Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thedragoncharmer

Yemaya

… Her ofrenda is a bounty of melons and grapes, strewn with the petals of the flowers of motherhood, draped with sea mosses.

This is pure honeydew on me and nothing else. It doesn't morph at all on me. It has a very juicy smell to it. Its alright and I've worn it to bed the last couple nights. Not something I want to smell like in public, though. But it is very interesting.

If you are a melon person, this is for you. melon with a little sugar on top.

If you like melon, but a little less obvious and in your face, try Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat.

In the imp: sugared melons (honeydew, cantaloup, and sugar). Watery and sweet sweet sweet! I love it!

Wet: Melon candy. Someone said a lifesaver, and that is what is reminds me of.

Dry: Same as in the imp.

Overall: I love that this doesn't morph! Watery sugary melons. Simple, straightforward. Yummy! Although I want to drink it instead of wear it...but I'll see..

In the vial, this smells of lovely, juicy, cool, refreshing honeydew melon, or a summer bowl full of melon salad - yum! On my skin the melon scent becomes warmer, and becomes entwined with a deeper scent, like melon pieces being covered in warm Midori; although it is the scent of the grapes coming through the melon - it is still delightfully summery, and the grapes add a lovely boozy depth to the scent. After a few hours this settles to a soft, sweet scent, without the strong melon flavour to it, yet it is still delightfully delicious and perhaps a touch floral. It is a wonderful scent!

This is all grapes and melons with a hint of aquatics and florals. It's juicy, wet, and really appropiate for the upcoming season. I always forget about these hidden gems in the general catalog and I can't wait to put this into my scent rotation.

Juicy sweet & wet!

It starts off as a very sugary bubblegum watermelon and then morphs into a gorgeous sweet pear/melon/grape cocktail...

It smells so delicious on me that I can't decide if I want to lick my arm or just sniff it!

A lovely green, fruit, sweet summer scent :heart:

Yemaya

Frimp from the lab. In the imp and wet, this is almost pure melon (a mixture of cantaloupe and honeydew?) I like fruit scents but this is a little bit too sweet and strong for my taste. As it dries, a tinge of sharper greenery comes out. This one's okay but not my favorite.

This is another blend with a tropical Skittles feel! Yemaya: heavily sugared canteloupe/honeydew in the imp, and a fruit salad on my skin. You know, those fruit salads that you get in breakfast buffets, with canteloupe and honeydew and grapes and sometimes strawberries, if you're lucky. Well, this time you weren't lucky. No strawberries here. Everything else shows up though.

Something goes sour as it dries, and it's a no go from there on out. It might be a floral of some sort. Sad, because it was a lot of fun before that.

Fresh, clean scent. I’m mainly getting melon with a tiny bit of grape and a touch of floral. Very summery! LOVE.

In the imp, this smells like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. On my skin, this is all melon, all sickly, all the time. Erm. Need off now, plz.

In the vial, it reminds me of the melon flavored Air Heads taffy. Not a bad smell, but I don't know if I want to go around smelling like melon candy. Color, watermelon pink.

Wet on my skin, it's melon and grape juice and moss. Kinda like the sweet stuff you'd have at a picnic. Tasty, but not my idea of a perfume. Thankfully, the 'flowers of motherhood' aren't going haywire, either.

10-15 minute drydown - It's a candied floral now, but with a distinct melon note. Not unpleasant to say the least, but not really my thing.

30 minute drydown - Spoke too soon. Now I smell like flower-flavored jellybeans. Don't ask. I just do. It's not terribly pleasant.

I love Yemaya, and so do my children. It's cantaloupe/honeydew and grapes, and maybe a bit of water. It smells like summer and happiness.

In the bottle: very ripe and juicy honeydew! and I don't know why honeydew smells like the ocean, but it does. the grape juices are sticky purple-green and the sea mosses are also juicy. it's very juicy, almost too much so. it's like the moon on the ocean. I don't think it's floral at all, it's purely fruity to me. and it's not like an ozone ocean either; it's a juicy sweet one, almost tropical.

On my skin: it's less juicy on the skin, which is probably good because it's almost overpoweringly juicy in the bottle. the sea mosses also come out more on me, which makes it a lot more like ocean. it dries to a honeydew-ocean grass blend.

Last thoughts: the mysteriously juicy ocean that it lovely under the moonlight. this is so wonderful as a honeydew blend, even if it's not the perfect ozone ocean blend like Lightning.

Frimp from the lab. Lovely and delicious honeydew melon. As it dries down, it does get a hint of floral to it and the grape pops up too. Reminds me of the grape in Titania. Like this a hell of a lot and will eventually get a bottle!

Wet: Honeydew!

Dry Down: Honeydew with a teeny bit of grape peeking out.

I always wear warm scents, so it's strange to smell like bright honeydew, but the scent is so uplifting that I am holding on to this a while. This would be a perfect scent for a day at the beach.

