Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Thaumiel

Thaumiel

The Twins of God.

Spiritual pride, arrogance, denial of the sacredness of every spirit, duality, the denial of the Great Work, the basest and most profane aspects of Nature.

In the words of Ibn Al'Arabi, this is that which resists the Self-Realizing urge to create the own-other object and insists in the sole right of pure spirit and transcendence, this being the reason for Satan's refusal to obey God's command to prostrate himself to Adam, from jealousy for the integrity of pure spirit.

Governed by Satan.

Thaumiel (ט'אומיאל)

Visual: Light amber coloured oil.

In the bottle there's a bit of a hint of something floral, but as soon as it gets on my skin it turns to soap. Commercial soap at that. It's not a scent that's working for me sadly.

This one feels light and sunny to me. It smells like very soft lemon, the herbs from Mantis, and something soapy, which is probably lily of some kind.

edit: After a while, it gets a bit darker, and then it reminds me of the Caterpillar minus all that incense and vetiver.

Edited by nineveh

I really can't describe this.

It's just... very well blended and floral. It does have a soapy rush that isn't apparent in the initial imp, and it sort of.... rises up in a bubble of sweet floral freshness. Lotus? Lemon? It's kind of like Venice, actually. A bright and kinda intriguing floral.

This is a sort of flat, almost plasticky floral on me. Very faint with a violetty edge to it. As it dries, the violet note comes out more and more strongly. It is a bit sweet and quite floral.

Upon sniffing this I was hit with a sudden, powerful scent memory. I loved perfumes when I was growing up as much as I do now. I also had problems sleeping. When I was staying over at my best friends' house she knew I was afraid of not falling asleep so she prepared my bed carefully, and spritzed a bit of Elizabeth Arden's Sunflowers perfume on the pillow (God, we must have been all of 12 years old). The smell was so calming to me that I instantly nodded off, and forever after that perfume relaxed me.

This reminds me of Sunflowers perfume. It's sweet, it's herby. It definitely seems to contradict the oil's description. I think there's honey in here.

As it sits on my wrist, the honey note does seem to pop, a bit.

More time, and I am getting a reminder of a botanical gardens I went to once. It reminds me of Bermuda in the spring.

All in all, it's a bit too perfumey for me, but I liked the nostalgic connection.

In the imp: sharp herbal/floral, maybe with some resins?

On: Turns a bit powdery on my skin (a lot of things do). The sharpness reminds me of neroli, but I'm not quite sure if that's what it is - I can't quite place it. It's a bit perfumey, but the herbal-ish notes - whatever they are - keep it from being too sweet. On me, this dries down to something that's sort of like sun-warmed dried herbs. To me it has the same "feel" as The Sun from the Tarot blends, but without the citrus. It smells like late August.

In Bottle: Soft floral

On Skin: This is another light soapy scent. It’s not fruity or as bright as Thagirion, but more of a soft filtered light coming through sheer curtains. It’s very powdery and dry, which doesn’t agree with my nose. It has a floral/herbal base that is quite sharp and not really pleasant to me. Combined with the powderyness, it just seems a bit too harsh, even though it has low throw. Now picture the curtains I mentioned above and imagine when you move something and it scatters dust and you can see each dust particle in the light from the window. That’s what this feels like… the scent of lit up dust.

Thaumiel

In the imp: a soft herbal-floral. I think I can smell lavender here?

Wet on skin: lavender and thyme, maybe some sage? It's a warm herbal mixture with a hint of floral.

Dry on skin: mmm, not bad! I smell green herbs-possibly rosemary, sage and thyme, and also some herbal floral notes like geranium and maybe lavender. I think there's a geranium note in here? I also get a hint of a lemony herb, maybe verbena? This lemony note strengthens gradually. The scent is mainly herbal with hints of citrus to it. There may be a hint of dry rose to it as well.

After a while: as it dries down, it gets a bit fainter and all the notes merge together. At this point, I can't tell what I'm smelling-I can't recognise any notes, other that it smells like a soft herbal scent with hints of green, hints of lemon, and something sweet and floral. I do still get geranium here, I think, and I think I can detect the faintest trace of something aquatic, or ozone perhaps? There's something faintly watery in here…

Yup, it's ozone alright…fresh and clean, almost like laundry but not soapy or sharply powdery. It's also quite lemony/grapefruit-y. This is bearable. Yet there's still warmth to it. It's humid and wet, yet crisp. I smell rain here. Brings to mind clean sheets in a fragrant garden that have just dried but will be soaked again by a coming thunderstorm.

This scent gets fresher over time, it's a very cool, clean, almost piercing aquatic-ozone scent, with a hint of green at the base, like wet, cold leaves and clean, clear rain water.

After a few hours, the scent settles into fresh water flowing over a soft waxy white floral note, maybe lily. I also get a hint of violet as well. It's also a bit ozonic, and reminds me very, very slightly of Numb, but less intense, and a bit 'wetter'.

