Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackheartedangel

Obatala

OBATALA

Obatala’s ofrenda is soft, white and pure: milk, coconut meat, shea butter and cool, refreshing water.

i totally agree that obatala is a lot like milk moon

i wish it were more coconutty - still on the hunt for something more purely coconut - if it were i would buy a big bottle... but

still, i'm suuuper glad obatala it is a CG blend because now i don't have to skimp when i wear my milk moon for i know i can get this for my fix when that runs out

this is a bit more aquatic, which others also have said, and i think i like milk moon a bit more due to that, but let's see how it ages :P :fun:!

i really love the description and the association of it though, of white

my favorite color is black but i have been bonding with the power and feeling of wearing all white lately

oh and unlike what others have said, this seems to have rather good staying power on my skin :yay:

and i am really glad it is like fresh coconut milk and not nutty like in black coconut of others that i don't react well with.

Edited by LiberAmoris

In the Imp: buttery rich milk. It jogs my memory of Milk Moon. Which didn’t work for me and I ended up passing it on. The smell in the imp is not promising.

On the skin: milk, hints of coconut, but with a twist. At first it is very similar to Milk Moon (or as I remember it).

As it wears, the coconut milkyness recedes and I get what I think is shea. It’s slightly sweet but it remains cool and refreshing thanks to the aquatic note. It’s almost a bit minty on me but not quite. Milk Moon was very heavy on me and turns a bit sour, this does not do that at all and I’m so thrilled. It’s a soothing creamy scent, it evokes feelings like those I get from Snow White, my ultimate soothing scent-wrap-yourself-in-fluffy-towels or a great big hug scent. It's completely different but just as soothing. Just beautiful. Yes, this is a very white, pure scent.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: *Beautiful*

Preconceived notions: Wellll, I'm kind of hoping it's like my much-beloved Milk Moon.

In the bottle: Very much like Milk Moon. I have a bottle of MM and smelling them side-by-side, I barely notice a difference. Cool, sweet, rich milk. I am loving this indeed.

On skin, wet: Warm, rich cream. I can only think of comparing the smell to a texture, and that's the way thick cocoa butter feels (or, similarly, unrefined whipped shea). Warm and pure and comforting.

On skin, dry: Obatala is very similar to Milk Moon, but it is also something all its own. I do get coconut, but it is rich and muted such that it doesn't lend that distinctly-unhappy dusty/chalky thing to the blend that coconut almost always does. I love the fresh, watery quality it has.

Conclusion: I am floored but this. This is Obatala in scent form. As Macha said, don't let your fear of coconut steer you away from this, because it is a most divine coconut. I am fully in love with this, and I will be ordering a 10ml with my next order.

Edited by Aredhel

Oh my, the loveliness of this one. Milk notes are hit or miss on me, so I never thought much about Milk Moon, but apparently I might have loved it. In any case, Obatala may be my new summer signature scent. Soft, subtle, light but creamy, and on me it has amazing staying power. I smell tantalizing wafts of it as I type, and yet it was last night I applied it. The coconut makes it a little fruity, the milk makes it a bit comforting, and I guess it's the shea that makes it the tiniest bit fresh. I LOVE it and will anxiously await my 5ml.

Not having tried Milk Moon yet, I can't make any comparison. But in the imp, Obatala is indeed creamy milky coconut. On my skin, still creamy milky goodness. Later on, I start to smell shea butter giving it rich fullness. Yet hints of aquatic notes in the background tames the rich creamyness down, preventing it from becoming heavy-smelling.

Very creamy comforting yet fresh scent. Another keeper.

ps. Hubby doesn't like on me :P. Oh well.

Edited by mandragora

Milky coconut. I was so afraid this would smell just like suntanning lotion. Okay, so it does a little bit, but the shea butter helps maintain a cool, Summer scent rather than the scent of a tanning salon. I think I might have found a GC scent that is just close enough to Milk Moon to make me happy. :P

This is very nice; refreshing, luminous, soothing, and beautiful. Coconut, not the super sweet sugar coated shreds you can buy for baking, or the suntan oil, or the tropical drink mix, but the whole coconut shebang-meat, milk and shell. At least, how I imagine a half-cracked coconut would smell if you were in the sun, holding it close to your nose-the grounding scent of the woody shell, with the cool sweetness of the meat and the milk.

