Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Clockwork

Monster Bait: Underpants

Who doesn't want a monster in their pants? Sexy sugar-smeared saffron sandalwood over lickable vanilla cream with a splash of butter rum.

I liked this one much more than I'd expected. After the first initial "foody" stage, it dried down to sweet and perfumey - rum, vanilla, and a little saffron maybe. As mentioned above, it doesn't last very long and ends up leaving a very faint vanilla cake crumb scent on my skin.

But I get such a kick out of wearing Underpants on my wrist. Edited by Shollin

In the imp: Other people have noted caramel, but what I'm getting is butter and vanilla. It smells like a dense, rich pastry made with about 2 pounds of butter and a bottle of vanilla. This scares me a little because my experience with butter notes (Jack, Gluttony, etc.) has been uniformly bad. This reminds me a lot of Gluttony in the imp.

Wet on skin: The scent is immediately less rich on application, and the butter tames itself into something more like sweet cream or perhaps clotted cream. The vanilla is still very strong, but it's a higher, thinner vanilla than it seemed in the bottle. No sandalwood or saffron are apparent at this stage. The boy commented that it kind of smelled like vanilla bread pudding.

Early Dry Down: Twenty minutes after application, this is fading VERY quickly. The butter is gone and I'm getting a base note that's more powdery than sandalwood usually is on my skin. It's still quite sweet, and there's the barest hint of something floral, which I'm assuming is how saffron is teaming up with the vanilla in this blend.

Late Dry Down: This scent is all but gone after one hour. If I snuffle my wrists I can still detect a sweet powdery note, but nothing significant or particularly mouth watering.

It's a nice scent, but I'm content with one bottle. It just doesn't knock my socks off, (or draw any monsters...or boys...to my underpants) the way Vixen and Queen of Sheba do.

Interesting notes: I wrote the above out last night and then decided that, since I didn't think I'd covet this one that much, I'd try a little in my bath. I added about 1 ml by my pipette's measure. I'm now soft and my hair smells vaguely like some kind of floral honey. It doesn't have any more staying power on my skin after immersion than it did with the dropper.

However, I also applied it to my wrists and the crook of my elbows after my shower. The wrists have done the same thing as yesterday, but my left elbow crook has concentrated the scent a lot more. There, it's a deep saffron scent made a little sweeter. I like it A LOT. Too bad it doesn't smell that way everywhere and too bad that my elbow crook has no throw of which to speak...

Mmm. I was looking forward to this the most of all the monsters, mostly because I thought the mix of the sweet vanilla and foody notes with the sandalwood and saffron would be delish, a perfect grounding of alcoholic vanilla with earthy spicyness...

Well, right I was...:P

And that's about all I can add to this discussion. :D

These are some sweeeet underpants!

On me, Monster Bait: Underpants (Husband had quite a laugh over the name) is sweet boozy vanilla and sandalwood - very rich and very indulgent, and super sweet. The thing I like about the Underpants is that I feel like I could wear it when I'm craving sweet baked goods and the scent would be rich enough to avert any actual eating of said baked goods. I think it's a bit too sweet for me to wear regularly, but it's perfect for the occasional foody indulgence, to be sure.

ETA: This is more along the lines of what I was hoping Khajurajo would smell like.

Edited by ayelienne

Underpants is scrumptious and rich, yet one of the 'lightest' dessert-y blends I've tried since Midway. On, it's sandalwood and vanilla that dries down to a second skin scent of rum and vanilla, with just the barest hint of the gorgeous sandalwood underneath. It's a little like angel food cake saturated with some heavenly rum sauce.

I could wear Underpants to work without feeling like I would elicit the kind of (positive but curious) comments I get when I wear foody blends with greater throw on me. When I wear Underpants, it will just be for myself(!).

It's really quite wonderful and I'm so glad I got a bottle.

