Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
nineveh

Ogun

... Ogun's ofrenda is heavy and dark cigar tobacco, gin and juniper, melon, chili pepper and a touch of honey.

I was wary of the tobacco in the description of this one! In the imp, it's sort of slighly sourly sweet. On, I can smell what I think is tobacco, but it's kind of nice and deep. As it's dried, it's sweet, but not sugary and there's a sort of fizzy-drink smell happening. I'm not sure it's really cola but something sweeter – an orange float without really smelling of orange, if that makes sense. Maybe it's the honey and juniper together creating that scent. It seems like it wants to be powdery, but the fizziness of it is keeping it from going all the way there. It's kind of light and fresh on me. I think this is one that most people will smell and say “baby powder!” It's not REALLY baby powder, but it has a fresh powderiness to it that will make people think of that. I don't normally like powdery scents very much, but the fizzy freshness I'm getting is interesting. I will probably keep the imp and test it again. This might be a nice scent for summer. (Of course it's in the 80's here today, so it feels like summer now!) After a few hours, it's a bit more powdery, but still with the fizzy smell in there too. This is definitely not a bottle purchase, but I'll try the imp a few more times.

Bottle: All I smell at first is the melon, which surprises me. I think I can detect a little bit of tobacco and a teensy bit of juniper. This lingers in my nose for a really long time!

Wet: Melon melon melon. A faint hotness, which must be the chili pepper.

Dry: Tobacco starts to come out. No more chili pepper. Still an awful lot of melon.

Overall: Really, the only thing I smell here is the melon, and in the final drydown, some juniper. It gets 'greener' later on, but Ogun is still too damn fruity. I want more tobacco!

wet: sweet...and spicy. like melons & black pepper.

drydown: it turns considerably drier—almost like incense or a smoke scent + spice mixed together. it's a bit too heavy on the dry pepper note for my taste, but it's overall an interesting & unique scent.

When I first put this on, I got a bloom of fresh cucumber with a current of something darker running underneath. As it dries, the freshness fades away, and the tobacco really takes over, with a little juniper making it go strange. I don't really get the pepper from it at all, or the honey. I loved how this smelled on application, but it changes from a fresh and complex scent into a heavy, oppressive one.

This is not quite like anything else I've smelled. It's an equal-parts mix of melon, juniper, and smoke, meaning it's fresh and juicy, but also husky and rich. There's a bit of sweet pepper in there, too.

On, the juniper and melon take a front seat, with the sweet tobacco smoke swirling along in the background. This is an unlikely scent, not traditionally cologne-y at all, and yet most definitely masculine. It smells somehow intimate, biological, as though this were a natural body scent. It only gets more like that as it ages. I like this even better once the topnotes have faded, leaving nothing but the scents of tobacco, honey, and pepper. Delicious!

It has a respectable throw, too, especially outdoors, where the sun really seems to do a number on it.

In the imp: Ooh, tough one. I think that's the tobacco I'm getting, but there is something else, thick and almost like dirt. Mostly tobacco and that mystery note, maybe it's the chili pepper?

On the wrist: Tobacco and melon! They were combining to make that mystery scent, but now that it's on my skin the melon has uncurled itself from the tobacco and become a distinct note. That's very interesting. Getting the edge of the chili pepper now as well. Not really noticing the other notes much. Gin is there but only barely, just making this a little alcoholic. It's primarily staying melon, tobacco and now chili pepper. I think this scent is perfect for Ogun, it suits the description of him quite well. This is a very masculine blend, I think I'll try it on Eric this evening. The melon gives it just enough sweetness to make it unisex.

Dry: This is a very strange scent to my nose, very masculine, but not so masculine that a woman couldn't pull it off. It's thick, smoky and sexy. It sharpens over time, wafts really well and if you smell it close up it hurts your nose. The man in this scent is a comforting presence, capable of great violence but on your side. You feel safe having him at your back, but you don't want to cross him. Much like the God this honors this smell is very strong and not everyone's cup of tea. I know I probably would not wear it, but I can't wait to smell this on Eric.

WTF? I dunno what to think about this one. I hadn't even noticed this blend before (it was a frimp), and I was reading the description when I opened the imp. I read all that bit about god of iron, lord of war, etc., and just then I smelled the oil and ... HONEYDEW?

