Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: Underbed

MONSTER BAIT: UNDERBED

Cassia-caked cocoa coconut over angel food cake.

in the bottle: very dry cocoa, and cassia

wet: almost entirely cassia

as it dries it mellows and softens, becomes a soft sweet cassia scent, w/ a dusting of cocoa, i am assuming the sweetness is the angelfoodcake in the description, but mostly it just sweetens this.

this is not as foody as i expected it to be, it is quite wearable.

This smells like warm coconut icing over a fluffy angel food cake. Sweet and a little nutty. The cocoa reminds me of the chocolate in Spooky (this doesn't smell like spooky - this just reminds me of it) where there is a dry, powdery edge to cocoa. My god, I really want some cake right now.

Whee! I love the label. I can't wait to see what Underpants looks like.

From the bottle, this smells like a slightly bready muffin, like the kind of cake that comes out of the box which you just add eggs and oil to. Kind of eerie, actually. This reminds me a bit of Beaver Moon. On my skin, the cassia pops out as a sort of spiky, spicy herbal note hovering over this cake batter. The spice gets stronger and stronger, and turns sort of peppery.

Over time, it just... kind of stays a spicy coconut vanilla. But, it definitely retains that special under-note that says 'cake from a box! Angel food cake from a box!' It is nice, but I don't think I need to load up on this bait.

When I sniffed this in the bottle, I got so much cassia that I was very surprised. However, it calms down on the skin immediately. I found that all the elements really came into balance and I agree with Shelldoo - the effect once you're wearing it is not screamingly foody. It's more like the scent that wafts out of a bakery - all sorts of delicious things are being baked and you are smelling cakes, chocolate cookies, coconut pastries, and can't really pinpoint one single goodie out of the melange.

Warning - this is foody enough to make you crave something sweet, though! :D

After being so happily surprised by this and by the Closet monster bait, this former non-foody fan is being converted and drooling in anticipation of teh UNDERPANTS :P

In the bottle: YUM! Definitely a spicy edible scent. Big Red came to mind...

Wet: Really potent cassia and cocoa....

Drydown: Definitely a bakery scent. Molasses cookies with hot cocoa and whiffs of the golden crunchy outside of angel food cake (the best part!).

A complex, warm and cozy food scent.

This scent is driving me nuts because it reminds me of something so familiar yet I can't put my finger on it. Wax tart? Candle? Suntan oil? I can't remember. Mostly what I smell is vanilla with a hint of lemon. Not harsh like Lemon Pledge but soft and just enough that the cakelike scent isn't too foody. I'm amazed at how much this calms down out of the bottle because it seemed quite strong at first. After a bit I can smell the coconut and I think that's what seems familiar - very reminiscent of suntan oil. Like angel food cake and Hawaiian Tropic mixed together :D It works really well though :P

Edited by miss apple

BPALMBUB.jpg

In the bottle

I smell buttery caramel. I was worried that this would smell a bit like Spooky, because as you know coconut hates me. "MB: Under Bed" smells more like Mitszvah but more buttery and less burnt sugar. Reminds me of a cross between "Midway" and "Trick or Treat" a bit, but less candy like and more buttery rich.

On

Oh my. This is really good. It smells exactly like Angel Food cake with coconut just as the description suggests. And it is good on me thusfar.

30 minutes

Gets a little toasted coconut smellng is the only difference.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Foody

Summary

This is a thick and rich angel food cake and coconut scent. Yummy.

Purchase again?

Yes!

1-5 rating (5 being best)

In the bottle:

I don't know what Cassia smells like. I imagine that's what I'm smelling straight from the bottle, because it is totally unfamiliar to me.

On me:

I looked up Cassia and found the description of it's scent to be very much what I'm smelling now - it's a very dry, cinnamon like smell but unlike cinnamon - I totally hate this. It's got a very odd smell to it - it's spicy and dry like cinnamon but there is a tinge of sweetness that turns my stomach. Unfortunately, at no point do I get angel food cake or cocoa in this.

Final notes:

I plan on adding Cassia to my unliked notes list, if that lets you know how I feel about it now. This just doesn't work on me, the Cassia drowns out anything else that would have been there

I'm enjoying the Monster Bait series---there's just something so childlike about them, like a pure surrender to the joy of sweets.

Underbed is a much 'drier' blend on me than Closet was, probably due to the cassia, which is quite strong at first but backs down on my skin pretty quickly. After a few minutes, I smell like angel food cake, unsweetened chocolate, and the barest dusting of coconut. It's good.

