Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Clockwork

Monster Bait: Underpants

MONSTER BAIT: UNDERPANTS

Who doesn't want a monster in their pants? Sexy sugar-smeared saffron sandalwood over lickable vanilla cream with a splash of butter rum.

This bit of cheekiness inspired by the mods on bpal.org!

I've never done this before... Am I really the first to have tried this? I got a bottle at the store yesterday. :P

In bottle: It's overpoweringly sweet. But in a good way. It highly reminds me of Miskatonic, with that drifting caramel tone that's both sweet and deep at the same time.

Wet: Surprisingly close to how it smelled in the bottle. It started to dry out almost immediately and is holding on to that creamy dark sweetness. It's starting to smell more like a really expensive candy.

After about half an hour: Completely dried out on me. I've noticed a lot of things do though. Even though I'm pretty sure this doesn't have parchment in it I'm starting to smell it anyway. It's like Miskatonic's twin sister on me. Slightly more dry and a bit more feminine and light. Though it's still a very deep smell. I don't think I'm going to need to apply much of this one for a strong effect. It also has a pretty good throw range.

Its lost a lot of the candy smell and feel that it had before and now it's more like only the vaguest idea of caramel is left. Leaving in its wake a very soft almost dusty smell. With some of the undertones I'm starting to wonder if it has coffee in it. Its got that same little sensation I also got from Mata Hari and that's the signature thing that reminds me of Miskatonic as well.

I think the best word to describe this scent would be rich, followed in a close second by luscious. It's not all that foody anymore but it almost makes me want to eat my own wrist. I wouldn't really call this a plain smell it's more as if the component parts of it are so alive with color and depth that there don't need to be many of them for it to blend into this amazing scent.

(Mods, please add description. I couldn't find one. Thank you in advance.)

ETA description - clover

Edited by Shollin

i'm so happy that beth is make more foody scents lately because i loves me some sugar and good eats!

in bottle i can really smell the boozy vanilla cream but the moment it touches my skin the sandalwood shows up, sandalwood has a very nostalgia place in my heart, so i'm happy. :P

"hello saffron, the most expensive spice in the world!"

when it dries the sandalwood becomes kinda powdery and sweet.

NOTE: to all you bpalers that don't do foody. don't let the smell out of the bottle scare you, try it on then decide. my husband, who's signature scent is morocco, told me he likes underpants better. :D i'm going to have to hide this!

Edited by graycat

under.jpg

I am terrible at picking out individual notes, but I definitely smell a sweet, rich caramel flavor. Clockwork's description of this as very expensive candy is accurate. This isn't a cheap generic sugar scent, but a rich, full-bodied, creamy caramel. It's the first BPAL that made me say I MUST bathe myself in this scent. Midway was the only other one that made me drool just from sniffing the bottle, but I think that the Underpants are winning this battle royale. To be fair, I will have to test them head to head. Midway seems like the fun little sister while the Underpants are the more sophisticated (in a complex way) big sis. Delicious!

After about an hour, the scent fades to a papery almost powdery remnant of its former self. It's still yummy but nothing compared to what it smells like straight out of the bottle.

I apologize for the fuzzy picture, but since my digital camera is broken I had to borrow one I'm not familiar with to take this picture. I wanted to at least give an idea of how awesome the label is.

:P

saffron is my favorite spice, and i've yet to find a blend that smells like it on me.

so, i swapped for Underpants hoping and praying.

in the bottle it was all rummy cake. YUM.

on me it was soap. sandlewood soap.

:D

n.

Looking at the notes, I knew this one would be a risk due to the sandalwood, but who am I to resist ze Underpants?

Sandalwood has a tendency to turn insanely oaky and dry on me, and when I first smeared this on, that's what I got. My heart started to sink, honestly, but underneath was this enchanting, rich vanilla-cream smell, so I soldiered on.

Oh lord am I glad I did!

When this warms to my skin I get sweet vanilla-cream in the bucketloads, but it somehow manages not to be cloying. Some BPAL cream scents are too much for me but this is sweet, soft, and mouth-wateringly good without being too much of a good thing. I can definitely detect the spicy-saffron sandalwood beneath but it's a complimentary, and understated, bite to the gooey cream.

The rum note is very subtle on me, which suits me just fine. I do like some booze notes and the heady booze of Grand Guignol is a huge favourite of mine, but sometimes understated booze is just what you need.

I LOVE this scent so much! And to think that I initially though food scents were not for me! :P

I sort of wish I'd bought another bottle of this now. . . .

Oh dear gods...

In the bottle: Thick, gooey butter cream and vanilla.

Initial Impression: I need a mop to wipe the drool.

