Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
nineveh

Ochosi

... His ofrenda is the soft shea he shares with Obatala, forest herbs, and sprucewood arrow shafts.

This is nearly all herbs and wood on me, with just a touch of creamy shea underneath. Not bad, but a bit too green for my tastes. Edited by Shollin

I can't pinpoint any specific notes in this other than the shea, but it is lovely.

My impressions are a sort of refreshing, creamy shea over a dusting of woods and forest, a touch of herbs, and maybe a teeny tiny fruit something in there.

I'm not familiar with any of the notes, but Ochosi has a very fresh, outdoors smell. Like maybe the forest after it rains. I can't really describe it better than that. Ochosi's definitely a gender neutral scent. I love it, even though it's definitely not a typical favorite. I'll definitely put this on my wishlist.

I did a side-by-side comparison of ochosi and buck moon. They're both extremely similar (and delicious) but ochosi has a secondary note that I just love: rocks. Wet rocks. It's very distinctive. I don't know how she does it. When Buck Moon runs out, this will be a lovely replacement.

Ochosi starts out soft, clean and soapy in a fresh laundry way. It's comforting like sinking into bed squeaky clean and cool!

Drying - The same scent, resting on very soft, sheer wood.

Dry - That soft, clean scent, with ivy and clover growing on a birch tree. I *love* how this scent blossoms and "grows" as it dries. The nerd in me is reminded of Druids, and I have named some hunters and druids Ochosi in WoW. I do feel rather protected wearing this, which might be why I wear it to bed sometimes. Will keep my imp and I would like to get a bottle, but it's not an immediate must.

I expected unisex with the lab notes for this one, but this one is definitely feminine on me.

Wet, it's aquatic, and there's a floral note here somewhere. I can't put my finger on it. I'm guessing that the herbs are sweet - there's none of the grassy green I expect from herbal notes. The shea rises up on the dry down, giving it a skin-like edge. Slightly salty. It's summery, and reminds me of the beach.

I get very little wood, it's dominated by the shea and the sweet, green floral.

I go from "meh" to "maybe" with Ochosi. It's lovely, but I'm not sure if it's me. I may hang onto the imp for summer and see how I feel about it with a change of season.

Purchased from kuroitsuki :P

Before we begin, let's note for the record that I have issues with wood notes which may make this one a problem.

In the imp: Mmm. Very green, clear, refreshing. No heavy wood notes, thankfully, just herbs. If I inhale deeply I can smell sweetness from the shea.

Wet on me: Smells like a cool damp forest. Very nice. The wood is in there but definitely playing back-up to the medley of green notes. This seems very clean and unisex.

Dry on me: The sweetness of the shea becomes stronger -- reminiscent of coconut -- and I can smell some grassiness. The wood is light and pale.

Just beautiful. A fine forest scent for those who shy away from heavy pine and cedar notes. The scent seems very appropriate for the loa of clear rational thought and understanding; I could see the Goddess Athena getting on very well with this one too!

In the imp: spring-like and aquatic at the same time.

On the wrist: I’ve read the description, and don’t know where I’m getting aquatic, but that’s one of the main notes I smell. Can smell the green, and a hint of the wood, but it’s definitely by water.

A bit later: Now I’m getting wood, and it’s coniferous, but it’s soft and I *still* get aquatic notes! This is really odd. It’s water, too, not just rain in a forest.

And now it’s fading. I am heartened by reading other reviews that also mention wateriness. It’s a very, very pleasant scent, but it’s got no last to it, alas.

In the vial - Very sweet. Almost surprisingly, given the description. Very slight woodsy undertone, but almost completely drowned out by the sweet.

Wet - Still very sweet. Candy-like, even. Not really getting any of the woodsy tones.

Dry - Sweet is starting to fade a bit. It's turning a little floral. Definitely a plant-like smell starting to show through.

Further notes - Five hours later - It faded over the course of the evening, never really getting woodsy, but at the end, was little more than faint baby powder. Must be the herbs. :P Definitely a keeper - perhaps even a bottle down the road. :D

in imp: green fresh sap, sweet and herby, with maybe a hint of pine

on me: whatever's making the sweet herb smell has amped up, and now there's light wood (perhaps the sprucewood from the description? :-P)

after a few mins: Hmm now it's mostly wood, and has gone slightly powdery.

overall: not my favorite scent, but it's nice, clean and woodsy-smelling.

Ochosi

Bottle: this scares me. I'm not fond of 'green grassy' scents.

Wet: The green is pretty strong, but there's another note, I'm not sure what it is, but it tones down the grass scent I don't like.

Drydown: The other note is gone now, all I get it grass. Planning to swap this away.

If you like green scents, Ochosi is for you.

