Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Vixen

Lascivious, flirtatious, and vampy as hell. A true heartbreaker’s perfume. The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

Vixen reminds me quite a lot of Dior's Poison, which was my signature scent throughout college -- but it's better. It smells exactly like the description says it does.

I love patchouli, ginger, and orange blossom -- those three were some of the few notes that I already knew I liked before I found BPAL. So this was one of the first BPAL oils I ever tried. Vixen is a dark color in the imp, and it stains my skin when I put it on. After trying lots of BPAL oils, I now know that both of those things indicate that I'll love the scent of the oil. And I looooooooove Vixen. :P

Vixen has been on my list of favorites since the beginning and I expect it always will be. Whenever I smell it I am transported back in time to the evening I first tried it, when I was in total awe that anything could ever smell that good. There's nothing quite like BPAL newbieness, and Vixen brings it back to me.

ETA: Lab's description.

Edited by filigree_shadow

Vixen! I finally received an imp of Vixen as a frimp from a generous forum member. :P Because I love Ravenous, and I love ginger, I was very, very eager to try this one.

In the imp, it's a dark patchouli with a citrusy, sharp undertone. On my skin, it starts out in a very similar manner to Ravenous -- patchouli with a honeyed orange smell. Then, after a few minutes, the sharpness of ginger begins to emerge. And for whatever reason, this combination smells very animalistic and feral for a while -- almost musky. (This doesn't bother me.) But after that calms down, I'm left with a very rich, deep patchouli with gingered honey undertone. It's a dark, sexy, rather smouldering scent that I find very warming and intense.

In the Imp: Dark, swarthy, and sweet. In two words: Dirty Sexy.

Wet: Mostly patchouli and orange blossom, I don't really detect the spicy ginger at all.

Dry: Still no ginger, still all patchouli-dirtiness and orange-sweetness.

Throw: This is pretty damn strong, but I guess no stronger than patchouli typically is itself.

Overall: I'm just not fond of the combination of patchouli and orange. I like patchouli, and I like orange blossom, just not together. The mixture actually upsets my stomach a bit.

Vixen - Upon first applying Vixen, all I could smell was the patchouli and a dash of ginger, neither of which I care for much. As the scent dried down, however, the scent of orange blossoms began to burst forth and mingle with the other scents to create a new and entirely fascinating fragrance. I can still smell some patchouli, but I don't dislike it when blended with the orange blossom. The ginger scent is completely gone upon dry-down. I wear this to bed and can't stop sniffing my wrists. It reminds me distinctly of Hunger -- perhaps that's the orange blossom that's in both of them. When I wake up 8 hours later, the scent still lingers on my arms. It's much fainter than it was was the previous night, but it's still present, which is amazing when I'm usually impressed by a BPAL scent that lasts as long as 3 hours on my skin. I don't know how often I will wear Vixen, but I am intrigued by it and will certainly be hanging on to my imp and trying it again, hopefully sometime in the near future.

This is a strong scent reminiscent of Snake Oil. It certainly stains the skin like Snake Oil. Normally I don't care for orange blossom or neroli, but here, combined with the other ingredients, it's quite nice.

This is a dark, sexy as hell scent that I'm really enjoying. The longer I wear this the more that I like it. It reminds me quite a bit of Snake Oil but without that element that somehow makes Snake Oil sometimes go a bit like marzipan. On me, it's turning vanilla-ish, slightly spicy and just damn sexy. This is a come hither scent; it suits it's name perfectly.

This may be a 10 ml before they go off into the ether. If not a 10 ml, the definitely a 5 ml purchase. Damn, this is a sexy, sexy scent!!!!

Disclaimer: I hated this because of my chemistry, not because it's a bad smell. If you can do patchouli, take my review with a large dose of salt.

This syrupy dark amber liquid is all patchouli in the bottle, thick and woody. There's a hint of ginger, and the faintest brush of florals.

Wet, it stains like Betadine. The patchouli is very, very earthy, the ginger is in the background, and the orange flowers and sort of mulched under by the rampaging hippie-beast. It smells sweet, but very dirty -- and I don't mean that in the "Tee-hee! Please touch my butt!" way, I mean it smells like I need a bath.

The smell isn't sharp, it's very soft and heavy and muffling, and if I sniff it too closely I want to spit because it really clings in the sinuses. It's pretty boozy, and almost smells like vanilla or cola. It's rather similar to Snake Oil, actually, only not at all pleasant. The wet phase of this smells like the extreme weardown of a lot of patchouli perfumes, so for a patchouli lover this would probably be a wonderful choice.

This is not so much lascivious and flirtatious on me as it is unctious and liquored-up. This is a smell I would have to kick out of bed in the morning for being a skanky dirtbag, and also a lush. And don't you touch my wallet, you 'ho!

Then again, "Vixen" may be appropriate. Foxes in heat reek. So there you go.

