Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nineveh

Ogun

... Ogun's ofrenda is heavy and dark cigar tobacco, gin and juniper, melon, chili pepper and a touch of honey.

On me Ogun is a vibrant, sweet, juicy melon. And then, flat Sprite.

edited to add scent description Edited by Shollin

It smells like fire. Spicy and dark, but the dry and non-smoky kind. Good for layering, methinks.

No sign of the honey or melon anywhere.

In the imp: Melon candies.

Wet: Ok, this is going to drive me nuts! But, this smells JUST like a candy (now discontinued) that I ate in the 90s. They were small, hard, round candies that were sort of like those lifesaver "holes" candies but came in a box and had a tropical theme. The flavors were all tropical and the comemrcial featured kids dancing around and splashing into the water on a tropical island. I wish I remembered the name of these things! I feel like they were naemd after an island or...i could be wrong but, if anyone remembers the name of these thigns please PM me! :lol:

Yeah but, that's what this smells like wet. :P

Dry: Dry this is sour fruit with something dusty smelling in the background.

Overall: The wet stage was fun and nostalgic for me but this just goes sour and old on my skin. My husband agrees with me. Oh well :(

This starts out as a wet forest, then turns into a green crayon. (Really, I think I had scented crayons as a kid, green must have been forest?)

I never got a hint of this melon, or the fruit others mention. It was very very green on me. It's dry, green, and rather male. But it only lasted a few hours, and never really developed into anything. The initial "HI, I'm GIN and JUNIPER come to play!" was around a little, then faded, and I think my skin actually ate it.

Imp: Camphor... Camphor? WTF?

Wet: Okay, getting some of the tobacco now. Definitely getting the gin. No melon or honey.

Dry: I smell like a tobacconist near my office. It's a gorgeous scent and I'm actually kind of psyched that I can smell like that without having to sit around and marinate in it for hours because I don't actually smoke cigars. The melon adds the perfect amount of sweetness and I get a sense of spice and herb from this. It's an unusual but actually pretty glorious scent. The honey adds just a bit of sacchirine sweetness and I LOVE IT!

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I so was not expecting this. Tried it on without the notes in front of me and thought it would be some weirdo counterpoint to Odin. It's glorious, however, and I may have to have a bottle. It's just so freaking WEIRD!

imp: gin and melon.

wet: this is a very sparkling gin scent with a teensy hint of melon and a nice swirl of thick honey. this is the most accurate honey scent i've smelled in a while. this does smell very male, i don't get even a whiff of tobacco but the feel is there somehow. very intriguing.

dry: this gets a bit spicier as it dries, perhaps the chili pepper, but it's still thick and sweet and lightly alcoholic. a very different sort of scent.

(edited for spelling idiocy)

Edited by hkhm

This was a generous frimp from the lab!

In the imp, this smells a little like those syrup packets you put into soda fountains - the lemon-lime ones, to be exact. I say it smells like the syrup because it's too strong and not fizzy enough to be like the actual soda.

On me, it still retains some of this lemon-lime syrup smell, but with added melon and acrid cigar smoke. The result smells a bit like the toilet cleaner I used to use at one of my jobs.

As it dries down, it sadly stays just that: Toilet cleaner. The throw of this is so strong, it even killed the waft from my other wrist. I had to wash it off, and it tried its darndest to stay on - after five washes with soap, it finally relented.

So many people seem to like this... I wonder what's wrong with me that it turned out so disgusting? :(

An interesting compilation of notes...melon, gin and a dash of chili pepper straight up, please. No ice with that, bar keep! And while you're at it, add a drizzle of some honey and a tobacco leaf garnish, but singe it first. Strangest drink on the menu...

On me, this is sweet, dusty tobacco with a little astringent bite from the juniper and gin. There's something about it that reminds me of campfires at night. It seems like it should be masculine, and I think it'd be great on a guy, but it doesn't really have that stereotypical "cologne" feel to it so it works as a unisex scent.

I like this. A bit odd, but it's comforting somehow. I'm definitely not a smoker but for some reason I really like BPAL's tobacco blends. Don't see myself wearing this super often, but it'll definitely have its moments.