But once on, it makes a lot more sense. The honeydew is in the front seat for the first few minutes, to be sure; as Ogun -- the oil, of course -- dries, though, it takes on a complex throw that is pretty awesome. It reminds me of chili powder, but there's also some tobacco in there, and the honeydew never really goes away. It's sweet (in a honey-dipped way) but substantial and spicy.

I have a problem with wearing blends that heavily involve spices I cook with, though, and I know I won't be able to wear this one. It makes me feel like I'm marinating. But damn, it is good. I can't believe I haven't heard people raving about this one.

I was a little afraid to try Ogun, not only because of the notes (gin and juniper? chili pepper? Cigar tobacco? I don't knoooooow.) but because the oil's gray, which made me think it'd be really dark and heavy. When Ogun's first applied, my nose can't really grasp the scent. Both my parents said it smelled like baby powder/talc powder and while it didn't smell like that to me, I have no idea what it DID smell like. As it begins to dry, the spices move up front and my dad said he smelled the honey, which in this blend I think is always in the throw but not on the skin, which is a bit unusual for me. There might be a bit of melon hanging in there at this point, but if there is, I only smell it at the very end of the inhale and it's sort of cooling. Then I think the chili pepper settles back with the cigar tobacco (I think that's what it must be, it's sort of a darker smell, though not unpleasant, and probably also the gin and juniper). The honey isn't all that noticeable though I think it must be holding the darker notes in check and making the scent wearable for me. Wearing this perfume gives me the feeling that if I turned my head, Ogun would be sitting right there next to me. The feeling's a little strange, but there scent is quite nice.

Melon melon melon! I was hoping for more of the dark smoke scent of tobacco, but a spicy cantaloupe overwhelms me. I can detect a bit of the honey though. The boyfriend insists it is baby powder, but then the cantaloupe insisted he was wrong.

This is pretty funny. On my spreadsheet the preconceived impression I got from reviews was: "Strong melon with the bite of pepper and musty tobacco. Odd.". As I tested this one, that's EXACTLY what I perceived. So my review is also "Strong melon with the bite of pepper and musty tobacco. Odd.".

I'll stick with Yemaya for my melon, thank you.

I loved this when I first applied it. It was all fruit and tobacco-y goodness. Then it turned to soap on my skin and I was horrified, this is actually the first scent to turn soapy on me, and I am really sad because I like it so much. But at least I have a scent locket.

The "dark cigar" concept really put me off, but I'm glad I tried Ogun. The dominant note was melon - sweet and crisp and made me want watermelon Jelly Bellys an awful lot. As it dried down, it also warmed up. The scent was smokier and deeper - the tobacco I imagine. Not much chili though. While the strong notes didn't last long, it did linger forever and it really reminded me an awful lot of Devil's Night. Maybe I'm crazy, but that's what it reminded me of.

IN THE IMP: Honeydew with a dark, sweet hint of tobacco.

ON MY SKIN: A fudge shop!!! With a ripe melon sitting on the counter. I’m serious – it’s incredibly buttery, warm, and sweet, with the crisp, clean smell of the melon toning down the richness a little bit. (When I tried this a second time, I didn’t get the fudge-shop stage, only melon and tobacco, which was still an unexpectedly pleasant combination.)

LATER: As always for me, the juniper takes over in fake piney-scent kind of way in about half an hour, though there’s still a strong background of warm, smoky tobacco. Unfortunately, it’s just too strong for me, though I do love the intermediate stage.

now this is a unique scent. i can’t think of any other BPALs it reminds me of. the dominant note is sweet, juicy honeydew melon. the gin and juniper are there too, adding some “bite” and making it smell like some kind of refreshing summer beverage. the spicy chili pepper hangs out in the background. i can’t say that i smell the tobacco at all. this is tropical and fruity, yet so different from any of the usual “tropical” scented products on the market.

Based on the description, Ogun is so not something I would have picked for myself. Lucky for me, it came as a freebie :P

In the imp: I'm not quite sure why, but all I can think of is green tea. Not the kind you would drink regularly, but the concentrated flavoring I once used when I was manufacturing ice cream in a local store. Weird.

Wet: It's spicy, to the point of kinda searing my sinuses if I get too close to sniff. Uh oh.

Oh! We have smoke! And gin! I really hope that melon comes out soon, 'cause I'd really rather not have people at the library thinking I'm drunk at noon on a Monday.

