Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Monster Bait: Underbed

Cassia-caked cocoa coconut over angel food cake.

Grrr. This is sweet coconut cake. Just that. Sweet coconut and cake batter.

Where's the chocolate you promised me? Where?

Damn you coconut.

this is super spicy and i definitely get the cocoa but not much else. almost smells like it's burning. thumbs down from me.

OMFG, this is nummy white buttery cake. The cassia is brilliant, softer than cinnamon, but woodsy warm and softly spicey. Just a touch of coconut here, lovely and dry. No cocoa to my nose, but that's not such a bad thing, given how delicious this already is. Not too sickly sweet either, it's on the dryer side of sweet, so still wearable without becoming cloying.

Spicy chocolate cake.... SUPREMELY foody. I find that if I put more than a tiny, tiny droplet on my decollete, it becomes overpoweringly sweet. But I dig it in moderation :P I actually prefer this to Underpants.

In the vial: mostly cassia, but prolonged sniffing reveals cocoa and coconut too. It's foody without being a recognisable sort of cake.

Wet on skin: cocoa and dry spice - like the sort of no-bake cocoa, sugar and coconut/oat balls my kids like to make, only with extra spice added. Nice, though like the others, unusual!

Dry on skin: the dry spice starts to dominate over the cocoa and coconut. The coconut is very sweet, like the note in Snow White. This has the strongest throw of the three. It's really just strong, dry spice over a layer of coconut. Rather nice, but not amazing. After a while cocoa creeps shamefacedly back and tries to pretend it was there all along! But the throw is really quite similar to Snow White.

ETA: While the dab on my arm didn't cause irritation, the larger dab on my shoulder had me itching all night and the next morning too! I guess that's cassia for you!

I can't wear foody scents...except for this lovely one. This is a buttery, creamy, smooth and sweet scent...with just a little bit of cocoa/gingersnap bite.

In the imp: Thick vanilla and sugar, with an undercurrent of ginger.

Wet: ... Odd. Breadier (? that's the only way I can describe it) than in the imp. Coconut and ginger with what I suppose is cassia. Nice! It smells like it should tickle the nose, or burn my skin, but it doesn't. I think I detect chocolate.

Dry: There's the same chocolate note from Candy Butcher in here. It's sort of like the Candy Butcher's raunchier, louder cousin, but with spice and swagger instead of subtlety and smoothness. I think layering the two would be incredible.

At first it's pure cassia (like powdered cinnamon but different). Then it gets sweet and I get subtle whiffs of angel food cake (surpisingly) a bit of chocolate comes out every now and then too. The cassia is always up front with the others coming in a bit to sweeten it. I was suprised by this becasue I don't like spicy scents and thouht this would be sweeter but I love it! :wub2:

In the bottle - This smells exactly like a Mudslide, no lie! Well, like a mudslide cake. :D

Wet - This backed off to a very faint "cake batter."

Drying - I demand more Kalua to this mudslide! :( I smell nothing unless my nose is RIGHT up against my wrist. What I do get is cake batter with some faint cream and chocolate. However it's almost all cake batter, at least what I can pick up at all.

Dry (2 hours) - Pure cake batter now. Bah. A little on the playdoh, too.

Overall - Did I expect it to work for me? Nah, not really.

I received a bit of this as a lovely xmas gift, and I can see why it is such a popular scent among my fellow foodies! I actually forgot what the notes were when I tested it, and I definitely got that it was cake, but I wouldn't have guessed cocoa, cassia and coconut. It just smells rich and somewhat "red"-- I can't remember what red velvet cake actually tastes like, but that's what I imagine when I sniff this.

I can smell the coconut now that I know it's there, but it's not a very spicy scent on me and I can't pick out a chocolate note. It's just a dry, warm, sort of powdery coconut cake with something additional to make it complex (and admittedly addictive-- I can't stop sniffing my arm to try to place the notes). It's really delicious and I will (carefully) enjoy the small amount I have. :D

Hmm I thought I had already reviewed this, but I guess not. Monster Bait: Underbed is very sweet cassia on me. Probably not my first choice, but I do like it. It's warm and comforting.

