Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Odin

... His scent is dry elm bark, amaranth, warrior’s musk, and Odin’s Nine Herbs of Power.

Oatmeal. Manly, manly oatmeal.

Go figure.

First sniff: Powerfully masculine. This is a scent with hair on its chest. It’s more resinous than herbal, with a wooden background.

Wearing: Sweeter than I expected, a resinous sort of sweet like honeyed incense.

Mmmm...this smells like I hoped it would: thick, strong, of wild northern wood - perhaps the tree in which the King of the Aesir hung for three days to achieve wisdom? - and the musk of fur and leather, of He who presides over the souls of the glorious slain in mighty Valhalla...even a horsey note, as if you'd just climbed off Sleipnir after giving that eight-legged steed a good ride.

More the scent of the Grey Wanderer of myth than the pompous papaw of the Thor comics...always thought that guy was a dick, well deserving the ass-whoopin' threatened, but sadly never delivered, by Mangog.

I flipped a coin to see whether I'd get a bottle of this or the Bow and Crown of Conquest: Ragnarok beat out Armageddon. But then, Valkyries are sexier than the Four Horsemen any old day...

Goodness!

This was a frimp, because while I wanted to try it, I was afraid of 9 herbs being thrown together that mythologically had nothing to do with scent.

They work! Herbal, but not at all in a medicinal way. At first, I thought it might be too masculine for me, but a little while later it got warmer and sweeter :P

I really like it!

In the imp: Very woody

Wet: This is easily the woodiest BPAL I've ever tried. Wet, there's a slight bit of an herbal kick to it, but it just smells like a forest.

Drydown and wear: As it dries down, it becomes more herbal, and the musk comes out. I'm going to guess that this is black musk, because it's not quite sharp enough to be white, but it's not behaving like red musk usually does on my skin. Black musk is slightly offputting to me, and it messes up this blend for me, so I'm afraid I'll have to swap it.

On first application, this smells a lot like an expensive aftershave or cologne. Nice, but generic. Definitely masculine. As it dries, however, the wood and sweet notes distinguish themselves. The musk underscores the notes, but over time grows to dominate the blend. It's nice, but ends up being too musky on me, if you know what I mean. Ah, well.

In the bottle: Tree bark and herbs, nice!

Wet: Sweet herbs and woods, that has some kind of aftershavey muskiness to it. It's also very green, which is yummy.

Drydown: I get mostly very spicy woods, that become rather sweet and perfumy as they develop. There may be some red musk here, very discreetly. It goes quite powdery and sweet, as woods tend to go on me.

Overall: My skin really isn't made for woody blends. I only get one really insistent woody scent and possibly some red musk, and it goes all powdery on me, which is very unpleasant. Really simplistic on me, I do see how it could represent a robust god, but that's pretty much it.

:D so much better than i could've expected. i :P this. i dont find it overwhelmingly masculine at all. it's in the same vein of haunted and titus andronicus but is clearer and a bit sweeter to me. i get amber, musk and some slight woods/herbs and maybe a slight touch of clove? it smells very clean to me, but musky at the same time. adding this to my big bottle list promptly! Edited by theseagrows

Sweet and herby to start off with. A comforting smell without being too strong. Smells woody and slightly fresh without being too cloying. A nice scent, in my top 10 at the moment. I don't get the musk that everyone else does, at the moment, but we'll see when it dries down fully. I'm not sure if I'll buy a bottle yet but it's wonderful.

I got this one on impulse, seeing that the description didn't mention anything that goes very wrong on me.

On imp: Just manly, with a buttery undertone.

Wet: It gives me a headache, more specifically a nasty tickle on my sinuses.

Dry: Cheap man's cologne. Ick.

My lovely partner got this (among many others) for me for my birthday.

In the imp it's scary men's cologne -- I can't smell any musk or anything.

On my skin -- at first, omg please don't be vetiver, please don't be vetiver... it stays like this for about five minutes, and then it starts turning into something sweet and woody and musky. It's another lovely scent -- can't measure up to the really good resiny yumminess of Minotaur, or the evil dark muskiness of Czernobog, but it's pretty good.

In the imp: Smells distinctly woody and herbal, but the musk keeps it from being pure forest. I have no idea what amaranth is or smells like, so I can’t comment on that.

Wet/Drydown: Mmm… sharp and woody and herbal, with a sharp spicy musk. Wuh – warrior’s musk is right. I think if I smelled this on a man, that man would immediately become my personal jungle gym. This is a sharp scent, but it’s comforting as well – it really is like a strong, fierce warrior who has a soft heart when it comes to his woman and his family. Now there’s a vaguely sweet note creeping into the blend, but it really works. Oh, this is just delicious. It’s fresh and natural and woodsy/planty, yet sharp and animalistic and… well, kinda naughty-dirty, in a way. It’s sexy as hell.

Dry: Becomes significantly sweeter and more resinous. The woody/herbal notes have gone away, leaving me with the musk. I’ll see how Odin is after a few hours.

