Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: Underbed

Cassia-caked cocoa coconut over angel food cake.

Wet - ASDDFGTWHW!!! Cinnamon, chocolate and coconut. How many bottles of this do I need?

Dry - mostly cassia, a sweet soft cinnamon. I know the cocoa and coconut are there, but they are in the background, rounding out this scent but not overpowering it. This is sweet but not too sweet, absolutely delicious. My only complaint it that it doesn't have a lot of throw, although it does last and last and last.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5.

Heaven in a bottle! Gorgeous, strong cocoa drizzled cassia over a bed of vanilla - coconut!! Unbelievably delicious! :P I just can't stop sniffing my wrist! I love foody scents like this, and this one is awesome because it's really STRONG and long lasting; this makes it an A+ in my book! I am definitely going to have to order another bottle, thank god there's still time!! :D

Totally yummy. I am not usually into the obvious foody scents other than chocolate ones, and this one is not a strong chocolate at all. It was a bit overpowering at first, but after an hour, it mellowed to something really warm and wearable, not obviously foody.

I can't discern individual notes, but it is overall a really nice scent. I will have to remember to go lightly with this one. :P

In the bottle: Cake batter.

Wet: Baking cake.

Drydown: BURNING CAKE! BURNING CAKE! OVEN ON FIRE! ABORT! ABORT!

Verdict: Damnable sugar note. Maybe I'll keep a decant and drop the remainder of the bottle in swap. At least when I'm in the mood for it, I can pop it into a locket and not worry about my arm producing a sizzled sweets smell. :P

In the bottle: delightfully foodie, creamy.

On skin: something awful comes right to the front. maybe it's the cassia, but it is overwhelmingly strong and is actually making me nauseous. it's like chemical cookies.

I'm really disappointed in this because I wanted to like it so much.

I get no coconuts or angels.

This is basically completely cassia on my skin. There is a slight cake undertone to it, but barely. I put it on before going to bed, read my book for an hour or so, continuing to check to see if anything peeks out from behind the cassia... nope. I got a snoot full of cassia every time I sniffed it. I don't smell any coconut.

Strange that both of the Monster Baits I've tried have one overpoweringly amped note on my skin. This one is cassia, Closet was bourbon. Maybe I'll have better luck with Underpants.

Holy wow. :D It was well worth the wait to get my hands on this.

In the bottle: Cocoa and cassia. It's not sticky-smelling, though, like you might expect a blend with cake to be. It's a dry cocoa, like powder, rather than a brownie.

On my skin: Lots of cassia touched by cocoa rounded out by the coconutty cake smell floating in the background. The coconut gets stronger with wearing and the cassia loses its sharper edge. This is wonderful at all stages of development. :P

I love foody-scents-that-aren't-quite-food, and this is definitely it. It has edible elements but doesn't actually make me smell like a walking cake. The sweetness is wearable, not eye-watering, and this is just overall fantastic.

Edited by luxuria

Bottle: Sweet and gingerbread cake-y

Wet: Same as in the bottle, but quickly turns sour.

Dry: Sadly, I think this has gone bad on me. Chocolatey, yes. Coconuty, no. I have no clue what cassia smells like, either. Something harsh about it.

Category: Food!

Rating: 3/5; I like the smell but it gets harsh at the end

Overall: This is a wierd cake smell, it's spicy but it's not. The cocao is almost inexistant and the coconut IS inexistant. It's nice, but I didn't like it quite as much as I thought I would.

Bought this bottle off a forumite, as I wasn't sure if it would be something I'd care for. I'm normally not into food-based scents, but the description for this fragrance sounded too good, so I was willing to take a chance.

First off, the bottle label for Monster Bait: Underbed is too cute. I love the little bug-eyed kid! You know that bed's been soiled now!

Super, sooooper buttery in the bottle. The buttery note sort of dies down a little bit, and turns into uber-foody-du-jour. Thick, heavy--reminds me of the smell in your clothes after you've been hanging out too long in Denny's or IHOP.

