Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Bellatrix

Peony Moon

Peony, plum blossom, water reeds and soft Asian woods.

Sniffed: A watery, light, slightly sugar-sweet floral. Peony and plum blossom?

On skin: This Moon begins as a watery, pale, sweet floral. The floral notes are quite distinctive but I don't recognize them (not that I'm good at identifying notes), so it must be gentle peony, mixed with a bit of plummy verve. The water recedes after drydown to be replaced by the water reeds and the gentlest of light woods. Now the scent is a mix of pale, sweet floral and light green-woody. It has the same woody-reedy quality as Holiday Moon, so they may have notes in common. Peony Moon is a simple blend, and remains much the same over time. A pretty, delicate, airy feminine scent. Colour impression is pale pink-white upon a backdrop of woody brown -- just like the flowers.

Verdict: Pure watery florals are pretty but mostly boring. Peony Moon is in the same family, but the combination of plum blossom, peony, reeds and woods place it one notch above the other florals in interest and distinctiveness. I really like it, but am torn because it's quite a light blend; given my oil-drinking skin chemistry, I doubt I'll wear it much!

Purchased directly from lab in '06 and tested recently due to icky drearies as well as considering of current peony offerings...

I love peonies. I love their pale pink, their huge overblown frilliness, and most of all their heady scent. Whenever I am down I open up this bottle and huff the glory of peony. Unfortunately wearing it is a different matter.

Wet it is as in the bottle~ glorious, glorious heady peony but upon drying, almost immediately the reeds throw in a green aquatic which, tho not unpleasant, is not what I am seeking when I think of peony. I am not entirely sure what 'asian woods' means but with a good dry down, a half hour or so, I start to smell rattan or slightly musty baskets. On my wrists, both of them, this is the prevalent note and brought to mind the earthiness of mushrooms or the taste of water chestnuts strait out of a a can. However this is very faint and has little throw. It requires bringing my wrists to my nose to get that funky note. The peony, faint and wistful, fades but surprises me with her lingering scent whenever I turned my head. The cleavage drop lasted, fairly true to bottle, for well over 12 hours.

Overall a 2/5 because of the lasting power, and lingering loveliness. Points taken off because I don't like shoving my head down my shirt, or giving myself whip lash, to smell peonies. I am so spoiled and used to just bringing my wrists up to nose for a quick shot of pretty when wearing my BPAL

Editing to add: This perfume has always personified spring to me and it still does. Even tho I was unhappy with the green that peeked through at the 15 minute mark I did think how springlike.

Edited by elka

It's really sweet on me. Like fruit sweet. A cherry plum type note pushing out the already heavy peony note. It reminds me of a typical spring like Asian inspired perfume, not too fancy about it. I am waiting for the musky note others have talked about to come, maybe it will change my mind. It is a bit too sweet for me.

Peony, plum blossom, water reeds and soft Asian woods.

In the bottle a gentle weave of soft freshwater aquatic notes and mild floral sweetness.

Wet on skin: hello there peony! My mother grew a line of peonies along a fence that was a good 4 feet long as I was growing up. I remember stepping out of the back door and being swamped by the sweet spicy scent. These peonies this perfume do not quite have the spicy bite a I'd remember from childhood but that sweet floral is very much present mellowed a lovely way by the plum blossom. I assume it is the water reads that are adding the soft aquatic note which is also helping to balance the peony. I have not particularly notice the wood fragrance nor am I noticing the green note that usually accompanies peony although you may only get that when you cut the flowers for a bouquet for the kitchen table.

This scent remains very stable, but like most fragrances with aquatic notes is a very mild throw on me. I also had to apply rather generously. Regardless, I really like this scent and am glad I picked up a bottle from a forum member. I am hoping that I will see one up again in the future I like this well enough that I would like to get in other bottle. I am trying to branch out a way from my standard incense, musk, and spice type perfumes. I have always shied away from florals because I'd tend to amp them to nauseating levels, but I am learning that Beth and company somehow have the magic touch and can produce florals that I can wear.