Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: Underbed

Cassia-caked cocoa coconut over angel food cake.

In the Imp -- holy catfish, coconut. and butter in there too, with maybe the teeniest thread of cocoa. But mostly it's incredibly strong coconut. I can smell it from a foot away.

Wet -- again with the coconut -- and wow, that's some alcohol (not listed, so I think my skin is just doing a number on this one). I'm getting a bit of spicy-sweet cassia as it proceeds, too... and something else I can't define, perhaps it's the cocoa. no cake yet.

Drydown -- this burns my wrists a bit. Maybe some cinnamon in there somewhere? there's definately something a little bit spicy that's making itself felt, and it's not just cassia. very sweet, as well. the coconut has faded, and is more of a base now, although it's still hanging around a bit. As it dries I'm getting a little bit of the angelfood, but that's very much on the 'bottom' of the scent.

20 minutes later -- coconut has all but disappeared, and the cassia dominates. again, a hint of cinnamon, and the cocoa is coming through now. I can only smell the angelfood when I'm looking for it, if that makes any sense. Extremely sweet, not particularly fruity, and just a little bit spicy. There's something buttery about it without being buttery, if that makes sense -- it has the roundness and warmth that butter gives, but it's not creamy at all.

Conclusion -- nice, but not one I think I'll reach for often. I prefer MB: Closet.

ETA: oh my god it never leaves. It had decent throw to start with... and I put it on three hours before I went to bed last night, and I woke up over an hour ago, and it's still going strong. It survived a washing, too. Edited by myoubi

i didn't like this when i first tried it.... but now a few months later, i guess it has grown on me?

cinnamon dusted, honeyglazed (like a doughnut, not really honey) angelfood cake.

i think my problem with it, to begin with, is that it is an "adult" sortof rich/yummy/foody scent. where Sugar Cookie or Gluttony or Midway are childhood-sweet scents, MB:Underbed is a gourmand, adult sort of rich food-y-ness.

a little bit of this oil on the back of my hand before i went to bed, helped me sleep through all sorts of noise and commotion in the backyard (concrete trucks, hammering, voices, lumber deliveries, etc).

i don't get any coconut (thank goodness -- unless it is the coconut from Blood Pearl, which is unlike any coconut i've ever encountered before) or milk chocolate, but i do get hints of the dark, bittersweet baker's chocolate that i adore. :P

Monster Bait: Underbed-

(I have been so sad over the failure of Lump of Coal to work well on my skin that I had to try some other foodie scents that I've been holding back.)

In Bottle: Slightly alcoholic, like vanilla over toasted coconut. But not quite coconut.

Wet: Oh, my god, that's beautiful. It's like a mace cake I once baked, with that perfume-spicy food scent. Oh, I hope this works for me.

Dry: OH MY GOD. This is...this is sweet and teasing and fruity and sugar-spicy and vanilla-alcoholic. I can't get my nose away from my wrist. It's delicious. It's fabulous. It DOES NOT TURN MUSTY. I want to eat myself alive. My god, I think I'm getting HIGH from sniffing this. This is the first scent, and I mean first, even over Dorian, that has made me say that I have to have a bigger bottle of this.

Overall: OH MY GOD. FABULOUS.

(I have to try the other Monster Baits; I can't wait. I have to KNOW.)

I'm not sure about this one. It does smell foody and has great throw and lasting power, but it turns just a little bit musty on my skin. I'm going to test it again to see if it's just a weird hormonal thing, but right now I'd have to say that it's not one of my favorite dessert-type scents from BPAL.

This is a yummylicious sweet cinnamony spicy cocoa with hints of angelfood cake and coconut. Mmm! :D Really delicious.

Unfortunately, it burns my skin. :P Blends that are heavy on the cassia or cinnamon tend to do that.

Underbed is so delicious that I'm saving the rest of the imp as a room scent. A few drops in the oil burner and my kitchen will smell like I have a cake baking!

Another one I bought from a fellow addict simply because I liked the name.

In the bottle: coconut cake, very distinct.

Initial application: similar to in the bottle, just a bit sweeter and creamier. It doesn't have that suntan lotion smell that a lot of coconut-based scents seem to produce on me.

Drydown: the throw on this is wonderful. I applied some before taking a nap, and it was lovely to fall asleep with this warm, cakey smell around me. It has great staying power as well, it's been about two hours since first application and it's still lingering around me. It's getting just a tiny bit musty, I suspect that might be because it's now just starting to fade.

This isn't an everyday scent, but it's playful and comforting. Now I want to try the other two Monster Baits.