I've noticed lately how much I like ginger (especially in hot weather), so I'm curious about this one. Dark, reddish-orange color in the vial. On me (and it will stain the skin, so be careful!) Vixen is like a summer version of Masquerade. The patchouli needs to STFU; it's trying to drown the really nice combo of ginger and orange blossom. Even so, it's warm and spicy but somehow lighter than blends in the same "family"--or maybe it's just my association; patchouli w/ fruit blends (like Depraved) feel like summer to me--warm orchard earth. Definitely a down-n-dirty sexy blend, but with a playful side to it.

As I applied this scent, I did a double take and checked the label. Did I grab Snake Oil by mistake? Indeed, Vixen is close on my skin, although I suspect this is an illusion brought on by the spiciness of the ginger. It's a sultry and intoxicating scent that pervades the senses. This is bold and brazen: the sort of lady (and I use the term... loosely) who prefers to make the first move.

Although I personally prefer Snake Oil, I would recommend this to someone who likes Snake Oil in the bottle but has trouble wearing it. You may have more luck with this.

Vixen Haiku,

The thrill of the hunt

Orange tail darts through the brush

Chasing the Huntsman.

In the bottle: Not really getting patchouli. It does smell bizarrely like those chocolate oranges you smack on the bottom to get them to fall into pieces.

On me: The (orange blossom?) scent is actually quite apparent, overshadowing anything else. I also do get the ginger, albeit faintly. Nice, authentic ginger smell. Where's the patchouli? That sort of reddish spiciness, is that the patchouli? The chocolate-orange thing, was that it?

As time goes on, it gets a little sugary, like a red soda crossed with vanilla almost. This one seems to react well with me, but I'm not sure it's my style. Also, the patchouli in this has nothing to do with the patchouli in Depraved. That is an earthy green patchouli, and this is a red one. No, I have no idea if there are 'red' and 'green' patchouli. There just are. That's all.

Vixen

I was almost sure that I wouldn't like this. Patchouli and I don't usually get along. So I was very happy to find that this is wonderful! A warm and close to the skin scent. The notes blend together to make an almost creamy, vanilla with the patchouli nicely in the background to add depth. Like it!!

This decanted imp is circulating as part of the General Catalogue Swap.

In the bottle: A mysteriously syrupy and dark amber liquid. Yowza! Very heavy scent and I want to put it on my skin immediately!

Wet: Initally, it stains like Betadine. Just as someone else observed. Very much redolent of neroli and patchouli. Exceedingly dark and earthy with a hint of ginger.

I'm trying this when I am hungry and my stomach is rockin' and rollin' so it may be the scent as much as the hunger that is making my stomach flip and sending my sinuses into overdrive. The scent is very soft, rich and on the verge of being cloying.

Since I'm rushing through reviews, I'll add comments if they happen to be germane.

This would be a great night on the town scent! But drats! Goes plastic within the hour on me. :P Started so promising!

Safe travels wandering imp!

edited to add important info

Edited by yellowrose

In the imp: Heavy, sharp and musky. Patchouli and ginger.

On the wrist, wet: Musky. Very heavy 80's scent to me.

On the wrist, dry: Not getting much in the way of orange blossom. Getting a lot of a musk sort of scent, I suppose it's an effect of the ginger and patchouli blending. It's earthy, thick and heavy, while at the same time seeming sort of powdery.

Final Analysis: Not at all a me sort of scent. Since there is less than 50% of the imp left, it's going to the frimp pile.

As I applied this scent, I did a double take and checked the label. Did I grab Snake Oil by mistake? <snip>

I have to say that I had the exact same reaction to this as Bard did. I double checked the vial to make sure it said Vixen and not Snake Oil! If this would have been in a hand labeled vial instead of the Lab label, I would have passed this off as someone mislabeled their Snake oil.

From a sniff in the vial, wet on my skin, and total drydown all I can say is that this is an exact duplicate to Snake Oil to me - from wet on my skin to complete dry down - no change at all.

Maybe if you like Snake Oil but can't wear it, this one will work for you.

In the imp: ginger, orange blossom, and patchouli - all blended together fairly well.

On me, wet: ginger and patchouli - the orange blossom is very faint. This is a sweet, smoky scent - man, a patchouli that's pleasant on me? Crazy.

On me, dry: man, this is a *sexy* scent - this gives me the same hindbrain-signal that red musk does, in fact, but with a vanilla-ish creaminess to it too. Sweet and warm and sexy and lovely.

Verdict: I like it. The SO likes it. I think we have a keeper.

Things I've learned about Vixen:

1. This is not a summer scent. Don't let the orange blossom in the description fool you. This is a serious, heavy, sultry scent. When I tried to wear it in July, it left me claustrophic in a cloud of ginger-scented patchouli.

2. The first few minutes are misleading. I thought something in this was going to go plasticky on me, but it calmed down.

3. Vixen lasts forever and a day. I put it on first thing this morning (around 8) and I can still catch wafts of it at 10pm.

4. I don't have to go layering Snake Oil with Shub anymore. I have Vixen.

I must be a glutton for punishment, since I decided to give Vixen another whirl because people are always raving about it. But, I'm afraid it is not meant to be, because it is so syrupy and sweet on me that I can't stop thinking that it should be poured over pancakes rather than worn as a perfume. Bleccch!

