Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Frumious Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch musk, redolent of spicy carnations, wild plums and chrysanthemum.

In the imp: Spicy! I'm getting a lot of carnation and hints of the other notes, this is primarily a spicy scent to me, but there is something light and sweet (plums?) lurking in the background. It vaguely reminds me of an autumn leaves candle I used to have...

On the wrist, wet: Much like the in imp scent, but the plum is much more pronounced now, blending perfectly with the spicy scent of carnation. This is wonderfully blended (as are all the lab oils I have tried :P). This is an appetizing and visceral scent.

On the wrist, dry: Lovely blend of spicy and sweet. Not too much of either. A deep and rich scent, there is nothing childlike about this.

Final Analysis: They say that scent is the closest linked sense to memory and this definitely argues in favor of that statement. I'm not sure what the memory is, but there is a memory associated with a scent very much like this. I will be keeping the imp, and possibly purchasing a bottle in the future. A lovely scent for all plum lovers and carnation lovers! I think this will be a wonderful cool/cold weather scent.

ETA: Lab description.

Edited by Miseraya

Wet this is crisp apple and something sharp and sweet, almost like cider. When first on this is sweet and spicy- maybe cassia. It reminds me of Red Phoenix and has a creamy undertone. This one ends up being too sweet on me and smells like Yankee candle potpourri- just like Red Phoenix did. It does mellow after a couple of hours but it's not really my type of scent.

Frumious Bandersnatch-

In Bottle: A sweet fruit smell. Grape bubblegum?

Wet: Ooh, yum, grape-plum-cinnamon. Fruity and delicious!

Dry: Oh, what a pity, it fades so quickly. Well, I like it--I'll try it in larger quantity and see.

Overall: I like a lot but it fades quickly.

Frumious Bandersnatch

This was a frimp from the lab and I'm so happy I have it my hands! In the imp it smells a bit spicy, musky, and fruity. On me, wow, bold plum! This one was a total surprise, I never would have picked it out for myself but I have to say that this goes really well with my skin chem. It's mildly floral, fruity, spicy, and musky! Everything I like in one blend!

I might want a big bottle when the imp is finished. :P

First sniff: Can you make apple cider with plums? ‘Cause that’s what this smells like. Mulled plum cider.

Wearing: Spicyfruity and oh so good.

Very sweet and plummy + floral bouquet (i'm not catching the apple)

This is another one that doesn't change much over time. It stayed more or less on me over 7 hours as it smelled in the bottle. I like that and its so rare to have a what-you-see-is-what-you-get with bottled fragrance.

I would buy more!

Frumious Bandersnatch is Carnal's older sister... sweet and silly in the bottle and spicy mulled fruit on my skin.

In the bottle I don't smell the plum as much as I do when on. Like Montresor, the fruit is winey and dignified. I can't wait to layer this with Potion!

This will be the PERFECT holiday scent, and I'll use it as a room scent all winter, too. I'm really glad I have it!

Juicy spiced plum! Very sweet and fruity. Dries to a sweet spicy cinnamon-like carnation. The cinnamon reminds me of red hots candies. Definitely a keeper!

Who knew something so sinister could smell so yummy!

4/5

Edited by ancilla

In the bottle: Holy spicy plum!

Wet on skin: This is a wonderfully spicy plum, sort of like plum cobbler with cinnamon sprinkled on it. I would venture to compare it with spicy apple cider, but this doesn't smell like apples at all. Spicy plum cider maybe.

Dry on skin: Still quite strong. The carnation is a bit more prominent now, so it's more like spicy plum cider with a carnation bouquet.

Verdict: Oh I am so glad I have a bottle of this. I think this would work better in colder, darker weather, but I'd wear it no matter what.

:P

this sounded like the most perfect, wonderful scent... I love carnations and plums, and chrysanthemum moon was lovely too, so I was thrilled to try it.

there's an undertone of something plastic when I wear it, marring the rest of the spicy scent.

I'm going to try it again in a week and see what happens. if it still smells plastic on me, I'm going to be heartbroken.

[edit: 10/15/06] well, this isn't plastic on me anymore, but it does smell waxy... like a nice scented candle, as other people have said. I'm very sad, but that's the way things go sometimes!

Edited by Nightbird

This smells like spicy, plummy apple cider! :D It immediately brings the holiday season to mind, and it would be perfect to wear in cold weather, as it just smells so warm and delicious! Plus I love the name...so this is going on the big bottle list for sure!

:P

Wet, this is bouncy fruity spiced carnation. Dry, however, the cinnamon (or something cinnamon-like anyway) takes over and that's all I can smell. Sigh. Such a wonderfully nonsense-critter smell dry. I tried this through the GC Circle Swap, and if I ever end up with an imp of it, I'll send it to a friend of mine who adores and can wear cinnamon scents.