My newly-created smiley rating: :P

Yummy, yummy! This smells like tolerable spiciness (I would say it's like cinnamon, but cinnamon scents go wonky on me, and this is soooo nice), Gluttony (rum--but the rum note in Underbed and Cassia don't smell like rum to me, but browned something), and a bit of cake. Quite lovely. I don't think it's something I would wear regularly, but it's certainly an exquisite scent.

In the bottle: heavy coconut, surgary sweet. Almost carmel-y too.

On the skin: Yeah, coconut lover's dream. I'm assuming that's cassia; it certainly does have an angel food cake quality as well. Out of the three MB, this is my least favorite. Still smells sinfully sweet!

Yum. This one definitely makes me want to eat my arm! LOL. It smells like warm, spicy coconut at first, but the spice fades a bit during dry down and out comes the cocoa and cake. The coconut stays strong throughout. I don't think this will be an everyday scent, but it is definitely comforting and delicious. I'm glad I snagged a bottle and a decant of this in a swap!

I'm so, so sad that I can't keep this one since it's got pretty much the cutest bottle ever.

Wet: chocolate covered coconut candy. As others have mentioned it's not the suntan lotion coconut but a more foody version (though sadly I prefer the former.) The combo is near cloying, very strong.

Never made it past this stage as I started to get hives on my test spot. Two strikes, good enough for me- off to the swaps. :P

In the vial: Coconut and cake.

Wet: Hmm, very coconut, with an undercurrent of cake sweetness. Could this be a winner foody scent?

Drydown: Nope. Again, it gets sickeningly sweet. I had to wash it off, because it was making me feel ill.

Yum! This is the perfect cake scent! What I was hoping that Eat Me would be on me. The butter in eat me turned "off" really fast, but the cassia and cocoa is this scent really ground it for me. It smells like a chocolate muffin, but in the deep, dark and rick sort of way. This really isn't that sweet smelling, which is probably why I can wear it.

This is going to be a fall staple for me for sure!

Yikes! This one is definitely making my skin red and angry! Which sucks, because it's one of the nicest things I've ever smelled. When I put it on I was informed I made the whole house smell of cinnamon toast. It definitely is stronger than average but not overwhelmingly cassia as i feared. It's wonderfully balanced cakey goodness.

I could sniff it all day, but can't put it on my skin! (okay, I admit it just keeps getting on there somehow..) It has to be said though, that even with the evil skin reaction I am so glad to have an entire bottle! It's great for scenting hair and clothes. Mustn't sniff the bottle on a full stomach though.. makes me feel like i'm forcefeeding myself cake.

I hate how badly I always react to foody scents. This was by far the worst. The cocoa and cassia combined to make my stomach heave like crazy. I had to close the imp to keep from throwing up, and there's no way I'm letting it anywhere near my skin. *curses foody scents*

Yum! :P Oh how I love all of these Monster Bait scents ;)

First whiff out of the bottle is all chocolate cake for me.

Wet on my skin the cinnamon really pops out and dances around with the chocolate cake scent for a bit. It's not a red hot cinnamon, but more of an earthy, natural cinnamon. it almost reminds me of those cinnamon/cayenne pepper chocolate candy bars. Yum! As it dries, the cinnamon completely disappears on my skin.

On the dry down, the cocoa/chocolate scent begins to fade as well and is now in the background....sort of like you're cooking brownies in your house and you can smell the aroma lightly in the air. The final stage of this oil is all angel food cake with a hint of coconut on me. It reminds me of those toasted coconut covered marshmallow balls you buy around Christmas (I think they're called Snow Balls).

I wasn't so sure about this on the initial whiff out of the bottle, but this oil is definitely a morpher and the final dry down is absolutely gorgeous on me. :D I love foody scents. My skin apparently loves anything sugary and sweet. I'm totally in love with this blend B) This is something I can wear every day as well :)

Bravo, lab!! :D

Okay, I've decided that I REALLY need to stop reading reviews and start posting them, especially since I've been around here for so long and have tried so very, very many scents.

And also? I'm on my third (THIRD!) bottle of MB: Underbed. I think it's my favorite BPAL ever, and I can't even put my finger on why.

As I told the seller I bought this from, this is pure toasted coconut CRACK for me. Yes, there's cassia (and it BURNS my inner elbows when first applied), and there's delicious cake that rounds it out perfectly. But it's mainly about the coconut for me, which struck me as odd, at first, because I never knew I was such a fan of it. Here, though, it's completely different, not the least bit like suntan lotion or pina coladas. It's toasted, and brown, and caramelized, and I have a hard time concentrating because it smells so wonderful.

