Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Vixen

Lascivious, flirtatious, and vampy as hell. A true heartbreaker’s perfume. The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

I smelled like freshly grated ginger for about an hour after I applied Vixen. The ginger then relinquished its hold and let the orange blossom emerge. While this was a very pretty phase, fruity florals are not my favourite scent, so this one will be swapped.

my first review:

My vixen is not like your vixen...

to my nose... there's no ginger here... and I definately don't smell the orange...

When I sniffed the bottle... and while it was wet on my skin... I HATED it... very sharp, pungent... not at all sexy...

My husband smelled the patchouli... and that's ALL he smells...

Later... it softens...very warm, vanilla... lots of vanilla...

sexy and comforting... I love it and could wear it all the time...

unfortunately... everyone ELSE seems to hate it... I've been told that it smells "like patchouli" (the hubby who hates patchouli); "like an old lady's perfume" and "like perfume that you get at a garage sale that's past its prime"... (don't worry Beth... I didn't tell them what it was!!!)

I can only guess that its doing something with my chemistry that my nose doesn't smell...

Oh well... guess I'll have to keep looking... damn,,, gotta buy more!!!!!!

huh. I could have sworn I reviewed this long ago.

Anyways, I'm a ginger fiend and I was quite disappointed by this scent. I got absolutely zero ginger. It was very, very sweet. In retrospect, I think the patchouli went "OH! I love you!"

It's very odd, because I love so many of the components, but the overall impression was very blech.

Got an imp of this in a swap hoping I'd love it since I love patchouli and ginger (on their own at any rate). :D

First sniff:

Patchouli underscored with a sweetness (the ginger?) and a floral note (the orange blossom). I love patchouli and all earthy scents, but, frankly, I'm worried that this one's going to be too sickly sweet for me. I don't do sweet and I don't normally do girly scents, so this might have been a bad choice. I'll try it, though, because you never know what some of these might turn into once they hit your skin. :D

Wet on skin:

An almost candy-like sweetness, like candied orange peels, covering a base of earthy patchouli. This one's wavering between earthy and cloying sweetness on me and it's not looking good. :P

Dry down:

No change, unfortunately. I love patchouli on its own and I like ginger, but somehow the two together seem to have morphed into some sort of ubersweet liquer with candied orange peel in it. :D

The bottom line:

Definitely not for me. I prefer earthy/woodsy scents and this is just not cutting it. Off to swaps with it. Hopefully someone else will be able to put it to some use. :D

The first time I tried this I didn't like it at all. It seemed to get very powdery, and like someone else mentioned, like an "old lady" perfume. Well, I tried it again today, and it's absolutely wonderful. Warm, soft, yet sexy and assertive, a very dark red color in my mind. I wonder if my body chemistry was out of whack or if I just didn't give it a chance to mellow out.

I can't smell the ginger at all, but that's ok.

Will probably buy a bigger bottle.

And this is my first review! :P

Thank you again, xochitl, for sending me an imp of Vixen.

I *love* Vixen. Orange blossom and ginger both work well on me, but I was worried that the patchouli would overwhelm everything else. I am so glad it didn't. Wet, I get a good hard hit of ginger - very spicy and biting. The orange blossom peeks through to soften a little, and by the time it's dry, the patchouli is lurking in the background, but never turning to the mouldy smell I usually get. Fabulous. After about 30 minutes, I smelt my wrist and before I could even think what I was saying, the words "completely edible" had slipped out of my mouth (and yes, I was talking to myself). Just lovely. And a little naughty!

In the vial: Overwhelming patchouli, not sure I'm going to like it - it smells really strong.

Wet: Patchouli, a very biting scent with the ginger that is starting to peek out, trying to hold on to see if this mellows out some when it dries.

Dry: Holy change-a-rooni. The dry down is gorgeous, and I cant seem to get my nose away from my wrist. The orange blossom starts to warm up and copulate with the ginger, the patchouli receding to a spot leaning up against the wall to watch. It sweetens up some and becomes very inviting.

I didnt care for the wet phase much at all as I found the patchouli to be a bit too spicy, but it was worth the wait. Going to have to get a bigger bottle of this.

*sniffing more*

I checked my imp again to make sure I had Vixen...

In bottle, and wet on skin-cherry cola/sweet musk.

Dries down into a very sweet musk that fades on me after 2 hours.

Will try again and maybe re-review. I want to like it!

I smell all the notes wet, but mostly the orange and patchouli. As it dries down, the patchouli shoves the orange out of the way and the ginger disappears all together. I hate patchouli. I would recommend this only for someone that's in love with patchouli.

12 hours later the patchouli went away and I can smell the ginger and orange blossom, and it's GORGEOUS. Unfortunately, I don't have the tolerance to sit through the patchouli-ness to get through that stage.

I have 8 BPAL imps right now, these are my first, and so far, Vixen is my favourite.

I loved the scent in the bottle, it was more orange and less ginger and patchouli. Wet, it stayed about the same. After it dried, the orange toned down a bit, and the patchouli and ginger were more prominent. It made me feel sexy, and I absolutely adore the scent.

Big thank you to Lushalot, umm, ahh, I think she's Ultraviolet over here.

So that's what pure-on patchouli smells like. This actually makes me cough! It reminds me of something, something other than church but that's close and I can't figure out what it is! Damn you memory, come out! Anyway, this is ALL patchouli with some slightly sour ginger backing it. Not a favorite of mine. It's got it's effect on me, but I don't like the scent so it'll have to go sadly.

