Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Clockwork

Monster Bait: Underpants

Who doesn't want a monster in their pants? Sexy sugar-smeared saffron sandalwood over lickable vanilla cream with a splash of butter rum.

In the decant: Whoa! That is RUM!

On the skin: Pretty sweet! I am definitely getting the lovely vanilla cream with a burst of rum. It is nice, but not something I would wear regularly. Anyways, this kinda reminds me of a SO CT that I have though my CT is missing the rum part.

This fades pretty quickly on my skin... It has been around 20 minutes or so and I can't smell it anymore. :cry2: Well, I am kinda glad that this one didn't work out so well on me.

Monster Bait: Underpants

Mmmm... vanilla cream, saffron, sandalwood... This is yummy, but it's really faint on me, and has been since I got it as a fresh decant. I'm glad I got a chance to try it,* but it's probably not a keeper.

*(Ya wanna hear the story of how I checked the BPAL website on April 1, expecting an update, but didn't bother to check the forum where it was announced as a Forum Only oil so I missed it? Oh, I guess I just told you.)

This is pure saffron and creamy sandalwood. Before it's almost gone it gets a bit sweet. It s a sweeter creamier version of love's philosophy. This isn't as sweet as I hoped with how crazy people are about it.

Edited by BuxomM

Ok, not for me. Butter rum and vanilla cream = overpoweringly foody and sweet. Blech. I feel like I just ate a million cupcakes. My teeth are starting to hurt this is so sweet. I can see how this would be popular among the crowd though. I'm glad I got to try it, but I definitely don't need more.

In the Vial: Sweet, creamy sugar, or sugary cream. After having tried Love's Philosophy, I think I can detect saffron here, even in the vial.

Wet: Ah, the buttery rum appears! *licks lips* Yes, I still smell the saffron but definitely the buttery rum is jostling for attention.

Drydown: Mm, sandalwood regally floats into the room. Her mere presence causes the balance to shift and the garrulous sugary crowd now settles into a sweet and quiet murmur. Still buttery, but aside from the buttery aspect, most of the notes are now seamlessly interwoven into one creamy soothing blend.

Verdict: I see why this is so sought after. I love it, I do. But just knowing I'll never have even a partial bottle encourages me to use these two decants as swap fodder for something else that I might love yet be more attainable. Or hell, just so that others can experience this much-loved blend, too. I'm so glad I got to try this, and so glad that it isn't my ultimate HG. ;)

Hm, okay... 20 minutes later, there's just something "vanilla-like" there. And barely. I have to huff and huff and huff my wrist. Guess that makes me even more glad. Doesn't wanna stick around on my skin, then phooey! Be gone with you you delicious temptress!

A very generous person gifted me with a 1/4 imp. Tonight, I decided to test it. I now understand what the fuss is all about. :)

In the imp: Saffron, saffron, saffron.

Wet: This has suddenly morphed into something much more complex. There's my favourite yummy sugar note, and a delicate vanilla, not unlike the vanilla note in Antique Lace, but more obvious and bold. And also there's the butter rum, foodie indeed, but not so sweet as I might have expected. (And not too buttery loud as Jack was.) It's lovely and seems like it's going to blend together in an amazing way.

The dry-down: The sandalwood is a wonderful base note. The faint spicyness holds the vanilla and cream and rum in check, and makes this not so foodie, but instead something very elegant and sensual. It's an incredible and well-blended scent, and I can now see/scent why this is a holy grail for so many.

Later: Alas, this is fading away. Yummy but faint.

Edited by thekittenkat

This was one of my, it will be awesome but i'll never get it scents that I actually got a decant of!!

And it smells delicious!!

And on me................................. powdered sugar note of death. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Powdery sugar death.........why must you do this!!! :cry2:

On me, this scent lasts AGES. This is good, because I want my one bottle to last forever.

It's the most gorgeous vanilla with heaps of rum. The sandalwood and saffron are there, but they serve to mostly ground the blend. Mmmm. This is foody, but not TOO foody. The Beaver Moons, Gluttony, and other heavy foodies like that were too strong on me, but this blend is absolutely perfect. So good.