Man, this is weird. I've got the chillis, but still no melon :D I like it, and I'm glad I've tried it, but I don't think this is one I'll be holding on to.

Edited by Canpake

My first impression of this is an ice cream parlor. Wet in the imp I get the tobacco but on my skin it just goes to baby powder. It's a spicy baby powder though, probably because of the chili peppers. I wish I got the melon or any of the other notes though. I also tested it on my husband and the tobacco stayed on him, but it was still a weird scent.

The tobacco in Perversion worked so well on me, I knew I had to try Ogun. It sounded so unusual that I had to give it a shot, anyway!

In the imp: Tobacco and melon and...I really can smell that pepper, if only a little.

Wet, on me: the tobacco amps up a bit (on me this is common), but not nearly as much as with Perversion. It lends a smoky sweet scent to the melon, which is juicy and a little tart. The pepper is still there. The dominant note here is the tobacco, but...

Dry, on me: ...as it dries the melon comes out a little more. Normally I'm not a melon fan, but the other notes keep it in check. I can't really pick out the juniper or the honeysuckle (unless it's part of the sweetness of the melon I'm smelling), but the tiniest sharp edge from the pepper remains. I like it! It's sassy but not overpowering. Great for a casual date or heading out somewhere with friends.

WOW. This is a nose-glued-to-wrist kinda scent for me! I got it as a frimp today in a forum sale and I think I have to order a bottle ASAP, I can't live without this scent! At first it's all juicy, ripe melon with a kick of chili- reminds me of those dried fruits with chili on them that I would always buy at the grocery store when I lived in LA (yum! I miss them!) Then as it dries it becomes more complex and the honey and tobacco give a darker, richer feeling. The melon and chili are still there but blend very well into the dark sweetness. I can't really describe anymore what it smells like since it truly is an odd combination, but it is so addictive and delicious. This is one of the more unique GC BPAL blends I have tried, if not the most unique, and I think everyone should give it a go at least once :D

:P

Bottle: Tobacco and booze

Wet: Tobacco and booze are very heavy here. I can get a tiny amount of melon up my nose, but that's it. This is not for me!

Drydown: The same, just tobacco and booze.

2.5 outta 5

Very melon-y at first, with an effervescence. Nicely blended, and this is one of the few booze and/or tobacco containing scents that I can wear without getting a headache. :P It's sweet, and strong on me, so I make sure to apply it with a light hand. I like Ogun in warm weather, which seems so far away right now...

Edited by maribouquet

Woo hoo, my first review. :P

In Bottle: Woah. Melon. That's all I smell. There might be something edgier in the far background, maybe the tobacco or gin, but it's mostly melon.

Wet: This is... busy. The melon is still really there, but it's like the tobacco, juniper and gin are trying really hard to catch up. No sign of the honey or chili though. Not unpleasant at all so far, but it's not for me if it stays this fruity.

Dry: Wow, this morphed. You can still smell the melon, but it stepped back a lot. The sweetness has mellowed out to something much better with the tobacco and gin coming out with the juniper just there. Occasionally, I'm catching the honey and chili now. I'm really starting to like this.

Later: The melon is barely there, with all the other scents mixing to create a nice, mellow blend.

Conclusion: I need a big bottle. Soon. And I'm definitely wearing this to work, should smell better than bagels. :D

Ogun smells a bit sharp and herbal in the bottle. It has an almost astringent quality to it. However, it changes a lot when it dries! I get a sweet, soft melon with a touch of breezy juniper. I think the honey ever so slightly sweetens the blend and takes the edge off of the cigar tobacco. This is a bit masculine on me, but still nice.

Another imp from Mary's newbie pack I bought.

Imp: Dark, heavy, sweet melon.

Wet on Me: more dark sweet heavy melon.

Sweet from the honey maybe?

Drying down:now the tobacco kicks in.

almost bitter scent from it competing with melon

Dry: Total sweet tobacco. Reminds me of

working in a drug store and stocking the tobacco

aisle

Throw:Minimal Stay: not too long

Overall:It's okay, but I don't looooove it.

Will probably put this in the frimp swap/gift pile

In the imp: Melons

Wet: Smoky melons with a blast of alcohol. A twinge of juniper.

Dry: Burned melons and pepper with a very notable scent of tobacco.

Overall: I would probably love this a lot more without the tobacco in it.