Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Destroying Angel

One of the deadliest mushrooms to ever pop through Gaia’s soil. Papery white notes evoke the grace of this fungi, grounded by thin, crisp soil.

This is one of the few fragrances that I just don't like. It's too sharp and bitter and very "in your face white floral from a department store" for me. It smells like a potted lily--there is a slight dirt fragrance but it is totally overpowered by the white florals. It reminds me of grandma's guest room soap.

A bit of a letdown, but it was a frimp, so no great loss :)

Destroying Angel imp

Wet/Bottle - Earthy, dry soil followed by something quite musty. Oddly sweet, not what I was expecting from the notes listed.

Wet/Skin (5 minutes) - It's light, but the sharp sweetness is almost pungent. I was expecting a pungent smell, but expected it to be more earthy. This nolonger has any soil to it, it's almost soapy.

Dry/Skin (30 minutes) - It's all soap on me, now. I think this is the first blend with dirt that I haven't liked, which is too bad.

It's way too sharp and sweet for me, and turns to soap on my skin. I won't be keeping this imp.

Received this as a frimp

Wet: Earthy, with some green notes. Maybe even a hint of the Lab's dirt note, which I love, but hadn't expected to find in this. I really like this so far. I think I detect hints of the Lab's decay note, which is always a bit sweet to me, and which I also love. This smells a lot like The House on me, without the rose. Loving it! t's getting fainter and fainter though.

Dry: This has almost but not quite disappeared on me. What's left is quite pleasant, a little earthy, a little green. I will likely keep the imp(s) (I ended up with several of these somehow) and wear them to bed, as I find earthy scents really soothing at bedtime.

This scent goes to my mother who loves the flower scents that remind her of the South. I know that doesn’t match the description of this at all, but that is what it smells like to me. To me, it smells EXACTLY like the springtime, unripe honeysuckle, that you would eat and it would taste bitter because it wasn’t ready to be plucked yet.

In the vial: A little soapy, but a sharp, crisp honeysuckle type sweetness. Unripe fruit or flowers. Seeds. Dry clay. Hint of mildew.

On *my* skin: Same intensity.

Edited by TarynPage

I got two imps of this through various orders and although I tried it twice and really wanted to like it, hard pass. It has a thin, sharp smell like lily or jasmine on 11 that seems to pierce the core of my brain in a very unpleasant way. Sad, because I like the idea and want to like the "dirt" smells, but oh gosh no on this one.

Frimp from the Trading Post, thank you!

I love this! Was not expecting to enjoy it so much.

At first it is all destroying white flowers but then the mushroom-y loam notes come out. It is so interesting and botanical. I love how the floral aspect goes with the dirt notes and something slightly sweet as well. It smells like a perfume the fairies themselves would come up with.

It makes me feel close to the plant kingdom. It also makes me feel a sense of rising above mundane concerns. My mind feels sharper. This is not an easy-going snuggly scent.

I have two imps of this so not sure I need a bottle right away.

I got this imp from a forumite, so I'm not sure how old it is.

On initial application, it smells like a wetter version of Graveyard Dirt (which is TOTALLY okay with me, by the way). After it starts to dry down, the dirt smell retreats and blends with an almost spicy white floral. If this is a poisonous plant, it's the kind that is brightly colored and is oh so tempting to the eye, even though you know it's going to hurt if you eat it.

In the imp: soil

Wet: damp earth and... flowers? There's something almost fruity about the floral side, but it's very similar to Zombi.

Dry: Usually, I hate white florals, but this is really fresh and sweet with no powderiness or sickly and nausea inducing-ness. The dirt note is mostly gone, which is a shame, but I really love this!

I thought this was a sort of garden scent, not a fungi scent. There's the beautiful BPAL dirt note, but I find it surprisingly soft and floral - the papery white seems more delicate, white florals to me than paper persay. The thin, crisp soil part os very accurate because the dirt note isn't as intense and goes away after awhile. Usually, the BPAL dirt note reminds me of having just been playing in the garden, but this is more a whiff. I can see this working well for people who may be hesitant to try the dirt note.

Got this from a sale on the forum :D This is very sweet right out of the vial. I smell mostly dirt, pretty strongly, but *sweet* dirt. It's pretty strong. In a couple minutes I start getting the papery white notes, they're crisp and clean for being a dirt-based perfume. I really like this one, I think. An hour or so in, I start getting an acidic note that gives it a perfumey tinge and the sweetness cuts a bit. I was a little intimidated at first because of the strong dirt smell right on application (I've never tried one in this scent family) but it's actually very wearable when it's on. Throw is still pretty good at this point. Eventually it dries down to a sweet, slightly powdery scent. I really like this one, it had good throw on me and lasted quite a while before it lost its sillage. I kept catching a bit of the scent moving around at work. That phase lasted probably about 4-5 hours. Color vibe is deep brown and grayish white.

Edited by Mermaid-on-Land

I was really expecting this to be more dry. It's surprisingly lush based on the description. It smells to me like a white floral in a potted planter. I mostly get lily, but my nose has been known to be wrong before. I do get some earth, which is why it kind of reminds me of a potted lily. The earth in houseplants always feels more noticeable. When it dries, it is a bit more papery and subtle. It is pleasant if you like soft, dry scents, but I think it's a little too subtle for me.

Destroying Angel is quite nice on me. It does smell like houseplant dirt, the kind with the little green globules of fertilizer in it. But a potted plant in a library. There's the quiet paper note, and then something subtly floral as well. This is a calming, grounding scent which is understated enough to be worn in any social situation. I can see professional instances where it might be nice to be wearing some Destroying Angel which does not present as perfume at all...

In the imp: I do get the papery white notes (I smell something floral -- maybe narcissus?) and spice-tinged dirt.

Wet: Yes, I am pretty sure that the white floral note is narcissus (which makes sense, since papery white notes are listed, and one variety of narcissus is referred to as Paperwhites). It’s sweet and heady and stronger than the soil note. As it begins to dry, the dirt becomes more prominent, but it hasn’t overtaken the narcissus just yet.

Dry: The dirt is stronger now, but it hasn’t managed to overtake the narcissus. That said, the narcissus does become softer over time.

Verdict: This is too floral to remind me of mushrooms at all, but I’m glad I got to try this one, because DIRT! I doubt I’d reach for it, though, as there are other dirt scents that I prefer over this one.

This is a musky earthy scent with a citrus touch, bergamot i presume.

It's quite fresh and airy. This one's a nice smelling mushroom. 

This perfume is quite interesting (and, being a weirdo who likes reading about poisonous mushrooms, I love the theme). I don't like the way it smells at first, kind of like sweet decay, but once on the skin, it changes to an earthy-yet-poisonous smell that's oddly pleasant. At this point, I don't think I'll wear it much, but it might be nice for days when I'm feeling especially prickly.