This is one of those scents which, to me, has no discernible single notes. The overall impression is very masculine and aftershave-ish.

At first it is quite soft and warm, with the bark smoothing things out. Later, it becomes sharp and herbal.

Later still, the woods return, and the whole thing goes back to a smooth, resiny, manly scent. A keeper, but not a top 10.

In the imp: herbal, musky.

Wet on me: Uh-oh, woods coming out straightaway -- this might not be good. There's a strong musk note as well which actually overpowers the woods.

After a few minutes: Musk and crushed herbs -- that's nice. Still pretty woodsy, but not turning on me yet. Who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky. Very Manly. Like a butch version of Ochosi.

Drydown: Rather creamy and yes, still musky. Unfortunately for me, it's STRONG woods, which don't suit me as perfume. *sigh*

Anyone who loves musk and woods should get their paws on this one. I suspected it wouldn't work on me but have great interest in the Old Man and so wanted to try it anyway -- I may use it as a room scent/on my altar.

ETA: Hang on -- maybe this is wearable after all! The woods aren't coming across so foosty this time; maybe the musk is helping the blend on my skin. Smells more like a pile of freshly-chopped wood. Good stuff!

Edited by Baitu

In the imp I smell woody spices and a sweet resin.

On my skin the sweetness amps up and turns into spicy/sweet urinal cake. :P

Not a keeper, but hopefully this imp will work for someone else.

In the imp, it smells herbal and musky.

On my skin: Omg, I have to wash it off. It is sickly sweet and sharp. It reminds me of some organic polymers :P

Odin on me seems to be musk and wood. Very sexy but not me. I'll keep this imp but I won't get a bottle.

imp: musk. and lots of it.

wet: this has a smokey, gritty tone with the musk. i think of gravel, or gravel mixed in with dirt. that's what this belnd reminds me of.

dry: the musk faded to something more subtle, though there is still a faintly gritty feel to this scent.

i'll toss it on my husband's imp pile and see what he thinks.

imp: musky herbs

wet: reminds me of my mom's Fendi perfume

dry: the Fendi-like note has faded nicely, and this smells dry, a little smoky...I think I smell cedar? It's soft and warm, like the smell of a sauna. Very comforting to me.

Odin is a protective figure for me, so I'm happy that I like this scent and that it matches my sense of him. It is a little masculine for me to want to wear as a regular scent, but I am definitely keeping my imp for times when I need to feel protected/comforted.

In imp, I get a very woody smell (likely the elm bark) with the herbs.

When I put it on, it's a very warm, dry scent - all wood and herbs, still.

Once it dries, it's all musk (it's a nice musk, I like musk) with just a hint of herbs. This is nice, but I have a lot of musk scents, and there's nothing super-interesting for me here.

In the imp it has a very strong musky, herbal scent. I accidentally got some on me, and it smells pure musk/wood, like a herbal incense. Dried, it's become completely dusty, woodsy incense... Not something I want to smell like.

When I first opened the box the first imp I opened was Odin to apply on my boyfriend, since I chose it with him in mind. It smells very nice on him, completely different... And lasts a really long time! (He says he can still smell it and it's been close to 48 hours!) On him, it turns herby and slightly floral on his skin, but in his beard it retains the musk and what I assume is the amaranth and elm bark, but not incensy at all, which is good because I don't really like that smell. I'm not sure which I prefer (on his skin or in his beard,) but if he wants it I'll definitely get a bottle for him! It's pleasantly sexy on him, but not overpoweringly so (I was afraid he would smell like a cheap date), but all I can say is: mmm, yum!

When he first put it on he said he was happy to have the power of mighty Odin in his beard, and I agree!

Update: The more I wear this, the more I *love* it. It's a very comforting smell (I'm probably equating it to my boyfriend at this point though.) At first I didn't think I liked the incense, but you know what? It's definitely grown on me, and I have to say that a 5ml will have to be bought. Both my boyfriend and I pull it off, although it smells better on him, it's definitely going on my list of bottles I need to own. Even if I never wear it again it smells so gooood on him! Mmm, yum!

Edited by Pincushions

Received as a frimp. Not at all what I expected from the description. On me, this smells rather like Snake Oil - quite yummy - enough so that I wondered if it hadn't been mislabeled. But there's one difference ...

... my dog is insanely obsessed with Odin. Not when it's on me, but in the vial. He stole the vial twice (how the heck did he get it the second time?), and finally got the top off and ate all the oil. (Fortunately there were no ill effects and he didn't crunch the vial.) This is completely off-the-wall behavior for him. He has no interest whatever in any of my other BPAL scents. Something about Odin was just too much for him. Must be that "warrior musk", huh?

Teacher, I couldn't finish my report because the dog ate my Odin. :P

a woodsy, sweetly spicy masculine blend, with a hint of green herbs. very dry, very dark, more complex than a typical men’s cologne. the elm bark is the strongest note on my skin. the warm musk is there, but it’s mainly woods. i would guess there’s cedar in this, as well as the elm. i want to go wake up my husband so i can slather this on him right now! :P