Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
coulrophobe

The Mock Turtle's Lessons

Not quite Turtle Soup: blurry aquatic notes, with a confusing, contrary splort of iris, ambrette, green apple, vodka, white mint and a squish of lime.

Word to whoever said this smells really familiar... it's sort of like a lotion I remember someone wearing, perhaps? I have no idea what makes it smell lotion-y. But it's a delicious, cool, apple-y lotion, with that sparkle of mint and lime, and it's very distinctly a GREEN apple. (Not at all the crisp yellow-red apple from The Hesperides.)

I'm really glad I got this one in time for summer!

ETA: Upon re-wearing, nevermind, it's just lotion-y apple. Really classy apple lotion. Eh. If I wanted that, I'd put some of my Hesperides into an unscented lotion; I wear perfume to smell like perfume! Off to swaps. Edited by modernsaints

In the imp: Apples with a hint of mint

Wet on skin: The mint is beginning to overpower the apple. It's almost a Wrigley's Spearmint Gum smell.

Drydown: This is really morphing in an interesting way. There's a sort of clean, male aftershave smell, or perhaps shaving lotion. Toothpaste and Edge shave gel. No apples at all at this point.

One hour later: Pretty much Colgate regular flavor toothpaste and Edge shaving gel with a teensy hint of Wrigley's Spearmint gum and a dollop of baby powder. This is not an unpleasant scent by any means: it's extremely clean and fresh. However, I think I'd like this more on my husband than on myself.

Throw: Faint. I can only smell it when I'm a few inches away.

Verdict: It's a lovely clean and fresh scent which is unfortunately not me. Off it goes to the swap pile.

In the imp: Fresh and clean aquatic scent, not getting any specific notes here, just fresh and clean-ness.

On the wrist: Hmm, interesting. Still not much on individual notes, still very clean and aquatic. Nice and fresh.

Drydown: Well this has apparently taken a wrong turn somewhere, it never really morphed much...until it morphed into shaving cream. I'm not sure where that comes from, but there you have it. Shaving cream. *sigh*

Soft and sweet with apple and a hint of mint. The lime might be in there too, but it's being fairly quiet. Unfortunately, Mock Turtle's Lessons dries to a kind of generic handsoap. Pleasant wet, but the drydown is completely uninteresting.

Name: Mock Turtle's Lessons

In Bottle: Iris and apple with a watery base

Wet: Apple is the strongest, but the iris is coming out faintly.

Dry: Oou I can smell the mint! It's slowly growing stronger and mingling with the apple in a scent I could never imagine exists! No sign of vodka, and only little bits of the lime.

Evaluation: Nice scent. Probably won't be more than an imp or two in my collection, though.

I think this scent is delightful. Light, green, sweet and springy. Apple stands out, with little hints of mint dancing around the edges. Wears very light on me, which can be perfect when I'm in the mood for that.

vial: The uniocorn plus tears and tea

on me; fresh clean, light fruit and candied citrus

later: maybe my perfect clean scent. Like Szzezpony but lighter and slightly fruiter.

The Mock Turtle’s Lessons

In the imp: sweetness and a very light floral.

On the wrist: The same. Waiting to see if it morphs into anything. Ah, the sweetness is apples! Sweet, crisp apples, warmed off the tree. There’s something watery, there, too, though not a scent so much as something that runs through the apples and leaves holes.

Reading reviews, I’m not getting any citrus or mint at all. This is the second application. The first was gone within 15 minutes.

After…a bit (hey, it’s 0540, don’t expect good timekeeping): the apples have faded, but the floral comes out more strongly. It’s a delicate floral. Lasting longer this time. If I had any idea what time I put it on this would be useful.

In the morning after some sleep: still lasting. Very faint. More like apple blossoms in spring in a warm wind than teeth-crunching apples. Floral has mutated into the blossoms, the two strands combining. Very pleasant.

To my nose, this is a sweet cherry-apple scent with a clear aquatic note. It smells interesting in the imp, but my skin turns it sweet and a little soapy. I almost always have problems with fruit and aquatic notes and this reminds me too much of shampoo to wear as perfume. But there's a happy ending to this story: I gave it away to someone who will love it more.

It starts with an alcohol scent. Um, it’s getting kind-of sewer like. The notes are incongruous. Changing, frequently, sometimes ok and sometimes clashing with itself. Yeah, getting that lime, not so good. Aaaaagghhhhh, Old Spice! Trade.

What I think I'm getting from The Mock Turtle's Lessons is an aquatic note, iris, apple, and lime. It's very pretty and very light. Perfect for summer. Thank you, Labbies, for this frimp, since this is one I'm definitely keeping.

Honest to God, on my skin this starts out mint and turns into Chinese food. I mean, it's okay - made me hungry! - but that's not what I want my perfume to smell like.

The original out-of-the-imp smell was a lovely mint, apple and aquatic mix. So if your skin sticks with it then congratulations.

imp: minty, apply lime! i'm in love! :P

wet: much more aquatic apples. and very, very light. i think i would like for this scent to be a wee bit stronger.

dry: the apple has almost faded completely and this now smells like a gentle floral aquatic.

I'm not a big fan of apple, but I am a big fan of lime. I hadn't worn The Mock Turtle's Lesson's since I first bought it, but recently wore it a couple days in a row, once without refreshing my memory about the lab description, once after reading it.