In the imp: Vanilla cake! I get the sandalwood too.

Wet: Vanilla! Oh my. When I first tried this it didn't smell so good, but now... yum! I think I've come to like sandalwood too.

Dry: Still vanilla, which is great for me. It smells foody, but not TOO much. Really like it. Damn. XD

I was frimped a precious drop of the Underpants about eight months ago, and today I used it.... wow!!! :thud:

It's gorgeous, and I know it's the saffron that I'm in love with....think Love's Philosophy meets honey and cream....

Am I the only one who thinks this scent is too sweet? I spent the last 10 minutes decanting 2 imps of it for a friend to swap with another forumite and I am about to DIE. It is lovely in small doses but I think I will go into insulin shock if I don't wash my hands... NOW.

I got a dry sniffie of this in a recent swap with devilot (thanks again, girl!). And what I'm smelling is this absolutely sweet, creamy, wonderful vanilla spiked with sugar. Can't skin-test this, sadly, but I've at least got to find an imp of this so that I can do so. And so, to the DISOs!

EDIT: And now I have just enough to test this. In the bottle, this is amazing; vanilla and sugar and cream and just oh wow. On my skin, this continues to be amazing; the saffron and the sandalwood are coming out, and it's just beautiful. Until... oh dear me. It appears there is some wood in my panties. That's... really unexpected. Especially since I'm a girl and all. oO It's dominating the whole thing, like wood is wont to do. And the loveliness of the panties lurks just underneath and out of reach. Sadness.

(On the other hand, oh dear sweet zombie Jesus, thank you for letting me dodge this BPALicorn bullet.)

Edited by Venneh

In the bottle: Cream, sugar, spices, hint of booze. Smells egg-noggish!

Wet on skin: The sugar is the first thing that emerges, with layers of vanilla, booze & spices in the background.

Dry on skin: There's the sandalwood! It blends with the vanilla, the sugar, the booze & everything else to turn into something absolutely dead sexy.

Final thoughts: A scent with cream that didn't go sour on me, that only is reason to celebrate! I was worried about this blend because I'm not fond of foodies (& I hate caramel with a passion), but I'm not sure Underpants completely qualifies as a foodie per se. It's vanilla, sugar & cream, but the whole doesn't smell like cake or dessert to me. It's not cloying either, it just smells really really sexy.

Try if you like: Smut (booze & vanilla), Black Lace (cream & vanilla).

There's no need to explain what it smells like, the description says it all. It's one of those scents where you can actually smell it all. And it smells so good :yum: I'm really grateful I got to try this.

Heavy vanilla buttercream over strong sandalwood with a bite of rum and saffron. The saffron explodes with time and the sandalwood keeps it dry. This is waaaay sugary though! I like it but don't usually wear this sweet of blends. I have a full imp of this and it'll probably do me just fine ;)

Soft bite of sandalwood with smeared vanilla, just soft and light, a bit dizzing as I put a bit on. Is there some opium in this? Making me sneeze, still quite nice however. The oil has sweetened out but I'm still a bit dizzy from it. I'm going to keep the decant but I don't think I shall be seeking out a bottle. I can see why so many people love it though. It's a super sexy smeared vanilla sandalwood that will only get better with age.

Thanks to the person with sent me a sniffie, I know this is one scent I won't be searching a bottle for which is good since it is so hard to find now.

On my skin, underpants turns dusty, sourish... okay that's about it most of the time. No more underpants to hang on mua skin. :ack:

ETA: This is the 1st foody scent to turn... this way. Most of the rest I've tried so far didn't have this reaction on my skin.

Edited by ScentedDreams

My first review!

In the bottle(or decant ,as the case was here): Sweet, sophisticated vanilla with a strong scent of saffron coming through.

Wet: Very,very sweet. Getting perhaps the butter rum element more in this stage than in others. There is a strong vanilla, very creamy and a little overwhelming.

Dry: I really start to get hints of the sandalwood and it is adding a nice aspect to this. Almost like the vanilla and saffron went into a sauna filled with sandalwood steam. This is a gorgous blend.

I keep sniffing my wrist continuosly thorugh the day and from a distance I get a sweeter vanilla, and a deeper, drier vanilla up close. Strong saffron prescence and it gets better the longer it is on.