The cassia comes out to tweak my nose ("Hey!"). It's actually making me enjoy the scent more, as I like spices, and the fragrance seems less heavy, although there is a bit of thickness still lingering.

Like, "Ooh, Underbed, you look like you lost weight."

:::runs over to her friend:::

"Mmm-hmm, honey, you know she's gonna put that weight right back on soon as she takes a bite outta that cake."

I'm unsure. The beginning experience, the oil smells way too foody for me to wear. It reminded me of the butter toffee notes I've experienced in Miskatonic University that made me scream and "gaaah!" until I washed it off. I sense that scent note is still lurking in the wings, ready to let loose again. The cassia note, however, goes, "Wait, hold on, baby. We can work it out." Sure, the cassia smothers the other notes, but I think I actually like it this way a bit better. Smells like cinnamon cookies.

Perhaps allowing the bottle to age a wee bit might nudge my ambivalence one way or the other. If it doesn't work out, I can always pass it on to someone else.

Right now, though, I'm tempted to layer this sucker with some Sudha Segara.

-doreen

*sigh* I wanted to love this so much. I feel as though perhaps my nose is broken? I didn't get cassia, or cocoa, or coconut, or angel food. I got burnt butter. In the imp, wet on my skin, and dry on my skin. Like burnt Ritz crackers, or like Medici said, burnt cake. Sad and horrible on me. Even my husband, whose normal reaction to whatever I put on is a simple "yeah, nice" or "ew", looked at me and went, "Burnt cinnamon toast?". I didn't even get the cinnamon, though.

So strange, and sad. Glad it works for so many, though--means I shouldn't have a problem unloading my bottle!

yes, I love my underbed. I agree with all the good stuff being said here about the scent, and only wanted to burst in with this one comment -- it lasts FOREVER! which is a good thing, you know. here it is 24 hours after I applied, and I can smell the sweet buttery coconut on my wrist. yum...

Underbed Monsters must be slightly more feral then Closet Monsters considering this Baiting Scent contains more snap then its sibling. Definately an effective lure for Underbed Monsters but it seems unlikely you could tame them enough for a tea party.

Dress-up would probably work though.

This scent has the Va-Voom.

Cassia blooms but doesn't overwhelm which is unusual for me. This wears as a skin scent with more throw then Closet thanks to the Cassia. Can't find the Cocoa. Thank Goodness the Coconut is subdued. Very well blended.

I think this is wonderful and will become astonishingly after aging.

This makes me think of Coffeecake, btw. No Snickerdoodles. It's less sweet upon drydown although my chemistry has a high tolerance level for sweet notes.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

i was super excited about this monster bait- sounded SO good, many of my favorite notes!

in the imp it was just kinda "eh". not too excited, but certainly not BAD. some cassia, some coconut, some cake (tho very mild).

on my skin: O.M.G. burning chemicals. melting plastic? somethin' awful, anyway. i don't even get burnt FOOD from this, just horrid chemical doom. :P

In the bottle: I'm tempted to drink it. Smells delicious. I get the cake, and the some dark sugar, coconut and some spice.

Wet: Oooh, smells like baking something really nice. The same as wet, but a bit warmer.

Dry: This stayed pretty much the same the whole way through, leaving me tempted to eat my wrists. This one's going to be a favourite, I can tell. It's the yummiest foody scent ever. *drools* :P

Out of 5, I gove it a 5!

I had such high hopes for this! Unfortunately it's much yummier in the bottle than on me. I can smell the cassia and the cake - though no cocoa or coconut - for just a while and then it devolves into a dark generic baked goods smell that isn't all that special or interesting. However in the interest of fairness, I'm a little burnt on all of my foody scents lately such as Sugar Cookie and Gingerbread. This is nice but nothing I need to buy twice. I accidentally tossed half the bottle over my bedroom carpet and so far it's better off scenting my boudoir than me.

