Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

Frumious Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch musk, redolent of spicy carnations, wild plums and chrysanthemum.

From imp. Wet, this is a very sweet scent. Dries down to mainly musk and carnations. Not getting much of wild plums or chrysanthemum. While I like carnation as a flower, on my skin it amps and almost gives me a headache. Not for me.

I have a plum tree. Every year I cook pounds of plums with cinnamon and spice. This smells just like stewed plums, with an extra dollop of spice. There is something in this oil that reminds me of a scented candle. I love it, but I'm not too sure I want to smell like candle. It would make a great room scent.

In the vial: heavy plum and a hint of musk.

Wet: Deep plum, carnation? and and a hint of musk.

Dry: PLUM, Plum, plum

An hour later: plum and nothing else.

Overall: The plum is pretty but I'm not so fond of the way the plum overshadows all the other notes.

Cinnamon. Cinnamon. Cinnamon.

That was all I could smell, and I was worried my nose was defective until I searched this topic. Phew. It's not a bad thing, but it's pretty overwhelming in the vial and wet. It settles down once dry and lasts a few hours. I felt like I had to reapply 1-2 times today to get it to last all day.

I would also agree with the incense comment.

I cannot believe I haven't reviewed this yet.

On me it smells like spicy fruit. I have yet to find the chrysanthemum because the carnation has taken over, but the plum peeks its head through now and again.

Sexyspicyplum=Amazing!

First Sniff: Some type of berry; I’m thinking blackberry or maybe light raspberry.

Wet: I think I can smell a hint of cinnamon now.

Dry: As it dried, the cinnamon became softer and the berry stuck around and developed into a deep fruity smell which was nice. The cinnamon seems to alternate between being too spicy and just right though.

My Reaction: If this were a color, it would be a deep purple. There’s enough flower smell in this to remind me of a small flower garden, but it’s not overpowering, it sort of hangs in the background. I also really enjoyed the fruity note. If this is what bandersnatchs really smell like they’d be very nice to cuddle with, frumious or not!

Rating 1-5: 3

In the Imp: Very rich, dark, nice, realistic plum. Think I used enough adjectives there? :lol:

Wet: Mm, sweet plum but not sickly or cloying. Just a real, ripe plum. That's what I'm talking about! I had no idea carnations could be considered "spicy", but yeah, they're there. They sort of remind of cinnamon, actually.

Dry: The plum and carnation mix well and give a feeling that makes me think of plum pie. Sort of candle shop too. It's certainly not bad, but I liked it more when wet.

Overall: All I can say is that I adored that initial, true plum note. If it was just that I would've bought a bottle of this. Unfortunately, I'm not big on spices (er, I guess in this case flowers) that end up making things smell like a candle.

All spicy-ness, no depth. I'm really sad I don't get anything else from it. I'm going to let it age and try again in 6 months time or so. I like all the notes separately (except chrysanthemums because I have no idea what they smell like) so should love this scent. Let's hope time works for me.

I'm definitely seeing where the spice craft store candle comparison is coming in, but as other said, it's a nice candle. Mostly spice on me with maybe a hint of plum. It's staying pretty reasonable on me so I'll probably bring this one out in the fall. Probably not a bottle, but I'll be holding on to they imp to see how it ages as well.

In the bottle: Musk, carnations and chrysanthemum, no hint of plum.

On me: Ah, there’s the plum, beating back the flowers, picking up spice and backing up the musk. Not too bad, but it’s a little powdery sweet.

Later: now I smell like a fruity candle. Slight hint of spice with the candied plum.

Much later: Now I smell like the whole candle shop. It’s a bit nauseating. Although it does make me think of a nice, dark purple candle. But not with this scent. It’s too syrupy sweet for me. Almost headache-y sweet.

Imp goes to trade pile.

Imp: Cherry, chrysanthemum, plum

Wet on skin: chrysanthemum, plum, sharp and sweet

Dry down: chrysanthemum, candied plum

Dry: syrupy sweet plums with flroal background

Verdict: Mmm. I just don't know. There aren't enough florals to ground the plums and it's given me a slight headache. I may hold on to this regardless, try it in a few months.

This is a review of an aged bottle.

