Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Clockwork

Monster Bait: Underpants

Who doesn't want a monster in their pants? Sexy sugar-smeared saffron sandalwood over lickable vanilla cream with a splash of butter rum.

Bottle: butter rum, a little sweet
Wet: vanilla sneaks in, and a hint of saffron..a dessert, yes, but more savory than sweet, I think.
Dry: glorious sandalwood, a little sweet, a little creamy (and the vanilla didn't amp this time! w00t! and the sugar didn't morph!), but as the rum backs off considerably the sandalwood takes over and struts its stuff.
Later: I recall seeing this, but foody scents don't work on me, so I didn't order. Then I had the opportunity to get some, but begged off because I assumed this would be terrible on me (and underbed and closet certainly were, I got sniffies of those in various swaps by that time). And I was stupid. This is fantastic, sandalwood with a kick! WAH!

(but massive huggles to my switch witch for sending me a decant!)

Through a barter, I got some of this...and it's just *okay* on me. The saffron/sandalwood/rum combo is doing something odd and unappealing...off to swaps!

Well, this is my first time doing this so it won't be too detailed, but I have to because I'm so surprised at this one. I'm not really a foody person, but this is a glorious muted sweet scent. In the bottle it smelled great, but I was a little nervous because of the overwhelming sugar aroma wafting out. On my skin, it has mellowed into a sweet carmel over a slightly powdery (in a good way) sandalwood. It lasts, but is not overpowering. I'm happy that I have another imp of this coming my way :P

This is really a delicate, lovely scent! I was expecting a more foody scent so I was rather surprised to get such a soft, sweet floral result on my skin. It doesn't last long on me though, which is the only sad part. This is like the perfect scent for someone who is afraid of perfumes or smelling too strong. The gentle, sweet saffon is just gorgeous. Beautiful. :P

Unfortunately, I never got any saffron from this. What I primarily got this was butterscotch with a slight hint of booziness (I suppose that was my skin's interpretation of butter rum and vanilla cream). Throw and duration were moderate. This was nice but not a favorite. Since I prematurely bought a bottle, I suppose I'll try this again with a heavier application.

i'm surprised, i actually like this one. foody scents often go bad, but this one is nice. it's more foody-perfumey like 13 is, and i can wear those kind of scents. i cant pick out any specific notes, i can just tell that this smells like a perfumey, slightly caramelly vanilla. very nice. all i got was a sniffie with enough to try a few times, but maybe i'll try to track down more someday.

When this was wet after first putting it on, I though "ok"... After a while, I caught myself thinking "what is that amazing smell" only to realize it was the Underpants I had just put on! Once this is dry, it's fantastic foody-spicy-boozy goodness! It's very warm and a little sweet, so I can see this being a favourite fall and winter scent for me.

Wet: Butter-rum.

First on: Saffron-sprinkled, buttery sugar cookies.

Dry: The boozy feeling of rum is popping out, but it's still mostly saffrony and very buttery sugar cookies. It's very nice, and I'm glad I had a testable sniffy, but I'm in no hurry to bend over backwards finding more. :P

What an odd little scent!

Its so light on it almost disappears. But then I find a vanilla/cream/sugar/rum/dusty/warm waft of scent rising from nowhere (wore it to work last night and it wafted for about 5 hours before vanishing....but then, I have to wash my hands/wrists frequently at work)...when I sniff my wrist I have to get right to the skin to smell it....but it DOES waft (a really, really weird thing....one usually thinks of "wafting" scents as being MUCH easier to smell close to the skin)! There is an exotic/dusty smell that I think is the saffron.

I'm thinking this'll be a special occasion/scent locket scent since I really have to slather to get good effect.

I agree with the above poster who said it was like orange label 13 (ah, 13, one of my favorites in white OR orange dress!) a scent with foody elements that isn't really foody at all when it comes right down to it.

Verdict?....I like it alot! Not enough to track down more bottles (it just doesn't have enough "OMPH!"), but I'm glad I did find a good deal on a mostly full bottle. :P

*Edit...the more I sniff myself, the more I like this....however, let me reiterate that its a GOOD thing its such a light scent....makes me less likely to sell my soul to buy more!!!

