Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Clockwork

Monster Bait: Underpants

Who doesn't want a monster in their pants? Sexy sugar-smeared saffron sandalwood over lickable vanilla cream with a splash of butter rum.

In the bottle, it smells almost indentical to Egg Nog, boozy creamy vanilla. Yum.

Wet on my skin, the sandalwood comes out a for a few minutes there's something spicy and burnt. That fades, though, and dry it's mainly saffron and vanilla. Which is AMAZING. Really. I LOVE the smell of saffron, my parents were given a tiny jar as a gift when I was little and I used to just stick my nose in it and breathe for minutes at a time. Add a bourbon vanilla smell and I am in HEAVEN. The butter doesn't go evil on me, luckily, and I couldn't be happier.

Délicieux! Out of the three Monster Baits, this is the only one that worked on me.

Whereas Gluttony brought to mind shovelling dessert into my mouth by the fistful, Underpants is fashionably indulgent. The scent has a definite "toasted" feel to it, bringing to mind scorched caramel and pralines, and perhaps crème brûlée. There's a touch of vanilla ice cream in here, though I don't smell vanilla in the sense of Antique Lace or Morocco's creamy white variety, which I expected. I'm not picking up the saffron or the sandalwood, either.

When I smell this, I think of wearing silk purple panties and fun, heavy "status" jewelry -- Hello Kitty diamond pendants and "If found, return to Tiffany's" necklaces.

i was really, *really* hoping not to like this one, for the simple fact that it's so popular, and so rare that anyone wants to part with any :P i've seen bottles of this go for over $50 on ebay, so when i finally found an affordable imp, i was really just wanting to see what the fuss was about, but hoped it would be one that would not inspire the compulsive NEED to purchase a bottle, no matter the cost.

unfortunately, this is fucking wonderful. heh. now begins my pursuit of the ever elusive underpants bottle!

man alive, it's good. i don't think it's particularly foody, actually. it stays true on my skin to what it smells like in the bottle, which is mostly sweet sandalwood and saffron with a *touch* of vanilla, but not enough to make it gourmand. it's incredibly well blended, and smells warm and creamy and delightful. i don't get any butter rum from it, but that's ok, i like it just fine the way it is. :D the sandalwood isn't powdery, like it sometimes gets on me. it's *perfect.*

this is actually very sexy, so the name underpants is fitting. but it's also sophisticated. mb: closet was like a hot girl being silly, playing at being child like- lolita-esque, while underpants is her understated, grown up sister, who knows she's hot but doesn't have to flaunt it. does that make sense? heheh.

this is beautiful, definately one of my top 5 so far. a bottle must be procured, oh yes.

Mmm… very sweet and sugary at first. Almost a fruity syrupyness. The sandalwood is rich and spicy. Oooh.. and when the butter rum comes out? Wow…. It’s so sinfully delicious and foody. Spicy and sweet and just wonderful. I’m normally not very into sandalwood scents but so far the Lab’s versions have been very good to me.

I'm sooooooo glad I snagged a bottle of Underpants at Will Call!!! :P

In the bottle - sugary sweet creamy vanilla with a bit of booze - similar to my MB:Closet (which I adore!)

Wet on skin - ah, there's the sandalwood - gives it a bit of a punch. Where'd the booze go?

Dry down - beautiful true sandalwood with a sweet vanilla background. This is such a pretty scent!

I'm a foody type, so the description of this with the sandalwood didn't appeal to me at all. It was the rave reviews that got me, and I'm sure glad I got a bottle! (I actually went to Will Call specifically because I was hoping to get a sniff of Underpants) It's a delicious combination - girly perfumey sandalwood with a creamy vanilla base. Not too foody - so it should appeal to you non-foody types as well.

Hehe...I managed to snatch up a bottle of this at will-call too. It was the only scent I couldn't find in swaps. I wasn't sure at first if I like it, but now it's starting to grow on me. I was expecting something more foody, but I think I like what I ended up with anyway!

In the bottle: Oozing buttery rum insanity. Almost overwhelming. I didn't like it in the bottle because it was too powerful.

Wet: Swathy, buttery sandalwood. Tastey, but again a little overwhelming.

Dry: Now this is nice! Sandalwood, saffron, and a hint of vanilla. It's surprisingly elegant without being a typical floral perfume. It becomes less foody, yet it still has that hint of tasty sweetness from the vanilla.

This is definately a winner for the sandalwood fans as well as those who love foody scents, but want something a little more adult (read:sexy!).

Edit: I'd just like to add that this oil lasts for a VERY long time. I put it on at 8:30 this morning. It's 4pm now and I can still (barely) smell it. It's just devine later on. So soft and gorgeous!

Edited by Teggy

This is a lovely complex sweet scent that I bought because there was an imp available on the forum! I'm not always a fan of the foodie scents, but Underpants definitely is a cut above the rest. I get a boozy vanilla at first which drys down and the saffon and sandlewood round it out amazingly well.

It does last a long time and has a good throw!

I won't be pursuing a bottle at the current market price, but it's a supremely tasty little blend.

