Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Tramp

Shango

... The Master of Lightning's ofrenda contains red apples, banana, chili pepper, coconut, pineapple, pomegranate and sugar cane.

Oh, how can I not want to try this, it SOUNDS amazing!

This is a dark oil.

I smell fruit, lots and lots of fruit! Pineapple is the most prominant. Wow, just amazing!

It starts off a big fat pineapple.

When it starts to dry some, I get a big juicy red apple.

Further drying has pomegranate peeking in. A tad tart, but not much so. All of them together, amazing!

I don't smell any coconut, and the banana serves to mellow out some of the tart some. Mmm, I love this!

Edited by Shollin

in the imp- Red. I smell red. By amazing coincidence, the oil is also a lovely purple-red. Not an angry red, but a deep soothing one.

On my skin-

wet- Ohmygod. This is amazing. Fruit, but no citrus. Sunwarmed fruit. Fruit that is sweet and is fresh off the tree and is begging to be eaten. I don't really get apple, but I do get a crisp note, backed by pomegranate, a sweet light note (probably the sugar cane) and apricots, as well as a slightly biting note, possibly the chili.

Dry- Wow. This keeps getting better! The fruits have faded to the back, pushed there by a lovely fruity musk that is slightly spicy. I smell like the mother of all sangrias.

This scent lasted for 8 hours, up until I washed the dishes. As it dries, the fruity musk came out more and more, and the actual fruits faded but hung on. I had been slightly sad that I put this on instead of Underpants, but then it dried and I walked around with my wrist stuck to my nose.

Mm! Shango is a dark oil. I've had reactions to fruit where they've smelled like they're whole and untouched, mushed into a compote, squished into a fruit bar, or squeezed into a weak juice. Shango smells like a rich, dark, wine-thick potion. To me, Shango is chocolatl interpreted with fruit.

The pomegranate's the easiest note to pick out. I barely, if at all, noticed the banana.

Coming from a person who generally doesn't like fruity scents, this is very nice. One can easily imagine this scent emanating from a strong, powerful and muscular African god (think along the lines of Sandman).

Edited by Abberlaine Arrol

I don't do fruity usually, but when I was reading the descriptions of the new General Catalog scents to my only-politely-interested hubby, his ears perked up at the description of Shango. "I bet that'd be awesome in the car," he said, and I agreed. But when I got my order I had to try Shango on anyway, just to see what happened.

Right out of the imp the one-two punch of banana and coconut can smell a trifle acetone-ish, but the sharpness quickly disperses. Dry, Shango is a delicious, loud, sparkly, happy fruit scent that makes me want to use exclamation marks! The chili cuts the sweetness quite a bit -- this is a very adult fruit, in more ways than one I think. Wearing this, I feel like I should be dancing in the street wearing feathers and sequins and very little else.

I adore it. It isn't me at all. But it does, indeed, go wonderfully in the car, which has been renamed Shango, the Subaru of Warriors!

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a word or two: Fruit, then pepper.

In the imp: Banana, coconut, pineapple, and... chili pepper. What an odd thing to smell thrown into what is otherwise a scent not unlike a fruit smoothie.

On skin, wet: ..... Fruit. But not syrupy, cloying fruit. Fresh, warm fruit and a dash of sugar. I don't think I've ever smelled something so very fruity, but also so... unsweet. Not bitter, just not sweet. The chili pepper lends a wonderfully spicy quality to it.

On skin, dry: Suddenly, Shango is very sharp. It's a spiced, predominantly apple sort of scent now, and I don't wear apple well. The other fruits linger, but not quite as they did while wet. As times goes on, the chili pepper becomes ever stronger, until it dominates the entire scent.

Conclusion/Notes: This goes into my "to try in the scent locket" pile. If I can replicate the wet stage there, I'll be snagging a bottle with my next order. If not, then I probably won't, even though after it dries, Shango would make a great room fragrance.

First Impression: Fruit.

Dries down to: Fruit and leather.

Additional Comments: Musty and medicinal; then, it turns into melting, sweet plastic. A lot of the notes that are listed - apple, coconut (love), pineapple - are among my faves and I like the rest, too, but for some reason, the combination just doesn't work for me. I am sadly disappointed.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

Well, I've learned my lesson. Apple and I just don't get along. I had to try Shango anyway--I was really hoping that the apple wouldn't show itself and I'd get the rest of the notes. For some reason, chili and banana sounds like a great combo, and I like all the other notes. Alas, I put on Shango and got apple. Let it sit for a while and got a slightly calmed down apple, with maybe a hint of some other fruitiness behind it. But it stays mostly apple, and unfortunately apple is just one of those notes that doesn't agree with me, so that's that.

In the imp: Super sweet banana with a juicy edge to it.