This is the darkest most fearful melon that I've ever had the opportunity to sniff!! It's melon (as in the melon found in cucumber melon) mixed with fear and tobacco! I'm not getting any juniper (or gin for that matter) but I do detect the chili powder (as I have the nose tickle sensation when I huff it, as if I wanted to sneeze :lol:) The honey is probably there, but the melon is such a sweet fruit that I can easily blend in with it. Overall, I really love this one!! It's fresh and dewy and hardcore at the same time! Winner!

I want to test how it smells on my husband because on me is very very dark and dry...

Like a dark coffee bar with no ventilation :)

Bottle Sniff Cedarwood and conifer needles. Tall alpine forrest scent.

Wet Predominantly woody on my skin with something warm and slightly spicey giving it texture. Reminds me very much of a xmas potpourri that my mother used to buy. Although I wouldn't say it smells like potpourri at all.

Drydown I'm liking this although something about it is overly xmassy to me. Cloves! Thats what I'm smelling, cloves. Add some orange to this and you've got xmas ornaments. I know it doesn't have any cloves in it, so it must be the combination of gin and chilli pepper that I'm smelling here. Overall I'd wear this scent but only at xmas time as it reminds me ridiculously of that, I doubt I will buy a full bottle of it though.

I got Ogun as a frimp. It's not something I thought I'd like, but I LOVE it. However, it doesn't last on me :cry2:

In the bottle: Gin. Spice, but I can't smell what it is.

Wet: Alcoholic, but I don't know what kind of alcohol. That goes pretty quickly and it goes into:

Dry: SPICE. Oh yum! Cloves and cinnamon. Mmmmm. Lots of cloves. Also a slightly fruity smell, like sweet cucumber, or unripe honeydew melon.

After half an hour: Still there. Dying down slightly. Spice is moderated by tobacco. Which is weird, I would have thought tobacco would give it more punch.

An hour: Still there but dying down. A pepper scent is starting to come out.

Two hours: pretty much gone. A slight sweet melony scent, some pepper and tobacco. I smell like old books. Which i quite like, but I just WISH the scent was stronger.

There's throw for the first hour or so, after that forget about it. I really, really like the scent--I just wish it had more stickability on me.

Wow, I am beginning to really adore tobacco. Ogun is an earthy, hot, dark tobacco with a generous helping of twisted red chili pepper. I'm fascinated by spice notes that aren't "sweet" or "bakery" type spices, so I'm very into the chili. A tiny bit of juniper in the backdrop of black, feral woodlands, but there's no sign of melon or anything else light.

Could make for a very strange perfume, and it kind of is, but I think it's very powerful and evocative. Probably pretty masculine by most standards, but so out-of-the-ordinary that it's hard to think about gender distinctions. I'm really enjoying this.

My friend Amyw brought her most recent lab purchase over along with some frimps.

I started opening and sniffing and came to Ogun. Neither of us were familiar with it.

Immediately I knew it SMELLED LIKE SOMETHING! I kept sniffing and sniffing the bottle. Finally it hit me--ginger ale!!

Put some on.

Wet=mega mondo GINGER ALE plus a shot of grapefruit juice with carbonation fizzies tickling my nose. It made me giggle.

Drying=carbonation fading, grapefruit calming down, still GINGER ALE

Dry for a while--a warm glass of ginger ale, still fizzy a bit here and there. This scent makes me feel giggly and happy.

I ran to the computer to look up the description and about died laughing. The description is so heavy and strong and on me this scent was so PERKY and FIZZY! All I smelled were the gin and juniper doing some bizarre dance on me. I really like this. :-)

Hmn... I get all of the notes, but there's also an underlying funk that is really not good. Something like spoilt milk, or some other kind of sour 'off' scent. I'm wondering if it's the pepper making it do that.