Wet: Warm, boozy butter cream and sugar - slightly caramelized, but that's my chemistry doing that. It happens - usually the sugar note goes straight to burning plastic with me. This time its tempered with vanilla, which is a-ok. It means I can actually wear it without fearing that I smell like tire-on-the-barbeque.

Drydown: Much of the same as in the wet stage. It doesn't have a lot of throw, surprisingly, I thought it might get stronger, but it’s not happening. Vanilla starts to dominate in the last leg as the caramelized sugar takes a backseat. In brief: WHOOPEEEE! I can actually wear it!

Edit: About fifteen minutes in I get a bit of that woodsy sandalwood, but it's definitely not the dominant note in here. No saffron, though, sadly.

Damn, that's yummy. It's slightly boozy, and oh so delicious!

All you gourmand lovers, I see why you've been fighting to get your hands on a bottle - and I genuinely hope you guys do. I find this to be... not simpler, not less complex, but more subdued than the other monsterbaits. I appreciate Underpants' no-frills (pardon the pun) beauty. It's scrumptious.

4.5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrrrve

Edited by Medici

In the bottle: It's a caramel monster apparently -- VERY strong dark caramel smell.

Wet: Wow, this is complex as soon as it hits my skin; sandalwood and saffron immediately appear to tone down the caramel. A bit of a caramel corn smell -- I'm reminded of Gluttony -- but more sophisticated. Syrupy, but not overly sweet at all.

Drying: Alcohol note emerging now (I'm not getting rum exactly, but something alcoholic for sure), and hints of vanilla starting to appear, though sweet syrup cut by sandalwood and a bit of saffron remains the keynote. There's a slight harsh edge that I'm hoping the vanilla will soften.

Dry: Pretty much sandalwood and vanilla now, with a touch of saffron; nearly all the other notes have receded. On me at least, it's more subtle and less playful than I'd expected, but soft and nice; though there is still a very slight harshness in the sandalwood.This may be the fresh-from-the-lab quality, though. I think this is worth trying again in a few days when it's settled a bit, because that can make a difference.

So far, I don't think I love it, but I like it and will wear it again. I can see it possibly being one of the ones that creeps up my preference list, though.

In the bottle, this was creamy decadence. Let's try it out.

Aaaaannnnnd we have....dust.

*cries*

Still dust.

*cries more*

Faint suggestion of sugary....no. Wait. Dust.

*wails*

Is that sandalwood? Maybe? At the edges?

*perks up*

Sort of a sweetish and very very VERY dry sandalwood.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is when I officially decide to get a scent locket.

Mmm, Monster Bait:Underpants

In the bottle, this is a very gourmand scent. I definitely get a cakey, foody vibe.

On me the vanilla is predomnant, with sandalwood adding some interest. I didn't really detect much saffrom or rum, but neither of those notes are traditionally strong with my skin chemistry. Hours later is dried to a yummy vanilla buttercream scent, with just-enough sandalwood hanging out to make sure I don't actually gnaw my wrist off. I'm glad I got a bottle of this!

Wow!! Okay, I admit I've only just put this on, but I want to get a review down before I forget - if it does anything crazy later, I'll come back and edit.

In the bottle/immediately on skin: Thick, sweet, ridiculously rich buttercream, like Trick or Treat's more indolent sister.

Early drydown: Very quickly - within two minutes or so - it starts to morph fairly dramatically. The saffron and sandalwood (very well blended together, incidentally - I could only pick out the saffron because 'okay, that's not JUST sandalwood there') start to assert their presence, giving the blend a drier tone. The vanilla-buttercream-butter rum sweetness is still there, but it's more like it's painted onto the sandalwood.

So far, I'm finding this a similar sort of feel to Velvet, although the actual scents are fairly different.

ETA: After having it on for close to two hours now, I'm finding that the vanilla-cream warms back up and comes back to the forefront. The sandalwood is still definitely making its presence known, but it's more truly balanced now, whereas for a while there I thought my skin was going to amp the sandalwood up into the primary note. This is now EXACTLY what I was hoping for when I read the description - kind of sweet/foody gone grownup and sophisticated. Lovely, lovely stuff.

Edited by theshapeshifter

Underpants is by far my fave of the Monster Baits. :P

It's a gorgeous creamy vanilla-sandalwood scent with just a little bit of rum. The saffron isn't really peeking out too much at first, but it comes out more over time. It's not overly sweet or even overly foody, which surprises me. No one note is overpowering the scent, it's all blended beautifully.

I am a sucker for foody and vanilla scents, and truthfully I think this is one of the best ones I've tried. I could wear this all the time. In fact maybe I will!

I have Snake Charmer in my scent locket right now and Underpants on my wrists and I am in a cloud of pure heaven. These two go really well together.

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in a word or two: Sandalwoody vanilla.

In the bottle: Vanilla and rum! Kind of smells like a Creme Brulee fragrance oil I have.