Edited by Bulletslc

In the imp: Sweet, woody (almost smoky), and definitely boozy.

On, wet: Mmm, desert. Someone's smoking a ciagr, but far, far away. No booziness now, which is a relief because it was seriously almost pure booze in the imp.

Drying: Vanilla and wood. Warm and sexy.

Final Verdict: This is delicious, and a more 'mature' Monsterbait than Bloody Mary. I'll definitely use the imp.

This is gorgeous.

Wet: It's sweet vanilla and butter rum. It's not frosting sweet, but it's definitely on the foody side, and I spent several moments really wanting to lick my wrist.

Dry: This is when the sandalwood comes out and the scent goes from comforting to sexy. This smells decadent.

In the Bottle: Rum, rum, get your rum

On me: Butterscotch and flowers

Later: Muted flowers and sugar

It's pleasant, but I was overhyped. It's not the dream BPAL I was hoping for.

In the bottle, hello butter rum! It smells just like butter cookies with a boozy background.

On my skin, it got a lot less sweet, more spicy... of course, sandalwood amps like crazy on me (I love the way that Eden smells in the bottle but on me it's pure sandalwood). So after a while, this scent is almost completely sandalwood, though the hint of saffron and vanilla actually makes it really nice. But by the time it dries down it's not foody at ALL.

I'm actually kind of relieved that I'm not in LOVE with this scent. I still prefer Underbed. :P

I got this as a frimp in an order I got from the ever-generous raspberryswirlgirl. Foody scents aren't really my thing, but I thought I should try it.

In the vial: Chocolate martini! I'm a bit at a loss as to why I'm getting chocolate even though the notes listed don't have any chocolate. There's a definite boozy scent in there; must be the rum.

Wet: More vanilla now. I think this combined with the sandalwood was what was giving me a "chocolate-y" impression before. This is a rum-soaked pound cake on a sandalwood plate. Mmmmm.

Drydown: Still "dessert"-y. Again, not my thing (although Bear loves it when I smell like sweet things) so maybe I'll keep it around. :P

In the bottle: Yum yum butter rum!

Wet: Oh this is sweeeet and delicious. It's boozy, creamy, with swirls of vanilla and caramel.

Dry: :P This is incredible. Sweet, gorgeous, and sexy. Now to try and track down a big bottle. Woe!

In Imp: Sweet vanilla with smoky sandalwood.

Wet: The same, with an undertone of that rum.

½ Dry Down: Ok. I’m not married to it. It’s fun in the imp, but I wouldn’t buy a bottle. Probably because I despise anything that smells like rum.

ADDED May 8:

OOOOooooooo I love this! And I didn't think I would, as anything with creamy or milky notes turns to barf on me.

The vanilla and sandlwood are such a delicious mixture. Wet it smelled just like a sandalwood/vanilla mixture, and while it was creamy, that addded to the throw nicely.

After an hour it kind of disappeared. :P

But that's ok! I'm happy to apply, wait and re-apply. Frequently! A keeper!

Imp: Very woodsy, clearly the sweetness of sandalwood.

Wet: Still very much sandalwood. Nothing sweet coming out yet.

Dry: Oh WOW. This suddenly transformed into frosting. How did Beth make sandalwood frosting? It even smells like the dry peaks of frosting - that sort of fragile powder scent from meringue? - much more so than oversweet globs of wet sugar concoctions. I'm not really getting any rum out of it, though the sandalwood seems to be dominating everything, even the vanilla -- a nice change for my skin chemistry, which likes to amp vanilla to extremes. It's very pretty, even if it wasn't what I was expecting.

Oh, wow. Ahania sent me an imp of this and sweet Moses on the Mountain, this is amazing. It smells like sweetness with just a little sandalwood under it. I am so distraught that this not only isn'[t available, but is apparently super-rare.

:P

Saffron and sandalwood sit just below the surface of a lot of creamy vanilla. It's lickable indeed! I do love this one. It's not quite as overwhelmingly foody and it's a tad sexy and cheeky (ha ha) indeed. :P

I love this one. I love it for its scent, sure, which is a sweet, soft, sugared vanilla sandalwood on me, but I love it more for my emotional attachments to it. I wore it to my dad's funeral and fully expected that to ruin the scent for me, so I sold it. But now I have tracked down a bottle again because it brings up my good memories of him and his crazy sense of humor. :P It's a happy scent and I'm grateful for it. :D

Where's the emoticon for my eyes rolling back in my head??