This is a beautiful scent and makes me think EXACTLY of Partylite's Honeydew candles! Lovely as a room scent but not applied to my body. :lol:

In the bottle this is a wonderfully juicy, sugary honeydew melon. On the skin, the honeydew remains but there's also a bracing, briny seaweed note that comes out as the scent develops. The two notes create a very interesting olfactory contrast - sweet and salty, Yemaya makes me think of the ocean without being a literal aquatic. I think it's very beautiful but I can see a lot of people being weirded out by this. If you like sweet fruit scents like BPAL's Earth Rat or more seaweedy scents like BPAL's Cthulu or Villainess's Pearl Diver, I definitely think you should give Yemaya a try.

This is a review of an aged bottle.

In the bottle: Melons, and maybe a tiny bit of floral lurking in the background.

On skin, wet: Melony goodness. Still that subtle hint of something else, but mostly this is melon.

On skin, dry: The "maybe florals" in the background have gone slightly soapy, but not enough to detract from the melon.

After an hour: About the same as the initial drydown, the soapiness stays very faint and the melons stay very true and sweet and awesome.

In imp: sweet melon candy! Yummy.

Wet on skin: sweet, ripe melon that's very candy-like. A simple, uncomplicated scent, with a tropical feel.

Dry: this doesn't morph at all. This is playful, bright, fruity melon, straight up. The aquatic vibe is stronger when dry then when in the imp or wet on my skin, but checked and doesn't overwhelm the melon, just provides an interesting tropical backdrop.

Verdict: this was one of my early keepers! I've since discovered that any fruity blends I have, no matter how I love smelling them, I hardly ever wear, and this was certainly one of the fruitiest.

Ooooh, pretty melon - honeydew with a bit of cantaloupe, very juicy and refreshing! It takes pretty much the same both in the imp and on my skin, which pleases me. The throw could be a little better, but on the bright side it lasted a decent amount of time - about five or six hours, perhaps a little longer - and this scent evokes so many happy memories for me (my family loves melons of all sorts and I have so many memories of us all sitting around the kitchen counter while Mom passes out thick slices of cantaloupe or honeydew or watermelon) that I can't help but love Yemaya. This is perfect for spring and summer, and it's so soothing for me I foresee myself putting a drop on my pillow every now and then to help me fall asleep with a smile on my face. I will definitely be buying a bottle of this when I can.

Imp: Can you say MELON?!?!?! Watermelon, honeydew, canteloupe, iced grapes, pears, all the good fruits of the world. Oh goodness, now I really miss summer.

Wet: Melon, pear, watery fruits and a thick, soft, glorious, slightly salty moss. And florals! What florals. Orchids, liles, maybe even muguet? Moss can quickly amp and become horrendous on my skin, but miraculously here it's kept in check by all those flowers and fruits.

Dry: Well, that one went by fast! Melons and lovely moss and florals all the way through. Nice, but unless it sticks around for longer next time it will probably get swapped.

Definitely honeydew juice concentrate in an imp.

On my skin, Yemaya became significantly more complex. It reminded me of Titania a bit - icy cool, fresh and fruity, pale mint/blue in feel. There's definitely some lily in there - I amp lily, and I have a feeling that on someone else this could be a lot fruitier. On me, it's about half floral, half fruit. Maybe a smidge of darker green moss in there, but barely detectable.

Quite nice! I don't usually like lily of the valley perfume but this has enough honeydewy sweetness to temper the screaming white floral.

Edited by Amoraexcena

In bottle: Melon dominant, with sea scent as a strong second. The grape and flowers support the melon while the moss is part of the ocean scent. It is rich and fruity with a feel like fruit picnic on the beach. Wet: Even fruitier on the skin, with the ocean moss fading into a backgroubd. Dry: Mostly melon on the dry down.

Frimp from the lab

In the imp: Oh this smells nice! Melon and roses, not watermelon, defiantly honeydew and not big red roses, soft pink ones just starting to bloom.

Wet: Melon comes out the strongest, I am seeing where some people said this smells like candy because it is starting to smell a bit like bubble gum.

Dry: The back drop of rose is coming out very strong on me. Wow this is a very nice scent. I usually hate the smell of rose on me but this is very nice.

Well...It's not "My" kind of smell but it is just beautiful. I have been wanting to get my daughter a bottle of BPAL..I think this would work just great for her. It's sweet and innocent and calm.

And I think this would be a very good scent to introduce people to BPAL. It's sweet, and pleasant and very pretty. I think most girls would enjoy this smell.

So the Magpie gets a bottle of this for Christmas. I'm sure she is going to love it.

In the imp: That is a dead ringer for Watermelon Jolly Rancher!

Wet: Blast of Watermelon Jolly Rancher. It calms down a little after the initial blast and there's a bit of fresh honeydew, grapes, and water just beyond the candy.

Drydown: The candy is more subtle now. There's a touch of moss in the background, just enough to keep it interesting. There's also a very soft floral emerging.

Dry: Hmmm. Fresh fruit scents sometimes go weird. They're doing that now. Kinda like they're hard candies sticking to their plastic wrappers. :(

This was ok in the wet, nice in the drydown, and disappointing in the dry. Too bad, I was hoping melon would be a fruit that works.