Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: Closet

Bourbon blackberry buttercream over red velvet cake.

I just retried this one and sad as I am it turned to cat pee on me too. So bad that I had to wash it off immediately. Reminded me of a big ole Tom rubbing against me that is warm and comforting and then he points his butt at me and splash - thick nasty smelly cat pee.

What on Earth causes that? It is so weird.

In the vial: drunken blackberries!

On the skin: this is like Beaver Moon, but with blackberries and bourbon. Seriously delicious. The throw isn't as strong as Beaver Moon (boo!) but there's just something distinct about juicy berries over sugary cake...yum!

I'm *so* glad I snagged a 5ml!

Bottle: Bourban and buttercreeeeeeam...omg....so good. With a hint of tangy berry.

Wet: ...oh boy..The buttercream is...turning strange on me. Oh gods. I can't stand this. Something in here makes me want to gag...I think the berries are turning rotten on my skin because it doesn't smell nearly as good as it did on my sister.

That sucks! ;_;

Wet in the vial and on my skin, this is pure red velvet cake with buttercream frosting. Given that red velvet cake is one of my ultimate weaknesses/comfort foods, this is absolutely gorgeous, although it makes me want to nibble my wrist. As it dries, the blackberry comes out - another good thing, as blackberries are my favorite berries - then falls back under the press of the bourbon, which dominates it until it wears off, though it gives the blackberry a little wiggle room after another hour or so.

I love the initial and secondary stages, but the bourbon sadly is a little bit too boozy on me. Fortunately, I've found that wearing this in a locket avoids that sad fate! Admittedly, it leaves the blackberry lacking, too, but I do still get to revel in the heady scent of red velvet cake all day. It's a bit decadent when sitting at a desk, but having the impression of comfort food when dealing with people's health insurance issues never hurts.

The throw stays decent, the scent heavy but not terribly so, and it lasts for hours. The label is adorable, too! (It's still adorable even when it's smudged by my not noticing that the cotton pad I'd just wet was touching it, oozing oil up it. Whah.)

In the end, I'm terribly glad that I picked this up when I had the chance, as I would have been very sorry to have missed it.

This is the most delicious scent in the bottle. On me, it stays yummy for a while, then fades out and gets a tad cloying, probably because I have super-sweet skin chemisty. I'll hang onto my imp, though, because of high, cakey-fruity YUM factor.

at first: a sweet, berry pastry.

on: very sweet berries. almost pop tart-ish.

1.5 hours later: very faint. still berryish pastries.

3 hours later: pretty much gone.

overall: this is just ok on me, i was hoping for something a bit more intensely fruity.

NOTE: I'm not the only one!! I just typed this up w/out reading all of the prior reviews & I saw other kitty pees!! Phew! I know it is a sad state of affairs when some of us can't dig the hell out of a scent we want to enjoy SOOOOO BADLY, but I'm just glad I'm not the Lone Ranger, here :P

In the bottle: Pure olfactory orgasm material for foody scent freaks… Blackberry buttercream (absolute true buttercream!) MADNESS!!! Slobber… Drool…

On skin: Starts off promising… then takes a BIG, nasty dive… Frankly, what I picked up was boy-cat territorial pee. The blackberry went TOTALLY wonky on me. Alas, I became quite the sad camper – but I rode it out! I’m pretty determined to give every scent a good, sporting try :D

On drydown: Kitty tee-tee starts to fade and luscious buttercream comes back into play, but I’ve been playing ball a little too long with the scent at this point - approx. 5 hours of my odd chemistry playing hell with this scent is too much. I’ve now permanently associated MB: Closet with skunky kitty whizz… And I couldn’t possibly sit through that sort of timeframe for the payoff at the 5 - hour mark again.

Conclusion: I REALLY wanted this one to work for me – especially after smelling it in the bottle – but I guess some things just aren’t meant to be :D

Rating (1-5, 5 being highest): 2.5 (have to factor in that “in the bottle” experience!)

