that just goes totally wrong and awful on me. It's a really floral blend (of the sort that must be made entirely of flowers i dislike like lilies & irises) backed by possibly honey? But it really smells like old, stale flowers, and dirty laundry. It is a testament to my love of bpal that i've had it on for over an hour to review it. Ugh. Total thumbs down on this one.

I wouldn't put it past Samael to lie to me, but I get extreme white musk, amber, and lilies. And throw!! It's an apt analogy for the way rumors and untruths take on a life of their own.

First sniff: For someone who bears the title of “the Poison of God,” Samael smells pretty darn nice. It’s a soft, pale tea scent, very gentle and soothing.

Wearing: Tea and white musk, and maybe a little bit of honey? Understated and gorgeous.

I was really hoping that this one would work on me. Sadly, it turns into an odd mix of light floral and cleaning fluid on my skin. The cleaning fluid scent fades as it dries, but then the florals amp up and completely take over and give me a headache.

When I first put it on, it was a perfumey floral. As it dries, though, it warms up. I definitely seems like there's some honey in this, and it's smoothing out the scent a lot. It still has that perfumey quality, though. Honestly, I can't really tell what might be in this. It smells familiar to me, but I can't place it. It ends up being a nice musky scent, but on my skin there isn't much else going on with it.