Verdict: this is another unusual, almost confusing scent, but it smells good! It's confusing because I cannot recognise the notes properly at times, other than herbs and little hints of floral here and there, maybe something lemony. It's a warm, soft, balmy herbal mix. But over time, these random notes merge and change, the scent takes on another tone altogether and it begins to turn from a herbal scent to an aquatic/airy one. A soft, crisp ozone note rises out of the mass of herbs and the scent becomes crisp, cool and clean with a touch of citrus-y tang and fresh air and water. Refreshing, yet warm, almost like a summer rain storm…this is what I wished Tempest smelt like on me. I get green notes as well, and a hint of white flowers and violet at the end, and a delightful watery note which smells clear and pure. It's an interesting scent, that's for sure-not one I'd get a bottle of but I really like the way that it smells of rain and ozone without being soapy. One for summer.

Emoticon rating: :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the imp: Clean with something sharp as the top note. I think I smell ylang ylang, but I'm not sure.

Wet: Light and soapy. A bit floral.

Dry: Very soapy.

There is almost no throw to this. It's hardly there to begin with, and it's gone within half an hour.

Thaumiel does not go soapy on me as it did for a lot of people, but this is intensely powdery on me.

First on, I'm getting a very balmy lemon fragrance... a soft, subdued sort of lemon, not at all sharp or overbearing. Also, perhaps a bit of sweet, herbal, powdery lavender.

I lose the ability to distinguish any one note in the drydown, it just smells like a soft powder with a hint of sweetness on me.

Nothing about this really wows me, but it's not a bad smell either.

Thaumiel is flowery and diffuse---it has a lot of throw and it smells like a breeze coming off a meadow of wildflowers. Another very pretty floral that smells clean and light. There's a note in here that reminds me of Mock Orange, and that makes me happy.

Both in the vial and on me, I definitely get something from it that yells "male" at me. Lavender and a hint of citrus is what I mainly get, with some florals and maybe a tiny hint of musk underneath.

I already quite like this on me, but I think I will have to report back after experimenting with it on the husband, since it would probably be quite awesome on him if his skin doesn't eat it up like it does so many other blends...

It's definitely on my "strongly consider reorder" list already.

at first: a bit of sharp bergamot and some lovely, dark flowers.

on: definitely heavy flowers. nighttime flowers. there's a hint of something sweet underneath this...maybe vanilla or tonka. the bergamot is there, but in the background, thankfully.

half an hour later: tonka and flowers.

2 hours later: a soapy floral with a bit of sweetness.

overall: this bergamot went funny on me, but i loved the rest of the notes in this blend.

Thaumiel - I smell a soapy floral in the vial, but as soon as I apply it, the soapiness oddly dissipates, leaving behind some kind of floral (no clue which one) that is bright yellow with a bitter of bitter green (similar to dandelion, but not). It is also just the very slightest bit resinous, like a touch of amber may be in this blend. This is a pretty common scent -- it reminds me of most of the department store fragrances that lack anything unique about them. Sorry to say, but I'm not impressed. However, on the good side, it does have a nice level of throw and good staying power.

wet: ozoney, but also something a bit smokey in the background

dry: still very sharp ozone, but the "smokey" has gone and turned very plastic-smelling. I'm not a fan of ozones, so this one is not for me.

I get "hot bathroom while using shampoo" smell from Thaumiel until it dries down to "something burnt". That could be pretty hellish - what you think is a nice hot shower is really a pyre. Fits with the concept.

Edited by themerrybaker

First sniff: This one gives me the same “hollow” impression as Golachab. I wonder if they share ingredients. It’s a bit powdery, too.

Wearing: Definitely powdery. Dang.

I have no idea how to describe this. All I know is that something about this scent turns me off. Maybe because it smells sort of sour, like some weird herb. I don't fancy keeping my nose next to my arm to try to figure out what's in this because it's just not the kind of scent I want to smell. Don't like it.

This is clean cat smell! I was all set to reply with something pithy about notes and throw and wearlength, but I'm smelling it and realising, "Wow, this is post-bath cat." In fact, it smells just like my childhood friend Pooka.

I never thought I'd appreciate a vial of washed feline aroma, but this is very...um...unique, and I actually like it enough to keep it. Nifty.

there is something smoky, or some kind of light musk. a little floral, and citrus/lemon - if it is lemon, it's probably one of the nicest lemons i've smelled, as it doesn't go all 'pledge/cleaner' and instead goes in the lemon sorbet direction :P. i definitely get a hint of some kind of powdery smell (yeah, clean cat!) but it isn't overwhelming to me. there is definitely something masculine to it but i don't know what, could be lavender since it's a touch herby, but i have no idea as lavender is either fine on me, or smells like i poured acetone into a cat box and rolled around in it (the latter of which definitely isn't the case here.)

i didn't really know what to expect because of the reviews, my hopes weren't very high since i don't like 'soapy' smells.. but this is actually really nice! i hope i can acquire more of it at some point. have yet to run into one of these scents that i don't like.

Hmmm. This one is an odd one. It's got this green, fresh floral aspect and underneath, this smoky, gritty base. It's like it tries to reel you in with the nice springiness of it and then hits you with the smoky core.