Buy again: Nopers

Monster Bait: Closet - When sniffed in the vial, this is so decadently yummy-smelling that I envision myself lolling around on a bed covered in thick, luxuriously soft, red velvet. The red velvet cake is definitely the dominant note when wet, but as it dries down, the bourbon blackberry buttercream note(s) begin to weave in, out, and around the red velvet cake, and I think I'm going to die of a heavenly-scent overdose. This is by far the most decadent and truly amazing foody scent Beth has created. It's thick, and rich, and luxurious, and makes you feel like a queen just wearing it. Unfortunately it doesn't have much throw or staying power on me, but I think this will do really nicely in an oil burner and/or a scent locket, and I'm definitely hanging on to this one!

This smelled so good in the bottle--like butterscotch candies, sweet and lovely. As soon as I put it on my skin, however, it turned to cat pee. I couldn't even wait for a further dry down because it was just too strong. I'm so bummed, because I was really looking forward to the Monsters. :P

Oh good! It's not just me! I put it on and immediately smelled like a stale litterbox. Or the house of a crazy cat lady. Musty and overflowing litter boxes. Yuckyz!

I adored both Underbed and Underpants. And I was so excited about Closet. It smells so yummy in the bottle. A very heavy cake with oozy cream frosting piled on... Heavenly. And what did I do? Slathered it on. Neck, cleavage, wrists... and immediately reeked of cat pee. :D

Not just cat pee... but the house of a crazy old cat lady. You know, musty and dark and overflowing litterboxes in all the corners. I do not smell pretty at all. And I can't seem to wash it off either!! :D

Wow. I'm really thankful for my relatively uncomplicated skin chemistry (well, at least in relation to BPAL). Catbox and pee? Yikes.

Anyway, I love this blend. In the bottle it smells almost overwhelmingly buttery and cake-y, with just a touch of berry. On my skin the blackberry takes center stage, with the buttercream and the oh so very accurate red velvet cake scents supporting it. I don't really get much of the booziness, other than just perhaps an extra decadent feel to the blend. Even though it's in the 90s here in Houston, I'm still loving this enough to wear despite its heaviness. I think it will be even better in cooler weather, though.

I'm so glad I got a full bottle. 9/10.

Monster Bait : Closet

Woohoo! When I tested this last night, all I got from this was blackberry vanilla musk. Today, I smell the cake. I agree with those who've mentioned the similarity to Beaver Moon. MB:C seems less sharp to me, though. Yum!

I'm always iffy about foody scents but this is really rather nice! There is boozy blackberry and a sweet creamy cocoa scent. The scent is so rich I can almost taste it. Deelish!

BOOO ON SKIN CHEMISTRY!!!!!!!!!!!! Like so many people have had happen, MB Closet was nothin' but aged kitty-litter box. FUNKY!!!

I am heartbroken. Underpants kicked me square in the arse, as did Peony Moon, and now Closet?? This is too, too much!!! :P

In the Imp: Powerful sweetness!

Wet: Cake! Cake! Cake!

Dry: It now smells more like the blackberry bourbon buttercream frosting. All sweet and berryish and just a tad alcoholic.

Throw: I smell like a candy dish at twenty paces...

Overall: While I do like foodie scents, and I don't really mind sweet stuff, I think this is a bit overpowering even for me. Smelling like berries or peaches = good, smelling like cake = not so much.

so, what did I do with it? I gave it to my sister-in-law for her birthday!

She LOVES it. :P

Hypothesis: this is going to be AWESOME.

In bottle: Buttercream!

Drydown: MANGO-APRICOT.

Top notes: bourbon and berries and MANGO-APRICOT.

Middle notes: Buttercream and bourbon and berries and cake! (Not death). Also, APRICOT. (No mango). Then it morphs into that salty note from Shill, berries and bourbon.

Base notes: vanilla, berries, and (wtf) popcorn.

Throw: medium.

Rating. 4.5 out of 5.

Conclusion: awesome in entirely unexpected ways!

Monster Bait: Closet

In the bottle: butter cream

On me: Yes, the butter cream from other BPAL loves that I have! The scent moves into the next stage with blueberries, not too sweet but full and ripe, with a bit of cake. After a time a smoky scent mingles in. Reminding me of Incantation, strangely enough. I do like it!!

