Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Olokun

… His ofrenda is the scent of the lightless deep: the glorious, unknowable gloom of the ocean floor.

A sweet aquatic that makes me feel kinda sick....

Salty melon sea foam watery goodness.

Beatutifully clean, sweet and green. Refreshingly good. More masculine but still lovely nontheless.

First Sniff: Light and sweet smelling.

Wet: Like all aquatics who meet my skin, it’s fresh smelling. There’s a tiny tang of fresh cut grass coming through on the dry down though.

Dry: It starts to smell a bit too melon for me and I’m not sure I like the deodorant-like smell either. Once it dried, it smelled kind of flowery only with a bit of a tang to it reminiscent of amber.

My Reaction: I enjoyed the freshness of this one, but I already wear deodorant so I’m not looking for an oil that smells like that. Once it dried and the amber came through I started to dislike it though, not ocean-like at all on me!

Rating 1-5: 2.5

Olokun

In the imp and wet, melon!!! Salty, sweet, and fresh. This one works better than Yemaya on me, as far as "aquatic melons" are concerned. As it dries down the melon fades, leaving a crisp and fresh aquatic scent. I like aquatics but it tends to be hit or miss whether they will work on my chemistry; Olokun does seem to be working, for which I am glad. ^_^

Edited by sunlitgarden

In the bottle: Pale yellow oil. Fruity, synthesized ocean themed smell.

Wet: Fruit, synthesized ocean themed smell, herbs.

Dry: Synthetic ocean all the way, not very pleasant to me. Some sort of overpowering flower I don't like, possibly freesia or hyacinth.

After a few minutes: Some sort of minty, ozony note accompanies the synthetic ocean and freesia. Possibly some sort of white musk.

After first hour: Mint, juniper, white musk, freesia and sythetic ocean.

After two and a half hours: Actually softer and prettier now.

After 5 hours: Not bad.

Final verdict: The scent is much prettier when it's had time to develop, but I prefer a scent I can enjoy all the stages of.

(First "review" ever, will return to it a bit after wearing Olokun again.)

Wet: Melon! Salty, watery, light blue-green melon, sort of. That was unexpected.

Dry: Still melon, perhaps some flowers, and water; a more rounded smell. Very pleasant. I didn't expect to like this one as much as I do. A nice surprise.

Keep: Yes

Bottle: Probably

----------------------------------

After rewearing:

Wet: A fruity aquatic. Blue-green. Honeydew melon and salty, tangy ocean. Very, very fresh. Veering towards masculine on me.

Drydown: It settles down very quickly, no throw at all. The melon+ocean combo starts reminding me of lilies.

Dry: Very much a skin scent, I don't notice it at all unless I huff my wrist. Another victim of raised standards: after trying more scents and finding some loves, I don't like this nearly as much as the first time I tried it. It's light and pleasant, but nothing spectacular.

Keep: Not much left of the imp, so yeah

Bottle: No

Edited by tallan

My first thought was cantaloupe. Something is making me think of fresh melon.

On my skin it's kind of like something green and full of chlorophyll and melon. This is an interesting scent. It seems very fresh and clean to me. I'm not really feeling it right now, but I'll be happy to revisit this scent in warmer months to see how I feel about it then.

Wet: wow. an aquatic that doesn't turn to stale pee or commercial men's cologne! This is great. dark water and slight ozone and stone. maybe some seaweed but not sure. Color impression dark opaque blue, almost black. I thought I smelled some type of mourning flower too.

Drydown: still unoffensive to the senses. dark water and some mourning flower that isn't a white lily.. bugging me! Reminds me of some new age astrological blends from Sun's Eye but can't figure out why! Overall a great aquatic.

I don;t get the "melon" note that others mention in this one. I get sweet, green, fresh, herbally, aquatic ocean. reminds me of snorkeling and swimming in the ocean. Unisex for sure but is just so fresh and evokative of nature. One of the amazing things that Beth is able to do is to create fragrances that carry you to a place and elicits memories. I am such a water girl that I just love this one. Does not go "soapy" on me but stays true to the notes. Medium throw and wear length. :wub2:

I'm not sure what to make of this one. Very aquatic at first, almost unpleasantly so, with some sort of odd undertone (melon, tea?). Nearly three hours after application, I'm just getting to the point where I can live with the scent.

Not a favorite or something I even like very much, I'm afraid.

Olokun is one of the cheeriest and most natural aquatics I have ever smelled. I love traditional ozoney aquatics, but even I will admit that they usually smell more like dryer sheets than like the sea (I just happen to enjoy the smell of dryer sheets.) Olokun, however, smells just like a sunny afternoon at the Caribbean beach, salty and sunny and wet with the usual faint tang of ozone and a touch of melon.

I loved Cthulhu but found it a tiny bit too cologney. Olokun is just like Cthulhu, but lighter and more organic. I love it and foresee it will become my "clean" perfume of choice.

Four out of five stars.

In the imp, this smelled grossly of dryer sheets and I wasn't sure what to think about it. On me, it's not overly complex and I really, really like it. I'm a scuba diver, so I'm always looking for the perfect happy ocean scent to remind me of great days of diving and this is it: warm water, pretty fish, fresh fruit afterwards while you bask in the sun and give reverent thanks for the beauty of the ocean.