In the bottle: Spicy carnations. No plum, and while I don't actually know what chrysanthemums smell like, I don't really detect anything other than the carnation.

On skin, wet: Still just about a carnation single note. A touch of musk.

On skin, dry: A little hint of plum comes out, but only a hint. This is still pretty powerfully carnations to my nose, with a background of musk.

After an hour: The carnation stays very much dominant, but the hints of plum do get stronger and balance out the musk some. It's a very strong scent.

Pure craft store candle, through and through. Pleasant, but not something I'd wear often as a perfume. Sad, really - I'm on a carnation kick and loved the idea of being able to tell people the name of this oil and watch the looks on their faces.

Fortunately I don't get the craft store candle smell until after about 5 hours. My skin likes to eat a lot of scents so for me that's a really good thing. On me this is all juicy juicy florals, it's wonderful. It reminds of Blood Countess, but cheerful instead of diabolical. Definitely a keeper!

Plum is usually kind of iffy on me, but in the vial, it seems to work here. The carnations add a bit of spiciness to them too. The longer this sits on me, the more the spiciness turns into a cinnamon rather than carnation. The combination of the spice and plums at this stage reminds me of a holiday candle. There are unfortunately no mums which would have added another dimension to this. It's alright but I would never actually buy this.

Got this from the Lab as a frimp and boy am I stoked. This is amazing on my boys (ages 8 and 6). It's a very silly, fun-loving scent that is just all sweet, spicy and adorable on them. I adore the entire collection as it's just genius. This will be a 5 ml for the boys to share. They love it and the name cracks them up every time.

I loved this at first sniff: definitely plum, and spicy flowers, with a little musk rounding it out. After about ten seconds, it went straight to full cassia/cinnamon, nothing else. Boo. :(

Whoa, syrupy sweet in the vial! I'm not much for fruit scents, and PLUM!!!! is definitely jumping out at me before I even put it on. It smells a little like fake fruit cough syrup once I do put it on - this is not my thing, for sure.

If you were worried that this might be too frumious for you, don't fret. Any frumiousness in this blend is completely hidden behind the intense fruitiness that greets you when you open the imp ;)

It's more berries than plum to my nose while wet, with a good helping of spice that I would have sworn was cinnamon had I not read the notes. After a while, the spiciness dies down and the plum does come to the forefront, with a hint of something floral in the background. I'm pleased to report that the carnation, usually one of my nemeses, is behaving itself. Hurrah!

Frumious Bandersnatch is a surprisingly playful, outgoing - not to say goofy - scent. It may be a bit much for everyday wear, but I have a feeling it would be perfect as a room scent. Oil burner, here I come!

I ordered a ton of imps recently and this was one of them and omg I'm glad it was. I would never have picked this out on my own - plum? ehhhhhh...

BUT!

on me? I would never have guessed it has plum in it. I literally cannot smell it at all.

It doesn't have much throw on me, but my skin smells like Sunday morning sleepy snuggles. The carnations are definitely the stars of this for me - weirdly, I get a hint of candle once it dries down but not craft store candle, but the wax smell from unscented votives? This smells like a very soft, lightly spiced floral on me, but VERY soft - almost as if you used a carnation soap and this was what was left. I wish it lasted longer on me!

ITI: It is spicy and musky, but certainly floral from the chrysanthemum and poppy. I remember sniffing this when I first got it and not liking it as much. It appears that this one ages well.

Wet: Very spicy poppy, succulent wild plum, musk, and chrysanthemum. It makes my mouth water.

Dry: It doesn't last too long, but I still get something that is a sweet poppy and musk mix.

I thought I would like this one in the imp. I mainly get the plum and carnation.

Wet: It's still spicy plum, and I like it.

Dry: As time goes by, the musk becomes a lot more prominent. It becomes the dominant note of this scent on me. While I like the scent itself, I do not like it on me. It's too masculine for me, but I'm sure I would enjoy smelling this on someone else. It's just not for me.

Wet, I totally understand the reviewers who thought of a mulled-fruit type of candle. It's a very Christmassy smell to me, rich red-purple and spicy.

Dry, it becomes a more dusty spice- I can see where some people would think potpourri, but on me it behaves and just softens the scent.

I'm definitely keeping the imp. I can see this being a fantastic room scent, especially in winter.