Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zillah37

Sathariel

Sathariel

The Concealment of God.

Ruthlessness, seclusion, matter without spirit, denial of the love of God.

Governed by Lucifuge Rofocale, Prime Minister of Hell, God of Disease and Destroyer of the Sacred.

Sathariel סט'אריאל

In the bottle: Sweet and a bit spicy.

Visual: Very dark reddish amber colour.

On my skin: Amber and flowers with a bit of a spice - maybe cinnamon. But with dark undertones almost like vetiver.

Note: I don't do any kind of rituals, so I'll be reviewing these blends based on their scent alone.

This has a warm, sweet, mildly spicy base with a fresh floral top. It smells like a light jasmine. There's also a slight buttery quality.

It dries down into a subtle skin scent. It's making me think of sweat and sex in the same way that Luperci did, but that is in no way a bad thing.

Overall, I'd call this sultry, exotic, and feminine.

I'm at a loss to describe this one aside from slightly spicy and musky floral. I've been describing a lot of these scents similarly and they do have a lot in common: there are some that are spicy, slightly woody and musky and others are soapy florals. But they all do have their own individual signature and I can tell them apart by scent pretty easily.

This is another that gets stronger with wear and the cinnamony spice comes out a bit more. After a shower it's still pretty strong on my wrist though indistinct as far as fragrance goes. Not as striking of a fragrance as, say, Nahemoth was, but probably in the same general family of scents as far as being a strong, spicy and slightly musky floral.

Sathariel is tough to describe for me. It's quite well blended like most of the Qliphoths, and not knowing the notes makes it difficult sometimes to know exactly what you're smelling. This is sweet, a little resiny, and a bit spicy. I am not in love with it, I'm sort of neutral on it truthfully. It doesn't smell incredibly unique. It isn't offensive either. Basically it's a decent blend but one that doesn't reach out and grab you as amazing either. I'd call it a 3.5 out of 5 scentwise.

Whoa, this is much darker than something like Golachab or A'arab Zaraq, definitely musky and woodsy, patchouli, but much sharper and woodsier. Deeper, if I may use that very vague term... On skin... whoa, what is this note? It smells almost like... fennel? Something sweet and waxy? Beeswax? I have no idea! It's almost sugar-caney. I don't know... I really have no words. This is quite nice.

In Bottle: Resin

On Skin: Beautiful resinous amber and maybe myrrh. Sweet yet warm and soft. I just want to cuddle this scent. It has a slight spice which warms it up even more. I also smell something sweet, maybe a light honey or vanilla… or maybe even a sweet floral, it’s very light though. This is very exotic and I would love it on a man or woman. I’m loving it on me right now… I feel super, extra extremely seductive. This gives you that extra oomfph I think. I don’t think it fits the description that well… since I get such good feelings from it… hmmm. I think I need a bottle though, this is “teh sex”.

This is a very yummy spicy scent. I think it has some dragon's blood in it, which I usually don't like, but this is goooood. Mmmmm... it's slightly sweet with the spice mixed in. The longer I sniff it, the more I want to lick it. It's like a sweet chai aroma. This may have allspice in it...

It doesn't seem to fade particuarly after several minutes- and my skin loves to eat up scent. It's still happily spicy and sweet. I wish I could get this in a shower gel, soap, or bath bomb too!

After a couple of hours it's still on my wrist, but has become pure dragon's blood. I feel like I HAVE this blend already somewhere!

This is really wet and green and fresh, but in a deep dark way. It is almost piney in its leafy greenness. This still smells leafy and juicy and wet as it dries. Definitely a candidate for further testing. I'm finding this very refreshing.

Sathariel

In the imp: spicy dragon's blood. A red, warm, smouldering scent-I'm pretty sure there's dragon's blood here as the oil is very red indeed.

Wet on skin: cocoa? I swear I'm getting a little hint of cocoa now, it's spicy chocolate with pepper and cinnamon and dragon's blood, reminds me of the Telltale Heart and the Great Sword of War.

