Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alice Aforethought

Sleepytime BPAL

Just purchased imps of Lola Lee Loo, Paladin, Halfling , Morrocco, and Velvet for sleepytime vibes! 💫 💨
I imagine I'll probably use sleep oils more than sessy wearables, since I'm not going anywhere these days 🙄

On 9/11/2020 at 7:42 PM, biggnerd said:

I think Halfling, Dana O' Shee, and Castitas are in the same vein. 

Since I've secured Halfling, would Dana O' Shee be redundant? 
Generally speaking, how differentiated are BPAL scents if their notes are similar? Have you encountered repeats under different names? 

7 hours ago, murqmaid said:

JSince I've secured Halfling, would Dana O' Shee be redundant? 

Generally speaking, how differentiated are BPAL scents if their notes are similar? Have you encountered repeats under different names? 

It's been awhile since I tried either one.  They're the same in that they're a sweet, milky smell, but different in that Dana O'Shee is a little sweeter and Halfling is a little nuttier.  Halfling smelled like a bowl of oatmeal to me, while Dana O'Shee was more honeyed milk. Castitas is a creamy rice scent to me.  

@feyofthefellwood could probably talk about the difference between the two better.

I haven't found repeats, but there are some scents that will smell similar - sometimes they'll have different notes but the same smell.  Different skin chemistry amps different things so people might find that any scent with x note will always mainly smell like that note.  

Edited by biggnerd
Sweat needed to be sweet. Sweat milky smell sounds terrible.

Thanks for the tag, @biggnerd! Yeah, I'd say that skin chemistry is definitely a factor. To me, Halfling is nuttier, milkier, and sweeter. It has more presence on my skin. I find Dana O'Shee lighter, and it definitely has almond, which Halfling does not (to my nose, anyway). The almond seems like a top note in Dana, because it kind of burns off. The scent dries down to this sort of pearly, glowing skin scent (if you've tried Snow White, it has a similar quality, but Dana isn't floral or cold like Snow White is). I find Dana O'Shee to be really subtle and not as foody as Halfling once the almond calms down. Biggnerd's oatmeal vs. honeyed milk comparison is one I'd echo.

Edit: also, I'm obviously influenced by the concepts of each scent somewhat, but Dana O'Shee is more delicate/ethereal to me (totally faery food) whereas Halfling is hearty and cozy, like something a Halfling might cook up for breakfast at an inn. ☺️

Edited by feyofthefellwood

2 hours ago, feyofthefellwood said:

Thanks for the tag, @biggnerd! Yeah, I'd say that skin chemistry is definitely a factor. To me, Halfling is nuttier, milkier, and sweeter. It has more presence on my skin. I find Dana O'Shee lighter, and it definitely has almond, which Halfling does not (to my nose, anyway). The almond seems like a top note in Dana, because it kind of burns off. The scent dries down to this sort of pearly, glowing skin scent (if you've tried Snow White, it has a similar quality, but Dana isn't floral or cold like Snow White is). I find Dana O'Shee to be really subtle and not as foody as Halfling once the almond calms down. Biggnerd's oatmeal vs. honeyed milk comparison is one I'd echo.

Edit: also, I'm obviously influenced by the concepts of each scent somewhat, but Dana O'Shee is more delicate/ethereal to me (totally faery food) whereas Halfling is hearty and cozy, like something a Halfling might cook up for breakfast at an inn. ☺️

I love reading these type of descriptions you guys!!!! :whisper:  :bunnyluv:   @feyofthefellwood     
Dana is definitely a priority on my wishlist.... I'm trying to be patient with putting an order in, but how long can I wait??? :lol: 

This is definitely turning into a a semi-micro-obsession..... and I'm am enjoying the distraction :cheers:

This thread has been so interesting to read, my bedtime favorites are both LE so eventually i'm going to run into a problem. My combo is Sweet Sleep hair gloss and Incolumitas perfume, I really need to explore some GC offerings. I also need to do some testing on oils that can help with nightmares, I've had them since I was a kid. Little me was so disappointed to find out there is no such thing as nightmare away medicine. :(

update:

from the suggested, so far i've tried: Morocco, Lola Lee Loo, Halfling, Paladin and Morocco. imo, Morocco and Paladin were the best fit.
i didn't think i'd like the arabian spices in Morocco, but now i understand why it's s a fan favorite 😍

Halfling was too nutty for wear, but cute AF. cozy den, flickering hearth, hearty oatmeal before slaying orcs kinda feel.  

Edited by murqmaid

I actually find dirt notes very grounding and good for sleep. (Nah. Definitely no pun intended there. :laugh: ) Since my previous post, I've also found I really enjoy Deep in Earth (which smells to me like a rainsoaked garden) and The Rat Speakers.  The green notes in Nephlim are also soothing. Baba Yaga and the Chicken Legged Hut are also strangely comforting, though I don't often sleep in them. 

Edited by VetchVesper

1 minute ago, VetchVesper said:

I actually find dirt notes very grounding and good for sleep. (Nah. Definitely no pun intended there. :laugh: ) Since my previous post, I've also found I really enjoy Deep in Earth (which smells to me like a rainsoaked garden) and The Rat Speakers.  The violet and green notes in Nephlim are also soothing. Baba Yaga and the Chicken Legged Hut are also strangely comforting, though I don't often sleep in them. 