This review is in two parts because I got two very different Vixens. The first one was very light and clear in the imp, the second one was almost a brown black. Are they the same? Seems unlikely, but here are my reviews:

Light yellow, almost clear version (review one):

This oil smelled soapy on me. I could smell the orange blossom, but it was hard to detect any ginger or patchouli. The orange blossom smells really good though, with a tiny bit of spices, like a expensive soap.

I could see a teenage girl wearing this. It smells young.

Dark, almost brown-black version (review two):

Smells like a spicy patchouli. This one is on the other end of the dial. Loud ginger, popping dark thick resins. Can't hardly smell the orange in this, except when first put on. It almost when into a Darkness/Torment almost hairspray type scent and then goes back into the spicy patchouli.

Wow, this version I like. It's very dark.

Of course the only thing I can think of went I think of this oil is:

" I been living on the edge of a broken heart

I don't wanna fall, I don't wanna crawl "

:P

Note: Got another imp of this in a trade and Vixen is definately the second one and not the clear one. I have no idea what oil the first one was.

Edited by Madame Nyx

This is a very sexy fragrance. I don't get incense like the others, but I do smell a very warm, slightly musky scent, that smells like Night Queen and Kush. The orange blossom is sweet and sublime, and the ginger is spicy and hot. Couple that with patchouli, and what you've got is a delicious, almost buttery perfume. Yum!

Mmmm Foxie!

Vixen had a very slinky bad girl feel to it.

Pretty strong with a slight bit of citris smell when wet, dryed down showing more sweet scents. I think a bit of pungent ginger showed through during the day as well.

By mid day, I noticed a similar not to Kabuki's sweet cherryish scent. Not strong, but noticable.

The main notes I smelled were flowers with a tinge at the edges- I believe that must have been the ginger.

This seems like a fun and sexy scent. I noticed I tended to do the "foxie strut" when I sniffed my wrists. Powerful~ I should try it on around the boi sometime to see his thoughts too.

I like it, not sure if I want a full 5 ml tho. The imp is great!

in the vial: never smelled anything like it. not sure thsi wil be good

wet: patchouli

dry...wow how nice this mellowed, i don't get any orange blossom, it is a ginger patchouli blend that is slightly sweet (presumably from teh blossoms yet not distinguishably orange) me likes.

It took me nearly a year to fully appreciate Vixen. I got an imp in my first order, before I knew what to expect from The Lab, and I was disappointed at first. I was thinking it would be a sweeter, brighter blend, and it's not at all. It's deep and smoky. At first, it's almost too sharp--the orange blossom maybe?--but then it goes right into a dark, smoky scent. This is so sexy, but not quite in the same way as say, O, is. It's more playful, more flirty. Where a date with O would surely lead to sex, a date with Vixen wouldn't be a "sure thing". Vixen would leave you guessing, and love every minute of it.

First Sniff: Astringent. I can really smell the orange.

On my skin: Very crisp and fresh.

After 1 hour: The orange is giving way to the ginger and patchouli. It is very sexy and heady.

Final verdict: Something in th is has turned very green and wet. For some strange reason this reminds me of a lush, magical enchanted forest. One of my favorites.

For me, Vixen was sweet and deep, with a little bit of a glimmer. The orange blossom provided the sweetness, the ginger provided the glimmering high note and the patchouli really rounded and deepened the whole thing.

A young scent, as is fitting. Something to be worn to a rock concert or a bonfire. It really is very vixenish. I don't know how she does it!

As other reviewers have noted, this is very similar to Snake Oil. On me, it's like Snake Oil but with a strong patchouli scent instead of vanilla. The background "spices" are identical. I didn't get any orange, unfortunately. Since I'm not a huge patchouli fan and since I like Snake Oil better, off to swaps this goes.

Vixen is very strong, very syrupy, and very sweet. While I like all the notes in it, somehow they're too heady for me to really want to keep around on my skin all day. The ginger and patchouli really amp up the orange so that it's not a kid's creamsicle scent, but one with more vavoom. I think this would be good to wear in a sweaty, smoky club where it wouldn't overpower.

In the bottle - Yuck! Very sharp bitter, bad smelling.

On me - Hrm... it died down a bit, turned into softer patchouli. I can't smell much else other than the patchouli though. Its alright... haven't decided whether I'll keep it or not.

This was like a warm, sweet, caramelly scent on me that was just plain perfect. I think it's that orange blossom plus patchouli that was great!!!

If I hadn't just bought a 5 ml of Desire, I would Totally buy this one in 5 ml instead. Totally. :P

Vixen jumped out at me immediately at the first real-life swap I went to. It had the earthy musky notes that I really love (being a fan of patchouli). It had some "other" quality which made me nab it up.

I've worn it a few times, and I can't keep my wrist away from my nose. I love having it on in the cold weather, as it makes me feel cozy and warm.

It has a lovely pathcouli base, and makes me think of a musky old library in an old English gentleman's house. Vaguely leathery, and that note that I couldn't put my finger on has turned into tobacco for me. (I think this is the orange and ginger working together) Now when I wear it and feel like I'm standing in the middle of a tobacconists shop. Which for me is good! I love the smell of sweet pipe tobacco (unlit).

Vixen has risen to the top of my favorties list, and always puts me in a better mood when I wear it.

Vixen is a spicy, astringent, slightly bitter orange blossom. At first sniff it smells a lot like Aveda's Shampure--a very sophisticated, "adult," clean smell, but slightly twisted. I'm not sure it's a scent that matches the name, as "vixen" brings to mind a more impulsive, sensuous, "warm" scent, but it is a well-contructed fragrance, and one I can easily appreciate.