Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Vixen

Lascivious, flirtatious, and vampy as hell. A true heartbreaker’s perfume. The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

When I first applied it, I got a very, very light ginger over sweet flowers. The ginger went away, leaving me with a reasonably heavy sweet floral. Not a distinct "orange blossom" - I'd have guessed "jasmine" if I had to, because it's got that sort of sweet, heavy, enveloping-ness to it.

Four hours after application, still a sweet, heavy, jasminey floral.

It's not unpleasant, but I wanted ginger and orange and patchouli from it!!! I think I'll have to try it again at some point with different expectations, because I can't get over the "but I didn't want it to be like that..!" factor today!

ETA: 7 hours after application, I'm getting sweet patchouli with a hint of ginger spice!!! Of course, I do need to huff my wrist with my nose practically pressed to my skin... But now I can see the Karma similarities at least (though I personally find Ravenous closer)... Edited by Miri

Uh. I tried this on without refreshing my memory as to the notes, and up to right now I would have sworn it had red musk in it. The oil has that red-musk color, but more to the point, it turned maliciously bizarre on me in the way red musk always does, with a funny stale smell drying down to cloying, penetrating, strong department-store perfume.

No ginger. No patchouli. No orange blossom. Those are accords in some of my favorite blends, too, so I know what they smell like. I've scrubbed twice and the scent is still clinging to me and wafting around me, giving me a headache.

Not a winner, but I'm left wondering if my imp could have been mislabeled. It's just so weird.

I try to think of something nice to say about any scent even if it isn't a favorite. But this one was not a good one even out of the imp. Way to much patchouli. I should have known better but I tried it anyway because sometimes my body chemistry kills that note. Unfortunately I smelled like an angry little mammal in heat peed on me.

Sorry guys this one was a big loser on me.

Imp: Sharp ginger and patchouli. It is actually sort of enticing even with that little whiff of orange blossom.

Wet: Surprisingly smooth and mellow. It is really a very sexy mix. Very much a patchouli scent but the ginger keeps it from being earthy and the orange blossom keeps the razor edge of the ginger from being too much.

Dry: Amazing throw. I can smell myself quite well with just a dab and I'm a slatherer. It feels like a cousin of Snake Oil. Less exotic with the same vampy qualities.

Overall: I really expected not to like this but I do.

I adore Vixen. Its warm, and spicy. Mostly I get the scent of ginger, with a bit of earthiness and topped off with some sweetness. Almost all ginger though. Which is fabulous for me, because I love ginger. It also lasts most of the day on me (it fades very slowly), the next morning I can usually catch a hint of it of my skin.

I immediately bought a larger bottle of this, before my imp ran out. I didn't want to open my BPAL storage box and not have any in there. Its definately my most used scent, of the ones I tried so far.

On me Vixen smells a lot like Mme Moriarty, but maybe even a tad better. It's a very sexy scent and I can see myself getting a bottle.

This is Hunger's slutty sister, I think. This is the *dirtiest* patchouli I've ever smelled - every other lab patchouli that I've tried has generally been far more refined and smooth and mellow, where this is leafy and earthy and it'll clobber you in the head with a spiked heel in a dark alley if you look at it the wrong way. It's overpowering the ginger (the redheaded tarty sidekick) and the orange blossom has practically no chance. My skin likes patchouli, though - it doesn't really *amp* it too badly, but it does get played up a lot in my chemistry.

It also *does* have a resemblance to Snake Oil, with a faint play-doh aspect under it all that I also get from SO at the wrong time of month.

In Imp: Patchouli, patchouli,patchouli...spicy ginger, some (rather cloying smelling) sweetness which I think must be the orange blossom. Not sure about this one. The cloying smell threatens to make my head ache.

Wet, on skin: Patchouli. Syrup covered orange blossoms. The spiciness of the ginger pokes through a bit, but this scent smells incredibly muddled and heavy on me wet. Head pounds.

Dry, on skin: Smoky patchouli with a sweet undercurrent. It's rather heady. I'm almost getting a sickly heavy vanilla from this.

Later: The scent is just...muddy. The patchouli has died down. There's an element of cheap old lady perfume happening here, and I'm not happy about it. The ginger gets amped from time to time - almost like a pulse, it's very strange! - and that is the element that might save it from the swap pile.

Verdict:

I'm really undecided. There's a huge sickly element to Vixen on my skin, and it's one

that seems to be a bit headache-inducing. I like it better when the ginger tries to take

over, but the orange blossoms underneath seem to exude some sort of syrupy sweetness that

muddles everything and the patchouli isn't bringing it back to earth. As others have said, it is reminiscent of a dirty version of Snake Oil. The imp may or may not go to the swap pile.

Vial: Similar to "War", probably because of the ginger-patch mix, but sharper.

On: About equal parts ginger, patchouli and orange blossom. What I was hoping "War" would be like. It has a bit of sharpness, a bit of sweetness and clearly says "I can kick your butt". It softens as it dries - hopefully not as much as "War" did, though...