On my skin: The apple roars to the front and is eventually joined by the chili pepper. Eventually, the coconut starts to round out the sweet and spicy. This is really quite delicious. Some of the other fruit-containing oils I've tried seemed a little too sweet to me, but this is well-rounded.

This is my boyfriend's new favorite scent. I had ordered an imp for myself, but he snatched it and would probably growl if I went near the imp. He even made me order a big bottle of it just for him...keeps asking if I'm sure I ordered it, how long it will take to get here, etc. He's NEVER like this. I hope that tells you something about the powah of Shango.

This review is how it smells on his skin, to he and I. (Though this is definitely gender neutral, and I'd wear it if I could.) :P

Wet on skin: Freshly picked apples, pineapples, and this nifty "spiciness" from the chili pepper. I put it in quotes because it's not like any spicy stuff I'm used to in a scent. It's not like cinnamon of course, it's not like pepper. It gives the fruit a bite that it normally wouldn't have.

Dry: The candy Runts. Specifically, banana Runts, being chewed up in your mouth. Chili pepper stays with it to give it that bite. Mostly, it's banana with coconut. The fruits that came out at the beginning decide to take off after awhile, pineapple being the last to go.

Hours later: Still banana Runts, coconut, and chili pepper.

Like nothing I've ever smelled before, and I love it.

oh man, i'm wild about this one. the oil is a dark reddish brown, thick and syrupy. out of the imp it reminds me slightly of hollywood babylon, one of my earliest bpal loves...richly, darkly fruity, with a luxurious smoky depth.

shango is fruity and pinapple-y, but it's not a "tropical drink on the beach" type of fruitiness...it's much deeper, darker, with a smoky/spicy strength and power. sooo delicious. after a bit, the red apple comes out more...like candy apples...oh man. the sugar cane and the chili pepper have developed in this soft, smoky way. i love this alot. will need a bottle.

In imp: bananas!

Wet: bananas! And maybe a little pineapple.

Drydown: just when I thought I had a Manila clone on my hands, the apple note comes out. :P And now I smell like a fruit stand. A CLEAN FRUIT STAND, THANKS. :D

Ohh, and now I smell like fresh-cut pineapple. And it's stabilized on pineapple. Yay! I finally found a pineapple scent!

This is all in a few minutes, mind. This is the first time I've had a scent do this kind of morphing on me, so I'm kind of excited. Usually it's pretty straighforward top/middle/base and that's it, you know?

In the bottle - bubble gum, pepper and tobacco

Wet on me - I get the apple and the pineapple now, but I also primarily get that bubble gum powderiness

Dry on me - It went lemony and then faded quickly to leave a slight brown sugar smell (presumably the sugar cane)

Courtesy of the General Catalog swap. I’m been wanting to try this one ever since it came out.

In the imp: bananas, mango.

On the skin, wet: fruit, hint of red musk. mainly banana.

On the skin, dry: the apples come roaring out with banana keeping pace. The red musk stays around but isn’t an “in your face” –type red musk. Instead it provides a gentle warm backdrop to the yummy fruit. There’s also a trace of something sharp, which I presume is the chili pepper.

As it wears longer, the fruits meld and the red musk becomes more prominent. It becomes a much more sophisticated scent and reminds me of Corazon (although my memory of Corazon is very, very hazy).

Overall impression: Yum! Warm musky fruity goodness that really sticks around.

Shango

In the imp: Banana

Wet on: still banana with coconut coming out a little bubble-gummy

Dry on: A giant fruit salad sprinkled with chili powder like they sell at flea markets,

and a bit of muskiness.

Over all: This IS what Summer smells like for me, fruity,warm and tropical.

And it layers fabulously with Designer Skin's "Worship Me" suntan lotion. :P

Off to order a big bottle. :D

Huh. So the Power of gunpowder and maleness smells exactly like Hawaiian Punch?

Don't get me wrong. After reading the list of notes I wasn't expecting a traditional perfumer's male scent, but I sure wasn't expecting Hawaiian Punch. It's gone in about ten minutes too. Not the man I was hoping for, obviously.

Lobster Rating

Better than: getting stood up

Shango

In the bottle: Grape soda pop

On me: Still grape pop. I wanted this to smell fruity and summery, with the depth some of you have noticed. But all I get is a candy, like sweet tarts, scent. Darn.

(edit: I read Babylon's review and yes it does smell like Runts!)

Edited by cybra111

at first: very fruity and dark.

on: omg! tons of banana. i've been looking for a sweet banana scent and this definitely has that. there are some other notes, but they're in the background.

1 hour later: fruity, but with banana still leading the way. lovely.

2 hours later: a lush, fruity, hot, sweet scent. i love this.