I like it, and am glad I got a bottle.

Obatala is my new comfort scent. This was the biggest hit out of my last order, and I've been wearing out my little imp (bottle on the way) all over town. It's a beautiful mixture of shea, milk, coconut, and the loveliest aquatic notes. It's so lovely.

Once I get my bottle, I'll be adding a few drops to a milk bath and literally bathing in it. :P

When wet, Obatala smells identical to Milk Moon, I tried one on each arm. But as they dry down, they become quite distinct. Milk Moon is more rich and milky, it has developed an almost caramel tone as it has aged. Obatala is thinner and cooler - I was trying to think of what it reminded me of and I realized it was snow. I actually think this smells more like snow than Snow White does. I also think people who love Snow White will love Obatala - the coconut element is very similar and they are both soft perfumes with amazing throw and tenacity. This one is a real masterpiece, I love it. :P

Obatala helped me figure out that while I like coconut, I'm better off eating it than wearing it because the same coconut note in Eden that made me *slightly* nauseous was present in Obatala. The sad thing is, underneath the coco-not, I could smell the creamy shea butter and it was gorgeous!!! I wish I could tolerate the coconut more!!! :P

Milk Moon... went to the beach... put some sunblock on... met Elegba and turned down the offer of a cocktail...

I get mostly coconut milk from this one (and I know, because I made coconut cake with a LOT of coconut milk over the weekend)! The shea note comes out a little more with the drydown, and I think this is what gives Obatala its sunblock-y note. This stays in the background and gets thinned out by the watery note.

It's thick coconut, like Elegba (which I think is the MOST beachy), but without the booziness. No cocktails for this one. :P

I think I may have to buy a bottle of this... I love Milk Moon, and the coconut just makes it better. With it, I'll be queen of the summertime! :D

Yes, this is like Milk Moon, and Chaste Moon too, but the milkiness of those two blends -- which I love -- are deepened by a stronger coconut note here, so creamy and rich that I am having a hard time prying my nose off my wrist. This blend is a wonderful tribute to the comforting and strengthening qualities of Obatala. The overall impression of white is very powerful... white ceremonial robes.... I want to curl up in this scent and sleep, safe and serene in the arms of Obatala.

This smells a lot like Milk Moon to me. Upon application, I definitely get the coconut note, and a vanilla-y sort of scent. But then, unfortunately, it does what Milk Moon did on my skin -- morphs in to a plastick-y sort of note. It just doesn't work on me.

I received a frimp from the Lab of Obatala with my most recent order. Since I have an imp of it on order as well, let's see how it goes....

On my skin, the initial swabs of Obatala reveal a very sweet coconut oil, reminiscent of suntan oil known the world around. Coconut blends are kind of hit-and-miss: definite zinger with King of Spades and Snow White, but not so great with Black and Blood Pearl (and disasters with Spooky and The Star). It isn't getting better in calming down its sugary sweetness.

The experiences I had with Milk Moon make me a bit apprehensive about what my experience with Obatala will be. I do get a milky hint, but it isn't turning sour or curdled on me like Milk Moon did. The high, sweet coconut note does get a bit mellower, but it's still too sweet for me to really enjoy wearing.

Overall, it's a nice scent, but I don't feel like I can deal with the sugary-sweetness it doles out. Obatala isn't the one for me.

-doreen

At first I thought this was a caramel scent, and now I see it's a coconut scent. I don't know if I should read the descriptions while I'm trying or not. :P I'm usually off on what I think the notes are.

I smell coconut and shea. Very nice summer scent. It takes about 20 or so minutes for the shea to come out after the initial coconut. Creamy and delightful!

First Impression: Coconut cream.