This one is at the top of my foody list; it's even above Beaver Moon and Candy Butcher. Gourmand, yes, but foody enough that I feel hungry the whole time I have it on. Plus, it has great throw and staying power, and doesn't turn on me at all.

*ssssnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffff* :P

Yummy, yummy, yummy. I don't get the cake like scents. On me it's a mix between gingerbread and coffee which happens to be absolutely delicious!

Monsterbait:Underbed....

This was actually ordered for my sister..foody gal that she is..but I ended up with a bottle when she decided to put in an order herself...and ordered this as well. So..I took the extra bottle.

The coconut..always a sucker for that..the angelfood cake I could be persuaded...but cocoa??? Hmm.... :P...I had a bit of a lukewarm reaction with cocoa, mint, and my beloved coconut in Spooky..but I was willing to set that aside to venture into new territory.

Inital sniff from bottle: Sweet...but with a bit of dryness..that reminds me of cinnamon..so that must be the cassia right??? I don't smell the cocoa..which is a good thing..but what comes to mind is cinnamon like note with toasted coconut and sweetness. This is definitely foody...but kind of fun too.

Applied wet on skin: Holy cow cassia!!! :D Wet it's basically the most dominant note...it demands one to notice and worship it. It's a bit dry but coming up behind it is....well..not much of anything... :) HAHAHAHA...tricky cassia..you have obliterated almost everything..but I smell the angelfood cake and cocoa peeking through...

Okay..so right now it smells like a bakery..not one specific item in a bakery..but just..the vibe is of baked goods..not super sweet..just comforting whiffs of foody goodness. I don't dislike it..but I am also not jumping up and down in love with it either..am still on the fence on this one.

Couple of minutes on skin: Cassia has softened up a bit but definitely still in the mix...cake and coconut notes not too far behind. At this point the cocoa note isn't really asserting itself on me.

Ten minutes to half an hour: Truly..I swore I smelled chocolate coconut cake..almost like a german chocolate cake. It was me..the wafting of the fragrance was that of chocolate cake/cupcake with some sort of sweet frosting with coconut. It's really foody to my nose..and if it wasn't so heavy with the cocoa vibe..I might like it more. It isn't offensive to me..but I am not the type of girl who seeks to smell like chocolate desserts..I like my chocolate a bit more complex. The cassia is still there..giving it a bit of a dry spicy kick. I kind of like that.

You know..this cocoa/chocolate note sort of reminds me of Spooky...I know another reviewer noted this also...and I tend to agree. Sometimes..while whiffing..I can almost register that very faint stale/plastic note that had me conflicted in Spooky as well..but it could all just be my imagination.. :D

Hour to 3 hours: Chocolate cake with toasted coconut frosting dusted with cinnamon.

Drydown: Same notes..softened.

Lasting power was impressive-5+hours..with throw soft..it wafted lightly around me.

Bottom Line:MB:Underbed is a fun and definitely foody fragrance. I see it suitable for fall/winter and a home run for people who love gourmand/sweet scents. Again..the toasted coconut was the lure for me..and if the cocoa hadn't amped as much as it did..I might find myself reaching for this a bit more. Alas..I don't see it happening that much but I might as well try it for the SO and see if he enjoys it.

In Bottle: dark Bounty bar (for those not in the UK, a bounty bar is basically a cake of creamy grated coconut covered in chocolate)

On Skin: the coconut fades and is replaced by something almost almondy. So I have almondy coconut, covered in dark chocolate.

Drydown: gains a bit of vanillaness and the barest hint of cinnamon into the mix

Lasts for AGES. I applied it in the morning after my bath and it was still smellable the following morning before I got in the bath again.

WHY did this have to be a limited edition? :P WHY??? I would bathe in it if I could.

First sniff: Okaaaay… this is spicy red chocolate. It’s red chocolate. I swear. It makes absolutely no sense to my nose.

Wearing: It’s pretty spicy until it dries, but by the end of the night, it’s a perfect rich-not-sweet chocolate cake with just a little somethin’ extra. Closet is still my favorite Monster Bait, but this is one I’ll hang onto for chocoholic moments. :P

I must be the only one who doesn't like this. When I first put it on, it's great. But after half an hour, is smells foul. Like tires. I mean that. It really smells like new car tires on me. Has anyone else had this happen?

Spicy, chocolaty coconut cake. Nice, but not quite my cuppa.

I don't know what notes I'm smelling (hating) but this scent is awful. It smelled icky in the vial (I think it's the chocloate note I am not liking? Or cassia?) and even worse on my skin. I can't even describe the scent....sour and acrid mixed with cloying sweetness. Smelled like sour chocolate and whipped cream.

Off to the swaps with you!