Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thedragoncharmer

Yemaya

... Her ofrenda is a bounty of melons and grapes, strewn with the petals of the flowers of motherhood, draped with sea mosses.

In the imp, a strong melon scent with a slight hint of something unidentifiable.

Wet on the skin, still the melon but more of the unidentifiable scent - maybe the grapes.

Fades to almost nothing within an hour.

I really wanted to like this one, Yemaya being my patron goddess, but it just doesn't do anything for me and my skin eats it. Oh well. :) Edited by Shollin

Whew, this one is definite FAIL, right from the get go. I guess anything with melon does not sit well with me. I think 51 has melon in it, and it was yuck too. This reminds me of a drink called Melonball, that I tried in the late 80's, so right away, it took me back to that time, which was kind of neat. I love honeydew, but do NOT want to smell like one.

Melons! Sweet juicy melons! Omnomnom! Smells so good in the imp! I haven't sniffed any other BPAL that smells like this.

On my skin, the florals come out from underneath the melon. This is almost a littttle too sweet >_O

Thankfully that super sweetness calmed down as this reached full drydown. This is an excellent sweet uber-ripe melon blend (the florals are there, but just in the background). Entirely unique and refreshing, I think this would be an excellent spring/summer blend!

Honeydew melons and grapes! Juicy, sweet, bountiful brightness! I'm going to be living in this blend this summer. I have a real attachment to the goddess Yemaya, and while I feel like this blend could be slightly improved by the addition of some overt aquatics, I'm not disappointed to say the least! This blend is heavenly and I'm so glad that I did the right thing and threw some into my last order with the lab! Stunning! :wub2:

This was one of the few I decided to test without reading the description first, and I was spot on!

Pure refreshing watermelon. :yum:

This will make a really nice Summer scent.

Imp: Melon!

Wet: Very fresh cut watermelon and maybe a bit of cucumber

Drydown: Cool, fresh aquatic and melon. This scent will be great on a hot summer day

Overall: It's so fresh! I can't wait to use this for a summer day. The imp's sticking around, and let's see if summer use brings it to a bottle!

In the imp: Cool fruity goodness, like frozen grapes and honeydew in a fruit salad.

On, wet: The same cool fruits as in the imp, but with a slight undertone of white florals.

On, dry: Melon in the throw with florals at the base. It's nice, but I don't love the floral note, so I may just try this one in my clocket.

In the imp Yemaya is all honey dew melon.

On my skin it dries down to honey dew melon with a light floral background. Overall it's a very nice scent, if a little light.

I am going to echo what the others said and agree that it does smell like honey dew melon and grapes. A sweet and innocent scent. It gives me short bursts of happiness whenever I sniff my wrist. Awesome stuff!

5ml? Yea!

Imp: Melons!

Wet: Sweet melons! Yum! Oh, this is good! :yum:

Drydown: Melon candy. This smells so delicious, I want to lick it! :P

Overall: This scent does not morph. Hurray! It has medium throw and good wear length. This is a fun warm weather scent.

Oh!

*gag*

*cough*

Yeah, I get the melon note here, but on first sniff all this smelled like was vomit and I just can't move past that. :sick:

Sniffing the imp, Whoa Honeydew Melon

Wet on my skin, the honeydew and grape notes are duking it out. As it dries, sadly the honeydew wins (not a fan of melon scents). Dry it's honeydew and now floral. Really not my kind of scent.

In the imp, it's honeydew without a doubt. Sweet, succulent honeydew. Wet, well, it's still honeydew. However, once it finally starts to dry, grape hesitantly peeks out but it unwilling to fight honeydew for the crown and the flowers watch hesitantly from the sidelines. Honeydew seems to decide that it'd be best to simply call it a draw and grape reluctantly agrees. So there you have it, it's honeydew with a touch of grape and a smidgen of flowers. I'm really not getting sea mosses or I'm not focusing enough to sniff them out.

Overall, it's a scent I think one of my guy friends would like on a girl and because of that, I might give it to him to give to his girlfriend--if he can manage to get her away from commercial perfumes.

In bottle: Nice fresh honeydew melon

On me, wet: Honeydew melon, but with a sharply sweet edge I don’t care for. Reminds me of the bubblegummy oversweetness of Aunt Caroline’s Joy Mojo.

On me, drying: I want to like this, but it’s just too heavy on the candy-ness. Makes me appreciate the subdued nature of Bat-Woman all the more.

Verdict: Probably not a keeper.

