Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Destroying Angel

One of the deadliest mushrooms to ever pop through Gaia’s soil. Papery white notes evoke the grace of this fungi, grounded by thin, crisp soil.

Wet: An amazingly accurate rendition of wet soil. It smells like I’ve been gardening. With a gentle floral. Not too sweet or feminine.

Dry: Dies down to a gentle floral very quickly on my wrists. On my collarbone, it still has the soil scent with only a tiny bit of floral. Odd.

Wear Time: 6+ hours

Fits Description?: Yes. Wow.

Overall: I’m amazed by this scent. It really does make me feel like I should have been rooting around to plant some bulbs or find earthworms. Damp, fresh, recently turned soil. On the other hand, I can’t decide how I feel about it as a perfume. Do I want to smell like earth? Haven’t decided yet. But it is very intriguing. Something to ponder. Kudos BPAL.

I'm surprised by how Chanel-esque this scent is.

It's added this surprise scent of dirt but beyond it is a powdery scent that's somewhere in the family of Chanel no. 5.

It's really mature and classic, I can totally imagine wearing this to a VERY elegant, formal evening. Surprisingly good! I don't know how often I'll wear this, but it's a keeper.

1246851968_nr574-Ti.jpg

Upon first application, I wasn't sure I could keep wearing this blend; I am normally a total fan of the Lab's dirt notes, but this one had a sour smell to it which made me a bit queasy. However, I persevered and the drydown was much more pleasant: still a dirt note, but the sourness had blossomed (heh!) into a garden freshly turned, with a few blooming spring blossoms lending a bit of sweetness to the soil scent.

I wasn't quite brave enough to try it in my scent locket, as I believe it was my own skin chemistry which changed the initial sourness to sweet, but it did well enough just on my skin. I think the imp is going to be enough of this blend for me, though.

Edited by stellans

mmm....this isn't nearly as "dirty" as I expected. It's not so much fresh turned, digging in soil as it is walking past a garden where the soil, flowers, and greenery all blend together. It's very pretty and a great spring scent, it just fades very quickly (which is fine for me today since I seem to have perfume ADD), but luckily doesn't go soapy like almost all white floral blends.

Moldy watercress and old lady perfume.

Me and mushrooms? We have never gotten along ;) this just proves it! :lol:

I love the labs dirt scents, but theres no dirt to be found in this one on me.

Initially its sharp and tangy, like a freshly broken piece of greenery...

Then it turns into my grandfathers cologne.

Which isnt unpleasant, but not what I want to smell like.

At first its a strong old lady perfume, though not a bad one. Soon after I think I get a bit of a clean/wet dirt smell from it.

Later it becomes a lot softer and not quite so astringent, but its too mild by then.

Alright so, this is definitely a mushroom, in dirt. I was amazed how accurate it was.

But wearing it, I'd get wafts from it and just cringe. I mean, you shouldn't smell like mushrooms and my natural reaction is "oh god, what's growing on me?!" Which, you know, sort of makes it strange to wear. It lived up to it's name, certainly. I'd say this is worth getting a sniff of just to be, once again, amused by how accurate Beth is with her scents. lol

It had lots of throw, and stayed a long time, much to my displeasure. lol.

In the imp, this was damp earth, wet potting soil, and a wooden carton of white mushrooms. Eerily accurate damp soil & mushrooms. I can't say its changed on me yet- although its only been about 45 minutes. No flowers, though. Just loamy, damp earth & mushrooms. It isn't unpleasant, in fact it is nice, and definitely interesting but I'm a little glad there isn't much throw, because this might be a bit...out there for work LOL. Oh well, no one is going to sick their nose on my arm & sniff. :)

Edit: 4.5 hours after I put this on, its a light, white floral. I have no idea when it changed, I just thought to sniff my wrist. That is STRANGE. Wacky & interesting, and both smells are good, but I've never even IMAGINED a morph like that LOL.

Edited by biocarolyn

I am not digging this at all.

The dirt notes in this are very very very strong and I'm not enjoying it. It also has a certain sour/bitterness that is off-putting and gives me a headache.

Not for me!

Aaaack, this one is just not me. It's my two least favorite types of notes combined into one: dirt and green. Very, very much like moist earth and rotting plants. :eek: I know some people like that stuff but I'm on the other end of the spectrum.

Edited by Invidiana

Maybe the labbie picked this as a frimp because of my Ether/Fae/Obatala picks? Not sure.. but great choice!

Airy, light, crisp, translucent dirt. This is a "summer dirt" scent if I've ever smelled one! Awesome!

OK, editing to add that the previous poster had the same experience as me! It smells like a white floral now mixed with cream and loam!

Edited by SophieCedar

Dirt and mushrooms. It smells better in the vial than on my skin. Strangely enough, I love dirt scents and couldn't resist the urge so slather this on my forearm to test. The "papery white" notes are making this too perfumey. I'll stick to my sweet Graveyard Dirt when I need my dirt fix.

Edited by Shollin

In the IMP it is very sharp and clean. Smells like fresh wet soil and lemon.