On me, it's wine, plum and candy. Hmmmn, plum wine then? The sweetness is about the same. Interesting, but as I start my explorations of BPAL, I don't think it's something I would want to wear.

Spicy plum candle, hot mulling cider, and mums. Not as musky as I hoped. Quite fruity but definitely dark. Smells just like holiday time. Usually anything that is "craft store" or "candle" on me is a no-no, but this is really beautiful. My favorite mum scent yet, I think...as of this moment! :P

Edited by lookingglass

In the imp, delicious spiced plums. On me, it develops the slightly waxy candle note I've seen in other reviews...but it's a damn good candle. Spunky, spicy, rich and slightly wild. I'm keeping this imp. :P

A gift from my dear switch witch, I've been pining for this since it was released. It's not quite what I expected, but absolutely blows past that!

Spicy, sweet, and fruity, at first this reminds me of the "juicy baking scent" of Blockbuster. The mums and carnations deepen it, though, and the plum blossom is just delicious. It also reminds me a wee bit of Midwinter's Night, although more potpourri/candlelike than the punch-type scent of MN.

I think I really need a bottle of this to last me through the winter months. It's also go fantastic throw. *inhales*

One of the freebies I got with my latest order, Bandarsnatch has that sweet, slightly juvenile quality I've noticed in the Carroll-based scents, but with a spicy kick.

Others have picked out fruity, flowery notes, but to me (and on me) it smells like spearmint and cinnamon having sex.

The gals at the library really liked this one. It goes on the "definite maybe" list for a 5 ml.

Ok, this sounds strange, but it is absolutely delicious :P

cloverplumcinnamon? Not sure how else to describe it, but I love it.

The only problem is there isn't much throw once it was on my skin and it only lasted a couple hours :D

Plum, sweet apples and musk. It's wonderfully spiced, a touch floral, and totally, totally worthy of a 5ml.

In the bottle: A lot of plum and some spice.

Wet: A very fresh, green plum and chrysanthemum scent, with a slightly sickly "cherry" scent.

Drydown: There's a sort of spicy cherry scent in here, along with the background of plum. It's quite an invasive smell, too. I get the chrysanthemum afterwards, and that's a really lovely scent that wafts above the plum and spice base. There's this slightly plasticky feel from the carnation, too. It's very cinnamon on me, a bit like a muted red hots chewing gum.

Overall: Well, it's a very spicy plum with some rather green florals from chrysanthemum. It's not particularly evocative of anything to me, and there's something off about it in all stages, particularly with the spice that's nearly at red hots level. Not something I'd particularly want to wear, though it's quite pleasant.

I can definitely pick out the carnations, which isn't the best thing in the world since I dislike carnations most heartily. The wild plum scent is very heady and rich but on me is a somewhat sour note.

This is gorgeous! Though it almost makes me think of cherry, rather than plum. It's almost too pretty for its name, but when wet it has an intense spicy heat to it.

I asked my friend what it smelled like (to see if he would say plum or cherry) and he said it smells like amyl nitrate.. hmm.. I wouldn't know about that! As it dries down the plum remains most prominent and it becomes sweeter and less spicy. Unfortunately on my skin it becomes unrecognisable fairly quickly, leaving just a vague sweetness. Still, I'm seriously considering a 5ml of this.

Like many of the other reviewers, I love it when people ask me what scent I'm wearing, and I can respond "Frumious Bandersnatch"!!

In the bottle, this was all plums and cinnamon, wet and fruity. But there's a little musty/sharp something else going on.....maybe the chrysanthemum?

Wet, on me, this gives me more of an incense-y cinnamon-y smell.....I totally get what other reviewers have said about "that craft shop" smell, but it's not artificial or off-putting to me. There's a spicey edge to the cinnamon that may be the chrysanthemum and carnation peeking out. No musky stuff going on for me.

Dry, this stayed very true. Not much morphing, just some mellowing. It's a nice, full, wellrounded scent on me. Of course, I love cinnamon, and that IS the main thing I'm getting with FB. It has an average throw on me, and a little longer than average lasting-power.

I have mixed this with unscented lotion, it makes a very nice skin-scent....I have a feeling I'll be wearing it a bit more often now that it's fall, and I think I'll also try it out in my oil burner around the holidays for a room scent.

One of the other forumites mentioned the possibility of layering with LUSH Potion, which I love, and still have some of......that may bring the carnation out to play a bit more....hope so, it's a nice note.

All in all....glad I have a bottle of this......