I like foody scents! I hope this one works, but at the same time I kinda hope it won't--what are the chances of finding more if it's great?!

In the imp: Coconuts and frosting!

Wet: Delicious coconut shavings on delicious moist cake.

Drydown: Cassia and cocoa come out to olay. It smells a little less spot-on cake,

Later: This settles down to be light and tasty. Crap. I was afraid of this. It totally works.

Brand new, this was a blast of cassia and a bit of a graham crackery scent. Just death by cassia pretty much. I ruined the label, decided it was unswappable consequently, and stuck it away in the backup bottle drawer and forgot about it. I decided to try it again for no particularly good reason recently. And it was about a thousand times more wearable, shockingly. The cassia had backed off into a much softer, less insanely strong note, and the cake had amped up into, well, actually cake. In a good way. It is still a potent scent, a smidge is plenty, but it is finally as wonderful as I had always hoped it would be. The label's still smushed but at least I can finally use it! It really is much lovelier a few years old.

I just got a bottle of this and it is my first experience with cassia. I was surprised because a lot of reviews compare cassia to cinnamon, which I am not a huge fan of smelling like, but cassia is definitely different. Can't quite put my finger on how that is, though...

This one reminds me exactly of the coffee cake my grandmother used to make, esp in the bottle.

On the skin it dies down a bit, and there is definitely a cakey element there, but on me is was mostly spice. Not really cocoa or coconut, sadly, but perhaps it is hiding in the sweetness? I think this is a lovely and very wearable blend. It is a bit stronger than I prefer, but I think I will wear it often if I remember to go easy on the application. And I was expecting the cassia to give me a rash since that seems common with folks who have sensitive skin, but it didn't!

Chocolate and cassia in the imp, promising. On my skin, the same, but the coconut is coming roaring to the forefront. Oh no, please, coconut, keep your head down. Aaand coconut ends up taking an even footing with the rest of this, but I like the proto that I have of this better.

Edited by Venneh

I get mostly sweetened coconut with a hint of chocolate and cinnamon. Thanks to sunshinedaisybliss for making a sniffie of this one for me!

I love this! I wish I knew what cassia smelled like...I'm getting yummy coconut shavings with a dusting of cocoa powder and the lightest, fluffiest white cake, not heavy and dense but more like...Angel Cake :)

In imp: Cocoa, coconut, and something almost boozy.

Wet: Oh my, that is delicious. Chocolate coconut heaven! The cassis lends a little heat and spiciness, and from the way my skin is tingling this is not a scent I could wear on my inner elbow or behind my ears, but it definitely gives it a little punch.

Dry: As it dries the cassia becomes peculiarly dry and powdery, like the cake really is dusted all over with it. I don't get much angel foodcake, just a touch. Unfortunately the cocoa and coconut fade as this dries down, keeping it from a perfect ten score, but then, a ha, is the angel food cake to compensate. Beaurtiful foodie scent, absolutely wonderful! I just wish the coconut had stayed out to play longer. 5/5

Edited by Whisperstilled

Underbed smells like one of those chocolate-coconut candies...Mounds? For a while I smelled something minty but now that's gone and I smell plastic. This is too foody for me...

-----

I have a 1/2 decant of this now (1st test was a drop from a soaked qtip) so I can do a better review. The cassia is very intense upon application, but after 3 minutes it starts to fade and I smell a lovely chocolate-coconut cake. I love that it's not too sweet and foody and I'm thrilled I can wear it because cinnamon oil irritates my skin and cassia doesn't.

Edited by mxtine

Spicy, cocoa coconut cake. I swear there is ginger inside, but it's really just the spiciest of cinnamons. I love how I can just barely detect the cocoa, usually chocolate scents overwhelm everything.

On my skin, I only get the cocoa and cassia at the very beginning, when first applied. I'm left with a white cake that is heavily doused in sweetened coconut. I don't mind that a bit. :D