It starts off sweet & heavy with buttercream, with a bit of berry mingled in. Kinda similar to Milk Moon... drying down - most of the buttery scent burns off fast, got a ton of blackberry bourbon. Definitely bourbon, because normal berry scent doesn't amplify nearly as much unless it's in the presence of a booze note.

Yummy. :P

Thanks to all who provided me with decants and a bottle, even!

Bottle: The blackberry is most intense in the bottle, I find, as it's the first note that comes forth, riding a wave of red velvet cake essence.

Skin: The bourbon emerges immediately, looking for a good time. The blackberry is flirtatious, looking for the hook-up. I feel like I'm at a decadent restaurant where someone's ordered the dessert bomb and we're waiting for the gueridon to roll up and be set aflame.

Drydown: The buttercreme eventually gets all concerned to behave and smooths it all out, so what remains is a yummy berry frosting, kinda like the icing my mom used to make for my cherry chip birthday cakes with vanilla frosting and raspberry Kool-Aid. Somehow I could see myself fighting the The Closet Monster for this goodie.

In the bottle: Spicy booze with buttery vanilla undertones and cake. Hmmm...

Wet: Rich & decadent whipped buttercream with LOTS of booze in it. Woowee this could definately help me convince Captain Jack Sparrow to come with me. LOL I'm intoxicating and delicious smelling. And now there are berries.

Dry down: The booziness has mellowed out a bit and now it's rich whipped buttercream slathered with blackberry preserves. And again... cake!

30 minutes: Still going strong with the buttercream & blackberries. These aren't the early spring berries... these are fat, juicy and just about to fall off the bush rippened berries. Sweet, but with a little tartness. And the buttercream is rich and creamy. Every once in awhile I get a little waft of the bourbon, which gives it this richness. This is yummy.

Conclusion: I smell like a very expensive dessert in some posh restaraunt. The kind any closet monster would chase after!

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 4.5 .

Edited by Bridey

In bottle: All buttercream, with a faint wisp of boozy fruit.

Wet: Definitely smelling the bourbon, but it's still mostly buttercream frosting.

Drydown: Oh, wow. I can definitely tell that this is the heavy, dusty scent of blackberries on the vine. They're splashed with bourbon, and resting comfortably on a much weaker bed of frosting.

Monster Bait: Closet = Mmmmmmm! Yummy!

In the bottle: White cake with buttery creamy frosting, and just a hint of berry.

Wet on skin: Hmm, just cake now, vanilla cake? Something smells nutty or coconutty...that's weird.

5 mins later: Hello berry and booze! Yum! Now it's truckloads of berries with white cake and thick frosting in the background!

Dry down: Sweet berries all the way.

Overall this is an interesting blend. It smells a little different everytime I put it on, and the whole warping process makes my stomach rumble :P . I love this!

I thought I would love this one.

However, all I can smell is a weird combo of bourbon and blackberries that doesn't seem right.

I'm sure someone else will love my bottles. :P

In the Bottle: Oh, man. Buttercream is right!

On Application: There's the bourbon! But it's hiding behind the rich, rich buttercream. After a minute or so, it smells like a pound cake soaked in blackberry schnapps.

On Drydown: Bummer, the sweetness really disappeared, and there's a plasticky undertone now.

Comments: I can't see letting go of this, because, well, it's closetmonster! I think it'd make a great room scent. But I'll probably swap it.

Verdict: Swap.

I stole a drop of this from my sister and I have to say that this is buttery white cake in a bottle; warm, velvety and round. I don't go for foody smells myself, but I certainly don't mind that my sister smells like white cake all the time now.

Bourbon blackberry buttercream? Bad body odor is more like it. It's uncanny: even in the bottle, I can smell the stale sweat that pervaded my high school gym t-shirt. ("Closet Monster" is right.)

For eight solid hours, my hands smelled like they hadn't been washed in months. Alas, Black Annis is a sweeter scent.