On me it is very dirty ;) it’s actually a very pleasant smell that reminds me of my mom working in the garden. A nice memory but not something I want to smell like because it mostly dirt and soil. However it does has very sweet hints trying to push through the soil smell that makes it quite pretty.

This is an unusual and very pretty scent despite all the dirt!

Dirt at first, but an acrid soil that I just wasn't grooving on. I stayed with it, despite how much I wanted to wash it off after a few minutes, and was rewarded with a flower garden. Lots of beautiful florals with just a slight undertone of garden soil. It's a little strong at the moment, but I'm hoping it will soften a bit -- sometime soon?

In the vial: Huh. A mushroom in a vial. Slightly sour, but DEFINITELY a mushroom.

On: Sour mushroom. Smells a bit like rolling around in the woods. It's definitely true to concept, but I'm not sure I approve of smelling like this.

Later: Mushroom mushroom... Again, this is fascinating, but not particularly appealing as a scent. I'm glad I got to try it, but I doubt I'm going to keep it.

You know, it's funny how you sometimes check out a frimp, then put it into a save place - only to get back to it some day, realize you really dig the scent, wear it all the time.. and then wonder if it's really something you wanted. I don't know.. does anyone else have these silly frimp love affairs? icon_redface.gif

Destroying Angel is a lady of that sort.. appealing in a way, but I am not sure what draws me to her.

Imp: Clean, yellowish green, light, a slight bit tart and sour.. as if you're walking into a flower shop.. just minus the flowers. icon_neutral.gif Smells like the inside of a chapel when there's a casket inside that's decorated with unsweet flowers (like calla lily). And then you walk to the grave, and there is fresh soil. The scent somehow sums this up for me. Hmm, but there is also a layer of man's after shave / cologne. That's why I also get some aquatic notes.

Wet: Funeral flowers with patchouli. I am sure calla lily is in there somewhere.

Dry: Finally, a sweetness comes through. A light floral scent that is dominated by something heavier.. is it only patchouli? Is there something citrus-y in there? Something tart like bergamot? I bet there is another "greenish white" flower like cala lilly in there. To me, literally a grave scent. It's alluring and light but also sinister and twisted. It scares me a little but I like it therefore. I cannot detect any mushroom scent.. but it's a bit musty, so maybe that's how the destroying angel deserves its name after all?

Has a spring appeal to me.. spring or fall, when there is white buds on bare trees or utter decay.

Edited by Honey

Imp: dirt, and something very clean.

On: dirt covered mushrooms, floral, but i'm not sure what kind.maybe lily though. There is a tangy smell that's kind of citrus, but it faint. It smells very clean too.

Overall: this didn't morph any, kept the same smell the whole time. I like it.

In the Imp (ITI): Papery, astringent, and a little disconcerting.

Wet: It’s oddly perfumey, but it a green way. It reminds me of Baby Soft for some reason.

Dry: It still smells like Baby Soft, but less so. There isn’t much of a scent shift here.

Imp: Dirt. Dirt and wet leaves. Maybe a faint white floral.

Wet: The BPAL dirt note always smells dry and dusty on me rather than deep and rich. So, yeah, powdery dirt, like the garden after a drought.

Dry: Spicy dirt. If you're a dirt-lover, this is definitely a must-try!

This was lot sweeter on my skin than in the imp. This note seems like strong violet or maybe lilac, and I think I over-applied just a little, because it did go to my head, especially when I take a big whiff, but it in light doses I could see myself enjoying this.

One of the deadliest mushrooms to ever pop through Gaia’s soil. Papery white notes evoke the grace of this fungi, grounded by thin, crisp soil.

In the imp: At first, I get the impression of an old time perfume, very "old lady-ish" musty. Then I look at the description and I find myself thinking of soil and gardens now. Power of suggestion? Maybe.

Wet: The musty perfume stays for a few minutes before calming down to a deep, sweet floral. This floral reminds me of a gardenia or magnolia - though it isn't. It's just that the scent is sweet, heavy and full bodied, much like those southern blooms. I'm also getting a touch of greenery - like a living flower would smell, a little green and woody.

Dry: The sweet floral lasts a long while (couple of hours) before fading to a whisper light floral, which is less sweet and more grounded, like the earthy garden it came from.

In the vial: AHHH PAPER WHITES. NO!

I didn't even try to put this on. Paper whites are a no-go with my sinuses, so I'm not even going to torture myself. Immediately tossed this in the swap pile.

starts off as some department store perfume...I really don't like it, but then it mellows to where you can smell some fungus and a bit of dirt. It's bearable at this stage, but I'm not crazy about it.

First of all, what an awesome name! This is a frimp from the Lab.

In the vial: very pale yellow color, smells of...huh. Someone upthread said Chanel, and that's exactly it! It smells like a high-end women's cologne with aldehyde notes.

Wet on my skin: like Chanel Cristalle. White/green floral notes. No dirt. No 'shrooms.

Drydown: I never did get any dirt; my skin ate the clean "green" topnotes and it settled into a warmer white floral. Really pretty, and not what I expected at all!