5.5 hours later: faintly fruity.

overall: i adore this! it's definitely the banana scent i've been looking for.

shango.jpg

Deep, dark and incomperably earthy.Oddly enough it wasn't that long lasting but it is not for the lightly skipping sort of occasion. If you like Shango, you might want to put it in a scent locket, I am sure it would keep very well and broadcast spectacularly. Shango really paints quite a close portrait of the god Shango and I would say it is very successful as a Very African Scent. Tres sexy.

In the bottle: Fruit punch

First on: Fruit punch.. wait, more like sangria, you can really smell the pomegranate and the pineapple.

After a bit: The banana, apple and coconut are becoming equally as apparent. This is almost sticky sweet.

A bit more: It's light enough not to be syrupy, it still has a sticky feeling though, there is an ever so faint spiciness to it now, but boy, it's like sangria without the wine.

Edited by Spastik_Kitty

In the vial: Pineapple!

On me: Pineapple, banana, orange...all warmed up by a hot spiciness. This is an odd fruit blend, but I actually like it a lot!

Verdict: Could I actually be considering a bottle of this scent? I'm digging it! I'll have to remember to wear it a few times this summer so I can make a better decision.

Rating: 4/5

Wow, fruit-a-licious! Sugary pineapple with apple and coconut! I get the slightest hint of pepper and I think it would be nice if it were a bit stronger. But, this is a great foody scnet, different than anything I've tried so far! Oh, so yummy! Definately getting a bottle!

Strong, aggressive and slightly perfumey fruit. I'm not smelling any sugar cane or coconut, which I was looking forward to. I started out smelling the pineapple and banana the strongest, but on the skin it all blends into just a general 'fruit smell'. As it dries, I'm definitely getting something spicy, almost potpourri like. I'm assuming it's the chili pepper. Very nice! Not something I'd want a bottle of, but this is really unique amongst the other fruity scents I've tried. It's deeper and not as sweet.

Shango

In the imp: apple, banana and pineapple with a darkness underneath almost like red musk.

Wet on skin: crisp apple and pomegranate with sweet mushy bananas and coconut, with the crackle of chilli pepper.

Dry on skin: mmm, this is delicious! This is fruit salad, but intensified and with a real punch to it (and I'm not talking fruit punch here!) The first note I get is tangy, crisp apple with pomegranate and pineapple, with a little hint of banana underneath, a little coconut, and a definite warm pepper note. I'm pretty sure there's also a lovely red musk note anchoring all the fruits, blending them and making them sexy-but it's mainly peppered fruit, with a feel of tropical humidity.

After a while: the scent smoothes so nicely! The banana's sweetness with something I'm sure is sugar cane (it reminds me of chewing on a piece of sugar cane, yummy) balances the sharper fruit notes, with the warm chilli on top, and the musk underneath. I love the sweet, rich throw this has.

After a while, it reminds me of Hollywood Babylon and Blood Lotus, that same sweet red musk, though this time with banana and apple and chilli. It's also wonderfully creamy and smooth now-it's now like a fruit smoothie, not a fruit salad, with red musk. and then after a few hours it becomes the most divine, sexy drydown of fruit-enhanced, sweet red musk with coconut on top. Oh boy.

Verdict: this blend reminds me of when my mum once ate a tropical fruit salad in Mauritius which had similar fruits to this, and it was covered with a chilli dressing. But the interesting thing was that when she was eating it, there was a huge thunderstorm, and she was eating this fruit salad whilst watching the lightning flashing over the sea-and Shango is the god of lightning. So this seems like a very, very fitting scent for him. As for the scent itself? It's amazing. This is deep, intense fruit salad with a jolt of crackling chilli pepper. Not a happy, sunny fruit salad, but something darker and thundering. It's sultry and sexy and powerful. I love the heated feel from the chilli, and I also get something at the base of the scent which seems very reminiscent of red musk-and I adore the combination of red musk and fruit! The drydown of the scent is to die for-red musk and fruit smoothie. This is a gorgeous scent all round, but because it's wonderful is very similar to two of my favourites (Hollywood Babylon and Blood Lotus), I don't think I'll need a bottle of it yet, but it's definitely something to keep in mind, and the imp is a definite keeper.

Emoticon rating: :P

Another entry in the "stupid chemistry" ledger: Shango is okay in the imp, kind of smells like banana Laffy Taffy with a little depth to it.

On me it turns into greasy bananas. No thanks.

First impression: Fruity!

Wearing: This is really nice. It has the same kind of fruitiness as Bordello, but isn't as berry-sweet. Looking at the ingredients, I think I'm getting an extremely good blend -- nothing individual stands out. "Fruit salad" is a very accurate description! The chili pepper is mostly evident as a deep grounding under the fruity notes, balancing out the sweetness. It's not what I would have expected for a god of wrath and fire, but maybe the Lab chose to emphasize his persuasive qualities instead. We were in and out all day in the heat, so I kept touching it up and can't make a good estimate on staying power.

Bottom line: This is a definite keeper, and may be a 5ml purchase.