:P

Jenn

I managed to make some notes about underpants before I had to zip out to work... let's see if I can remember what I'd scribbled down.

in the bottle, there's a bit of a sharp tang under the sweet smell, but tis still way yummy smelling!

on, it morphs into a vanilla cakey smell, the sharp tang vanishing. on the drydown, it morphs again into a warm soft scent that's reminiscent of the original sweet, but it's got a bit of spice to it as well.

Nothing over powering, just harmony. it's a keeper and if this is revisited next year, a bottle or three is coming home to mama!!

:P

In the bottle this has a sharp scent over vanilla. A hint of butter, definitely vanilla, and saffron. Not too much sandalwood, and not too sweet.

On the skin the sharpness fades away leaving a spicy-feeling vanilla that's just absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me of Pink Sugar once it has dried down, but richer and more round and sexy.

After a few hours it leaves behind the most wonderful smooth vanilla cream scent. No throw at all at this point. Just a lovely vanilla skin scent.

The bottle... Too cute. I love it.

Thanks to lorajc for the decant. . .and Ah Xiu for assistance above and beyond.

Vial: Spicy vanilla icing. A very smooth vanilla with that piquant note of saffron.

Skin: The saffron becomes very dominant, I think this is the first time this has happened to me with a BPAL containing this note. I'm not complaining, mind you, because I love saffron, but this is different than I expected.

Drydown: The sandalwood smooths it out, this evolves into a skin scent with me, dry and sweet. It's sexy in the fact that someone would have to get very close to discover that I smell yummy (a monster would have to be in my pants to take the bait), I wish I could have gotten some of the booziness and retained some of the vanilla. It's like the last two notes disappear completely on me. As much as I love the entire concept, and especially the one for Underpants, its' reaction to my chemistry is such that I probably won't freak out if I don't ever manage to get a bottle.

Edited by luna65

Underpants is delicious. I'm not normally one for foody scents (they tend to to plastic on me), but the sandalwood in this one tones down the plastic note I usually get from vanilla. It's light and sweet, not too heavy (which I was expecting, looking at the notes). I don't get any rum from this, mainly vanilla and sandalwood, with a touch of spice from the saffron. All in all, I'm glad I splurged to get a decant when it first came out, but I don't think I'll need any more than I've got.

What can be said that hasn't been said before. This scent is AMAZING! I'm on the lookout for a 5ml...wishful thinking :P Even my husband, who isn't a fan of the smelly things, LOVED it and put some on. I wanted to eat my arm...and his arm too. A must have if you love the sweet, yummy scents.

I smell vanilla and sugar and cake. My mother thinks it smells like pineapple uspide-down cake. The cake smell gets even stronger. She says it's too sweet. My brother thinks it is overly vanilla. I'm glad I got to try it, though!

I skipped this when the bottles were offered because <good reason> foody scents aren't really my thing </good reason> and <dumb reason> I didn't like the name </dumb reason>. But my curiosity got the better of me and I finally bought an imp (thank you, sookster!). On first sniff, all I could smell was vanilla. Warming on my skin, the spiciness came forward to blend with the sweetness, but still it was mostly vanilla. I had a friend smell it and she said it was like Midway, but not so gooey, which I think is a great description. I was also strongly reminded of Antique Lace, though I have NO idea why, as they really don't have anything in common. All in all, I'm glad I have the imp and I'll definitely use it up, but there are so many other vanilla/sandalwood scents that I love that I don't feel deprived for not having a whole bottle of Underpants.

Wet this is creamy vanilla and sandalwood- yum! When first on it's spicy saffron with vanilla and a sweet boozy note underneath. It's more woody and less foody than it smells in the bottle. This is going to be a sexy one I think. It reminds me of Pumpkin Patch #4 (of course). It also has the same old books/sawdust note as Misk. Univ. and Beaver Moon. That note lasts for about a half hour and then it softens to a lovely sugary, creamy vanilla and sandalwood blend. Delicious!

Monster Bait: Underpants smells very similar to the other Monster Baits in the bottle - almost overwhelmingly sweet, with a smidge of booze. I was very hopeful, since sweet and boozey are two things I love in a perfume.

Once on, it had a nice throw - vanilla and rum with just a hint of saffron. Next to the skin, however, I smell like Indian food. The saffron is very strong, with nothing vanilla or rum like even peaking through. The sandlewood is putting up a good fight for dominance, though, and the scent next to my skin, while neither strong nor unbearable, is not pleasant for perfume.

Luckily, the dry down is quite nice. After awhile, it has settled into the same sort of vanilla that I get from Snowblind. No rum, no saffron and no sandlewood, but after the unfortunate reaction I seemed to have with the wet stage, a creamy, if plain, vanilla is lovely.

I think I'm going to have to try this again. I did like the dry down, but the early stage might make this one for the swaps.

Amazing, Amazing blend.

I am a fan of foody. I am a fan of sweet. And this one hits the spot!!

I got an imp of this and instantly had to have a bottle! Although, this was harder than it sounded lol

Even though there is that boozy smell, it's not offensive as in some other blends I have tried. This is mostly a straight up sweet rum and vanilla cream scent that just can't get any better.