Dry on skin: ohh, wow. Now I get resinous incense-it's Al Azif! Yup, it's the exact same incense scent from Al Azif, sweet and dark and sticky, lots of myrrh and hints of spice here and there-I get a scent also reminiscent of Chimera and Sin, maybe there's cinnamon, amber, patchouli and copal in here too? I also smell some gorgeous caramelised brown sugar. All of these wonderful sticky sweet resinous warm notes lie on a subtle dragon's blood note, adding it's distinctive red, clear, metallic tone to the scent without taking over. There may be a little bit of red musk in here too.

After a while: the dragon's blood is more noticeable now, merging into the sweet, sugary resin mixture and becoming a part of it. Dragon's blood is a hit or miss note which I either like or dislike depending on what blend it is in, but in this it works beautifully, and adds something almost fruity to the scent. There's a hint of chocolate here, a cocoa note which isn't dry-this is more like melted chocolate or moist, rich chocolate cake, lightly spiced and delicious. It's like a cross between the Telltale Heart and the Pit and the Pendulum. It then goes into a lovely 'blood incense' stage reminiscent of the Cracked Bell, and stays like this for the rest of the scent's duration.

Verdict: I'm not really one to incline towards evil, but it seems that my skin chemistry is-because I'm loving the Qliphoth so far! This is a deep, rich, sweet, dark resinous scent with spices and dragon's blood/red musk, it smells like Al Azif meets Sin, Chimera and the Great Sword of War and the Telltale Heart. It is deep red, spicy and resinous, and also has a hint of something foody to it, reminiscent of brown sugar and moist chocolate desserts. I'm not a huge fan of dragon's blood but in here it's fantastic. I love the way the dragon's blood works in this, it goes so nicely with the sweet sticky resins and enhances the scent, especially on drydown. Another winner from this wicked collection of scents!

Emoticon rating: :P

In the imp: Sweet and musky. I'm pretty sure there's amber in this.

Wet: Resins and wax. It has a waxy undertone that makes it smell like a scented candle.

Dry: It smells like smoke. Not fresh from the fire smoke, but more the way my skin smells after I've been around a fire.

In the bottle, this smells like a lovely, dark incense.

On me... more incense. Sathariel smells like a mixture of wonderful incense blends that I already know. Like a mixture of Midnight Mass's sweeter, powdery incense, waxy candle, and Al Azif's smokier floral incense.

And it stays pretty true to that first impression. Sathariel is an amazing blend. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes resin/incense scents :P

Sathariel

In the imp: Sweet and resinous. Dragon's blood? It's definitely a possibility.

On me/wet: A sharp, unpleasant floral. :D Who said "waxy"? I agree, but would call it a waxy, white floral with a little resin in the background.

Drydown: This one is just too sharp - I smell sort of like flowers, sort of like resins, a little like smoke, and a little burnt. :P Not too good, but somewhat intriguing despite that.

This one, I think, is not for me.

Sathariel is incensey and warm, like the feeling in the chest after taking a shot of straight liquor. Like reviewers above, I pick up on a spicy dragon's blood base with something sweet and almost honeyed. Whatever it is, it's good. The drydown is like a tryst between Sepent's Kiss and Venom. This strikes me as a blend that would be great in the fall, perhaps because of the yummy spices.

When I first put Sathariel on, the dragon's blood spiked up as it usually does on me until drydown. Once it had completely dried, something spicy, almost cinnamonny clawed its way to the foreground, and some dark musk made itself known as well.

If it weren't for the almost-cinnamon note I am getting from this, I would probably like it a bit more, as it is, I don't think I'll order more, although I'll use up what I have.

In the imp, this smells mainly like a strong, dark musk.

Once on the skin, it remains mainly musky with elements of sweet, sweet incense. There's a slight floral aspect, maybe a trace of jasmine. This has the sweet piercing incense that I remember from Al Azif and of which I find elements in the Bearded Lady. As it dries and wears, it becomes all sweet incense.

As it wears, I’m picking up a bit of cinnamon and what smells like coconut to me. It’s an unusual combination. It’s dominated by the incense and musk of course. I'm not getting any dragon's blood. It was fairly short lasting but wonderful while it did. I’m tempted to pick up a bottle of this.

at first: wow. this contains a lot of things that i don't like. i smell vetiver and cinnamon, along with some orange blossom.

on: there's something fresher (lime?) coming forward now, which lightens up and cools off this blend.

half an hour later: a slightly odd, fruity scent. this reminds me of some bath product from lush.