I love ginger and orange blossom. Patchouli is a bit iffy, but I've found some BPAL patchouli blends that I really love. So, I decided I needed to try this, and...

Vixen is OMG beautiful! :D

Upon application, the orange blossoms burst forth, along with a deep, sweet, syrupy smell. Then a hint of gingery spiciness peeks out, along with the deep patchouli. But the patchouli isn't sharp like it can be sometimes; it's very smooth and refined (and no, my imp is not aged--I just got it yesterday from the Lab).

I disagree with the Snake Oil comparisons, although that could just be a matter of individual chemistry. To me, the orange blossom and the ginger really make this one different. The scents do share a certain sexy earthiness from the patchouli, and they "feel" similar, but they definitely don't smell the same on me.

Love love love! :P

Woo hoo! Snake Oil with a bite!!!

The description doesn't say anything about vanilla, but on me this has a rather strong (and marvelous) spicy vanilla throw. I have to apply it lightly, or it gets a little intense (but still really, really good). The patchouli and ginger (fabulous combination! Oh, YEAH!) tend to hang closer to the skin, a nice olfactory treat for someone who wants to get closer.

Definitely wakes up the fire element. Lasts at least four hours on me. Wahoo!

:P

In the bottle: reminds of orange, and a little bit like liquor. Eh. Not overpoweringly so, however, and it's very promising. Not enough perfumes smell like oranges.

On the skin the orange (blossoms? I don't smell them.) fades out very quickly, leaving the real scent in its wake. Spicy and just a little bit powdery. It doesn't smell liquor-like anymore, instead it's gotten dry and warm. This one's completely different from the other perfumes I've worn so far, because they reminded of each other a bit. This one's not sweet or smoky, it's somewhat citrus-based and passionate. It has plenty of sharp ingredients, but doesn't have a demanding presence. It just underlines how things already are, in a way. The word that keeps popping into my mind is "hot".

After it dries down you can enjoy the patchouli. The ginger doesn't really kick in on me at all, instead there's an edge to the patchouli that I'd have trouble identifying. Very interesting. --No, sorry. The ginger just takes a while, and then it stays. When this happens, it almost gets salty in scent. Like you've searched for seashells by the sea all day, and forgot to wash off.

What this reminds me of? A labyrinth of thorns that protects something precious in its center. Absolutely perfect if you want to feel smoldering hot for an evening. This is the scent that implied high heels and sexiness without actually saying it. It's like it sends of a mysterious and confident you've never been with anyone like me vibe, which I like.

Definitely patchouli. Not much of anything else though. If I had to describe this blend in a category, I'd probably put it as an Oriental, but I'm not sure why. There's more to it than the patchouli, I just can't pick it out. I am getting something spicier than patchouli in the background... perhaps the ginger, but it's not *quite* a ginger note. Very odd. Anyhow, off to the swap pile for me, very nice blend, just not my type of smellie. :P

When I first got this imp (lab-fresh) the ginger in it jumped out and smacked me around quite roughly; I'm not a huge fan of ginger, so decided to put the imp away for a bit.

It's about 2.5 months old now and completely different. It is similar to Snake Oil, as others have mentioned, and the ginger's not nearly as prominent. Thumbs up!

I got it as a frimp from the lab.

Wet - first time I simply hated it. It just stunk and I have no idea why I put it on the wrist, but I did anyway. Oh my god, I was so glad that I did - once it dryed down, I was wrapped into the the sexy, delicate, woodsy and very worm shawle (made of a very expensive cashmere).

Since then I do not judge the oils untill the "dry down" period.

Later, I tried the snake oil - And as much as I love it wet, I do not like it when it's dry - turnes into odl lady smell.

And, interestingly, now I love vixen wet or dry. Oh, and it is very similar to SO, but works better with my body chemistry.

I htink it is a beautiful scent for the cold seasons.

One cannot wear Vixen without feeling like, well a vixen! B)

I'm so happy to have ordered an imp ear of this one! (It's a dead ringer for Loree Rodkin's Gothic oils, which are wonderful, but ridiculously over priced :P ).

The orange blossom starts out a little strong on me, but after a few minutes the patchouli and ginger make their appearance. After that it just continues to get better. Sexier. Spicier. Vixenier. :D :) ;)

Vixen doesn't soften much. It is has amazing throw and lasts for the longest time. I love this one! :D

I have to agree that Vixen is reminiscent of Snake Oil. When I first put it on, I went, "Uck!" cause of...well I'm not sure. Maybe it was the ginger, but it was this citrus-cleanser nastiness. Fortunately, it didn't last and after drydown is turned into a slightly softer, more powdery version on Snake Oil (which I do adore). I guess this is one to try if Snake Oil is too potent for you.

But since I already have 2 bottles of Snake Oil, I don't think I'll need an actual bottle of Vixen.

Edited by Teggy