In the bottle: cinnamon-ish aroma

Wet/application: omg! MINI COFFEE CAKES. Spongey cake with cinnamon crumbles on top. That is exactly what this smells like.

Initial drydown: the coffee cake aroma is still there, but just a smidgeon of the coconut peeks out. it's like a platter of coffee cakes & coconut macaroons, all blended into a cakey vanilla smell. It has a really nice cakey throw. Yum. I wonder if my perfume is making strangers think about dessert.

Later drydown: the cinnamon is softer, the coconut is also less, and it becomes more of a generalized cake with just a bit of spice to it. The throw is lesser too now, but I can still easily detect it. This is what I wanted Sugar Cookie 2004 to smell like! It's like that, without the overwhelming play-doh aroma.

Later still: Hmm. The cinnamon is pretty much gone, but the coconut has come back a bit. Kind of like a bundt cake with creamy cononut filling. Yes? yes. The throw is a bit more noticable now that I've walked around outside & it's heated up with my body temp & the sunshine.

This? is love. YUM.

Edited by Diana

This is JUST like Anzac biscuits :P

It's all cassia and coconut on my skin, really creamy and smooth coconut which really amps up with my body chemistry.

The spice from the cassia is just right, but the coconut is pretty much overpowers everything else. The cocoa is there slightly, but not that I can notice it much.

And oh my god, the throw! This stuff lasts for HOURS, and that's when I slather it straight from the bottle. I can't wait to mix it with alcohol and put it into an atomiser, 'cos scents last that much more that way. I wouldn't say it's got the staying power of Pink Phoenix, but it's getting there.

I love it! :D *hoards bottle obsessively*

Edit: After a few hours, the cocoa comes through and this morphs from an Anzac biscuit to a gentle Coconut Rough (chocolate with yummy dessicated coconut mixed in it, for the non-Australians reading this) :D

Edited by lyndsayj

surprisingly, i prefer this one over the closet monster bait. i get a lot of the cassia and somehow this works...i don't always like so much cassia on me...but this reminds me of three witches mixed with beaver moon...cinnamony but sweet and spicy/cake-y. it's dry, yes, but also cozy and fun. very wearable - you don't end up smelling like a bakery (not that i would mind that, heh...) - it just strikes me as less overtly sugary sweet than i thought it would be. like it a lot.

First Impression: Coconut cake.

Dries down to: The coconut and cake disappears almost immediately and it becomes a very dry scent - more like coconut husk. It's probably the cassia amping up on me. I don't get any cocoa at all.

Additional Comments: I was hoping for more of a fresh coconut scent, since I love coconut, but this is more of a stale, very dry scent - like an abandoned coconut shy booth at a long gone carnival. It's not horribly awful but I don't really like it.

Lasted: A few hours.

Rating: 2 out of 5

First a disclaimer: I have a strange, deep-seated dislike of coconut. I'm pretty sure it's because my mom once made an Easter cake for us in the shape of a giant bunny head and the entire thing was covered in coconut. She dyed some of the coconut blue for the eyes, pink for the ears, etc. More coconut than my six year old self could shake a stick at. Ever since then, I can't stand coconut to the point where I can't drink pina coladas (despite my intense love of pineapple) and dread the smell of most tanning oil/sunscreen (even though I love the beach and used to go all the time). For this reason, I was a bit wary of the coconut in Underbed, but I couldn't resist the little Monster Bait.

In the bottle, it smells like yummy cake. So far, so good. Another sniff gave me a strange note that reminded me of those tubes of gooey plastic sold with skinny red straws at the drugstore - my sister and I used to spend hours blowing bubbles. It's not an overwhelming note, but lingering way in the back, waving across the room to me. On my skin though, the scent spends a few minutes as cake and then morphs into a dry nutty smell. At first I thought maybe it was the scent of dried coconut shells but it's more of a sweet nutty smell, like hazelnuts or maybe macademia nuts. Definitely not what I was expecting, but in a good way!