Later: Gingery, slightly sweet patchouli. This is nice. Definitely keep the imp, maybe a bottle later.

I was super duper excited to try this one right away!

In bottle: this is a bit strong. maybe sophisticated even?

Wet on skin: Well this isnt too bad. its pretty floral and i like florals =)

Dry: OH DEAR GOD! I think the Ginger just gave me the finger. I had to wash this one off. It started giving me a head ach. such a BUMMER!!! :cry2:

The smell from the vial is heavy, thick, sweet, spiced, and slightly medicinal. It put me in mind of anise almost immediately, and that association almost ruined it for me. I hate anise. On my skin, I would vacillate: sometimes smelling a thickly sweet, ginger-spiced patchouli, sometimes smelling syrupy anise and patchouli. Not exactly pleasant, but strangely compelling.

As it dries, its starts smelling better and better. Now, about 2 hours later, I am enveloped in this cloud of slightly sweetish, ever-so-slightly bitter, spiced-orange patchouli. Oh my god, this is fantastic!

Ultimately VERY nice, but it took a bit to get there. Kind of like learning to appreciate and enjoy wine, Vixen was also an acquired taste for me.

I like ginger and I like all things citrus and I don't have much of an opinion on patchouli -how could I go wrong? In the bottle it smelled like, well concentrated hippie. In the clocket? Concentrated hippie. I don't mind incense-type scents (and some of them I actively enjoy), but I was hoping more for 'spring in a orange grove' than 'sundown on Venice beach.' If patchouli does it for you, then Vixen would be great, but I didn't get so much as a whiff of the orange blossom or ginger, which was something of a disappointment.

In the imp - This one comes out strong, sharp and fast and hit me in the face with all three notes at once. ORANGE-GINGER-PATCHOULI !!!!! It was so sharp and abrasive that I almost didn't want to try it on, but I'm SO glad I gave it a try.

Wet on the skin - still very intense. The bitter note from the orange and the sharp edge of the ginger are really strong. It's almost unpleasant, but I'm getting the feeling that underneath these loud talking notes, after it mellows a bit, there's something fantastic happening.

After about 20-30 minutes - Love it! A beautiful harmony has been reached by these notes and I'm in love. It's warm, spicy, powerful, musky and unusual. It reminds me of a musky orange pekoe tea, which reminds me of being inside an imports shop standing between the incense and the tea. Other spicy blends I've tried have used carnation which doesn't agree with me, so I'm really happy to have Vixen as an option. The longer I wear this one the more I love it. Oh, and it has great staying power too. I think Vixen is going on the favorites list.

How come I've never reviewed Vixen?!? I've had this scent forever - and I really like it too! - so it's just... weird that I never posted this review.

Anyway, please keep in mind that my imp of Vixen is very well aged - we're talking several years here, people. What can I say, I'm just not a slatherer!

So yes, it has mellowed somewhat with age, but in spite of that, it's still an IN YOUR FACE kind of blend. A little bit goes a loooong way with this one.

On my skin, Vixen is quite sweet and fruity, almost like fortified wine that's been cooked down for so long that all the alcohol is gone and all you're left with is a rich, sticky, concentrated brew.

Once the initial jolt of ginger, orange and patchouli dissipates a bit, Vixen can go either of two ways: either it surrounds me with a warm, exotic and highly sexual cloud of deliciousness, or it goes murky, cloying and frankly overpowering. As of late, thankfully, it's mostly been the former, and when it's good, it's more than good enough for me to overlook the few fits of murkiness and keep it in my collection.

It has tonnes of throw, and for the synesthestes among us, it is red. Very very red.

I picked up an imp of this in search for a scent similar to Heaven and Earth Essential's Black Cat.

In the vial: A thick, mellow orange blossom darkened by patchouli. But it's a bit strange in a way I find hard to describe—it's almost a little boozy.

On me: As it hits the skin the components seem to separate: the orange blossom grows sharper and sweeter, the patchouli is a dark, more distinct shadow, and I can even pick out some warmth from the ginger. That distinctiveness fades a bit during drydown, but I can still pick out all of the notes—and they combine together into something truly lovely: sweet, warm, golden, but rich and dark with patchouli. It tends towards cloying but doesn't quite reach it, settling instead for unabashed. It's breathtaking, sensual scent, and difficult to stop sniffing. Scent-color is orange-gold; throw is moderate to high (and the blend is potent, too—it only takes a swipe) but it dies down significantly after about two hours.

Verdict: Vixen is lovely. It's remarkably similar to HAEE's Black Cat (Vixen is a bit smoother, less sweet, and less cloying, but the orange blossom/patchouli combination is the distinctive heart of both blends) and so in that respect it's exactly what I was looking for. But it's also beautiful in its own right. Sweet but dark, rich and beautiful, this unique blend with great throw and I can't stop sniffing myself. It's a real winner for me—I'm smitten. I only wish it remained gloriously strong for longer, but this is one that I will be happy to reapply.