In Bottle: Butterscotch candies

On Skin: YUM! Vanilla ice cream with a butterscotch/rum sauce. There is a very slight spice… not exactly cinnamon or nutmeg, but sweet. I thought saffron would be “exotic spicy” for some reason not this sweet yumminess. I’m not getting much of the sandalwood which is interesting since it usually amps on me. This is purely delicious. After the terrible chemistry reaction I had with Closet and the so-so chemistry with Underbed, Underpants is clearly the winner. This is a more adult sexy version of Antique Lace with no slight floral like Antique Lace has, instead Underpants has the sweet spice. This scent is a tasty dessert, I could drink the bottle (but won’t!)… This is an instant favorite and I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy I ordered 3 bottles. It makes me think of an adult butterscotch sundae, with rum thrown in. In matter of fact, I’m going to try making one so I can have a taste to go along with the scent. Good to average throw and normal wear length.

Edited by slave1

Holy wow, Underpants rocks. I am so, so glad I bought 3. I would have bought more if I hadn't been a wee bit worried about the sandalwood/saffron thing, but in actuality they are mmmm, so good. Three should be enough even a douser like me!

The sandalwood is a light, sexy one which smells great on me, and the sugar coating it is fantastic... sweet, but not cloying. There's actually a lightness to this blend that really is lovely. Yet it has depth too. It's one heck of a unique smell, and I'm sure it will be a huge favorite of mine.

I do get the Antique Lace references. Antique Lace is lovely but I sometimes get baby powder out of it. Underpants is deeper, less powdery, and fairly different on my skin- they're more similar in the bottle. (Which makes me think maybe I should put AL in a scent locket.)

5 out of 5, it's damn good. And I love the picture on the bottle!

ETA: It's not my imagination that this throws pretty darn far on me. I didn't slather, and I've gotten two compliments on it so far (!!) both from people separated from me by a counter about 3 feet deep. So yeah. Strong! But in a good way. One said my perfume smelled "restful".

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Wet: Mmm, smells just like Butter Schnapps!

Dries down with a sweet sandal/saffron/vanilla scent. Yummy and pretty! I wish I'd bought two!

I've been wanting a sandalwood/vanilla blend and ... this is it! It's slightly sweet, but as has been said, the sandalwood grounds it really well. Antique Lace doesn't work on me, so I'm greatly relieved that this smells different to me. Someone compared this to Morocco, and I agree, except that this is what I WANTED Morocco to smell like on me. I can't tell if it was the saffron or the musk that went wonky on my skin with Morocco, but whichever it was, Underpants hits the balance just right.

LOVE it. Wish I had dared to order two. :P

In the bottle- Buttercream and Rum.

Wet- Vanilla, sandalwood and a hint of saffron.

Dry- Creamy vanilla and a sweet sandalwood/saffron mix, with just a hint of boozyness. This is sweet without being sacchrine, and rich without being overpowering. Yum!

Whew. I love this scent, and it's quite a morpher. When I first applied it, I got a sweet, vanilla Beaver Moon-like hit, followed by some boozy spiciness. It was very vanilla and yummy for the first half hour, and then the sandalwood and saffron started to show their muscle. After an hour or so, the sweetness has become the undertone for the exotic warmth of the saffron/sandalwood blend. I can't really pick out which one is prominent, but it's a delicious, almost ineffible sort of scent. And on my body, this Monster Bait has staying power... it's been about 3 hours and it's holding strong.

I think this is a gorgeous scent, almost as gorgeous as a pair of saffron-colored panties with a hint of yummy vanilla lace! :P

Very sweet in the bottle-caramel and angel food cake. Smells delicious. It stays that way on for a moment, then transitions quite rapidly through a strong angel food cake scent to a sweetly dusty scent. This is where it stays for me, and confirms that I really don't wear super sweet scents well. :P

Nguh.

This is the most drop-dead gorgeous thing. Really. It is.

Sweet vanilla cream with a cakey vibe to it in the bottle - but on my skin, it does this subtle but drastic morph into a sweetened vanilla-sandalwood-saffron. I never got any rum, but that's okay. BPAL's vanilla is one of the longest-lasting notes ever on my skin; generally if something has vanilla in it, an hour later it's vanilla-with-stuff-underneath, and then two hours later it's a really sexy vanilla skin scent that lasts all day.