On my skin, the honey and melon and tobacco wafts around making an overall sweet scent. However, again if I sniff closely, that 'off' scent is still there. It's not bad at a distance, but I don't see this as being something I'll wear much of. :(

received this one as a frimp, so of course i had to try it out.

in the imp it's very strongly melon with a background of something i can't clearly figure.

on me, wet, it's rotten honeydew.

on me, dry, it's...old lady. there's some of the melony scent left, plus something powdery and sour.

interesting, but it hates me.

:::OGUN:::

Ogun has deep, deep woods. This is the stuff of a mighty Oak's dream.

There is a subtle underlying of spice to this that round it off extraordinarily well.

There is a dark, dark golden essence to Ogun that seems to be half honeycomb and half vetiver.

It would come as no surprise to discover a smidgen of amber lacing the formula and giving it the feel of a mutant version of Abramelin Incense.

In downtown Skinville, Ogun's Cinnamony spice amps by a power of ten; the Vetiver and the Woods take a backseat here, making an almost timid counterpoint to the spice's swell, and the whole thing takes on the glow of a symphonic, honeyed sunrise.

Ogun is a classic, spicy fragrance that would winter well for a merry gathering of friends.

Ogun is Crimson, Coffee, Plum, and Burnt Sienna.

Likely to be a keeper for Him.

4/5.

Was so looking forward to learning the scent of the God of Metalworks... :sigh:

I have one impression: smells completely like kids Flintstones vitamins on me..no richness, nothing pleasant, never changes...I forced myself to wear it 24 hours - no change at all...just this sweet, vitaminy, uckiness... at least my money went to a good cause

Frimp from the Lab :)

As a disclaimer, I'm probably the wrong girl for Ogun. I am just not that into smelling like melons. I don't hate the smell, but I don't seek it out either.

My first impression of Ogun is...melon soda? I don't even know if melon soda exists, but if it did, it would smell like this. I don't know what note is creating the sense of fizziness, maybe the juniper?

The "fizzy" note is the first to depart, and soon Ogun settles into a sort of melon-body-wash scent. I almost think I detect a little bit of orange. I definitely don't get the various heavier and sharper notes that others have experienced. It smells like...

Wait. It smells like White Rain Energizing Citrus body wash. (This is not as crazy as it sounds; there's way more melon scent in the body wash than the name implies.) Trouble is, I don't really like White Rain Energizing Citrus. I don't think it's horrible or anything, but I sometimes buy it when I'm broke because it's a buck, and I'm always glad when I feel flush again and can replace it with something I like better. Beth's melon note is nicer, I can tell, but the association is just too strong in my head: I don't want to smell like That Body Wash I Buy When I'm Broke. Sorry Lab :(

Wait, I think I'm confusing bath products I don't use often. This smells like Drama Clean shampoo. That's where I know this scent from!

Edited by lady_pandora

This was pure melon when it was wet. Then it went through the fizzy soda stage that other reviewers have mentioned, which I think was the gin and juniper surfacing. Now that it's dry, the melon has completely disappeared and honey-sweetened tobacco is dominant, with the gin and juniper still lingering in the background. It doesn't have much throw, and seems to be fading quickly.

Musky melons greet me with the wet stage, there is a bit of wood in the background but to my nose it's melon and musk. Mm, maybe there is a bit of moss to temper it but unsure. As it starts to dry down the tabacco notes come a bit more stronger, and makes the blend smell like melon smoke. I sense a bit of the honey, but perhaps the other sweetness is the Juniper. The berry tends to be bitingly sweet on my skin if it makes any sense. The Gin is coming more out when it's dry, so it's kind of like a sparkly smokey melon scent, with just a tiny bit of kick from the Chili pepper. This is a very good unisex scent, and I could see someone wearing it during summer nights. It has a nice come hither to it. Very nice, but not my cup of tea. I'm glad I tried it.

Ogun

This is a morpher. Starts out with refreshing green melon and turns into spicy honey with a hint of the coolness from the melon remaining.
Gorgeous

4.6 out of 5

I was frimped one of these from a sale.

Wet in bottle: Green and a bit melony.

We on skin: I can definitely smell the melon and juniper.

Dry on skin: Melon and juniper are what I can smell and I'm not sure that it's a combination I like.

Verdtic: I'm afraid this one is off to swaps.