Imp: Melons. Cantalope or musk melon specifically. Are cantalope and musk melon the same thing? Perhaps. I dunno.

Wet: Jelly Belly melon jelly beans. Too a T.

Dry: The melon and the sweetness calm down a bit but it's still sugary sweet and more like candy than real melon. I get the faintest, faintest hint of the moss but considering that I don't really care for moss that's not particularly it's not exactly the best scent on my skin.

Throw: Ridiculously strong.

Overall: Too much melon. I like melon in small doses (re: 51) but this is just way too overpowering and too fake smelling on my skin. BPAL is way too good to be taking me away like Calgon.

This smells exactly like cutting open a ripe honeydew. Ripe, sweet fruity-ness to the max! I love it, it makes me want to lick my wrist, but I don't know how practical it is for everyday wear.

in the bottle: impossibly juicy sweet melons, somewhere between a cantaloupe and a honeydew

wet on skin: very sweet honeydew, no hint of cantaloupe any longer.

dry: something a little darker comes out to balance the bright sweetness of the melon.

all and all this is a wonderful, truly beautiful, blend for anyone who Really loves melons - which i do. but it's probably not the very best of scents for someone who only slightly loves melons.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Yemaya is juicy melon with a hint of.... something.

As it dries, the something becomes more pronounced... aquatic flowers and just a hint of moss. I also get a little bit of musk, but I have musky skin and I don't think anyone else has gotten musk, so YMMV. I don't get any grape. I love that the florals and aquatics keep the melon in check, though, so this is neither too foody nor too sweet.

It has good staying power overall, but the melon fades in a few hours. The throw is light.

This was a lagniappe, and it'll definitely be a 5ml down the road :)

In the imp it's pure watermelon candy, very sweet. Wet the watermelon is still strong but the carnation makes a strong appearance. Once dried all I get is carnation.

This isn't a scent I would have picked out for myself, but septima_pica gave me an imp, telling me that Yemaya is unabashedly weird and is worth trying just for that alone. How could I turn down such a recommendation?

In the imp: Sweet cantaloupe, with a slight hint of something salty.

Wet on skin: Cantaloupe, grape, and some nameless salty thing.

Drydown: Freshly dry, the melon and grape are still there, but theyʻre losing ground to the salty thing. Iʻm assuming that must be the "sea mosses," but all I really smell is salt. Thereʻs no plant component as of yet. At one hour in, Iʻm no longer certain of the presence of grape, but the melon has lasted surprisingly long. Itʻs still mixed with a hefty helping of salt, though.

Five hours later: All of the fruit is gone now, and it becomes apparent that there really is some moss in this one: very salty moss.

End of the day: Very slightly salty.

Overall: Indeed, this is a weird one! Sweet and salty do work together as flavors, sometimes, but with these particular smells, it's just very strange. I am amazed that the melon lasted as long as it did on me, but I'm still iffy on its combination with salt. If it were just melon and moss, that would've been a very different impression, but the salt note is probably more prominent on me than it ought to be. I could still see this working as a good refreshing summer scent, but probably not on me.

I would never have gotten this for myself based on the description, but Champagne threw it in as a freebie! Thanks! :)

in the imp: Starburst candy! Aside from the fruitiness, there's a slight waxiness that reminds me of Starburst wrappers.

on: It warms up instantly on my skin, but still retaining the Starburst smell. After about 5 minutes, it suddenly blossoms. It's like looking at a cartoon illustration of a jungle, and suddenly finding yourself standing in the middle of the actual jungle. Not getting any kind of ocean feeling, but a tropical jungle filled with flowers and fruits. I like it quite a lot, but the throw is frustratingly light. As time goes on, the scent gradually becomes slightly darker and sweeter. Pretty much gone after a couple hours.

verdict: I doubt I'll buy a bottle of this, but I'll definitely use the imp.

Got this as a frimp. I really don't like melon smells. there's just something about it that's too damn strong for my nose. Regardless, I liked the idea of backing it with the sea moss. I think I could be converted if it had one more earthy or green element added. I didn't take this as a true wet fruit melon smell. Slightly artificial but not kid's sticker melon. more like cocktail or candy melon.

~~Yemaya~~

In the imp, this was a very buttery fruit to my nose....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Wet it reminded me of some life saver in the tropical flavors pack, although i couldn't pin down exactly which one....(i don't let myself look at the notes ahead of time) Dry, this was a sickly sweet floral on me....if i was a hummingbird I'd have died and gone to heaven.....it's that sweet...

1 hour later: I'll have ants soon if I don't get this washed off! :nervous: