Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Golachab

Golachab

Burners With Fire.

Tyranny, violence, destruction, injustice, revenge.

Governed by Asmodeus, the Beautiful One, a King of Hell, Overseer of Hells Gambling Halls, and Demon of Lust and Immoral Political Power.

Golachab גולשב

In the bottle: Sweet apricot scent. Still a little musty and sharp though.

Visual: Reddish amber colour. Still a little musty and sharp though.

On the skin: It's a little astringenty and unpleasant, but there's still something fruity and apricot in it. It's not a pleasant scent on me though. I wish the apricot scent stuck around.

This really does smell like a scent of heat and fire at first. Not cinnamon or clove though, not spicy -- more like a glowing yellow-gold-red bright flower. There's an inner warmth to it that bursts, pyrotechnics on the skin.

I'd say overall this is another that is roughly floral in category but with a gritty fruit scent underneath. I thought maybe fig but apricot could also be a possibility. It's one of the earthy fruits, something golden and glowing just beneath the surface. And through it all, a persistent blaze of light and warmth and heat-without-spice.

This is some kind of fruit that's unripe and green-smelling. There's also kind of a fresh-but-spicy thing going on, like Silk Road. Overall, it's pretty light and unobtrusive.

Ooohh. Another Qliphoth I'm loving quite a bit. This is a deep, sexy scent on me. Warm, spicy, yet sweet. It is reminiscent of something else... but what?! Drawing a blank. Will update if it comes to me. But this is definitely a sexy/spicy scent, and a very nice one at that. May need a bottle of this eventually. Mmmm. Yes. This is one that bloomed on skin, incidentally- I didn't love it initially, in the imp.

As strictly a perfume, I'd call this a 4.5 out of 5, possibly a 5.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Orange in the vial, moderate viscosity. Smells mildly orange / fruity? This is a little peppery on my skin, definitely warming up as it hits my skin, citrus and something biting (patchouli?) blended with perhaps white pepper, something fiery and warm. I do like this! I think there may be... lotus in this, too, because it's also sweet? It's very well blended, and quite warm and spicy.

ETA: I think this is like Kunstkammer in a way - it dries down to sweet orange hard candy on me. Just like the ol' K.

Edited by Lycanthrope

I've been reading about the Qliphoth and it's pretty interesting, actually. It did make me a bit wary that putting on the oils would attract negative energies.

This winds up smelling quite citrusy and a bit musky. I applied it to my wrist first, and a couple of minutes later it had vanished completey! Elusive little scent. I reapplied and sniffed deeply- the citrus seems to be dotted with a bit of pepper, but again it is disappearing. Ever stubborn I reapplied once again and the citrus seems to have a sweet note behind it, like a sweetpea. Then the pepper, then ... nothing!

Wow, what a vanisher!

Edited by aidenraine

In Bottle: Minty Fruit

On Skin: At first it is a bit astringent like. The herbs make it slightly medicinal but that fades quite a bit luckily. There is a very nice soft fruity or maybe a sweet floral note as well. I’m not sure what it is since it doesn’t really stand out. I get a velvety golden feel from this scent, so I’m thinking there might be an amber base. This is so pretty!!! But it has a VERY light throw, I wish it had a little more “oompf”. I really like this, I just wish it had more staying power and throw.

This was super strong and heavy in a smoky incensy but still fruity way, at first. It is fading very fast. It is starting to smell almost flat on me, not as fruity and a lot less smoky. It is now a faint sorta generic berry/plum fruit on me. And now, at the end this is grape lollipop on me. Not what I expected.

Golachab is very smoky and fruity in the bottle and when wet. It mellows and blooms once it's on the skin, becoming very complex -- creamy, fruity and a bit floral, but with a woody base. I find it absolutely stunning. I can't compare it to anything I have smelled before, it's unique. I found myself ordering a bottle without much debate!

Like aidenraine, I have been reading a bit about the Qliphoth as well and had the same fears about attracting negative energy at first, but after some thought it seems to me that these oils are be used to confront and overcome the negative qualities that each Qliphoth personifies, rather than to attract and nurture those negative qualities. I honestly couldn't picture Beth performing rituals to charge such beautiful oils with negative energy, nor releasing them without some caveats if they could bring you harm in any way if used without great knowledge and skill (as she has a number of TALs).

Golachab

In the imp: a fruity floral scent with an odd dark, leathery scent in the background. How odd.

Wet on skin: I think there's a little bit of patchouli (?) here in the background. But the scent in the front is fruity, tangy lemony incense and wine…it reminds me of Cairo.