This... this is my Holy Grail scent. (OK, I may have more than one, which makes it less "Holy Grail" and more "God I love this scent", but whatever.) This is perfection to my nose, both in the bottle and on my skin. The sandalwood lends depth to what could have been an overly sweet, sticky blend. Instead it's vanilla and sandalwood and creamy notes blended together with the lightest touch of butter rum. It smells like the kind of scent that you ought to wear if you're dressed in a floor-length, slinky dress with mile-high spiked heels, in a dark room with wailing jazz, igniting fire in your wake. It's that damned good.

I have a new Holy Grail quest out for Underpants. I was gifted a sample and it's as good as I thought it would be.

First sniff was scary. I smelled the same sweet cream note from MB: Closet which smelled a little funny on my skin upon initial application. After a few seconds, this exploded with saffron, vanilla, and butter rum. My skin loves this. It's soft and sexy and it made me want to cuddle with my kitty cat and just sniff my arm all night. I've had this on for about 4 hours now and I can still smell it lingering, but now it's a lovely caramel. There was a very short plasticky phase when I sniffed up close, but it's worth enduring.

You know what's sad? The 2006 April fool's update was the first one I ever noticed when I first took interest in BPAL but I was a wee high school kid with no money and no BPAL sniffing experience so of course, I didn't buy or try Underpants. I didn't think I ever would, but, uh... I guess curiosity got the better of me!

Underpants has the rummiest rum note I have ever sniffed in a BPAL. It's super boozy. On the skin it has a brief moment of that plasticky sort of smell... it must be the cream. That passes quickly as it warms up, and then it smells the same way for the entire duration of its wear length. A little goes a very long way and it lasts for many hours, which is just as well, considering how hard it is to track this stuff down! It smells like vanilla ice cream decorated with saffron infused sandalwood sticks, served up with a liberal splash of rum. Not gotta lie, it does smell delicious. Though the vanilla and cream and are the strongest notes, the dry woodiness of the sandalwood gives this a solid, perfumey base that makes this sexier than I anticipated, and the aggressively alcoholic nature of the rum note makes this more grown-up than the usual foody fare. As a saffron addict, I love the intense saffron note here, and it plays very well off the rum-drenched vanilla and sweet cream. In recent times I am amping saffron more than usual, which is fine by me.

I would slather this on pretty often if it was a GC or easily accessible LE, but there are zillions of other vanilla-focused BPAL scents out there, and I think that the not-quite-so-gourmand saffron scents I already have (Bastet, No. 93 Engine, Oblivion, Pallas Athene) are even better on me.

In tester: butter rum and herby saffron. Creamy.

Wet on skin: saffron, vanilla, and butter rum! Wowww. Beautiful vanilla, foody yet not. Slightly herbal, sweet, not too cloying, but very creamy. Dark, but not brooding or anything--just not bright, and not in the middle.

Dry: creamy vanilla, sweet and caramelly, with bright slightly herbal saffron. Oh my. I understand why it's so sought after. Definitely in the foody realm, but not in your face or cakey or anything like that. Not plasticky in the least on me, which means this is one of the few foodies I can wear.

Verdict: I was very sad when I finished my test on this, because I was after foody scents but couldn't wear many and since this was one I could wear...I stared at the prices this blend goes for on the secondhand market and, well, oh boy. I gave up. A fabulous BPALer gave me the opportunity to get a bottle though, at a reasonable price, so now I'm very happy I have some to wear and not just to sniff longingly :D

At first sniff I thought I wouldnt like this too sweet and foody, but when I put it on I actually really liked it. It had a sweet sugary incense smell that I think is very sexy. Im hoping wearing it will make the Dh want to bite me :blush:

EDIT: 2/17/2012 DH isn't a fan but I wore it to work last night and all the guys in the kitchen said I smelled so good!

Edited by Lilly

Hmm. I get the same chemical vanilla note that I get from Antique Lace or SS's Cenobite. There may be a hint of saffron. But it's very.. blend and meh on me. It becomes more vanillic, but there is no rum or sandalwood or anything. Oh well.