After coveting this stuff since I found BPAL to talking myself out of not really needing or wanting it because it was so rare and back again, I finally was able to get a partial bottle of this awesome scent. It really suprised me with the fact that it's not all that foody until long into the drydown, but that phase of lingering vanilla buttercream is the best vanilla scent I have ever smelled. It is so good to smell like frosting! :D

From the bottle to wet on the skin, though, this scent is very different. I only get a pinch of anything remotely foody, and a lot of warm, sweet sandalwood. I think I can just barely make out the saffron, but it doesn't make very much of an appearance at all. At drydown, this sadly gets a little sour-smelling, which has been my experience with every Monsterbait I've tried. I'm fairly certain it was the sandalwood in this particular blend that's the culprit (as I recognize the sour woody smell I've gotten from other sandalwoods), though from my experience with other MB's perhaps it's actually the alcoholic note interacting with the sandalwood on my skin. Thankfully, this unpleasant note hangs close to the skin; the throw at this stage is that fabulous buttercream frosting smell.

After a good 9 hours of wear, this heavenly vanilla is all that's left of the perfume, but Gods is it good. I would be happy to just tape my wrist to my nose, but that would make typing a little awkward. :P

I may never be able to get any more, but this bottle will certainly get a little lovin' here at my house!

I was lucky enough to get a sniffie, with just enough to test, of this in a swap!

My skin AMPS booze notes, so all I can smell on for the first hour is butter rum, thick and alcoholic.

After that time, the vanilla comes out a bit, but it's still very heavy on the rum. While that's quite nice, it's not really as nice as I was expecting, although part of me is glad of that because I'll never be able to find any more of this! :P

A gift of the sweet and generous Ryuk!

In the vial, I get some craving for PIE! (Say it like Cartman) I get the spices and butter rum more than anything else. On my skin, it still has a pastry overtone with saffron (is that similar to cinnamon?) and more butter rum with cream. At first I thought the saffron was going to be too much, but it mellowed. Very nice. Veeeery nice. A tad overrated, but very good indeed. Glad I got to try it! :D

ADDED 2/9/09:

Hm. This is nice, but I'm not crazy about it. It begins with that foody cream, and it becomes something sultry with the sandalwood element. Quite a bit of unidentified floral going on in the background and I'd lay money there's gardenia in here somewhere, cause it ends up with that slightly sour downturn I almost always get from gardenia. This is the killing point. It has a lot in common with Oval Portrait, which is perfection on my skin from beginning to end, and it almost becomes it, but for what I described. I'm swapping it for something I've wanted for a long time, so everybody's happy :P

Edited cause I was seeking to amend my earlier review instead of making a new one. Whoops, sorry bout that! Mods, please merge them.

Edited by Shollin

In the imp:

Something spicy and herbal (probably the sandalwood), with something very sweet.

Wet:

Mmmm, sugar and butter rum. And a hint of spicy sandalwood.

Dry:

OMG... sugary, sweet, and spicy... but with almost a minty element to it. I need this.

Yes, this is delicious, and yes, I'm pissed that I like it : -)

It's a perfect blend of sweet sandalwood, creamy vanilla, and an almost honeyed, mimosa-esque note that I'm assuming is saffron.

Holy crap, I need more saffron. (I just Wikipedia'ed it, and it supposedly smells like honeyed hay/grasses.)

Holy crap, I wish I didn't like this so much.

If it wasn't limited, and if it wasn't a cult BPAL craze, I'd still try to get some more. I have to say, and I won't admit why I know this, but MB: Underpants dries down to a scent very similar to Hilary Duff With Love. :P (Except MB is fantastically superior, that goes without saying, right?)

Underpants is more intense than I expected. I thought it would be more foody, and it's more of a woodsy, sweet, creamy floral. It's a scent that I would have to be in the mood for, I think.

Very nice perfume, I'd like to see saffron again! Don't seek it out if you don't like sandalwood, though - maybe I'm amping it like crazy, but sandalwood is the primary note for me.

4.7 out of 5