Dry on skin: tangy, lemony sherbet sweets, served with dry wine and with a touch of resinous incense, and a soft floral-I think there's lotus in here, it has that distinctive candied sweetness to it. this is a warm, sunny, effervescent scent-it's very warm indeed but not blatantly spicy but I do detect a bit of dry smoky incense, maybe some sandalwood. I think there's some lemongrass or balm here because the lemon note is of the herbal variety I think-it's very intense lemon! And there's definitely a grape note in here as well, maybe some honey?

After a while: this really sweetens over time. There's an almost candy like feel to this scent at times, but these are sweets served with wine, as I get a dry, crisp wine scent to this. Maybe also some currants as well. There's also a white, sweet floral which might be lotus, and I'm definitely getting a tart honey note to this now. The lemon note has toned down a lot but still remains, adding it's tart tang to the scent. There are times when this has smells a bit too much like synthetic flavoured sweets and grape/berry/cherry bubble gum-there are times when this reminds me of Jester, but without the 'argh, get it off!' reaction I got from that scent. It veers from fruity bubble gum to flowers and honeyed lemon wine every now and then. I also get hints of cherry flavoured soft drinks at this stage.

I do like the drydown after about two or three hours though-it smells like Bastet's Laughter, or Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo! A cheerful candy scent now, not as fake and 'OMG bubblegum!' as before, but more like sugared apricots, candy floss, and lotus. This stage of the scent is much gentler and makes me smile.

Verdict: this scent is a strange one. At first, it's a bright, warm, sunny, zingy mix of tart sparkling wine and grape juice with honey, lemony herbs and sweet flowers (like lotus?), with a hint of sticky resins and woods in the background-it reminds me of a lighter version of Cairo. But there are stages when this smells like sweets and children's soft drinks-like fruit flavoured bubble gum and grape flavoured drinks. Whilst these candy stages do smell youthful and bring back pleasant childhood memories, it smells a little too much like the fake, over-sugared fruit flavours you get in kid's soft drinks and sweets and I'm not sure I like it much when it does that. I wish it could stick to its honey-lemon-wine scent, then I would really enjoy it more…but I love the drydown, which really reminds me of Bastet's Laughter, which I love-a muted fruit and sugar scent which is cheerful but not too showy about it. I'll probably keep the decant I have, but I don't think I need a bottle yet.

Emoticon rating: ranges from :D to :P and then back to :D

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the imp: Fruity. A heavy fruit, maybe apricot or plum.

Wet: Some sort of fruit (plum?), amber, and incense.

Dry: A lot of fruits go weird on my skin, and this is no exception. The fruit note completely takes over and gets very sweet. It's like fake candy grape or plum, with a bit of incense way underneath.

After a few hours: Sweet, dusty fruit. Golachab is stronger to begin with than most of the Qlipoth, and it stays around for quite a while.

Golachab is one of my favorites of the Qliphoth blends. It starts off smelling peppery with a hint of something fruity in the background. I'm not sure what sort of fruit this is here, but I'm leaning towards saying it smells like plum with the tiniest hint of orange citrus.

In the drydown I don't get as much pepper (drat) but I still smell that interesting fruity note and am getting a spicy, smoky incense fragrance as well. It smells warm, light and playfully sweet.

I like this one a lot :P

Like other reviewers above, Golachab strikes me as incensey and smoky with something fruity---maybe grape? I also get some florals but they are complicated and transformed by the smoke. Very nice.

I wanted this scent because of a literary significance - the main character of one of my favorite books, The Etched City, owns a sword named Gol'achab. And boy, I wasn't disappointed.

My impressions, posted a few days ago in my blog:

Wet in bottle - WHOA spice. Hot hot hot spice. Fiery and sandy. Living up to the "Burners with Fire" namesake, I'll say. Very complicated, difficult to distinguish individual notes. I think I'm smelling black pepper and possibly dragon's blood in here? Also a distinctly yellow note I can't quite place. There's an underlying sweetness, something unexpectedly floral, and dark, sweet musk.

Wet on skin - Still firey, very spicey, but the sweet musk and the oddly floral and yellow notes coming up stronger. I think I'm smelling cedar. Maybe some cinnamon, though if so it sort of blends in with the wood and spice. And is that sandalwood? It actually feels kind of warm on my skin, which makes me think I'm right about the black pepper. Yellow flames in darkness. It's becoming somewhat drowsy and sensual. Very masculine. Still brings to mind sand, desert dunes, and I can see gauzy, dark-colored clothing and gold.

Dry on skin - Definately smelling sandalwood. Spice has receeded to accent rather than the dominating scent. Has taken on a strong, pleasantly soporific, powdery sandalwood-and-cedar smell, still very musky and sweet. Is that opium? Very slight almost metallic edge to the drowsy sweetness. Only a little bit of the floral note left. Still a very masculine scent.