On skin, wet: Vanilla, sandalwood and saffron. Very sandalwoody and dry, almost dusty. Sandalwood has the tendency to do that on my skin.

On skin, dry: Sandalwood, saffron, vanilla, and butter-cream, in that order. Not my cup of tea at first, but it starts to grow on you (or on me, anyway). The vanilla balances out the otherwise-too-dusty-for-me sandalwood very well, and it's very... well, not foody per se, but close.

Conclusion: When I first tried this, I didn't like it. But, as I continued to try it from my partial bottle, it started growing on me, and I can can say now that I really do like it. Maybe not desperate, spending-$70-on-Ebay love, but love enough to have hunted down more, with the idea in mind to maybe swap for yet more.

Edited by Aredhel

In the bottle: buttery vanilla booze!

On: the butter disappears almost immediately, and a scent emerges-not sure if it's the booze or the saffron, but it has the faintest cinnamony or gingery tinge-similar to storyville but more subtle. It's warm caramelized vanilla sugar-not caramel like Red lantern, but caramelized, slightly browned. Slowly the sandalwood emerges, giving this an almost powder scent, and on the drydown this is very similar to Antique Lace, but lighter, brighter, as if Antique Lace is a Fall vanilla and this is Spring, or as if Antique Lace is middle C on the piano and this is D. I like it quite a lot, but for those of you who missed out, Antique Lace is a very close substitute.

Mmmmm, caramel and rum. Tasty.

On: Niiiiiice, but strong. It’s like sandalwood on a high, I think that’s the saffron adding its spice. A little creamy vanilla underneath. And oh yeah, much buttered rum – there’s a strong whiff of alcohol there, and it’s a lil’ sharp for a while. But overall, I think at the beginning, the sillage must be caramel to others, as my girlfriend came over and said, “Mmmmm, caramel…Oooh…caramel!!!” I guess that’s a good sign!

As it dries down, it goes into a sort of woody caramel. It reminds me a bit of Dragonfly Blue Golden Oak’s sweet maple woodiness, but still with the saffron and sharp alcoholic tinge around the edges. It also reminds me of freshly perfumed underwear in wooden drawers! That boozy feel reminds me just a touch of the boozy twang in Smut, but it’s not really like Smut, which is more aggressive on me. I’m not in love with Underpants at this point, but I’m definitely liking it.

After a couple of hours, it’s softened most beautifully! Hmmm, this is the business! I keep catching hints of it about me. Boy, this stuff lasts a long time. From noon to late evening.

PS: This is wonderful in a locket. It doesn’t go through the woody stage like it does on my skin. I think I like both versions, but in the locket, it’s all sexy, spicy vanilla sandalwood with a boozy rush. I may not have found this out if I didn’t have to use a tissue to mop up what I couldn’t save after my horrible spill of almost half the bottle. :P Also discovered it’s nice in my hair too, so maybe the spill brought about a couple of good things. Heh. :D

I'm going to have to wait and decide exactly how I feel about this blend. So far I'm a little disappointed because the vanilla in Underpants isn't quite the rich vanilla of two of my favorite blends, Tombstone and Snake Oil. Instead it's a dustier, lighter vanilla like that of Antique Lace. This actually smells almost exactly like Antique Lace with a faint woodsy note. No cake and no cream, sadly.

I do think that I'll decant a couple of imps and hang onto the rest in hopes that it ages well or will smell a bit different on a different day.

Edit: A few months laterand I've noticed some subtle changes in the oil - it smells a lot nicer and richer on my skin that it did before. I'm glad I have some to age even longer because it does seem to get better with time.

Edited by tartsquid

This one makes me think of a cross between Misktatonic U and Beaver Moon. It is very sweet and tasty. On my skin a very slight grahm cracker note came out. Then once it was completely dry my fears came true. The vanilla went weird. The plastic, weird vanilla on my skin note took over and ruined a great scent. Maybe I can wear this in my hair.

There's a sweetass monster in my pants.

First Sniff: It reminds me a lot of Bearded Lady with more booze and musk. That sweet vanilla that makes Bearded Lady so delicious.

Wet: Ohh. It's like Antique Lace's more naughty, alcoholic sister.

Drydown: Mmm. Antique Lace and Bearded Lady's bastard redheaded stepchild.

Aftermath: It's a NICE foody scent that goes a wee bit floral but I have a couple of other scents that mimic this and would rather have it go to a home where someone would enjoy it more. If you adore vanilla florals though hunt down underpants!

I could hardly bear to stop sniffing this. But I had to because I'd put it inside my elbow & couldn't walk around at work all day with my nose in my elbow. Wrists, I'm sure everyone's used to by now ...