Pantybait, I'm happy to say, stayed true and lovely for twelve solid hours. No, I mean it. Twelve hours. And it was absolutely delicious. I reapplied before bed, because it was just that good (generally I don't do bedtime applications) and I could smell it on my pillow this morning. I looked like a cat with catnip.

The only sad thing is that I only got the one bottle, and I know I'll want/need more. :P

I get all the notes, but the saffron bit (the part I don't recognize, basically) is taking over, and it's not too pleasant. There's a bit of vanilla and sandalwood, but it's being smothered by this soft, fluffy sweet-spice. I want buttery vanilla cream, dammit.

Then again, it is that time of the month, so I'm hoping my skin will go back to normal in a couple days and I will fall in love with Underpants.

ETA: Ok, now it smells like the love child of Elegba and Scherezade. This I can live with.

Edited by faifai

God dammit...why is it that I only love the le's that I DON'T get a chance to order. Lucky for me, ABrokenAngel is my pal. This review goes out to you, homey.

Underpants is so yummy. It smells like light light musk, smothered with sugary, caramel-y vanilla. It's so soft and sweet--no florals out of this one for me. It lasts a relatively long time and there's no real need for me to slather--a little goes a long way, like snake oil. If you like foody scents, you'll lurve this.

I love it. I need more.

In the imp: Vanilla and caramel, yum

Wet on skin: Oh dear God, this is amazing! It's a strong vanilla - just what I've been looking for! No clue where the caramel went, but really don't care.

Dry: Even more amazing. Forget O - this is sex in a bottle. It's a very bold vanilla with saffron. Never tried saffron before, didn't even know what it smelled like - but it's amazing! Even 6 hours later, it's still a strong vanilla with saffron.

Overall: 9.5/10. Would get that extra half point if it was a GC or if I'd been smart enough to order more than one bottle. This is going to be my signature scent for as long as I have this bottle. Other vanillas have either died quickly on my skin or were overwhelmed by other things in the mix (e.g. O is all honey on me after 30 minutes). While this is a great blend, the vanilla remains the predominant note and isn't overwhelmed. Monster in My Panties is definitely the sexy strong vanilla that I've been looking for. OMG, amazing. :P

I have to admit, I bought this just for the name. Vanilla hates me, and I don't tend to like foody scents.

In the imp: Smells like a cupcake!

On my skin: Vanilla usually does terrible things on my skin, but this one is staying pretty good. It smells like a sugary vanilla frosting layered over a bit of sandalwood. There's just a hint of saffron underneath. I didn't expect this to be sexy, what with the smelling like a cupcake, but it really is.

Drydown: Sandalwood and saffron, with a bit of sweetness. I really like it at this stage.

I only dabbed a little on, but it's pretty strong, and it doesn't seem to be fading nearly as quickly as most other blends. I don't think this is something I'd ever wear, but it is really nice.

Edited by Ryvre

I absolutely ADORE this scent!!!

Wonderfully combining components of sweet, spice and *hiccup* rum.

The sugar is a white sweet syrup, not carmel or brown sugar. The sugar, cream, vanilla, rum and spice married together here make it one very delicious scent! The addition of saffron gives the Undies a mysterious *kick* that is really nice and sexy actually. You know how when you add a dash of cinnamon to some dish that you're cooking, not enough to really taste it but it gives a dish that added umph that you sense? That's what it is here. Pretty nifty!

Yet another fabulous creation from the lovely, talented and gracious Beth!

My new favorite!

Huzzah!

:P :D :D

Edited by VenusFlyTrap

In vial: Faint sugary sandalwood.

On me, wet: Sharp saffron and sandalwood with a smidge of vanilla and alcohol.

On me, dry: The saffron and sandalwood makes this kind of flowery.

Verdict: Not as foody as the other Monster Baits, but it does make for a lovely sweet vanilla sandalwood perfume. Not as sandalwoody as my good friend Velvet, though still nice in its own right. I think I like this one best of the Monster Baits. And it's also the rarest, damn it.

I second the bottle love! It's awesome and so cheeky...pun intended. :D

The first sniff was buttercream frosting and some sticky sweet rum. I figured this would be pretty foody but I had to try it. (I'm not a foody scent person.)