In the vial: Smelling this, I picture an underwater cave of salty waters and seaweed. This is a definite ocean scent.

On my wrist: Salty, sweet water. The ocean scent is replicated exquisitly. This scent doesn't morph at all on me.

Reminded me of Zest soap, or the clean laundry smell that I like on a man. On my skin, it doesn't give me a headache, like a similar commercial fragrance would do, but it reminds me of that headachey smell, so I won't be wearing this one again. Pleasantly clean and fresh, but not for me.

Edited by Circaea

In bottle: A particularly lovely and rich version of the ocean scent common in BPALs, with a soft sweet floral edge. Wet Much as in he bottle only saltier. It’s been over a year since I could wear ocean scent, but I think with med changes I can just barely wear this, for which I’m grateful, as I miss jolly Roger and the Phoenix. Dry: A touch more aftershave and about half as salty.

Imp: A sweet melony aquatic overlaid with bright, clean floral. Very strong! A dab will do me on this one.

Wet: Interesting. Salted honeydew melon, clean laundry, and a freshwater breeze with a hint of seaweed and cut grass. There's something warm and powdery behind it, maybe a light musk or a sweet resin. Part of me loves it (honeydew is one of my favorite fruits) and part of me says, "Deodorant!" It sort of has the same feeling as Tempest but I like the melon a lot better than I liked Tempest's cucumber.

Dry: Unfortunately something in here goes a bit soapy on the drydown, which is too bad, since I was really warming up the honeydew/sheets/seaweed combo. Olokun ends up being another exercise in why I don't usually wear aquatics! I might try it once again just to make sure but I'm pretty sure this one will be frimped away.

In the Imp (ITI): It smells like juicy lotus, bubblegum, and grass. Is this even the same scent? Wow, this is totally not what I expected.

Wet: This is very much the same as in the imp, but I get the impression every so slightly of the ocean – something dark and somewhat briney. However, this is still wonderful on. *Finger’s crossed for dry-down*

Dry: It’s powdery, slightly musky, and just a touch of grassy brine, but it’s really rather pleasant.

Unfortunately this has a smell like a cleaning fluid on me. This is a bit surprising since I usually get on well with aquatics; I think the combination of salt and sweet makes me think of a harsh chemical with an artificial scent trying to hide it. I do like the firs few minutes - it's the dry-down that doesn't work for me. My favourite aquatic is Jolly Roger.

I like this!

I get melon, fresh-cut grass, and maybe a hint of the sea. By far the best ocean scent I have tried yet. Similar to Sea of Glass but a touch sweeter.

Wet: Pale melon tempered by watery aquatic notes.

Drydown/Dry: Still pale melon with a splash of citrus and sea spray. There’s a coolness that makes me think there might be something like eucalyptus or mint in the mix. I think there might be a white floral resting in the background too. Refreshing and light. Less melon-y as it dries.

6 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the imp: fresh, breezy, light

Wet: Apparently, the gloom of the ocean floor smells like honeydew. Well, okay I like honeydew.

Dry: Ooh! nice. The aquatic element is really coming out, a bit of ozone, and a nice ocean breeze. I can still smell the melon but it's buried underneath. :D This gets a 4.5 out of 5 rating. Not sure that it warrants a bottle. I'll have to test it again.

Hmm, not beachy light I thought. I don't get the salt scent at all.

Wet: Took me a minute but it's honeydew melon...possibly with salt...if I sniff hard enough. Very light and fun.

Drydown: A little more sunscreen and salt now. Pretty fantastic. If the ocean calls you, this scent will be right up your alley.

I wrote a review of this yesterday but like a silly I deleted it by accident!

My conclusions were that it starts out with the melon dominating and then gets more aquatic, reminding me of Body Shop 'sea' scented things without the bitterness underneath.

It had a strong throw, which I didn't expect, and lasted for several hours at a fairly high strength. It didn't morph much once on me and my skin chemistry didn't do crazy weird things to it!

Wow it has been truly FOREVER since I've done a review.

Gosh..way too long.

Anyway..perhaps in another post I'll fill in all the blanks but for now I'm going to keep this short.

Olokun is a frimp compliments of the Lab that I just blindly picked..had no idea what the notes were..

I pretty much used the whole frimp on me today mixed with some unscented body lotion to get the full throttle effect.

I pretty much got a clean (think softly aquatic/clean/touch of watery floral) that could be great on a guy or girl.

Throw was soft and lasting power probably a good 4+ hours..still has a quiet presence on my skin.

It is hot and humid in the Garden State so it could be a good warmer weather scent.

It kind of reminds me a bit of Sea of Glass in the dry down and I happen own a bottle of that so perhaps not something I would purchase outright but nice enough to try.

Truth be told I have more fragrance than I know what to do with... :tongue:..variety is the spice of life as far as fragrance goes.

Edited by metaldog32

In the imp: ocean & linen! So weird, yet so lovely!

Wet on skin: Same as in the imp, except slightly stronger. Clean & fresh, like sticking your nose into a pile of laundry straight out of the dryer, only nicer!

Dry on skin: More subtle now, like freshly washed linen drying in an ocean breeze.

After a few hours: About the same as dry, only more subtle. Not as fresh-smelling, but still nice.

Verdict: One of those "I never knew I wanted to smell like this" scents! Weird, yet very wearable!