Day one: Lime! :P A light scent -- at first it smelled like a "lime aquatic" scent, then it veered into green, lime cocktail with a big sprig of mint territory (that is too a territory.)

Day two: Read the description. Apple? Humorous, *Wah-wah* music plays. Now I might smell apple even if it wasn't included in my imp as part of a really odd practical joke. *Applied The Mock Turtle's Lessons*. Oh, yeah, there's the apple. I still got a big lovely jolt of lime first, but this time with wholesome tart apple stirred in. Well, not entirely wholesome since it smelled like a lime-tart apple alcoholic drink, but more wholesome than it smelled on day one when I didn't think it included the kind of treat suck-ups bring for Teacher.

The effect wasn't unpleasant, though. It probably helps that there's a lot more lime scent than apple... as though the apple knows its place as a lesser scent. Good for it! My skin at least, the lime and mint are much stronger than the apple, so I'm left with a lovely lime-mint cocktail scent with the apple adding (I admit it) a nice little touch of tartness.

The loveliness, though, is fairly fleeting. It didn't seem like this one lasted very long (nor did I feel like it had loads of throw). This is a good candidate for ye olde scent locket.

This is a very, very cold scent. When it is wet on my skin, it has a hint of aquatic character, but is mostly lime and mint (more strongly mint than citrus) and the effect of smelling it for the first time is very much the same tingle that you get from an Altoid or something similar. The mint does not stay as the dominant note for long, and it becomes a lime aquatic. THIS does not last long either, and the scent dries down to a very pleasing mint/floral (ambrette?) combination. It is a very, very light scent and I do have questions about its throw if I'm going to put it on my bottle list, but this was an unexpected surprise, as I don't generally like cold scents or aquatic scents, but this one works out very well.

In the imp, I get apple and vodka, with just a hint of the aquatic - it's like the faintest scent of drinking and apple martini on the beach.

On my skin, the apple is complimented by the lime for a very sharp brightness - the iris is in the background forming the foundation.

When it dries, it's very subtle, very low-key - there's ambrette, iris, a hint of lime and a touch of the aquatics. This is my best friend's favorite, so I won't wear this often in consideration of her, but it's very nice.

The Mock Turtle's Lessons is an aquatic that is one of the best "clean" BPALs I have gotten to try. Initially I would have branded it unisex, but the appearance of mint and a hint of floral make it more feminine. This reminds me a lot of soaps that I've used in the past described as "smelling like the ocean". Indeed, it's very cool and watery, but with depth. This one isn't as fruity as I thought it would be. There's a lot of throw and it's long lasting. I think this would be a great one to wear to work -- it's interesting, but professional.

4/5

Got this as a frimp. Without reading the description, I got an exotically fruity/light florally up beat bubble gum type of scent.

After reading the description: cannot detect the "aquatic" note nor the vodka, but if sniff hard enough, I can tell the other notes.

In Vial: very light a tad bit of spice

Wet: Very light fruity floral. The aquatics give a nice back drop to the other notes.

Drydown: So light it is hardly noticeable. I have not been able to really pick out any distinctive notes. It smells like a fruity, floral blend with a hint of aquatics.

This one was so strange on me that i tried it twice, just to make sure the first time wasn't a fluke. Nope. Here's what happened both times.

In the imp: Apples, apples, apples. It actually smells kinda like this green apple dish soap i used to have. (This isn't particularly soapy smelling, but neither was that soap.) It smells distinctly green.

On me, wet: Oh, hey, this is pretty cool. Still getting the green apple, but now there's also a whiff of mint and a definite splort of lime. Quite pleasant. I'm thrilled to see that the mint is not going totally weird on me like it so often does. Combined with the apple and lime, it smells really, really refreshing... and green... like some sort of delicious drink on a summer day.

On me, dry: The apple dries down to be very mellow and subdued. It's like a skulking apple. I don't know where the lime and mint went. All that's there besides the apple now is vodka. Vodka, vodka, vodka. I smell like someone's depressed, drunken grandma. This is weird.

Throw and duration: not much throw, which i'm sad about during the wet phase and glad of during the dry phase. Duration's on the low end of average, which doesn't break my heart.

Overall: I wish this'd stay in the middle phase. Wet, this is something i'd probably wear a lot in the summer. Dry, this is just something weird and sullen that doesn't smell right on me. I'll probably keep my imp anyway, just... just in case something changes.

Huh. This started out light and apple-y. It had a small burst of scent when first applied (and I SLATHERED). It was fruity and smelled so very clean. Then it dried and disappeared. I can barely detect anything on my wrist and what I do detect is apple. But just barely. Such a shame, too because I would probably love this if I could smell it.

In the bottle: Yummy fresh green fruit with hints of floral. Lime, green apple, vodka, mint.

Wet: Fruit and mint reigning. The vodka is fresh but not boozy. Really nice and invigorating, but not in a sharp way. Definitely aquatic. Gorgeous.

Dry: Dries fast. Ambrette coming out, giving this some dry warmth. The iris too, and I don't really like iris, but it's mild. The fruit has almost completely gone - both apple and lime. The mint, without the fruit, is smelling a bit cleaner-ish.

Summary: Morphs and fades INCREDIBLY rapidly. My skin devours this, and I'm left with very faint minty toilet cleaner. Such a sad devolution.