Over time - Now very incense-y, light and powdery, but in a good way. Woody scents have taken over as the dominant note, pushing the spice and musk back to accents. The metallic edge is a touch stronger - it isn't so much noticiable in the smell but in the way it leaves a faint taste of metal on your tongue after sniffing it. Almost like the taste of licking the blood from a small cut. The peppery-spice is still there, but mild and muted. The floral and "yellow" notes I mentioned are almost completely gone. Would smell almost meditative if not for the hot, restless element of fire and metal.

Overall: I'm not much for giving number ratings since I'm horrifically inconsistant with such judgements, but I can defiantely say I like this scent a LOT. If you don't like smelling like a man you might not want to use it as a body perfume, though. It is definately a very male scent. For me, this presents no problem, since I kind of actually like that.

After looking through some of the previous reviews in this thread, I think the "yellow note" I kept smelling was what everyone keeps describing as "fruity." Also, as an interesting and odd note, a few hours later the "yellow" and floral notes were back, and were stronger than ever before.

Oh man... while it at first was fruity with maybe a floral hint here and there, upon drydown, it completely turned to the smell of PEZ candy on me. My husband smelled my arm and went "Whoa, PEZ!".

It's way sweet and smells somewhat artificial - just like PEZ.

Sometimes I like to eat PEZ, but I don't enjoy smelling like it. Too bad, Golachab...

at first: i can smell blackberry in this, along with something a bit sparkly and some sweet vanilla.

on: musky, sweet vanilla and blackberry.

2 hours later: still mostly blackberry and musk.

3 hours later: sweet and musky. i think i mostly smell vanilla.

overall: this is very pretty, although the musk does get a bit too heavy for me at times.

Golachab - I first smelled this when I was decanting Qliphoths for my decant group. Based on scent in the bottle alone, I was positive that Golachab was going to be my favorite of the Qliphoths. It is even more lovely when applied to the skin. Both in the vial and on the skin, the scent is primarily a heavy, sweet fruit and I think it's blackberry because it smells exactly like my Philosophy Blackberry 3-in-1. Beneath that is the scent of something just a touch resinous and warm, and I'm almost certain there is a bit of amber running through this blend. I also smell something sweet and creamy like vanilla. The scent sticks close to my skin and has below average wear length, but still, it's just so lovely that I think I'll have to put it on my list of bottles to purchase. I can't get over how wonderful it is to have another blackberry BPAL scent in my life!

wet: juniper berries? it's sweet, but not the typical sweetness encountered with most fruit blends, and there's a super faint evergreen note to it.

dry: still fruity, with a bit of greenery to it. there may even be a bit of spice to it as well. it reminds me a bit of a strawberry Malkuth. Huh.

Bottle: fruity in an indeterminate way, slightly sharp but I can't identify what note might have that edge

Wet: very warm, with an aftertaste of smoke. the fruit seems like apricot with some sharp citrus, but I can't really identify it clearly. actually, it reminds me of these little orange fruits that are served at the Chinese buffet my parents like to take the kids to when we visit (they have a big waterfall in the lobby and we've put in our share of pennies)..I don't know the name of the fruit.

Dry: still very sweet, and I'm teetering on the edge of a headachey reaction to the fruit note/s.

Later: headache. damn.

Golacheb. Destroying the world with Sweet Tarts. One diabetic at a time. I'm not so sure about the absorbing the evil of the universe thing......

Edited by themerrybaker

This is cool and sweet on first sniff, a little fruity, but also floral in hints. It's smoky as well, which is an interesting combination. It warms over time, but never strikes me as a warm blend. Spicy and sweet, always light. This is pretty, but slightly insubstantial on my skin.

First sniff: Pungent on the outsides and hollow in the middle. It makes me uneasy and I’m not sure why.

Wearing: Sharply fruity and still weirdly hollow. Not my thing.

This oil is orange, which of course makes me think of oranges straight away, and it's difficult for me to stop making that association when I sniff the oil. However, although I think there's definitely fruit in this, I don't think it's oranges. It smells more like a berry. The scent smells so familiar to me, and I'm not sure why. I think perhaps it reminds me of another GC scent, but I can't put my finger on it.

Anyway, mostly this smells like a berry musk to me, and because I can't get that blasted orange notion out of my head I also think I'm smelling a little bit of orange blossom. There might be some vanilla in this, too. It's doing that very slightly chalky thing on me that raspberry usually does, so maybe there's some of that in here.

I really enjoy this scent a lot, even though it's driving me nuts that I can't think of what it reminds me of.

ETA on 8/28/07:

I've worn this enough times now that I think I should mention in my review that although it smells a little acidic/medicinal right at first, it warms up really well and ends up being beautiful in drydown and wear. Really a lovely scent.

Edited by filigree_shadow

In bottle: Sweet and lightly fruity!

On me: Strawberry. With... apricot? Asmodeus is playing with Strawberry Shortcake dolls! And eating Pez.