Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

Olokun

... His ofrenda is the scent of the lightless deep: the glorious, unknowable gloom of the ocean floor.

On me, Olokun is a salty aquatic and green scent. It's nicer than I was expecting, but more for the warmer months.

First few seconds Olokun smells like melons. Then it gets green and salty, too salty and too strong. After few minutes it becomes salty aquatic, a bit grassy, still too strong and it made me sick. :P

After an hour it is again grassy and salty, but not that strong anymore. Not for me, reminds me too much of air fresheners that say "ocean breeze".

Edited by milica

imp: like melon-y water.

wet: salt-water melons... and maybe grass.

dry: the melon-y scent fades away leaving only a fainty grassy, very salty aquatic scent.

in the imp: yup, that's an aqua, alright. ;)

wet on skin: more of the same.

dry down: there Is a "green" note in here, as others have mentioned. not briny, either, like siting in a boat out at sea, eating cucumbers. that's what it's like.

in all: if seawater and cukes are a combo that makes you swoon, stock up on this one

:D

I think this is a dark horse BPAL. It's one of those scents that doesn't have many reviews and kind of falls by the way side. But it's lovely! It goes on strong cologne and pretty much stays that way. It's too strong for me, but I put some on my husband and son, and they smell fabulous!

Aquatic and kind of fruity...very refreshing, very light and just beautiful. Not very gloomy at all to me, but all the more beautiful for it.

HOLY AQUATICS BATMAN!

>_O Yes, this is sweet salty aquatics IN YOUR FACE. VERY strong. Oh my god, yes, on my skin this is *SO* strong. Super potent! This is a slightly sweet aquatic-but basically just straight up aquatics-if you are fan of other bpal aquatics (Jolly Roger, Anne Bonny), you will want to check this out for sure.

Olokun

Salty melon dries into salty-aquatic melon. This is like a masculine version of Yemaya.

Sniffing the imp, it's an aquatic sour fruit.

Wet on the skin, ocean water and melon. Dries back down to sour fruit and ocean water. Meh...it's not me.

I don't think I could begin to figure out everything going on here. I put it on without reading the notes and my impression was "perfume water." It is very strong and it reminds me commercial scents such as Clear Water.

Dry, it's definitely aquatic, first and foremost. It's deep but it has a cool, refreshing edge. It isn't as dark and unfathomable as Hurricane or Cthulhu. The water has a subtle saltiness, and I feel like there's some kind of floral note hidden in the water. Something sweet and rich, like plumeria.

But whatever's going on, it's all to achieve one end: cool ocean water.

In imp: Sweet, light melon. How pretty! There's a trace of aquatic here, though, so we'll have to see how that turns out.

On/wet: Interesting. Not so much of the melon, a little bit of a floral. It smells a bit like a bath shop, really.

Drydown: At first sniff, like one of those commercial cucumber-melon scents, which also tend to smell sort of salty to me.

Final impression: Contemplating for a moment, it's still the melony smell, with a little bit of aquatic. I think what I'm reading as a salty aquatic here is actually eucalyptus of all things, which is very odd, but also very interesting. The base notes are sweeter and more rounded under the eucalyptus-- perfectly ripe melon of an indeterminate sort, served with crisp sliced cucumbers in a sweetened vinaigrette.

Totally a late afternoon snack of cubed melon and salad near the water, the scent of eucalyptus drifting in on the breeze.

Bright and crisp aquatics, with perhaps a hint of grapefruit and sugar on top of it. The grapefruit/sugar combo reminds me of those jelly candies coated in sugar. Except that these are soaked in sparkling clear water. And really, it's not an overly sweet scent, that's just what it reminds me of. I really like the light, crisp, brightness of this blend.

This aquatic works really well on me! They tend to be hit or miss and compared to others I think the reason I like Olokun so much is that it really smells like the bottom of the ocean. Lots of kelp and salt roiling around in a peaceful drift of scent. Great throw! Good refreshing summer scent.