ETA: A few hours later, the nuttiness faded away, leaving a lovely light vanilla scent similar to Underpants (before Underpants goes papery on me). Very nice.

Edited by candygirl

First sniff from the bottle: I am overwhelmed by cassia. There’s a hint of coconut cake, but it’s hard to sniff around that cassia.

On, with just a tiny dot on my hand: Cassia…Cassia…Cassia! I can smell vanilla cake crumbs round the edges, but mostly the cassia, all over the place - soft, spicy, rounded cinnamon – it’s even covering the coconut. The vanilla cake is just there, but buried underneath. More cake comes out the longer it wears, and barest of barest hint of coconut shavings. This is the foodiest cassia I’ve smelt so far and it is really good, though I don’t think it is one I’d wear often.

Hmmm, different days, different reactions… The second sniff: I can smell a caramel coconut biscuit! And on: Light vanilla and coconut cake soaked in a cassia and caramel sauce. I still get that biscuity feel too, I guess that’s the cocoa. And there’s even a little sugar sprinkled on top. The cassia is definitely still there but doesn’t seem so strong now. And the sillage is wonderful! There’s a delicious cloud of yum around me. Towards the end, it’s still cassia, plus vanilla and caramel, and the coconut’s gone a touch like toasted coconut, but it doesn’t become overly coconutty. Goody.

PS: I was nervous about trying Underbed on, the allergy factor could be high as the cassia seems to be a similar strength to that in Red Phoenix and RP broke me out in rather unattractive red welts. Funnily enough, not the first time I used it, but the third time. With Underbed, I’ve had just a pale hint of redness, but no burning redness like with RP. I’m still wary though…glad I’ve got my scent locket if I need it!

I dithered on this scent, and ended up not buying Underbed at last month's will call so I was interested to try it again when my decanted imps arrived today. I don't see cinnamon in the scent description, so now I'm wondering if cassia is similar (pardon my ignorance!) because on my skin, dry, this smells exactly how I'd hoped Gingerbread Poppett would be.. and it wasn't. Rich foody, gingery, cinnamony goodness. Unfortunately for me (but fortunately Paypal and bank balance) I'm allergic to something in this and I had a really bad skin reaction. Raised red welts with a burning sensation everywhere I dabbed the oil. *pout*

Edited by GypsyRoseRed

straight sniff from bottle this reminds me very much of a crossbreed of trick or treat and gluttony....thick and buttery.....hmmmmm :P

once applied the cassia is forefront...after 15-30 minutes the cocconut and cake notes come through...thankfully it never turns plasticky!! after a few hours it reminds me very much of gingerbread and not much more...although the whiffs i am getting are very nice this seems more of a cold weather scent to me...

i'm still on the fence with this blend.....it is strong and very bold.....i think i may need to put underbed away for a few months and see what happens :D

I bought a decant of this only, not a bottle, and I'm glad I did.

This is certainly a nice, cakey perfume. It's warm and spicy, with the cassia really taking centre-stage. It reminds me a great deal of freshly baked cinnamon-ginger cake, and is really quite delicious.

But it's not something I want to smell like, and the cassia overwhelms me a little. I don't get coconut or cocoa, sadly, just the cassia.

Underbed...now THIS is one I'm having a hard time trying to come up with a sensical description for... :P

The fruity/cinnamony cassia is wicked strong, with cakey undertones. Cocoa is playing a side note, but there's no coconut really, unless it's hiding until later on. It reminds me of a really strong cassia cake with a sprinkling of cocoa. Odd, to say the least. Certainly unique.

Overall, I wish the cassia note wasn't so overpowering, and let the other scents into more play. It's not my favorite of the three (Closet has that distinction :D ), but I think I'll age my two bottles and see how they develop over time.