Do yourself a favor and find an imp of this stuff!! (And a bottle if you're lucky :P)

I was sure I'd reviewed this....but I looked and didn't see one.

In the bottle: Buttercream, and rum.

On my skin: Pure heaven. This is the first of Beth's foody scents that has worked on my skin. It has a tendency to really amp sweet notes up to a nauseous level.

It had great throw, lasted for a whole day (though I slathered myself, so maybe that is why) and is a definite keeper. I was lucky enough to get an imp from a lovely forumite. (I missed the update, and had to buy it on Ebay. :P 3 bottles on Ebay)

Rating: 10!!!!

Edited by oceandreamer001

This is white cake batter with a shot of booze. I'm not into foody scents at all, and I wouldn't wear this myself, but I thought it was warm and pretty, and I would love to smell it on someone else. It's not too sweet or sharp. It's well rounded and very well blended.

Monster Bait: Underpants-

In Bottle: I smell vanilla, I smell booze.

Wet: Ooh, here comes that woody chocolate smell. And the vanilla's there, and it's kind of buttery and boozy. Boozy in a nice way. Are you going to get musty? Don't. We'll see. So far this is yummy and niiiice.

Dry: This has only that boozy bit of mustiness that scents like Juke Joint have on me--not truly unpleasantly musty, just suggesting tobacco and booze. Overall I love the scent wafting up to my nose--the whole effect is just delicious. Sweet and decadent and edible.

Overall: I really like!

This was an oil I had such high hopes for that I ordered two bottles unsniffed--one from a lovely forumite and one from ebay. And in the bottle, it is all that I hoped it would be--delicious, saffrony, woody vanilla.

Unfortunately, my skin eats this oil. I could barely smell it right after I put it on. :P

I think I must be the only person this happened to. So, even though I am usually a hoarder, I think I need to set these bottles free.

I'm one of those silly people that paid a fortune for one on ebay. I read all the reviews, and my impression was of an amped up antique lace. I adore antique lace, so I thought, wow, I MUST try this!

I bought an entirely unopened, untested 5ml bottle and waited eagerly for its arrival. When it got here, I opened the bottle, so excited, and sniffed. Hmm... buttercream. Sweet. Caramel. Overpowering. But perhaps it'll morph into something lovely on?

So I applied, and waited, and sniffed.

Gas. More specifically, kerosene. UGH. I put this on yesterday afternoon, and I can still smell kerosene on my wrists. I'm going to give it a few days and try it once more, but I think this one will end up going away. Just looking at it reminds me of how much I spent on it and how badly it turned out on me

Update: Well, I gave my body chemistry a few days to settle down and tried this again. Oh dear. It's as lovely as I expected! Its staying power isn't as good on me as others have mentioned, but on my skin, I smell like a caramel buttered rum sexpot! I love it!

Update 2: Previous gorgeousness was a fluke. This one's getting swapped. Bleh.

Edited by phedre

My very first BPAL bottle and my very first review- and what a scent to start off with!

In the bottle: Holy butter rum Batman! It's Drunk-Guy-At-The-Office-Christmas-Party Bait. Boozy and creamy and richrichrich.

Wet: Still rummy but the vanilla and sandalwood are starting to seep through. If I try really hard I can smell a tinge of saffron.

Dry: The rum has mellowed and just adds a richness to the vanilla and sandalwood. It's not quite foody, not quite woodsy, but a perfect balance of the two. I accidentally put on more than I intended (another noob move I suppose) but my skin seemed to drink it up so it wasn't as bad/overpowering as I thought it might be. It's soft and yummy.

Overall, I'm glad I splurged for this one. And my dogs give it a thumbs up too, I've been shooing them away from trying to lick me all afternoon.

I am in LOVE!!!!!!!!! Why do I have to be madly in love with one of the rare scents? Geesh. This is very strongly vanilla on me with a hint of sandalwood and what I guess would be the saffron. What is awesome is the butter rum. It wafts off of me in the most delightful way and gives me an aura of yumminess.

It is definitely a sweet scent but I love it. Then again, butter rum is a favorite of mine as is vanilla.

This one does have amazing staying power on me as well. I can put it on before work and come home from work with a bit of sugary goodness still wafting. :P

In the bottle: Sweet sandalwood with a touch of saffron, I think

Wet: Very warm sugar and saffron becoming stronger and stronger. There's a slightly citrusy woodsy scent from the sandalwood.

Drydown: Very sweet slightly buttery rum and vanilla. I can smell sandalwood and saffron in the background. It smells a bit rubbery to me, which is a classic effect of saffron. After a while, I get good quality bourbon vanilla, very light. The scent is pale cream coloured in my mind, like vanilla cream.

Overall: Well, it smells like a soft vanilla and saffron dessert, with a touch of booze and hints of sandalwood. I think I understand the hype around it, it's a foody scent that's actually *wearable*, it's not like smelling like a dessert when you have it on, you just smell sweet. That said, it goes through some rather icky stages on me, specially when there saffron is strong.