Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Odin

... His scent is dry elm bark, amaranth, warrior’s musk, and Odin’s Nine Herbs of Power.

Imp:Sharp green leaves
Wet: Fresh crushed green leaves, camphor
Drydown: This is very masculine. It's a heavy herbal scent. There is something subtly sweet trying to step up (must be the musk), but it's beaten back into submission by the dark herbs. There is something camphor/menthol in this, could be eucalyptus...not really sure.
Overall: This is too medicinal. It's not too bitter, it's just too herb-medicine like. I must be amping the "9 herbs of power" because I'm not getting any musk. This has a lot of throw. A little bit is all you need. Edited by catattack

Imp: Menthol. Eucalyptus and/or camphor? Do people use camphor in perfume? That's kind of crazy.

Wet: Camphor. SRSLY. Also: bark.

Dry: This winds up kind of generic and green. I think there might be red musk in this? Not certain. Musk and bark and camphor. Menthol, at least. It adds a really great cooling quality to the scent. I like my musks and spices but this is musk and spice cooled down for the summer season. I can't determine if I think this is awesome or if I'm really not that into it.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Unsure. Do not like wet stage. Kind of intrigued by drydown. Knowledgeable that I have bottles upon bottles of musky pine scents. Do I honestly need another bottle of something so similar? Am joyous that this is GC. Kind of wondering why I can't use proper sentences.

Very masculine, and mostly a musky, woody blend to me. I have difficulty with picking out notes in masculine blends, as I generally don't wear them. This fades pretty quickly to a rather "crisp" scent. I don't mind it, as it's pretty subdued for a masculine scent, but will most likely send it off to a better home.

Inside the imp, I definitely smell the elm bark and herbs.

On the skin, strong herbs and wood. Musk emerges as the oil dries on my skin.

Very masculine scent.

I think this one might benefit from some aging. Wet, this was bitter and sharp. Brash even. I almost had to wash it off. A little sour smelling as well. I held out and about 1/2 hour into it, this got softer, and a little quieter. It turned powdery on my skin. I'll re-try in after a couple of months, but for right now, it's just too biting.

Starts dirty. It's one of those really interesting-sounding blends that's not working well on me.

Deep woody and leafy in the imp-rich and musky. Definitely masculine.

This is a deep, woody cologne-y scent on my skin, with a touch of bitter herbs. As it sits on my skin, the woodiness becomes more leafy, green, and viney. I like this from far away, a pretty fresh woodsy cologne scent, but up close it's got a kind of old, wet leavesy smell that is hard to describe.

On full drydown the old leaves smell dissipates and I am left with that soft woodsy cologne scent. This has great staying power and a nice throw.

Dust. Dust with a hint of musk and decayed herbs. Oooooh :D I can't wait to try this on my husband! It's very subtle and rugged on me and I have the feeling it will be dead sexy on him.

In the imp: Tar and herby. A hint of camphor and menthol?

Wet: Sharp and tart, like a sour sweet. Getting menthol. It is like a small subset of Olbas oil. Hint of sweetness too. But not unpleasant.

Dry: Sharp with a herbal undertone. A slight musky air is over it. It smells like being in a glade filled with herbs in a dark forest. These aren't kitchen herbs mind you - they are more dark and brooding.

A while later: The sharpness has faded. It leaves a lovely dark herbal scent with a tinge of sweetness. Overall, this scent smells slightly "serious" and complex and deep. This is what I would expect a very experienced fantasy setting healer to smell like. Very nice.

Imp: Wet grass, and menthol.

Wet: Pine-y,with a cool musky scent under it

Dry: smells like pine cleaner on me :(

There's a lot of cedar in this blend. Dry, cedar and herbs. Once in a while I like smelling it, but this isn't something I'd wear. It's too masculine for my tastes.

In bottle: A powerful herbal musky scent. Delightfully complex.

Wet: A clean musk, redolent with herbs and an almost woodland magic.

Dry: A touch powdery, slightly sweet, slightly spicy, very herbal. Absolutely wonderful.

Notes: A great scent for those who love the woods. It puts me in mind of ancient rituals performed deep in a primeval forest. The herbs give it a feel similar to incense and overlay that wonderful musk.

Well, I got this recently as a frimp and it seems that Odin, in some form or another, has been following me as of late, so maybe I should research him a bit more. Anyways, onto the review:

Wet, this smells of a sage bundle I used to store with other resinous oils. It is quite camphorous with a musky background to it. Once it dries, though, it smells AMAZING! It's as if I am wandering through the most beautiful, green and dense forest (with just enough light coming in through the canopy to be able to see where to walk). It's a little sweet, a little musky and a little woody. I love musk and wood scents as they remind me of my home state, Wisconsin, and this one does NOT disappoint! Now that I think about it, it is apropos since in American Gods, Mr. Wednesday takes Shadow to Wisconsin to see the House On The Rock. Definitely recommend this one!