2 hours later: fruity and a bit earthy. very nice.

overall: this has an almost-tropical feel to it. it's really lovely and different from other oils i've tried.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Dragon's blood!

Pre-review thoughts: Cinnamon? Amber? Musk? The previous reviews give me much hope for Sathariel.

In the imp: Cinnamon and what I would swear is dragon's blood — how could I mistake that cold, spicy tang?

On skin, wet: Dragon's blood, musk and cinnamon. Warm and musky, this one, and very dark.

On skin, dry: Predominately dragon's blood and musk. I do wish it were a little lighter on the musk, which seems to be of the darker variety. I can't say I don't find myself very fond of this all the same, but being so strongly dragon's blood on me, it's very close to the scent Dragon's Blood.

Conclusion/Notes: I adore dragon's blood, musk and cinnamon, so I'm a fan of Sathariel. However, it's so similar to Dragon's Blood (which I already own), that I doubt I'll be buying a bottle of this.

Sathariel - This is an odd scent that's very familiar, but I can't place it for the life of me. It's complexly blended, and I can only guess at what I think I smell in this blend: amber, a touch of dragon's blood, incense, and a hint of something sweet like balsam. This blend is way too sweet for me, and I find it incredibly cloying, even in small amount. The level of throw is moderate and the wear length seems about average.

wet: florals... and something else. I am becoming more and more horrible at picking out notes.

dry: warm, slightly floral, and slightly resiny. i think it might be myrrh, which tends to go very slightly bitter on me. it's not terribly strong, and I'm having a hard time describing it or picking out a note. It's pretty, but just not something that's calling to me.

Deep sweetness, overlaid with spice and a light floral. It's a bit like cinnamon, actually, and a soapy floral. There's resin as well. This is darker than the other Qlipthoth blends I've tried, but still very similar. Pretty and clean. It's rather calming.

Sathariel must have whatever resin is in Jacob's Ladder because I get the same "saliva" smell. I also seem to be getting plum scent here. Hmm, Masticated Plums?

Sathariel is an example of how one man's Ruthless Drool may be another's Mouthwateringly Good.

First sniff: This smells not so much smoky as smoked. Like dragon’s blood run through a hickory smoker. There’s something lighter around the edges, but the core of the scent is that smoked dragon’s blood.

Wearing: Dragon’s blood at the core, with fruits and flowers on top. The smoked impression vanishes almost immediately on my skin. It’s prettier and less harsh than I expected.

This oil is the reddest of all the Qliphoth scents. To me, usually that means dragon's blood, and I would say there definitely is some in this.

You know how sometimes dragon's blood smells sticky? It doesn't, in this one. It smells dry. There's a smoky aspect to it as well... it makes me think of opium poppy due to the floral and smoke combination. But just as soon as I decide there's a floral note in this, it disappears and I smell something else. This scent seems to morph a lot until it settles down.

Mostly, it seems to me like a lightly musky "perfumey" blend with a dragon's blood undertone. There's a little bit of gentle spice in there, too -- nothing overwhelming.

I think this scent is quite calming and centering. I really like it when it's dry.

I sniff the bottle and I get "Dark musk, dark musk, dark muuuussssk!"

I put some on my wrist and sniff it about twenty minutes later. This is sultry, smoky musk. Any dragon's blood (and I adore dragon's blood) is not a distinct note, but adding to the sultriness.

I used to think that Mama-ji would be the scent I would wear to meet a hot guy, to make me feel like the kind of woman whose clothes he'll want to tear off. No. It's Sathariel, all the way. It's a, "my lord, let us deny the love of God, because we have our own, and let's do it in such a way God will look down with envy!" (I confess my reading of Kushiel's Dart lately may have influenced my thoughts somewhat, but...)

I'm glad I have 10 mL of this.

ETA: In the locket, I am getting a high clear note also, something almost aquatic, on top of the musky base. I am not getting the cinnamon most of the other reviewers noted, and I am wondering why no one else pointed out this top note.

It is still beautiful, though. I keep sniffin and sniffin.

Edited by indicolite