Dries down to: It settles down a bit and a hint of gasoline coats it but that goes away after a while.

Additional Comments: I had great hopes for this one - I love coconut - and I love the initial stage and later stages. I have to try this in a scent locket to see if it skips over that 'gasoline' phase. But, even if it doesn't, it's a keeper.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Obatala is very subtle scent. Very white, very cool, very soft. Softly aquatic coconut meat. How perfect for Obatala! While this is a bit too subtle and plain for me to wear as perfume, I love mixing it into plain shea oil to use as a body lotion. The scent quietly wafts around me all day, reminding me of Obatala's energy.

:D This is what I thought Milk & Honey TAL was going to smell like!

Lovely and refreshing with coconut milk with a touch of sweetness.

Very light and perfect for a summer day.

(Nothing at all like that nasty sun lotion that has an artificial coconut scent. :P )

Love my imp and will be ordering a big bottle next!

I adore this scent - and it is a lot like milk moon :P it's sweet without beinf overpoweringly sweet (and in that aspect it reminds me of chaste moon - only without the floral). the coconut is not overpowering and luckily doesn't have that suntan-oil stench to it that a lot of coconut frangraces can develop. amazingly enough it stays light without dissappearing on my alltogether which is a refreshing change, it lasts for several hours, drying down to a very pleasant milky sweetness that's very comforting. really perfect for summer.

Oh Obatala, how I've been covetting you...

I love milk and I love coconut, and though I didn't know what shea butter smells like, I didn't care--Obatala sounded PERFECT for me. Even better, it sounded perfect for my current favorite rp character, so I've been waiting anxiously since 4/1 to get a whiff...

Let me just prefice my review by saying that I've only been this nuts over a just-released GC blend twice before: with Eden, and with Bengal. Both sounded both scrumptious and perfect for characters of mine. I waited and slathered and obsessed for months over them. And when I finally got them...

I was dissapointed.

But Obatala...

This is exactly what I expected, and I am in heaven :P

The reviewers are right: this is VERY much like Milk Moon, except lighter. I can definately detect the water note, which is WONDERFUL--it actually smells like fresh water (does that even have a smell? :D), not cologne-y or laundry-sheet-like "aquatic." The coconut is distinct and has a bit of "texture" to it, although the milk note softens it up and takes off the harsh edge it has in scents like Blood Pearl (where it smells very "dry" to me).

Obatala is mildly sweet and very cozy and gentle. Those who love the "coziness" of Alice and Dana O'Shee (which also have milk notes) really should check out Obatala. This has shot to the top of my fave GC list, and is now one of my fave BPALs ever :D

In the imp: Buttery smooth coconut with a hint of coolness to it.

On my skin: This is quite possibly the best coconut-containing scent I've tried. So many others I've tried were like, "Yeah, coconut." This, however, is coconut taken to another level. It manages to be fresh and clean, yet warm and cozy at the same time. Definately getting a 10ml of this!

Oh so it's COCONUT that I smell... I swear I knew it was nutty, but this whole month I haven't really been able to place it. Smells very very warm like you were undedr the cover with a sort of musty creamy coconut. But with a tinge of something like tobaco. This is like my third fave sceent right now. I really can't get enough.

Add me to the fan club. This is another immediate classic. I loved the scent of Milk Moon, but as a perfume I find it a little too foody and intense. Obatala is the perfect solution. It has all the sweet creaminess of Milk Moon together with the freshest, most natural cocoanut scent ever, mixed I think with something fresh and aquaic like the bamboo pulp that has been turning up in the Asian moons.

The scent also reflects the Orisha it was named for. It is a happy, hopeful scent that I will wear when I'm feeling down.

Obatala is a beautiful scent! It stays true on my skin from the vial to complete dry down! It is fresh cocout, milk and a sparkling cold water stream. I have seen comparisons to Milk Moon and yes, I can see the similarities. But where Milk Moon is soft creamy and warm, Obatala is soft creamy and fresh, fresh, fresh!

A beautiful cool scent for the summer months!