Starts out kind of sharp and unpleasant. After a couple minutes though Odin turns into a slightly herbal amber scent with a background of black musk. I love all of those elements and on me they come together beautifully. Another for the bottle list.

This was a frimp from the lab. I have to say that based on the description, it's nothing I ever would have tried on my own. How is it those lab folk are so talented for picking out things we'd like if we just gave them a chance? Amazing. Anyway...

In the imp I could smell the elm pretty sharply. I also got a cedar note and maybe even aspen? Am I nuts? Anyway, very woodsy, and very herbal. Kind of sharp and bitter. Lots of green. It scared me just a little bit, actually, because I had no idea what that would do on skin. I dabbed anyway, because I'm curious like that.

Wet it smelled even more like cedar with something dry and a little musty. I actually liked that a lot. It was very different and not nearly as masculine as I was expecting. Musk started coming up, and it's not the Egyptian or red musk that likes my body chemistry. No. It smelled like my nemesis, black musk.

Dry down. Is that you, black musk? Dammit, why must you always go baby powder on me? :ack: Baby powder. Nooooooooo. :( Odin does not smell like baby powder. I'm sure of it, but sadly, wearing this, I do.

In the vial, it's very herbal. Then again, there's supposed to be nine herbs in it! Color, yellow.

Wet on my skin, it's musky, herbal, and almost sweet. I don't know what those herbs are but omg, do they smell good.

10-15 minute drydown - *sigh*.... And Odin just turned to generic men's cologne on me.

In imp, and on, wet: I don't get any of the listed notes. On me, it's one-note almonds, and kind of yucky.

But, oh, that drydown - spicy, sweet, smoky - magnificent.

In bottle: Ashy and herbal, with a hint of herbal sharpness. Wet: more interesting on the skin. The ash softens, and the herbs pop and separate. It has a scooch of non-foody sweetness. It’s quite gentle and meditative. I like it, but not nearly enough to purchase. Dry: mostly soft and sweet herbals with a touch of something a little more edgy.

I thought this smelled like amber in the imp, but there's no amber in it, so that must have been the musk with the amaranth. On me, it was basically musk, musk, musk, with a little bit of herbalness that soon disappeared. It was certainly nice-smelling but it didn't thrill me.

I tested this frimp with a clean toothpick.

In the Imp: Smells like mens perfume, the classic type. Like my late grandfather's study. Old books, musk and a sweet and sour something about it.

Wet on the skin: Almost the same as in the imp, just more powdery. There is something stale about this smell... and herbally.

On the drydown: Virtually the same except there is a sharp bite to it now. It is rather unpleasant.

Dry: Ladies and gents, this one just doesn't morph much! As above.

Verdict: I'm unsure. The good grand daughter in me wants to keep it because it smells like my grandfather. So i think I will for now and decide later.

In the imp, it has some interesting aldehydes and sweet herbs and then... presto chango... on my skin and my husband's skin, it's just baby powder. Sigh.

In the imp: Gritty, woody, bitter, dark are all words that spring to mind. There's something a tiny bit sweet though, maybe the amaranth?

This smells better on my skin than in the imp. That sweet smell comes out a bit more, almost like almond. Odin is very manly, musky, with bitter and "dirty" smelling herbs, but a bit of a sweet edge. It's not really my type of scent, though... too dark and masculine.

Edit: Fully dry, this smells REALLY sweet on me. It doesn't smell very... Odin-like. :lol:

Edited by sunlitgarden

On my skin, this is a woodsy, dry, slightly dusty scent. There's some musk, but it is more background cushioning. As it dries, something sweet pops out - something powdery and light purple smelling. It combined nicely with the woods. Like walking in a forest and stumbling upon a berry bush with ripe fruits.

The powdery sweet purple grows as it dries, and it goes from a masculine wood scent to a unisex berry forest scent. I like it!

I got this as a free imp from a fellow board member. (Thank you) Wow...

In the imp: This scent is Strong. It smells very forest-y and musky. And maybe a little like old books.

On the Skin (Wet): Wow, this is a very powerful animalistic musk. Like ice-age giant elk musk. I can tell right away that this isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm enjoying it. Underneath the musk are firs and spruces and rich herbs - and underneath that is the golden seed-ness of the Amaranth.

Drying down: The musk mellows out on the dry-down but is still the main note. I can smell a lot of tree-bark now, very soft smelling. And also fir needles and a mix of herbs I can't identify.

This is a scent I enjoyed - but it definitely has it's own personality and is not one of those scents that would work on anybody. I wouldn't wear this everyday, but I'm glad I got it.

In the Imp (ITI): Interesting. Musk, both clean and a little animistic with a sweet green leafiness and just a touch of grapefruit.

Wet: I can smell both musks - one light and airy, the other seething and complex. The strawberry leaf actually smells like the leaf instead of fake berry, and the white grapefruit adds some tartness to the mix. What an agreeable scent.

Dry: It ends up being lightly musky with subtle, sweet fruit undertones. I'm impressed that anything is left given my 14 hour day.