First I probably should say that I really like all the Orisha blends. A couple of them aren't my personal taste as perfume, but I can still appreciate the artistry and respect that went into them. They're all very well done.

This one smells mostly GREEN to me at first. And yep, that has to be all caps. It's a bold scent. I think it smells great with the shea. I normally don't like green scents all that well because they're a little too harsh for me, but the shea balances out the herbs. It kinda reminds me of aloe a little bit -- green but smooth. As it dries, it gets less green but stays sweet, and it seems like there's some sort of water scent. Not like a pond or anything, more like rain.

It's the type of scent I'd have to be in a particular mood for, but I do like it.

Instant impression is that it reminds me of Caliban. Ferny and aquatic. I can tell without waiting that this really isn’t my type of fragrance, though it is very uplifting. Slight hint of pine in this? It’s very green in the ferny sense, as mentioned earlier. It does soften to become slightly soapy.

I wanted to like it, but smelled the imp and thought, "meh" and then prepared for the worst. What was I thinking?! This is good stuff.

Brighter than I expected, and almost sweet and fruity, without being either sweet or fruity. If that makes sense. Very outdoorsy-- green and herbal and clean. It's a happy scent.

This has a lot of potential! I'm going to save it for when spring comes and retry it then. :P

Added later, at the start of spring--

Husband: "Hey, did you know that you have a perfume called Ochosi over here?"

Me: "Um, yes."

Husband: "Did you know I used to have a WoW character named Ochosi?"

Me: "Yup, that's why I bought it. It was a good name for a troll."

Husband: *sniffs* "Hawaiian Punch!"

...And you know, he's right. This is as fruity as I'm prepared to go, scent-wise. I'm enjoying this for spring. When I first pulled it out, I'd forgotten that I'd already written this review, and my reactions were exactly the same: "meh" in the imp, "mmm" on my wrist.

Edited by mazikeen

imp: greenery, herbs and pine.

wet: this goes a little sharp once applied, very pungent and green... wondering if there is a grass note in here?

dry: this dries to a softer, herby scent, still plenty green and grassy though.

I'm surprised I didn't review Ochosi when I got it, as a free imp, with my last order. It's bright and green, but also surprisingly sweet and creamy on my skin. I liked the scent a few times, and then got tired of it quickly. It (along with Loup-Garou) is not as woodsy as I like; I prefer Burial for woodsy scents.

In the imp, I smell shea and herbs - it's creamy, yet herbaceous.

On my skin, it's very light and refreshing - herbs and wood backed up by a hint of shea.

When it dries, it's light, herbaceous - I can see this working really well for someone, but not for me.

In the bottle: Dark green, herby scent.

Wet on skin: sparkling dark green forresty scent that sparkles

Drydown: A very balanced forrest scent that actually doesn't smell like menthol, but rather like moss and trees and even a little bit of dirt. It's not as "sparkely" on the dry-down, but that doesn't bother me at all. This is definitely going on my big bottle list, as I love forrest scents.

For anyone who likes forrest scents, I'd say definitely give this one a try.

Oh man, this was sweet melony watery goodness.

But my skin eats it right up!

Two hours later and its gone.

Got this as a freebie in a swap, and I'm really glad I did! (Thanks, Tilby! :P) I never would have tried it otherwise; wood and I are not friendly. But I get no sharpness or overwhelming woodiness, just a light, sweet, green scent. Love it.

This is really nice. It's light and green, with just a hint of wood and a bit of creaminess. It doesn't have a lot of throw, but for a nice, relaxing scent this is perfect.

Really herbal and light. The shea that took over my skin in Obatala is not as dominant here (thank goodness!) but just provides a nice background for all those herbs. This is for someone who loves fresh, green scents, definitely, and very unisex.

In bottle/imp: Fruity, slightly herbal pine.

Immediately on skin: The smell of shea in this acts as almost a smoothing agent… I get very smooth, herbal pine from this with a slight herbal and sweet tone. A hint of chamomile perhaps? It’s a very cool, herbal pine scent.

After a little while: This gets a bit drier smelling after a while. It turns into this dry, smooth herbal scent with light woods and pine. This has a touch of sweetness though which gives it a brighter tone.

Overall Impressions: This is an odd blend, but it doesn’t smell bad. It’s herbal with pine and wood notes, but the shea really adds a nice smooth, cool feel over the whole blend. This is more unisex for sure, but unfortunately it’s not something I’d wear. It was nice to smell and experience, though.

In the imp: this smells exactly like pineapple

Wet on skin: still smells like pineapple

Drydown: ahhh, THERE'S the shea! I still don't get anything herbal or woody from this, though. It's mostly soft pineapple.

Nice, but I am not a fruity sort of gal for the most part, so I will likely swap this one away.