Speaking of dirt notes, I think I might grab a bottle of the Patchouli, Labdanum, and Ylang Ylang before it goes to wear at night. It's such a mild, soft scent. None of the parts of patchouli that I don't like. Just earth and a little sweetness. 

1 minute ago, Seajewel said:

Speaking of dirt notes, I think I might grab a bottle of the Patchouli, Labdanum, and Ylang Ylang before it goes to wear at night. It's such a mild, soft scent. None of the parts of patchouli that I don't like. Just earth and a little sweetness. 

Huh. I wouldn't have expected it to be earthy. You've peaked my interest. I'll have to check it out!

6 minutes ago, VetchVesper said:

Huh. I wouldn't have expected it to be earthy. You've peaked my interest. I'll have to check it out!

No cola either!! Maybe it's just me.. but that's what I get. like a much less sweet Death Cap (but i've only tried death cap a couple times so don't put too much stock in that comparison). 

11 minutes ago, VetchVesper said:

I actually find dirt notes very grounding and good for sleep. (Nah. Definitely no pun intended there. :laugh: ) Since my previous post, I've also found I really enjoy Deep in Earth (which smells to me like a rainsoaked garden) and The Rat Speakers.  The green notes in Nephlim are also soothing. Baba Yaga and the Chicken Legged Hut are also strangely comforting, though I don't often sleep in them. 

I love the idea of wearing an earthy scent for grounding, yet also on the opposite spectrum an airy scent for lifting into the dream space, when I want to do that kind of work. 
Scent and intention and feeling are so beautifully woven together. 

I’ve been reaching for cozy/smoky scents recently.
Tonight, I think it’s gonna be We Wear the Mask before I snuggle in, as I’m feeling somewhat somber, also grumpy, maybe even just blah about my day. My hormones must be pulling me around. 

2 minutes ago, Seajewel said:

No cola either!! Maybe it's just me.. but that's what I get. like a much less sweet Death Cap (but i've only tried death cap a couple times so don't put too much stock in that comparison). 

ooooohh now I’m intrigued! 

I just put it on again and I think that's how my brain interprets the combo. When I first put it on it goes on with a blast of patchouli but very quickly quiets down. It's not as loud of a patchouli as, say, the Sumatran Red Patchouli SN that I have. My tolerance for patch has really gone down but this is ok. Now that I try really hard to pick out stuff I can sort of sort out that there's a very smooth patch with whatever other stuff mixing in making it kind of read earth for me, but that may not be what others get. I have a very unsophisticated nose, haha. Learning a lot about my tastes this year working through the menage a trois! For example.. turns out I *hate* orange blossom but had no idea until the Lemon Peel Marshmallow Orange Blossom trio went cloyingly medicinally sweet to me and someone told me it was prob OB. I checked the vetiver, ylang ylang, orange blossom trio that I did not like previously and yep, same bad note in there too and that's what makes it go wrong. 

So I felt ready to tackle the Liliths with my newfound knowledge and then the Lab created like 32 scents that all sound kind of good and only like 4 with notes I wanted to avoid. Thanks.... sort of.

@artisjok  Yes, I really like Cancer 2017 when I feel dreamy.  It's not airy, but fresh watery, and always seems a little mystical.  What are your airy, dreamy blends?

@Seajewel  Oh boy, I'm hiding my wallet from the Liliths in anticipation of the Weenies.  There are usually some nice lavender blends in there though.  I wonder if any of them will be good sleep blends.  

4 minutes ago, VetchVesper said:

Yes, I really like Cancer 2017 when I feel dreamy.  It's not airy, but fresh watery, and always seems a little mystical.  What are your airy, dreamy blends?

Ah, water is probably the right element for dreams, honestly. Gotta get me something specifically watery! 
I find lavender to be airy, but I think it depends on the other notes. White Sage SN and Cool It are two I reach for often for that breezy and clear feeling.
The TAL Song of Selune actually works really well for the dream work, though when I first got it I didn’t see how roses would connect. Now I visualize myself walking through rows and rows of rose bushes into my dream space. Lacus Solitudinis is both airy and earth to me, though fades real quick on me. 

My top bedtime favs are resinous lavenders, though. I Am Tired of Tears and Laughter and Winter Stars ‘19 are so comforting to my soul. 

22 minutes ago, artisjok said:

White Sage SN and Cool It are two I reach for often for that breezy and clear feeling.

I made an atmos out of White Sage SN that I would spray on everything before bed.  It was heavenly.  Now I'm using sage, bourbon vanilla, and sandalwood and it's just not the same.

Not necessarily a good sleepytime scent, but several times now I've fallen asleep with Black Tower on. Each time I have unusually vivid, unsettling dreams. I haven't noticed any effect with other scents (good or bad), and love Black Tower when I'm awake, so I'm a bit puzzled. Perhaps something to do with the airiness/wateriness previously mentioned re: dreams, what with the ozone and ambergris... or maybe I just reach for Black Tower when I'm in a mood that would produce weird dreams anyway. 🤔 

I've been LOVING The Bear Prince as a sleep scent lately! 🐻🌹 The Lilac Wood and The Last Unicorn are also lovely for night time.