I have tried both a fairly old imp (I am guessing at least a year old, possibly 2 or more years old) and a fresh bottle (purchased in response to the imp test) of Vixen. The oil in the imp was more viscous, and the scent seemed to have a bit more intensity, but scent-wise were nearly identical.

In the Imp: Dusty-sweet incense (I thought it was Nag Champa at first before reading the notes)

Wet on Skin: Nag Champa! (except that it is really Patchouli)

While Drying: ...spice... ...vanilla...

After a Little While: Incense & Vanilla, incensey-vanilla - gorgeous!

Later: lasts forever... wonderful scent

Final Thoughts: Vixen is _amazingly_ delicious on me, to the point that friends have started requesting that I wear it when we are planning to spend time together. The first time I wore it, I asked The Boy to smell me... When I finally pried him away from my neck, he asked what it was called. I told him, and he replied with a nod and a smile, "fitting name." (Now he says "Epic Win!")

The Best Friend says: "Smells like sex, in a good way."

Vixen gets a solid 5/5, and is holding its own as my favorite scent so far.

On my skin, this is sweet juicy orange and patchouli. The patchouli is not overwhelming though and is just blending nicely with the orange.

This is nice. Worth keeping my imp of it.

maybe my nose is broke... vixen is aged snake oil on me. Just that, aged snake oil.

so... I LOVE Vixen :wub2:

The perfect patchouli blend. Sexy and inviting, it's strong without being too heady. It's a feminine scent but there's not subtle about it, it's sultry and sexy without compeising elegance. Ages very nicely.

in bottle: like strong rum and patchouli! very drunkening lol

on wet: vanilla, patchouli and a powdery scent. a very pretty mix! i'm new to BPAL. this is the second fragrance i've tried and already seems to be working on me! :)

on dry:very pretty, a soft powdery ginger patchouli floral...almost a food scent. i will keep this one! :)

after 5 hours AND a shower!: a powdery musky patchouli scent...very lovely.

Edited by Sly

Imp: a dark, think oil that smells quite intense. The patchouli is so strong... it seems tinged with eucalyptus and spicey ginger.

Wet on Skin: it’s staying quite true. It’s a warm, heavy patchouli scent still although the musty orange blossom is peeking out now.

Drydown: it’s sweeter but otherwise no morphing. Great throw. Best stage of this blend, it’s a warm sweet glow now. It’s tingling on my wrist though...

Vanilla, Rose, Amber, and Bubble Gum! Deliciously cute fragrance for the irresistable minx.(So wrong, I know, but it got me)

*yowl!*

In this one, there is all the sauciness and sass that could be expected from the title. This would be an instance where it would be a safe wager to "judge a book by it's cover".

Once this was applied to the skin, it sweetened significantly; almost Baby Powder meets Powdered Sugar...

This one is all Lollipops, Pigtails, Cat-Eyes, and Knee-High Stockings...

The collar is getting a mite snug!

Vixens is a sweet, foxy scent. Good for the young lady that knows she's a prize. A definite, 'come hither' quality! Yummy on a hot little number... I feel...

Dirty.

Freebie in my Weenies order. The description has me. I don't read the notes or if I did, I forgot.

I sniff the bottle: it's earthy. A sharp earthy.

I put it on my wrists: it's STILL earthy. A bit sweet but god, why does my nose sting and why are my eyes tearing up?

I try enabling a roommate with the Pumpkin Set, starting with Tattie Bogle. We both love Tattie Bogle. I email her the website. I get whiffs of my perfume here and there and I get curious.

Very curious.

So I finally read the notes. There's patchouli. Patchouli. I don't panic because maybe, just *maybe*, it'll work on me this time.

While emailing, I sniff my wrist once more.

D: D: D: D: D:

WTF. WHY. WHY DO I SMELL LIKE MANLY ARMPITS OF DEATH!?

Sad. D: I so wanted to be a vixen. Sexy, voluptuous, femme-fatale, I will take you up against the wall in front of a crowd of voyeurs VIXEN.

...Not a sweaty, unkempt, man who eats onions like apples.

In bottle: Orange blossom dominant. The ginger adds a pleasing sharpness and the patchouli is pleasantly smooth. I know that with the strong orange content and the amping, this will all be tang on me, so I’m not testing. It smells like a rather cool orange blend for someone else, though.

Very similar to Sin in all aspects (at least to me), just switching out the cinnamon in Sin for ginger here. I get a nice warm amber with spices all grounded by a nice earthy patchoulli from both blends. For me the patchoulli is definatlely a grounding note, with amber in the forefront mixing with the spices. There is also the addition of a little brightness on the top of orange blossom that Sin doesn't have (and on me it doesn't last long). To me Vixen seems like the feminine counter part to Sin, and even though I am fairly feminine I think I like the cinnamon in Sin more than the ginger (if I had to put them in a death match that is), although I really love both scents. And layered with the Lion tte amber is super amped and drop dead sexy on me adding just a little sway in my hips when I walk and giving me a boost of confidence.