I was in a hurry and decided to grab an imp from my to-test box without checking the description. Somehow on my way out the door I landed completely different scent planet than everyone else.

When I open the imp and take a sniff, I get lemon. Bright, delicious lemon. There's nothing Pledge-y about it; this is in the lemonade spectrum of sweet, tart and sparkling. Fellow Mass. folks will know what I'm talking about when I say it's very much like Richie's lemon slush. Wet, I get the same lush, slightly chilly lemon. Unfortunately, the throw was very, very light, and in less than five minutes I have to press my nose up to my wrist to get any scent at all.

To add to the weirdness, later in the day I kept thinking I had taken along my imp of Y'ha N'thlei, because I kept getting whiffs of similar salty ocean and ambergris deliciousness. The thing is, this smell was coming from my bag, specifically the purse which held the imp, not from my skin at all, and I still couldn't smell it directly when I opened it in the imp. It's like some kind of stealth aquatic aura. Still, when I got home and read the description, it got a "whah?"

I like this blend a lot, note weirdness and all, but the vanishing-within-minutes thing is killing it for me. I might try it in my clothes (or a scent locket once I get around to picking one out) to see if I can get it to stick around.

Definitely melon in the imp..

On skin becomes more aquatic, not bad so far even though Im not an aquatic person by a long shot! Salty and deep blue. The throw is extremely clean but a tad traditional for my tastes.. may pass it on to the boy.

This is another one of those "dark ocean depths" scents, like R'lyeh and Calico Jack...it's not light, airy ocean spray, like Tempest, it's much deeper and dark blue in feeling. It's a tiny bit more ozoney than R'lyeh, though...a little citrus-lemony too? It does resemble R'lyeh a lot, though, except with more levity, and minus the seaweedy notes that are in R'lyeh. Olokun is just pure blue water with hints of lemon (tiny, tiny hints). It's a lovely aquatic scent, and I can see myself wearing it a lot.

In the vial this is a piercing smell of something like a tropical cocktail, although I can't specify which type - something cool and fruity... maybe a melon punch with Midori and ice. On my skin, a little saltiness of the sea starts to amp behind the melon sweetness; it's like a cocktail on the beach as you catch the scent of the ocean whilst you drink, then turn away to breath in the salty air. After a few hours this becomes a soft and faintly sweet scent, fading away gently and quietly on my skin.

To me, this scent best reflects a melon-flavoured cocktail drank at the beach whilst under a tropical sun!

That has some nice throw, a fresh and salty sea scent. It's like sunlight through the ocean.

Imp: Aquatic. Slight melon scent.

Wet: Very melon-y. A very blue-green sort of scent. It's not a freshwater aquatic like Danube. This is definitely a seawater aquatic.

Dry: I am surprised by how much I like this one. Olokun is a clean and calm deep green ocean aquatic. It's really calming and refreshing and I've run through most of the imp by wearing it to bed these last few days. Very fresh and clean calming without being soapy or harsh.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I think I've just been on an aquatics bender lately. This is gorgeous and unusual and definitely something I am going to think about getting a bottle of.

In the imp: Ocean water, sweet melons. Slight b.o. smell. The one in Egle.

Wet: Melons and faint B.O. in the background. Slight cologne.

Dry:Oooh, all melons. Watermelon and cantaloupe. Much sweeter artificial, melon smell. No cologne, no salty ocean, just watermelon. It reminds me of that gum I always used to get in China Town. Comes in a box, small round bubble gum balls. The green cantaloupe one. That's what this smells like.

Overall: I like the drydown. Almost everything that this starts off as fades, and it remains fruity and feminine. Will use the imp.

testing florals is a crapshoot - where the dice are set against me.

At first this was a sweet orange blossom scent, kinda nice, but truly artificial...it has now morphed to a fresh aquatic floral and is fading fast.