I'm a foody girl, so maybe I'm inclined towards the gourmand blends anyway, but even my boyfriend noticed this one. He said I smelled like a 'spicy cookie', which is a running joke as everything smells like that to him, even the florals... But after he said it, I realized that the drydown of Underbed really does smell just like a snickerdoodle. So maybe he's on to something there. :P

Mmmm, cassia and cocoa. This is a dry kind of sweet. The coconut didn't turn to tanning lotion on me like it usually does, but comes out in little wisps here and there smelling thick and meaty. I don't get the angel food cake, but I didn't really get the cake out of Closet either, so I guess my skin just doesn't want these to be as foody as they sound.

This is really spicy and dry and not overly sweet, but sweet enough to keep it from being powdery.

I was worried about the cassia in this one, because my skin really amps up cassia and cinnamon (though I like cassia and despise cinnamon - cassia is dryer and less piercing on me). In the bottle, the spicy cassia and creamy coconut are warring with each other. It smells delicious.

On my skin, this is a lot darker and not as sweet as I thought that it would be. It smells like I dusted my wrists with bittersweet dark cocoa powder and a bit of cassia. Not overpowering cassia at all.

After an hour, Underbed has sweetened up a bit, but still doesn't have the full-on sweetness of Closet. The coconut might be offering a hint of creaminess in the background, but I never actually can pick out any coconut, so it seems to be the weakest note on me. The lovely, fluffy vanilla cake scent does get stronger though.

Smells like angel food cake coated in dark cocoa powder and then lightly sprinkled with cassia. I think that I actually like Underbed even more than Closet. While Closet smells like a mating of some of my favorite scents (Glasgow and Beaver Moon), Underbed is a lot more unique. I don't have any perfumes that smell quite like this at all.

Underbed is a darker, naughtier foodie blend :P This will be one that I purchase many multiple bottles of.

on me, there's no cocoa, no cassia. on me, this Monster Bait is ALL buttery yellow cake topped with buttercream frosting. and it's STRONG. i tested it on the back of my hand on a whim, taking just a drop of it on the end of a clean toothpick and smearing it on. i had just slathered on a bunch of Snake Oil prior to that at all my pulse points, and Underbed SLAYED the Snake Oil. it was all i could smell!

i must have slaughtered a bunch of folks on the train this morning! :P

about 1 hour in, Underbed turned very plastic-y. i began to despair, but after another hour it faded and i was back in the Yellow Cake (not Uranium!) Bakery :D

now, at the end of the day, i am left with the clinging scent of caramel & Sugar Skull Brown Sugar clinging to the back of my hand.

this scent is incredible fun!

n.

Very sweet frosting and toasted nuts. The nuts turn out to actually be toasted coconut and there is definitely a vanilla cakey sugary sweetness around the edges. If it was possible to get cavities from fragrances, this would certainly do it. Very sweet!

When I first put Underbed on I nearly cried. Crikey, what is this yeasty, beasty thing? It smelled like yeast or meade or some other eee word. Foody, yes, but not the kind of foody I was thinking of. I started to despair. Why must I always grab these foody blends like some kid coming down off of a sugar high? Why can't I just be happy with the scents I have and love, why oh why oh why---

And then came the drydown. Ooooo, yesssss, the drydown of all drydowns. The yeastiness is still there in the background, but a soft, creamy coconut came out that made me go all gooey inside. Luscious and unusual. The only scent I can compare it to is Chaste Moon, but I think I l ike it even better than that, despite the yeasty stage.

I got a compliment on it almost as soon as I left my house. It's that good.

I've been wearing it with Closet. The two compliment each other nicely.

BUT, I have to add, this blend makes my skin where I apply it turn red and itchy for at least ten minutes. It kind of burns as it goes on. Here's the sick thing--I slather it on anyway. It's so worth it. It seems that the more I put on the less I feel the burning, like my skin has toughened up to it. I find it only mildly annoying, but if you have very sensitive skin you should be careful when applying it.

Can I roll in this? Or buy a 500ml? This is the best stuff to every hit my BPAL box. It starts of all Cassia and sugar, like cinnamon cake and the drys down into a soft, lusious cinnamon roll. Just talking about it makes me want to go put some on.

Umm...WOW!

This is stunning.

At first (wet) it's very sugary....almost too sugary...I wasn't feeling it.

As the dry down begins...oohh cassia lovely cassia and sugar..and something else....oh yes cake mix!

the dry down is pure cinnimon rolls to both my husband and i. lovely!

the onr problem...itchy redness, hopefully i'll get a scent locket soon.