I was a bit wary since I have a rather dismal history with sandalwood BUT when I put it on I want to lick myself. It starts off creamy sugary buttery goodness with just a hint of musk. The sandalwood actually rears its head but instead of turning instantly nasty, its behaving itself. Perhaps nicely restrained by the saffron? Actually I'm rather surprised at what it actually smells like. I'm not even sure I like it yet. It's soft and musky and almost crystalline but with a burnt quality. The more I sniff it, the more I really like it. It's defintely not foody in the traditional sense but rather a sweet and seductive musk. I'm not quite sure if this is something that I'd wear but I'm going to keep it for now. I think it would make an excellent evening scent, especially on hot summer nights.

About a half an hour later it's settled and the sandalwood has emerged as the dominant scent with just a hint of sweetness. It reminds me a bit of my beloved Red Lantern but it's gentler and more subtle. Ooh I just love it! I'm so glad that I gave it a chance. :P

You know, I really do need about 12 more bottles of this.

Wet: OMFG. It's vanilla. It's saffron. It's rum. Fantastic.

Drydown: The vanilla stays really creamy and nice, and some parts of the drydown smell kind of similar to Antique Lace. The saffron kind of fades more quickly than I'd like, but it's replaced by the sandalwood which mingles with the vanilla beautifully.

This doesn't last as long as I'd thought it would, but I was pretty sparing with it. It's really beautiful. Like the lovechild of some weird amalgamation of all my favorite BPAL perfumes. SO brilliant!

I decanted an itty bitty bit of this onto my unsuspecting wrists.

In the bottle: Butterscotch rum vanilla. Yum!

On, wet: Sugar Cookie '0-Idunno plus sandalwood.

Dry, 15 minutes: Sandalwood plus Sugar Cookie, plus Play-Doh.

Dry, half hour: Sandalwood, a touch of Sugar Cookie, a hint of something spicy.

Dry, one hour: The sandalwood has faded behind a sort of cinnamon (definitely not clove) spiciness, which is also very faint. Ghostly traces of sweet cookie and the smell of a Play-doh cannister.

Overall: I don't know. I just don't know. This is very weak on me. On first try it gets an "eh." I'm wearing it again today to give it another chance, but it's doing nothing on me or for me. :P

I should love this. I love everything that's in it, at least in theory, and as far as I can see, most everyone else loves it.

I DO love the label--that's great!

But I don't know...I was a bit worried about this, because while I always think I'll love the foody scents, I end up rarely wearing them, and I think that will be the case with these underpants.

In the bottle its slightly boozy, and very like caramel--I'm getting the burnt sugar sweetness of, say, Hearth (05) or Midway. On, those notes are still strong, though I smell the butter rum more strongly, and its not like the drink (ie. hot buttered rum) but more like the the candy, or perhaps a cake. the odd thing is after a few minutes the booziness fades, and what I get is...something slightly butter mint--almost like Snowblind.

Am I on crack? Where's that slightly minty note coming from?

The vanilla is there, giving it the sweet, cake-like note, but it doesn't stand out as much as I had hoped--its not like the vanilla notes of Dorian, for example.

I never really get the saffron or the sandalwood, which is fine in case of the saffron, which I'm simply not into.

This does wear and wear. Nearly 12 hours later, I still get a faint whiff of it on my wrist, though now it just a memory of sweetness, like the faintest whiff of a lovely dessert.

Overall? It's nice, but as I said, I find I don't wear the foody scents that much (Bliss and 13 aside), so I'm going to have to give it up, I think.

Edited by cuervosueno

Oh my goodness.

Wrangled an imp, and I'm in heaven. Smelled great in the bottle, but it's even better on! I'm in a cloud of sweet vanilla and rum, a complex scent that I could just sniff forever.

Waaaaaah! I didn't find BPAL until April 14th!

Sickly sweet in the bottle, but on me it is all sandalwood and rum. While it was very pretty, I know there is another blend that does this exact thing to me and I'm not sure I need two bottles. Now I just need to recall which one it was...