Anyway! The early caramel reviews scared me, since Red Lantern was so overbearing on me. But then I sniffed it - OMG! The most delicious rich vanilla, with a sandalwoody dryness keeping it from being too foody, with a saffrony tinge of spice. Saffron has been a bit weird for me in other scents, but here it all works! :P

Just couldn't believe how divine this was. A bit of foodiness to smell like rich vanilla deliciousness, but not so much that I got bored like the last few cakey scents I tried. I have a new love! :D

My first time doing a review...so here goes.

In the bottle and wet on my skin, it's very sweet/creamy. As it dries the sandalwood and saffron cut down the sweetness and blend wonderfully as the vanilla come out to play. I'm not getting much of the alcohol at this point, just vanilla, sandalwood, and saffron with a sort of warm sweetness.

Much later (5 hours or so), I'm still getting vanilla and sandalwood, but the rum is showing hints a little as well, giving it a slightly boozy edge. Very nice!

In the bottle this smells like boozey Mitzvah.

YES! I never got any booze from Smut (pout pout) but I get it here! 1 for 2 on the slutty scents is all a girl can really ask for.

It stays pretty sugary and boozey into the drydown, however, the sandalwood comes out and offers its little dryness to the blend.

It really does smell similar to Misk U + sugar - books and oak.

Of all the boozey, sugary, syrupy sweet blends that have come out, I like this one the best.

in the bottle: buttery vanilla sweetness, i like sweetness, this seems like it may be a bit *too* sweet.

wet:buttery vanilla rum

as it dries, oh my gah! gorgeous. vanilla and sandalwood sweeteness, no need to be concerned about it being over the top. it is simply devine. perfect. i love vanilla and sandalwood combos. they are stunning, and this is no exception to that rule. i am not getting the saffron, which is a bit sad as i love saffron, yet i can't complain because this scent is gorgeous, no doubt.

i creamed my pants over these creamy underpants!

As soon as I put it on, it's all vanilla and a waft of rum.

5 minutes in: The rum disappears and it's a slightly more vanillic Dorian on my skin. Really lovely.

After 45 minutes: The saffron appears just in time. That very distinctive dry and spicy note cuts the sweetness so that it's not too overpowering. It's absolutely unmistakeable when I sniff up close, but the saffron is very hard to detect from a distance.

1 hour in: There's the sandalwood! Rounds out the composition in a nice way.

In all, I really like this one, and I don't often wear gourmand scents. Lovers of Dorian (which is, like, everyone) should definitely try to snag at least an imp of this to try.

:P

sniffie from the bottle = vanilla buttercream frosting and rum candies!

wet on skin = immidiatly begin to smell the dryness of sandalwood, still creamy vanilla rummy goodness.

dry on skin = slight spice of saffron appears, rum backs off a bit, vanilla and sandalwood going strong ...

overall impression = :P :D

One single bottle, with quite a provocative label! Shiny and new type, too.

I prefer to call this Monster Bait: Silk Men's Boxers. Heh heh. TMI?

Fresh from the bottle, this smells like vanilla cream, almost like this liquid Irish Cream coffee creamer that I really adore, with a spike of spice that reminds me of cinnamon but is most likely saffron. There's a hint of rum or something alcoholic running under it all.

Time for the skin test. Wet on the skin it's immediately rum, like Elegba's rum with significant less coconut. This, instead of rising and becoming softer like Elegba does, immediately takes on a deep vanilla bean aroma, if that makes sense - like that 'hit' of sugary vanilla that one gets when you sniff just above a freshly iced vanilla cupcake. Over the first few minutes the alcohol note burns off rapidly and I'm left with a rather warm vanilla note, almost single-note-ish (not that I've tried BPAL's single note, caveat, it's just very pure to me) vanilla, with a base of lighter dried sandalwood. This isn't cedary, wood-shaving-y or too powdery at all! This is like rich vanilla extract.

Fifteen minute mark - the sandalwood and saffron are more apparent now. There's still the rich vanilla delectableness but the scent has definitely matured, and it now sits closer to my skin. What scent does reach me, however, is the most satiny smooth vanilla ever. It's like wrapping yourself in a cashmere throw. This actually reminds me of the aroma and taste of really good white chocolate truffles, if a touch butterier (is that a word?).

Man, no wonder this monster wants to get (into) my underpants!

Edited by Lycanthrope

Bottle: Yummy rich caramel-esque goodness. :P

Skin, wet: Sandalwood, hint of saffron. :D

Skin, dry: Still mainly sandalwood and saffron, but now with hints of butter rum and vanilla.

Unfortunately it's very faint once it dries down, and it only lasts a couple hours at the most. I've already had to reapply, and I only got it 4 hours ago. I will be keeping this bottle and trying it out again later, more because I love the idea of Underpants and I want it to work on me better, by golly!