I never liked foody scents before. I disliked vanilla and wouldn't even consider wearing something with chocolate in it, of all things. Then I discovered BPAL and, like a lot of people, had my ideas of what works on me and what doesn't turned upside down. Dorian started the ball rolling, when I realized that not only do I like Beth's vanilla, I love it, crave it, maybe even need it. So, I've been giving other foody scents a try, and the Monster Bait series is just so fun that I couldn't resist, even with things like chocolate and coconut in the blend.

I've never wanted to eat myself before, either, but I'm very close to trying just a nibble of my wrist, just a little one.

Right out of the bottle it was almost pure cassia, which I liked because cassia and cinnamon both work well on me. It took about half an hour before I started getting a very dry cocoa scent, like very high quality bittersweet baking chocolate, and underneath that a creamy white cake scent that I think must be the coconut.

Yes, it does smell like a sugary vanilla cake swirled with cinnamon and dusted with bittersweet cocoa, but somehow it's not a foody scent. I don't smell like a little girl or like a bakery, I smell...well, sexy, to be honest. Maybe it's the cassia, but Underbed makes me want to put on something slinky and dance slow and close to Janis Joplin's Kozmic Blues.

To me, Smut was do me, do me, do me now, tackle the next person I see and have my way with them, and while Underbed's just as sexy, it's a sexy that takes its time. It's the scent of a slow tease and a long buildup.

Apparently, foreplay smells like cocoa, cassia, coconut, and angelfood cake. Who knew?

In bottle: Mmmm. Rich coconut cake slathered with chocolate. Man, does this ever make me hungry!

On me: It is still richly coconutty, but I find that the cocoa is so dusty that it makes the cake seem rather stale. It lacks the moisture of a cake fragrance - it seems more a cookie. It just isn't the same delicious brew as in the bottle. Pity.

Um. Monster bait Underbed. How cassia you are. Cassia with extra cassia. Now, on the other hand, I did get a compliment on this when I test drove it. I may glom onto it with mucho love with a few more wearings. But after test driving it once, I am kind of left wondering where my angel food cake and coconut is. The cassia is not quite cinnamony- it's a bit dry, a bit unsweet, a bit cocoa-y. It also has this sort of butter-biscuit underscent, a little like a dry but buttery cookie I think. I like that bit. I just feel overwhelmed with the cassia of it all at the moment. Perchance this one will age beautifully though, and meld well. It could very well. I am not quite ready to rate it with a number yet. I will wear it a few more times and edit. I do think I won't need an extra bottle though, thank goodness. (Unlike Closet, which I totally adore.)

Edited upon pondering: I find that the cassia fades eventually to a more reasonable level, and that the later drydown of dry-buttery-biscuityness is quite nice. It keeps smelling crunchy to me, isn't that weird? It does take a while to mellow though- about an hour or so, longer than most blends that need mellowing/drying time. It is extremely strong I must say- stronger by far than Closet, and it lasts amazingly well.

EDIT: Actually the cassia grew to annoy me. I can't stand that note, I can't wait it out long enough to get to the buttery undertone. I realized it smells to me like a Beaver Moon variation gone bad. (Indeed, I now realize that the "cheesecake crust" scent in Beaver is a friendly amount of cassia.) Instead, I will use my Beaver Moon joyously, and get rid of this one. I'll call it a 2.5 out of 5, for the yummy undertone killed by the evil cassia attack. And yes. Cassia irritates my skin, which explains why Beaver Moon gives me the itchy scratchies too. (A lot of BPAL actually irritates my skin, so I wasn't surprised at all that this did. Unless I moisturize constantly, my wrists usually have a few hives from BPAL use, and dry scaliness... yum, huh?)

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

I love this sassy gourmand blend, which isn't too foody, and therefore absolutely wearable.

Unfortunately, it hates my guts. Its out for deep dark evil revenge, turning my porcelain skin a naughty pink and stinging like the devil it is.

Why oh why!!!!!!?????? :P

I'm super bummed, and sad to give this one up, but I can't be jumpin' in the shower every time I want to smell delicious.

