Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Vixen

Lascivious, flirtatious, and vampy as hell. A true heartbreaker’s perfume. The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

Initial application, still wet - chocolate, patchouli, orange

Twenty minutes later: powder plastic baby doll

No thanks. And it burned my skin.

Ok, I'm new here, first post. So please forgive my noob-ness. Also, I don't have a trained 'nose' so it is hard for me to describe what I smell...

Anyway, I got my first order a few days ago, and have tried three of my imps. The first two I have loved... then I tried Vixen. I got this one mainly because I thought it might smell similar to Lush's Karma. So far I am not getting that at all.

It smells... like baby powder and play-doh. Very unpleasant and heavy. I am trying to resist the urge to run to the bathroom to wash it off. I love orange blossoms and don't smell them. I like patchouli, and don't smell that. It is very strange.

Baby powder and play-doh. Uck. I want this to work for me, but I just don't like it yet. I want to give it more of a chance, so I'll try to keep it on a bit longer.

But, sad I don't seem to like it right off the bat like the others. :(

ETA: Now that I've had it on for over an hour I can say that it is not quite as offensive as it first was. Sweeter, but still powdery and heavy. I think I can smell the ginger. It is a spicy, warm scent. However it is very much not me. I think it will be my first swap.

Edited by heatherovka

This is one of the greatest perfumes I have ever smelled and aging does nothing to worsen its charm. Definitely a keeper and 5ML worthy. SEXY.

It pays to go through those frimps that you THINK you have tested but cannot remember for sure. You don't want to miss something really good! I've vowed to go through them all again and really pay attention this time! So Vixen was up today.

It might be my early morning nose, but Vixen smells a lot like a slightly less sweet, more patchouli-ey version of Snake Oil, which I love! So I am really enjoying Vixen, too!

This is a bit raw and fresh, I'm thinking. Funnily enough, I'm getting leather with patchouli. Very vampy, and I do like it, but the comparisons to Snake Oil is that it's *kind* of similar, but with no vanilla it's lacking depth. This may be because it's fresh? I like this, but don't love, so probably won't be seeking out a bottle. Now if the orange blossom had came out, it may be a different story. One of my favourite notes, and I don't really get it at all.

eta: Turns out I was too quick on the draw, and the bleeping orange blossom came out, and is it wonderful or what!!!!! This is phenomenal, and an instant bottle purchase. Now it is a dirty orange blossom, vampy and sweet. Snake Charmerish and Snake Oil ish. Kind of like what you'd get if they were kissing cousins. He He. LOVE!!!

Edited by milo

Sweet gingery snake oil, I'm not getting the patchouli, just a little chocolate when wet.

A lighter version of Saw scaled viper

I don't think I'll need a bottle of this but recommend it to snake oil lovers.

This is gorgeous...I love snake oil and this is very similar...I get a hint of ginger on dry down yet no orange blossom at all and i do get a hint of vanilla in this. Lovely, sexy and foxy!

However I have got a fake tan type stain on my wrist now where i put the scent..has anyone else had this problem?

My first review..yay :D

Has a sweet creamy-orange scent with a hint of ginger...I love patchouli but don't get too much from this on me, mostly a warm spicy orange with a hint of vanilla..like an exotic creamsicle?

Throw: a little Vixen seems to go a loooong way..more than a couple drops is a tad overpowering :blink:

Overall a very sexy scent! I believe the BF's reaction was "Yummy" :lol:

In the vial this smells of a deep spicy orange and patchouli mix. On my skin the patchouli takes over from the orange, and it becomes a spicy patchouli with a fading orange blossom scent lingering faintly in the background as the ginger starts to make its presence known in an almost savoury sort of scent. After a few hours it fades quite quickly and turns into a very soft scent, smelling vaguely of an almost completely vanished patchouli...

Frimp in one of my orders.

Huh. Color me disappointed.

In the imp, I get chocolate covered ginger candy. Wet, a bit of orange begins to emerge. During the drydown, the faintest smidge of patchouli emerges too. I'm not the biggest patchouli fan out there, but this is just the right amount, rounding out the scent. I can see why this is so popular, it's wonderful!

Dry, it's plastic. Straight up plastic. Arrrgh.

I may do a locket test. In the mean time, this one is on a "no."

Edit: Unintentional bad poetry going on here. (No more rhymes I mean it. Anyone want a peanut?)

Edited by Kejiaron

It is similar to Snake Oil, but where Snake Oil's components blended seamlessly into something magic, in Vixen the orange blossom rides above the other notes, which are a bit flat-smelling.

I still love it though, but it lasted only slightly longer than Snake Oil on me.

So that's 2 very upsetting BPAL experiences in a row. I'm sulking.

Reminds me of Hunger and Satyr... orangey smelling and patchouli. This is the lightest, most feminine and citrusy out of the bunch however. Pretty nice and I look forward to using it in cooler weather.

In the vial, it's almost all patchouli. It's also one of the more bitter patchoulis I've smelled - probably due, in part, to the ginger and neroli. Color, bronze.

Wet on my skin, here goes nothing. Orange blossom doesn't usually agree with me, but patchouli does, so we'll see how this behaves. So far, not bad. The patchouli is nice and dark on me, with the tanginess of the ginger. Unfortunately, I'm already starting to pick up that damn neroli.

10-15 minute drydown - It smells like patchouli scented play-doh. I don't know why. It just does. Not a fan.

this is strong and overpowering - also sexy and commanding but i don't feel it to be really me so to avoid migraine i needed to wash it off and give it another try later

new try: not overpowering at all but beautiful - patchouli seems to be note that works on my skin chemistry and spices and hint of orange blossoms soften scent into luscious goodness. Somehow this seems to be very similar to Snake Oil so need to analyse both in detail to understand why totally different list of notes give so similar impression but this works so much better on me

In Vice, and now in Vixen I realize there is finally a floral note that not only do I not hate, but actually really love: orange blossom! In the imp this is pretty sharp patchouli, but on my skin its the orange blossom that moves into the fore (same as in vice). Lovely. I think I may need a bottle of this in the future.

When I first smelled this in the bottle, I was ready to throw it back in the cabinet and trade it away. It's got THROW. I smelled a floral (must be the orange blossom) with extremely strong patchouli.

Wet on my skin, it got a little better. The throw was still there, but the ginger and the orange blossom are coming out in full force.

Dry on my skin, this is perfectly balanced ginger, orange blossom, and patchouli. It sweetens a bit to tone down the initial strong throw. It really is vampy as hell. It reminds me of something, but I can't quiet put my finger on what it is. Wait, a love spell candle I got at a store in Salem! I would definitely wear this on special occasions only, though. It's too much for every day or even just going out on the weekend. It reminds me a bit of Coco by Chanel, as a reference point.

Edited by venusinfurs

I wasn't a big fan of Vixen when I first tried it in 2007, but since then, I've had a major skin chemistry shift and have found that several of the old blends I tossed away should be re-evaluated. Vixen benefited enormously from me trying it again. Before, I thought the scent was murky and too deep for me, but now it's pitch-perfect. There's a little bit of brightness from the orange blossom at the beginning, but the patchouli soon takes over and it could not be more amazing. I really think this is the same patchouli used in Snake Oil, so the two scents do smell similar, but Vixen doesn't have that delicious vanilla backing that SO does. Instead, Vixen has a really sexy spice note, which must be from the ginger. I'm not even kidding, as soon as I put this on, I felt like a goddess, and that's what perfume should do, I think. I walked around all day like I was Joan from Mad Men.

5/5

New to BPAL here and trying on Vixen today from a swap.

All I got for the first hour was patchouli and I felt like I was drowning in it. I think my skin decided it was the best scent ever.

5+ hours later and I have a faint orangish scent if I get really close to my skin. Back to the swap list for this one.

I usually like my scents dark, more masculine, resiny and incese, but I really like this scent! It is dark, but it is a bright dark (ironic?) it is female, the neroli brings the girl out, but a powerful woman, a seductress, definately a seducing scent!

edited to add

WOW! This just grows so intoxicating! after a short bit the nerouli completely fades and I am left with this strong incense, I can't seem to get enough of this!!

I think I need to find a bottle! yuuummmmm

Edited by Ella LaRose

Sniffed: Creamy, vanilla-esque sweet orange deepened by glowing patchouli.

On skin: When wet, Vixen is Snake Oil Lite! It has the same depth, sweetness and tone, except several shades lighter. I initially smell sweet, bright orange blossom darkened by smooth patchouli (thankfully the gentler, less pungent variety), and then the zesty bite of ginger emerges on drydown. Now the three notes blend perfectly to create a smooth, sweet and light scent, truly gorgeous, youthful, attractive and wholly feminine. No more like Snake Oil, although I do get echoes of similarities now and again. Perhaps Vixen is Snake Oil's protege who has struck out and found her own voice and unique character. She is also the darker, more vampish cousin of the brighter Khrysee. "Coquette" comes to mind. Colour impression is lush orange edged with glowing, vivid red-brown.

Verdict: Yes, I love this blend. Nothing can top Snake Oil, but Vixen has sufficient presence and character to stand on its own. I was frimped a tester, but I want at least an full imp for keeps!

In the bottle: spicy, orangy floral.

On my skin: Paste...dammit. I've tried waiting it out, but it's still paste.

Banished to the swap/sell pile.

Was a little scared just holding this in my hand, because I was getting nothing but big wafts of hippie patchouli. But I know things change mightily once you uncork, so on I went.

In the imp: Floral with something dry underneath, like powdered ginger.

Wet: A dry, white floral with and underlying strong earthiness and a little tang -- that ginger again.

Dry: Total patchouli plus sweet flowers, smells like dirty candy on me. I want this to be deep purple velvet with shimmers of gilt and sparkle on top, but what I'm getting is secondhand velveteen and chipped rhinestones. It's a very costumey, rather than authentic, kind of depth and seduction. It's making me a little nostalgic for the kind of dorm rooms in college with tapestries hung all over the walls to hide the cinderblocks and standard furniture.

Several hours later: This has faded into something that smells very much like Shalimar on me. Hm. I think this will be a good one for my Snake Oil/Shalimar loving friend.

In the bottle all I got was patchouli and was so disappointed. But after giving it a shot I found it morphed beautifully into a much lighter, brighter scent with the patchouli just lingering in the background. I LOVE this blend and I am so happy I gave it a second chance!

Very red musky; the patch is also prominent in this blend for me. When first trying this, I immediately thought 'this is the base for MME Moriarty' with that red musk and patchouli. This, though, does not have any plum but instead captures this glorious orange blossom that really adds a bit of soft sexiness to the red musk and patchouli. Definitely glad to have a bottle.