In Bottle: Chocolate and cinnamon cake

On Skin: The cassia is strongest, it’s like a sweet cinnamon note… also reminds me of gingerbread. I don’t smell angel food sadly, I love the smell of angel food and was hoping that would be the dominant note but it’s not. The coconut sweetens it just slightly. The cocoa note is actually very light, I wouldn’t call this a chocolate scent at all. This scent is a tasty baked goods scent, all sorts of baked goods, carrot cake, gingerbread, coconut cake... all mixed together. A bakery scent for sure, it makes me hungry right away. It’s not exactly a scent I want to smell like, people will probably wonder what kind of cake I’m carrying around. Very spicy and sweet, a nice room scent for the kitchen maybe? Strong throw and staying power.

Underbed reminds me of a spice market, where all the spices are in open containers layed out on the same table. Like you are standing by the cassia and cocoa and raw sugar are next to the cassia. This isn't foody in anyway to me. Very spicy! I am in love with it!!!

Underbed is a scent that needs to be very carefully and slightly applied. A little goes a long way with this! The throw is incredible and so is it's wear. This is going down as one of my top favorites!

In imp: Mmm, spicy coconut. Maybe just a hint of cake, but very faint. This is great!

On skin: Oh dear mother of God, make it stop burning! Worst reaction I've ever had to a BPAL oil. Huge red welts are popping out wherever the oil touched my skin - including my finger tips. Trying to wash off not helping - had to have an immediate shower. The only scent I really picked up was screaming cassia, but I was more than a bit distracted. No way can I wear this.

Hmm... can't wear it, don't want to get rid of it...

Highly diluted in bath water: Much better. Oh, this is nice - I'm getting this wonderful scent of cinnamon roll with just a hint of coconut. It's giving me all sorts of ideas for my next culinary adventure.

Overall: 4 out of 10 - love the scent, great idea, but it's not going to score high points if I can't put it on my skin. Nice in a bath, would be great in a locket, but I want to be able to wear it.

I love Underbed. Wet, it smelled very cinnamony and sweet. On me and in my scent locket, the spice sticks around but becomes a bit softer and the cake smell comes out more. And thankfully, unlike Spooky, this doesn't turn me into a Very Special Episode of "It's the Great Evil Coconut, Charlie Brown!" I ordered one more bottle but am thinking I should have gotten two. :P

In the bottle: yum! Spicy cassia, reminiscent of Red Phoenix/Blood Moon, with a super-sweet undertone of cake and chocolate.

Wet on skin: mmm, now I can smell more of the cake scent through the spice, and to me, it's more like a biscuit smell, but it's delicious! Coconut's coming through as well.

Dry on skin: omg I want to eat my wrist. This smells so scrumptious. It's a dry scent, floury almost, and more like a biscuit/cookie than a cake, but that's not a bad thing at all. It's sugary and wonderful and smells so edible-it reminds me of cinnamon covered biscuits. The cassia is almost like cinnamon, but has a darker aspect that cinnamon doesn't have, and also has something to it that doesn't make it overly foody. I also smell a dusting of cocoa powder and shreds of coconut over this yummy spicy biscuit scent. I really want to eat myself, or drink the bottle.

After a while: eventually, all the notes balance out nicely. The cassia merges with the coconut and cocoa and settles on the sweet vanilla cake. It is so sweet, but not sickly sweet, thanks to the bite of the cassia, and at this point it also smells more like a fluffy white cake than a biscuit. It's still a very dry scent though-like a cake with no icing, but that has been dusted with spicy cocoa powder and coconut and then topped with extra sugar. This is a bit like Beaver Moon without the cream cheese. In fact, I think I prefer this to the Beaver now.

After an hour-hello coconut! Now it really does smell like coconut-almost tropical but not quite-with the spicy chocolate cake underneath.

The drydown of this scent as like coconut cake, or one of those coconut biscuits…only with a little hint of mischievous spice and chocolate, eventually fading to dry sugared coconut with memories of cake and chocolate just lingering.

Verdict: this is such a fun scent! I never used to be one for foody scents until BPAL changed my ways with the likes of Midway and Beaver Moon etc, and now this. This is a truly edible scent of cake dusted with cocoa, sugar, coconut shreds, and a sprinkling of naughty cassia. This is a lot drier than the foody scents I'm used to-it's a floury dryness, which seems fitting, and it's almost dusty at times (like I imagine it would be under the bed! Again, very fitting!), but this dryness makes this scent resemble a spicy crispy biscuit/cookie at times, and I like that. I love the way that cassia, unlike cinnamon, has a dark side, and isn't blatantly foody-it adds something different and interesting to the coconut-cocoa-cake scent. The drydown is more coconutty than I was expecting but I like that as well. This is a delicious scent, and it certainly induced some serious cake cravings. I think I might need to get another bottle!

To sum it up in a smiley: :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut